Police Kill Security Guard Who'd Just Apprehended an "Active Shooter"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

In before the security guard was "acting suspicious" and made "sudden advancements"
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

White men are twice as likely to get shot by police than a black man

A new look at racial disparities in police use of deadly force

There is clear evidence of racial differences in fatal police shootings in terms of population proportions. Black Americans are only about 13 percent of the population, but make up over 30 percent of people fatally shot by police.

Also, the point is not simply the raw numbers of people who get shot by police. The majority of police shootings are justified and more white people are shot by police because they are a larger percentage of the population. The point is that when it comes to unjustified shootings, race becomes an issue - which is why it is appropriate to point out when a white officer is involved in an unjustified shooting of a black man.

You are correct I worded it incorrectly. I was looking at the raw numbers of shootings. However still doesn't change the notion that the headline is race baiting.

You are missing the point. The number of unjustified shootings is heavily skewed towards black men by white officers. To such an extent that it is a major topic of discussion and tension in the nation. So pointing out that factor in this shooting in the headline is not "race baiting", it is the headline.

I think it's irresponsible journalism to insert race into the situation unless it's actually warranted. We disagree and since nobody's mind is going to be changed here let's just agree to disagree.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

There is clear evidence of racial differences in fatal police shootings in terms of population proportions. Black Americans are only about 13 percent of the population, but make up over 30 percent of people fatally shot by police.

Also, the point is not simply the raw numbers of people who get shot by police. The majority of police shootings are justified and more white people are shot by police because they are a larger percentage of the population. The point is that when it comes to unjustified shootings, race becomes an issue - which is why it is appropriate to point out when a white officer is involved in an unjustified shooting of a black man.

You are correct I worded it incorrectly. I was looking at the raw numbers of shootings. However still doesn't change the notion that the headline is race baiting.

You are missing the point. The number of unjustified shootings is heavily skewed towards black men by white officers. To such an extent that it is a major topic of discussion and tension in the nation. So pointing out that factor in this shooting in the headline is not "race baiting", it is the headline.

I think it's irresponsible journalism to insert race into the situation unless it's actually warranted. We disagree and since nobody's mind is going to be changed here let's just agree to disagree.

>supports Trump
>unironically complains about unnecessarily highlighting race
>continues to support Trump

weird flex but ok
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

You said if its actually warranted. and everyone has given you evidence that it IS warranted. Now can you debate the warranted portions of this discussion? NO, which is why you tried to discontinue the discussion with the "well thats my opinion" type of response. there are facts and there are opinions. This is not an opinion. It was warranted based on factual data patterns.

Now mr or mrs. Thief. Why are you still being so disingenuous about white men shooting black men when they dont have to?

When you see articles titled or comments stated "black on black crime/shooting." do you also think that is race baiting? Or is it true?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm with Thief.
White officers killing black civilians without cause isn't a racial thing.
Neither was slavery. Or birtherism. Or the Muslim ban. Or Jim Crow laws. Or the prison industrial complex.
Sure all these things affected/affect non-White individuals. But that's just a coincidence. And if YOU say racism was/is a factor. YOU are race baiting.
#MAGA
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

I agree, and I have pointed why in this case it clearly was warranted. So you are either contradicting yourself or you are completely insincere.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

psycho decides to attack nearby establishment
concealed carrier manages to kill him
cops show up and shoot concealed carrier thinking he was the bad guy

how unrealistic is this scenario
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I like how the security guard had the self-control to apprehend rather than shoot the suspect but then the police officer didn't.

Did the security officer have a gun or did he get the gun from the shooter? Maybe that's why he didn't try to shoot him originally. Or maybe the shooter didn't have his gun in his hand at the time. Just shows the confusion that can happen in this type of situation. Even if the good guys have guns how do you tell who the good guy is? You would think that the guy wearing the security guard outfit would be safe but then you could just have a shooter put on something that looks like a uniform so can't really blame the officer for treating him like a suspect.

That's ridiculous.

LINK

Posting a facebook meme likes it's actual facts is extreme face palm material.

In a report on its preliminary investigation released Tuesday, Illinois State Police, which is handling the police shooting, said Roberson was dressed "in plain black clothing with no markings readily identifying him as a security guard."

Roberson was shot by the Midlothian officer after being given "multiple verbal commands" to drop his gun and get on the ground, according to witnesses, Illinois State Police said Tuesday.

Sounds like a bouncer at a bar. Now do you understand why I asked the question on whether he had a gun? How many bouncers carry firearms?
Also lol at the race baiting article title
Police officer who shot armed black security guard is white

Yes, that’s the police position, which actually doesn’t correspond with the witnesses themselves. Apparently, they forgot to ask the witnesses what they saw before assigning them testimony.

Should be easy to clear this up. Just ask the employer if there is a uniform that says security on it that he had to wear on duty. My original thought though was you always hear the argument that more people should just carry guns and it always makes me think if I was in that situation how the heck would I know who the bad guy is? I'd probably end up getting shot either by the perpetrator because I would hesitate unless I knew for sure he was the bad guy or I'd get shot from some other gun carrier because he was a little gung ho and saw me with a gun and assumed I was the bad guy. Or just get shot from a good samaritan firing off rounds into a crowd trying to hit the bad guy.

It’s even easier than that. When the police statement quotes what witnesses said (indicating that the police repeatedly told him to drop the weapon and he refused), and the witnesses say, no, that’s not what we saw, then you know the police are outright lying.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

>supports Trump
>unironically complains about unnecessarily highlighting race
>continues to support Trump

weird flex but ok

It’s ok to talk negatively about “them”. It’s not ok for “them” to talk negatively about us. It’s simple really. You’re puzzled because you’re expecting a good faith argument, or at least an acknowledgement of the hypocrisy. But equality, reciprocity, or consistency are not features of what you’re arguing against. He’s just trying to see if he can appeal to your good faith and decency to take your comfort with making racist claims away.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

It’s even easier than that. When the police statement quotes what witnesses said (indicating that the police repeatedly told him to drop the weapon and he refused), and the witnesses say, no, that’s not what we saw, then you know the police are outright lying.

Where do you see that in this article? Only thing I see from witness account was some thought he was wearing clothes that said security. Again, easy to find the truth on this one.

Last edited by The Thief on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'm with Thief.
White officers killing black civilians without cause isn't a racial thing.
Neither was slavery. Or birtherism. Or the Muslim ban. Or Jim Crow laws. Or the prison industrial complex.
Sure all these things affected/affect non-White individuals. But that's just a coincidence. And if YOU say racism was/is a factor. YOU are race baiting.
#MAGA

Nice straw man. All I'm saying is you can't assume racism is the motive for everything. If there is evidence to support it then sure point it out. We don't have any evidence at this point the officer had racist motives.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:

I agree, and I have pointed why in this case it clearly was warranted. So you are either contradicting yourself or you are completely insincere.

You've done no such thing. Oh wait because he's white then that's your justification. That's racist.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s ok to talk negatively about “them”. It’s not ok for “them” to talk negatively about us. It’s simple really. You’re puzzled because you’re expecting a good faith argument, or at least an acknowledgement of the hypocrisy. But equality, reciprocity, or consistency are not features of what you’re arguing against. He’s just trying to see if he can appeal to your good faith and decency to take your comfort with making racist claims away.

You're perfectly fine supporting the racism angle when we don't even have all the facts yet you are claiming that I'm not arguing in good faith. Sure buddy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Where do you see that in this article? Only thing I see from witness account was some thought he was wearing clothes that said security. Again, easy to find the truth on this one.

I take it you believe the police not witnesses. It didn't say thought. The account said his vest said security.
Quote:
"We all yelled. 'He's a security. He's a security,' and without ... giving any thought, they shot him," Harris told the station. "The vest said security as well ... and they shot him in the side."

How do you easily find the truth?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The Thief wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I take it you believe the police not witnesses. It didn't say thought. The account said his vest said security.
Quote:
"We all yelled. 'He's a security. He's a security,' and without ... giving any thought, they shot him," Harris told the station. "The vest said security as well ... and they shot him in the side."

How do you easily find the truth?

When triggered Trump supporters tend to repeatedly use "alt-facts"

Nobody changed the article. It said witnesses told the cops not to shoot him

*Free kill on a negro day is what that was

THEY KILLED THE (bleep) SECURITY GUARD...

That takes a sincere level of detestable stupidity to shoot the security guard

Did he point the gun at them or was he black?
They fear blacks and that leads them to want to control them more
which easily leads them to be more violent towards blacks

Takes a sincere level of racism to think cops are not more violent towards blacks
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jemel Roberson was wearing a cap and sweatshirt that had the word “Security” on them when he was fatally shot by a Midlothian police officer while Roberson was trying to subdue a suspect early Sunday at a Robbins bar, a man who said he was working with him at the bar told the Tribune.

Dorian Myrickes, 43, who said he was wounded during the chaotic early-morning incident at the bar, also said the Midlothian officer did warn Roberson to drop his gun but fired at him within “not even five seconds” of the warning.

But Myrickes, who spoke Thursday morning from a suburban hospital bed, said another officer at the scene rebuked the Midlothian cop after Roberson’s shooting.

Quote:
“One cop ... he said, ‘Man, you didn’t have to do that, you didn’t have to do that. We know these guys. We told you they’re security,’’

A second man who said he witnessed the shooting from his back porch next door to the bar, Jeff Carey, said he heard the officer tell Roberson to get on the ground before the officer fired on him.

The officer “didn’t give the guy any chance to identify himself or anything,” Carey said. “He just started shooting. I think it was more out of fear. You know what I’m saying? Just fear.”

Myrickes also said Roberson initially sought assistance from the Midlothian officer to help him subdue a suspect from an earlier shooting that had brought several police officers to the scene.

Everyone started panicking, running in different directions,” he said. “I stumbled out the front door. … That’s when I ran into the (Midlothian) police officer (who) had the AR-15, and he pointed it straight at my head, he said, ‘Put your hands up.’”

Myrickes said he told the officer he was a security guard and not to shoot him.

He comes over, puts the flashlight in my face and said, ‘You’ve been hit,’” Myrickes said. “He pulled my sweatshirt back and told me I was hit with a gun. He was so aggressive, and I said, ‘Let me go back in the club and warn them that a cop’s coming in with a gun.’

“He (runs) past me so fast — I made it back into the club — and he jumps up on the bar, points the gun at the bartender, shouting, ‘Get on the ground!’”

Myrickes said there were other police officers already in the bar at that point but that none were helping Roberson with the suspect from the earlier shooting, whom he was holding at gunpoint facedown on the ground just outside the side door.

“He was yelling (to Roberson to) drop the gun,” Myrickes said. “Jemel said, ‘I’m security. You need to handcuff this guy, get (him) under control.’ We don’t want the guy to flip over and take the gun from Jemel.”

Myrickes said that from the time the officer ordered Roberson to drop the gun to the time the officer fired the first shot was “not even five seconds.”

“The first shot goes in (Roberson’s) leg,” Myrickes said. “(The officer) waves the gun across the bar, everybody’s like, ‘Whoa, whoa,’ and then (the officer) shoots (Roberson) again. I saw Jemel get hit a second time in the side.”

Myrickes said he then began to pass out but heard another cop in the bar rebuke the officer who shot Roberson.

“One cop, black cop with glasses, he said, ‘Man, you didn’t have to do that, you didn’t have to do that. We know these guys. We told you they’re security.’”

More Detailed Account
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The National Rifle Association and its media outlet have long peddled the narrative that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun and they have frequently suggested that the victims of mass shootings could have saved themselves had they been armed. During the November 13 edition of NRATV’s Relentless, NRA spokesperson and host Dana Loesch referred to Roberson as “a good guy with a gun, one of those individuals that anti-gun advocates love to pretend do not exist.”

Even though NRATV continually pushes the “good guy” narrative, statistics and anecdotal commentary from law enforcement repeatedly prove armed citizens rarely stop mass shootings or violent crime incidents. In 2016, the Dallas police chief anecdotally stated that this type of civilian action creates more confusion for responding officers. And a 2000-2013 FBI study of 160 active shooter incidents -- in which “individuals [were] actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in populated areas” -- found that [color=red]only four incidents were stopped by armed security guards and one was stopped by a licensed and armed citizen, whereas 21 incidents were stopped by unarmed citizens.[/color] A 2015 analysis by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found that the likelihood of people sustaining an injury during a robbery didn’t change based on whether or not they were armed.

NRA Myths Debunked
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

The cop who shot him

TWICE ..

Deserves the Electric Chair

Premeditated murder
Quote:
“One cop, black cop with glasses, he said, ‘Man, you didn’t have to do that, you didn’t have to do that. We know these guys. We told you they’re security.’”

Let me guess...
No charges so far
Went home and enjoyed dinner with his family
No Drug tests?
Secured the murdering officers social media history?

Please don't let this one get away

The security guard looked up at him and told him he was security and asked for his help

The conspiracy nut in me thinks there are bigger forces at play holding down the average new police hires I.Q.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I would lean towards believing the police report but an easy way to tell would be to ask his employer what the dress attire is for the position. That would tell you whether or not he's wearing anything that says security on it.
jodeke wrote:

Here is one possible reason why even though people were yelling it didn't register.
https://loadoutroom.com/7121/shocking-facts-gun-fights/
Adrenaline is something we cannot avoid in a high threat situation, especially in a gun fight for your life....When your body experiences an adrenaline overload, you may experience a few of these symptoms, tunnel vision, audio exclusion, shortness of breath, etc.

The officer obviously screwed up big time but when you're faced with someone with a gun on a call where you already know people were shot he's already expecting that he could be fired. It only takes a fraction of a second for that to happen so he has to make a split second decision and tragically chose poorly.

Just shows you that more guns is not necessarily the answer. In the Thousand Oaks shooting if multiple civilians had guns can you imagine the confusion that would have happened. Maybe they could have gotten lucky and taken out the shooter but just as likely they probably would have shot innocent people or been shot themselves in the chaos.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I would lean towards believing the police report but an easy way to tell would be to ask his employer what the dress attire is for the position. That would tell you whether or not he's wearing anything that says security on it.
jodeke wrote:

Here is one possible reason why even though people were yelling it didn't register.
https://loadoutroom.com/7121/shocking-facts-gun-fights/
Adrenaline is something we cannot avoid in a high threat situation, especially in a gun fight for your life....When your body experiences an adrenaline overload, you may experience a few of these symptoms, tunnel vision, audio exclusion, shortness of breath, etc.

The officer obviously screwed up big time but when you're faced with someone with a gun on a call where you already know people were shot he's already expecting that he could be fired. It only takes a fraction of a second for that to happen so he has to make a split second decision and tragically chose poorly.

Just shows you that more guns is not necessarily the answer. In the Thousand Oaks shooting if multiple civilians had guns can you imagine the confusion that would have happened. Maybe they could have gotten lucky and taken out the shooter but just as likely they probably would have shot innocent people or been shot themselves in the chaos.

Explain an officer saying “One cop, black cop with glasses, he said, ‘Man, you didn’t have to do that, "you didn’t have to do that. We know these guys. We told you they’re security.’”

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Robersons Security Unitform

Video from a Night at Manny's Blue Room Lounge

Robbins Illinois Demographics : 91% Black, 6% White

Midlothian Illinois Demographics : 64% White, 21% Hispanic, 7% Black

Officer Trigger is from the Midlothian Police Department. Officers from the Robbins Police Department were already on scene and managed not to shoot any of the patrons, including the Security Guard. Officer Trigger of the Midlothian Police department arrived on scene at the "scary" bar full of "scary" Black people in the "scary" Black neighborhood and, by witness accounts, went straight into aggressive Gestapo authoritarian mode and shot the security guard in under 5 seconds.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Skip that

Explain the second shot?

First was in leg..

I think I said it earlier
Trigger speed relates to melanin level
What is melanin
https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-melanin-definition-production-function.html
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Robersons Security Unitform

Is there a way to paint his face white or put a white guys face in the uniform
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Midlothian Police Department culture:

Quote:
The former second in command at the Midlothian Police Department was sentenced to 15 months in prison Friday for repeatedly striking a man with a metal baton without legal justification outside a bar nearly four years ago.

Steven Zamiar, a 13-year veteran who rose to deputy police chief with the small south suburban department, nodded his head slightly as U.S. District Judge Sharon Johnson Coleman handed down a sentence far below what prosecutors sought.

Midlothian Police Dept
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Something about a name

Mid loathing ton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: