Will the Lakers Regret Trading Promising Center Ivica Zubac?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
The upside is Magic getting fired. First Lou, now Zu. Why can't people see that Magic has no idea how to evaluate talent? I mean he's got Lebron for free and still couldn't build a team with a winning record around. His signings have been awful. If you want to see the Lakers continue to be mediocre, then continue supporting him.

Lou was traded for a draft pick and as a move to tank that next summer.
All the pundits said it was a smart move at the time.
He’s obviously good but he would have played us out of tank contention.
We got the #2 pick as a result

Last edited by KOBE WAN on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

Yes, but we need more veterans like Bullock than young players
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
george w kush wrote:
I don't mind trading him, as mentioned we can't afford him and he is too young to be a starting center on a championship squad. But I felt what we got for him was complete garbage.

Zubac maybe young, but him at center actually gave Warriors and Thunder fits in the paint. And we'll probably be facing them in the playoffs.

As for not being able to keep him, true, but at least for Zubac we have an *option* just in case. We can't afford Muscala either at $9.5 mil cap hold. At least Zubac, whose cap hold is just $1.9 mil, we have more options to do things in the off season.

This trade is really a head scratcher.

West really screwed Magic over imho. Magic could only pry Muscala who is only a 34% long ranger shooter without even securing a draft pick from the Clippers? Should've just kept Brook Lopez in the summer.

West isn’t the GM. Just to let you know.

And neither is Magic.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
george w kush wrote:
I don't mind trading him, as mentioned we can't afford him and he is too young to be a starting center on a championship squad. But I felt what we got for him was complete garbage.

Zubac maybe young, but him at center actually gave Warriors and Thunder fits in the paint. And we'll probably be facing them in the playoffs.

As for not being able to keep him, true, but at least for Zubac we have an *option* just in case. We can't afford Muscala either at $9.5 mil cap hold. At least Zubac, whose cap hold is just $1.9 mil, we have more options to do things in the off season.

This trade is really a head scratcher.

West really screwed Magic over imho. Magic could only pry Muscala who is only a 34% long ranger shooter without even securing a draft pick from the Clippers? Should've just kept Brook Lopez in the summer.

West isn’t the GM. Just to let you know.

And neither is Magic.

Frank pulling one on us would be the more accurate statement.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject:

Anyone who cares about Lakers wins probably already is regretting this trade. Muscala getting injured does not help either.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What I understand is they traded him to rid themselves of Beasley because he and Luke were at odds. If there was a riff between Luke and Beasley I think the way to go would have been to waive him. The Clippers waived him, were overjoyed to get Zu. He has so much upside and he's only 21. I see him becoming a better than average center. From my perch I think the Pelicans played Magic. A Trumpism "We'll see what happens."

I think the rationale in that deal was Zu is going to get more than we wanted to offer this summer.

I agree it doesn't make sense to move him though. At worst, we could have gotten a future 2nd round pick facilitating a S&T with another team over the cap.

Very odd move.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

Y E S
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject:

If muscala can't play the trade is completely useless, when given playing time he was definitely our second best center...this was a mulligan by the FO to get shooters for a playoff run....just a really unnecessary move and the Lakers MUST stop the habit of trading off or getting rid of young players when their value is lowest...it's just been a real killer for the franchise for the last 4-5 years
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
If muscala can't play the trade is completely useless, when given playing time he was definitely our second best center...this was a mulligan by the FO to get shooters for a playoff run....just a really unnecessary move and the Lakers MUST stop the habit of trading off or getting rid of young players when their value is lowest...it's just been a real killer for the franchise for the last 4-5 years

You can't discount the players' wishes. It's just as likely that Zubac's agent asked for a future salary that the Lakers knew they couldn't / wouldn't pay.

With that knowledge, it's also likely that the Lakers did Zubac a favor in trading him to a team who had interest in paying him this summer.

I'm not a fan of Magic/Pelinka's moves either. I think this could have been handled differently. I don't think it had ANYTHING to do with undervaluing our youth, though.

Russell was sent out to get rid of Mozgoz, get Lopez and eventually a pick that became Kuzma...good trade.

Randle was let go to have a chance at PG13, to sign McGee and play Kuzma...Randle would not have likely started and I think this was made clear to him. In that scenario, I have no problem with their decision, though in hindsight, I'd rather have Randle at the 5 than Rondo at the 1...which was the basic swap (NOP/LAL). Hindsight is 20/20 though...

Don't forget that the Lakers could have had PG13 and DMC for a package centered around Ingram/Lonzo...they didn't sell then.

The narrative that the Lakers don't value their youth is Revisionist's History. The facts do not support it.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject:

I think this in itself revisionist history

GameCock-MD wrote:
av3773 wrote:

You can't discount the players' wishes. It's just as likely that Zubac's agent asked for a future salary that the Lakers knew they couldn't / wouldn't pay.

With that knowledge, it's also likely that the Lakers did Zubac a favor in trading him to a team who had interest in paying him this summer.

I'm not a fan of Magic/Pelinka's moves either. I think this could have been handled differently. I don't think it had ANYTHING to do with undervaluing our youth, though.

Russell was sent out to get rid of Mozgoz, get Lopez and eventually a pick that became Kuzma...good trade.

Randle was let go to have a chance at PG13, to sign McGee and play Kuzma...Randle would not have likely started and I think this was made clear to him. In that scenario, I have no problem with their decision, though in hindsight, I'd rather have Randle at the 5 than Rondo at the 1...which was the basic swap (NOP/LAL). Hindsight is 20/20 though...

Don't forget that the Lakers could have had PG13 and DMC for a package centered around Ingram/Lonzo...they didn't sell then.

The narrative that the Lakers don't value their youth is Revisionist's History. The facts do not support it.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I think this in itself revisionist history

GameCock-MD wrote:
av3773 wrote:

You're free to have that as your opinion.

When viewed in context, the Lakers have not given up on young players. Disagreeing with a move is not in itself proof the move was bad.

Emotion does not equal evidence.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks for suggesting I'm making statements with out context, you should have stopped with your first line.

You're second two lines are you just talking to the mirror, but hey you do you
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:
av3773 wrote:

If the FO thought that starting Kuzma over Randle was a good idea then we are screwed.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Not drafting Mitchell Robinson is the bigger mistake
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: