Lakers in the News 7/23/15: Robert Upshaw and the curious case of the Lakers' final roster slot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Robert Upshaw and the curious case of the Lakers' final roster slot
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers sit at 14 signed players, leaving them a single spot to fill out before locking in their roster for the season. Their depth chart is currently a mix-and-match of veterans, fresh talent and prospects that are left over from the previous three seasons. Despite the team still having a handful of veteran's minimum players, their flexibility is now compromised by the number of young players they've compiled. This, from what we can glean from general manager Mitch Kupchak's most recent comments on Robert Upshaw and the potential of adding to the roster elsewhere, is one of the reasons they've yet to finalize their 15th player.

Upshaw makes a great deal of sense as the final prospect for the Lakers, and he's coming off what was a successful Las Vegas Summer League run. He's still very much a project player, but he's the kind that's worth the attention of a franchise. Put another way, Jim Buss loves developing big men, and Upshaw is the best prospect he's gotten a chance to oversee since Andrew Bynum. There are red flags regarding Robert's off-court decisions, though, which will continue to be an asterisk in any conversation about his place in the NBA.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/7/23/9022785/la-lakers-free-agency-summer-league-robert-upsaw-roster-news
Like any great GM, he wants to maintain as much flexibility with his roster, as long as he can.

With Mitch exploring options, such as the Brendon Haywood situation - Young, Sacre and/or RKelly might be on their way out to open the door for Upshaw. With all three players having guaranteed contracts, they are assured to get their money

How would the Lakers' offer compared to what Philly and Portland can offer?
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/23/report-cavs-likely-to-trade-brendan-haywoods-contract-to-either-blazers-or-sixers/

Hope "Cha" will stay cool during his stay in China!
I said this weeks ago and I will say it again: if the Lakers keep Sacre over Upshaw, my head will explode. Assuming Upshaw has not done anything more, off the court, that we are unaware of.
It is now a "Numbers Game" - as oppose to talent.

Can the Lakers afford to keep a player that they are not expecting to produce this upcoming year, especially with the health of The Black Mamba being a big concern and remembering how the injury bug has destroyed the last two seasons.

If the Brendon Haywood transaction goes through with RKelly, Swaggy and Sacre goes to Cleveland - the problem of having Upshaw on the Lakers will be solved. If J.R. Smith resigns with Cleveland, the Cavs have little need for Swaggy. J.R. opted out of his contract, but has yet resigned with any team
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2498487-jr-smith-latest-contract-news-rumors-speculation-on-cavaliers-stars-future

Mitch has to convince that his deal is better than the offers from Philly, Portland and other teams. What are people's thoughts on why the Lakers' deal would be better?
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
I think Barkley got something right for once!

I think he explained the Kobe / teammates issue right on the money!

Charles is always wrong and Kobe should show up.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
I think Barkley got something right for once!

I think he explained the Kobe / teammates issue right on the money!

Charles is always wrong and Kobe should show up.

I never said Kobe shouldn't reach out to the new guys...just that Barkley explained Kobe's reaction (or lack of reaction) well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: