Anti-spyware worth paying for?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Anti-spyware worth paying for?

Anyone have a good anti spyware or antivirus that is worth paying for and for a good amount?
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Not worth paying for unless you need a complete suite or extensive product support. AVG or Avast anti-virus and Spybot or Ad-Aware spyware killers are plenty good for most.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject:

I use webroot spysweeper.... all the geekheads say its the best one on the market and it costs $29.95 for a 1 year subscription. They also offer a co-spyware/virus package for 39.95 which is still cheaper than Norton or McAfee. http://www.webroot.com/consumer/?WRSID=cde3f7aa515601d4441ac905e761c43e

If you just want free anti-spyware, go to download.com and check out the most downloaded stuff. There is some free stuff that works for most people - the most popular download is lavasoft Ad-Aware which you can download here for free if you want: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10708241.html?tag=lst-4-1

Additionally, if you want to go the free route for an anti-virus program, MS Windows offers a malicious software removal tool which can be adequate. However, you can also find reputable free anti-virus software at download.com... just check out the rating system, read the descriptions, and look to see what has been most downloaded most. Personally, I would just pay for a good anti-virus program myself.

I think you can get by with the free anti-spyware though, although most anti-virus programs come with anti-spyware these days. Make sure if you get one that does, don't get another anti-spyware program or it can potentially mess up your computer.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:

^
I have Webroot.

I use it in conjunction with Norton Internet Security.

It works great!

Although I'm not a geekhead.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:

I only pay for webroot spysweeper. But I use hijackthis, bazooka, and adaware - all free apps. No one spyware app is going to be able to cover every piece of spyware out there - there are too many new viruses out there very day. Best to have more than one.

Spysweeper is easily the best - but you'd really only need it if you ran across something pretty bad. I actually use it now instead of anything like Norton. Spysweeper also acts as a spyware blocker and I've never had a problem since using it as such. If you're just looking to clean off your computer, you can use the free stuff that will work on about 85 - 90% of spyware out there, and if you're still running into problems (or want something preventative), then go for spysweeper.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

All the free ones are making me pay to actually get rid of the crap they found, and now im getting this damn Winantispyware 2007 trying to install itself on my computer, while i get a million popups. Ive had this comp clean for so long, and ONE damn spyware installs itself on my computer and sends it to hell.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
All the free ones are making me pay to actually get rid of the crap they found, and now im getting this damn Winantispyware 2007 trying to install itself on my computer, while i get a million popups. Ive had this comp clean for so long, and ONE damn spyware installs itself on my computer and sends it to hell.

That shouldn't be true with Lavasoft Ad-Aware. Make sure you don't download the business edition... only the one for home use.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
PushingtheLimit wrote:

That shouldn't be true with Lavasoft Ad-Aware. Make sure you don't download the business edition... only the one for home use.

Eh, I remember a friend of mine starting get pop-ups and spyware, so she clicked one of the pop ups that promised to get rid of pop-ups forever. She actually gave them a credit card number, and amazingly enough, the pop-ups never stopped! I told her to contact her bank, stop the transaction, and cancel that card, but she wouldn't listen. I stopped talking to her so I don't know what came of this.

My point is that PushingtheLimit should make sure he/she is using a reputable adware/spyware rather than something that just promises something and is actually more spyware itself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Most of the software out there (especially the firewall software) is so overloaded with crap they aren't worth having. The combination of a NAT router (which I recommend even if you don't run a home network) and good habits is sufficient. I don't run any firewall, AV software, anti-spyware, nothing.

I do have a recommendation for anybody interested in the subject -- Steve Gibson's "Security Now" podcasts. They get into a lot of stuff that's beyond the scope of what the casual user needs to know to stay safe, but they're an absolute goldmine of info:

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Most of the software out there (especially the firewall software) is so overloaded with crap they aren't worth having. The combination of a NAT router (which I recommend even if you don't run a home network) and good habits is sufficient. I don't run any firewall, AV software, anti-spyware, nothing.

I do have a recommendation for anybody interested in the subject -- Steve Gibson's "Security Now" podcasts. They get into a lot of stuff that's beyond the scope of what the casual user needs to know to stay safe, but they're an absolute goldmine of info:

LINK

I have a router as well setup with mac filtering I have only gotten bit by some spyware and virus's because of my own doing. What I use is Adaware, Windows defender and AVG anti virus software I would not pay for any anti spyware software there really isn't a point when you can get it for free.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Also process explorer is a must and can be found here I like to see what my engine is running under the hood. This is a must for any system admin and I use it on my home computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:

All you need are these three: Adaware, Spybot, and Spywareblaster. They're all free.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
Also process explorer is a must and can be found here I like to see what my engine is running under the hood. This is a must for any system admin and I use it on my home computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Yup. The original company that did this (did a lot of cool stuff, actually) was Sysinternals. Microsoft bought them last year and is now publishing Sysinternals' stuff, and gave their developers (at least Mark) jobs.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:

If you want something to pay, buy Kaspersky. Kaspersky is the whole package and uses very little RAM of your computer, thus it will not slow down your system. Also it's very efficient, IMO it's the best anitvirus software out there.

Don't use Norton, it's probably one of worst considering you have to pay to get that junk.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

LINK

Yeah I didn't have problems for almost 2 years, I never ran any AV or Anti-spyware. Then one day when I was using the Stumble feature on Firefox, it took me to a bad site, and installed a virus by itself. That just sent my comp to hell, so I just decided to run a system restore and get it back to when I first bought it.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject:

I installed this a few years back, and have had absolutely no problems since.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: