UNC lands Seventh Woods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: UNC lands Seventh Woods

Everyone remembers this kid's 14 years old highlight

What you may not know is that years later his game is completely different, although the crazy athleticism remains. But he doesn't use it "all" the time anymore.

Seventh Woods Junior going into Senior Tape

Seems he's slowed his game down a bit and is trying to play under control and matured. According to everyone that's seen him outside of highlights all the crazy athleticism is still there he just uses it in spurts as he no longer goes 100 mph and doesn't try to dunk on everyone.

That's good for his overall game and maturity, but it won't make him "youtube hype". But it's good that he's trying to get his game to a more complete style as opposed to relying solely on his athleticism.

He reminded me a bit of a Westbrook-like PG before, but it seems going into his Senior Year he's gonna play a style closer to CP's. Hey, I won't hate on it, he'll be a more complete player in the long run, and a kid making that decision while he's so young to throw away all the flash he's capable of via his athleticism to instead play a more well rounded game and focus on being a point guard and getting his teammates involved?

It's that kind of thinking that can separate players. Unfortunately he broke his wrist last season so he's been under the radar and his rankings dropped as Dennis Smith Jr is now considered the best PG of the 2016 class and Woods has dropped to around 10-14th.

Even still, watch out for this kid, he's back now and when all's said and done if he balls out he'll make people remember in due time.

Now for the reason why ya'll are here.

UNC GOT HIM!!

Seventh Woods commits to UNC over South Carolina

North Carolina will exit the early signing period with a borderline top-10 class after ESPN 100 guard Seventh Woods chose the Tar Heels over South Carolinaon Wednesday morning.

"Coach Roy Williams and his coaching staff believed in me from day one and UNC has always been my dream school growing up," Woods told ESPN.com's Reggie Rankin.

A 6-foot-1 guard from Hammond School (South Carolina), Woods made a name for himself early in his high school career with YouTube highlights and mixtapes showcasing his athleticism and dunking ability. However, Woods is more than just a guy who makes plays in the open court. He has improved as a distributor and decision-maker as his high school career has progressed, although he still is working on being more of a pure point guard at the next level. Woods also is capable of making shots from the perimeter. He had seven straight games with at least 17 points to finish off the spring session of the Under Armour Association circuit.

Woods will give Roy Williams another backcourt weapon when he enters the program, and will help ease the loss of senior All-American Marcus Paige. Nate Britt and Joel Berry will be back to run the point, but Woods gives the Tar Heels an added element of explosiveness on the perimeter.
http://espn.go.com/ncb/story/_/id/14104286/espn-100-guard-seventh-woods-commits-north-carolina-tar-heels

Roy Williams is gonna love this kid. You know Roy loves his point guards and he JUST got Seventh. Oh this is gonna be fun if it all goes well!!

Just as the Tarheels are going to watch Marcus Paige enter the draft after this year, they will be watching Seventh Woods on campus the next. Roy must be beside himself with happiness right now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject:

Shocked nobody even mentions it. The kid is going to be special as long as he remains healthy and keeps his head on his shoulders. Got a CP vibe about him, in terms of mentality and feel for the game, just more athletic.

He did this with a hurt knee. When he's at 100% he's gonna be a sight. Roy Williams is gonna do wonders with this kid with the way he is with point guards. I can feel it.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject:

Looks pretty good but too bad he's so small
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

Damn, he hasn't grown. Right now he's a SG in a PG body. I hope UNC develops him well.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Damn, he hasn't grown. Right now he's a SG in a PG body. I hope UNC develops him well.

Thats if unc doesn't get hit with a shut down probation soon.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject:

Seventh Woods 33 points highlights

The athleticism this kid has is crazy, just how quick he gets up, and he has really worked on that jumper. If Roy and UNC develops that point guard game he's gonna be something to deal with in the NBA. He gets to 6'3 his jumper, nose for defense and athleticism will already make him dangerous in the league from a baseline point of view.

Kind of kid that would immensely benefit from a camp with Steve Nash in his first NBA off-season or season for that matter.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Can't wait.

That out of bounds floater he does. He actually practices that, and can hit that consistently in games.

He rarely has to, but it shows just how many avenues he works on, even the 'impossible shots'. Much like another kid, from Lower Merion used to...

But the thing about Seventh is, that mixtape did more harm than good for him, because people went to games expecting him to wreck face and be Westbrook 2.0. He's just not that kind of player, he has it all in his game but he's more focused on his team and trying to be that kind of team player when in a team environment. Often looks for his teammates and looks to score when the opening is there. Imagine someone with D'angelo's temperament but has the athleticism to leap through the roof and explosiveness on both sides of the floor and you have Seventh. Which is why people sort of fell off the hype train about the guy when they watched him play cause he was trying to learn the point, and wasn't "Westbrook'ing it" each time. Another reason why UNC is perfect for him.

Seventh vs Dennis Smith Jr.

If he keeps that stop and pop and step back fof screen middie consistent he's gonna be a problem. It's something CP has also mastered and can separate scorers. Having a solid mid range in those open opportunities helps a LOT.

The game is predicated around the 3 and drive mentality, but if you have a good mid range shot that they can't just stand back expecting the drive when you come off the screen, you open up a LOT of other opportunities. It's part of the reason why Clarkson was so hard to guard last year. He's gotten away from that this year though.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject:

AI clone
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

The thing about Seventh Woods is, athletically, as a sophomore, .... I figured that he would project into Kris Dunn athletically and in terms of defense. Dunn is really off the chart as a PG defender when it comes to forcing turnovers, rebounding, and even blocking shots.

Woods can do that.

It's also easy to see how Seventh Woods was basically Lou Williams out there. I never really saw the creative, intuitive passing like Derrick Rose or even Shaun Livingston out of HS. I think that's a big part as to why Woods isn't as highly rated.

Dennis Smith Jr. is the better athlete. Both guys change directions well. I can't believe how strong the PG crop is for the upcoming freshman.

Fultz measures taller and longer than Clarkson.
Ntilikina is actually SF size w 6'5" height and 7' wingspan.
We didn't even talk about D'Aaron Fox.

It's this freshman crop leading to why I want Caris Levert so badly. The quicks, speed, athleticism, length are all there and he can match up. He can even play some PG of his own.

lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

Would love LeVert at 32 but we really need size up front. Would rather look at possibly Hammons
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject:

I prefer five iron
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: