Estimated that 100 million sharks a year are killed just for their fins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Estimated that 100 million sharks a year are killed just for their fins

They don't even take the meat?
https://www.wired.com/2010/09/video-shark-finning/?intcid=inline_amp

Article I'm reading says they
Chop off the fins
Dump it back in ocean
Still alive

I'm not sure I'd like my self if that was my job

It's not a necessity
And it will surely lead to destroying our whole ecosystem

Humans were given a Heaven
We destroyed it with our ego and arrogance

Human doesn't appreciate Nature
Nature created human and can remove it

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject:

Keep up the good fight!

https://www.upworthy.com/thanks-to-yao-ming-killing-sharks-for-their-fins-is-down-50-and-hes-just-getting-started

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/article/2137101/jackie-chan-yao-ming-back-ad-campaign-against-illegal-wildlife-trade
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Never had shark fin soup but from what I read in unbiased reviews is that while it is good, the shark fin definitely is not an essential component as it could easily be substituted with a more sustainable seafood item.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Never had shark fin soup but from what I read in unbiased reviews is that while it is good, the shark fin definitely is not an essential component as it could easily be substituted with a more sustainable seafood item.

It's literally just to add crunch. It has nothing to do with the flavor of the soup.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject:

similar to how Elephants and Rhinos are butchered and left for a miserable death....these extreme crimes against basic humanity are one of the few areas I believe Saudi Arabia type criminal punishments are warranted.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

We are just punishing ourselves with this lack of care for the balance of Nature

Friend of mine was a Fishing Boat Assistant Captain/Captain more than 20 years.

Two things made him leave.. prolly more but thats all he told me about

The Preservatives they were forcing him to put on the fish. His ships caught/processed/portioned/froze and wrapped the catch.
He no longer trusted them and couldn't in good faith continue his work.

*It is on your fish in the markets if ever frozen.. unless you buy differently. Once you know.. you taste it.. especially on Kroger Shrimp vs Whole Foods shrimp.. ruined my cheap fish joy
ALSO..

This is probably 20 years back now

The scales and guts etc that they leave on the deck has to be put in large vats and brought back to be used for fertilizers and what not.. But.. strangely it becomes flammable SO they are forced to put a cancer causing flame retardant chemical on the vats.

*He was somewhat ok with it
**But found out many fishermen would dump it back into the pristine waters of Alaska and BC etc.. causing the wild fish there to take on the defects of this chemical pollution.

Just found this study of only our waste water treatment and its effects on fish
Quote:
he team reports finding males with female sex organs, reduced sperm counts, less competitive mating behaviors, and in some cases, actually producing eggs. They also found estrogens commonly found in plastics cause defects in fish heart valves. The team reports also that offspring of fish exposed to such chemicals were more sensitive to the chemicals in general in subsequent exposures.

Water samples collected at 50 different sites around Britain showed that 20 percent of those tested positive for chemicals believed to be harmful to fish and other water creatures. They found over 200 chemicals in the water that have been identified as having a negative impact on marine life.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-freshwater-male-fish-exposed-chemicals.html#jCp

Twenty years back... Let me tell you.. Humanity did not this problem and we eat the fish..
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't want to doubt that 100 million sharks are killed every year, but I didn't know there were that many sharks in the ocean. Think about it, if 100 million are killed a year, then in 10 years, that's 1 billion sharks killed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I don't want to doubt that 100 million sharks are killed every year, but I didn't know there were that many sharks in the ocean. Think about it, if 100 million are killed a year, then in 10 years, that's 1 billion sharks killed.

Earth's surface is 70+% ocean. That's a vast realm for sharks to exist in at great numbers. Sharks are the most proliferate, large sized apex predator in all the planet's oceans. So I don't doubt the numbers.

But there is one thing that is not in doubt, shark finning is a catastrophic problem facing our oceans and I have seen it first hand. Years ago I was on a live-aboard dive boat that was hopping around the Sea of Cortez. One of the dive sites on the trip was a sea mount known for the large number of hammerhead sharks that frequent it. Our boat anchored there shortly after a long-lining boat had gone through. The sea mount had easily a couple of dozen shark carcasses scattered across it, and then there's the dozens of others that must have drifted off or sank well down the sea mouth beyond diving depth.

The captain and crew of the boat said that they had reported the presence of the long-lines to the Mexican fisheries authorities after their previous stop at the sea mount a couple of weeks prior, but knew the report was going to be blown off as others had been before.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

It’s not that good. Certainly not for the price, and definitely not at the cost of slaughtering sharks by the millions just for one part.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
similar to how Elephants and Rhinos are butchered and left for a miserable death....these extreme crimes against basic humanity are one of the few areas I believe Saudi Arabia type criminal punishments are warranted.

Gorillas, too. Believe it or not, parts of them are called "bush meat" (really). There have been similar attempts to get bush meat banned similar to the shark fin/ivory pushes. Another thing is the devastation of forest for wood to make charcoal that they sell as cooking fuel for people. Another thing is the theft of crude oil and the messy private refining of it into gasoline that really destroys the sh out of the environment in those places. Parts of Africa are modernizing faster than their ability to provide resources like gas. VICE on HBO has shown what a lot of these things actually look like. It's sobering. Gold mining can also destroy environments as it has in South America. Introduces mercury into the environment. I remember a story of a large mercury leak by a company that was mining gold and they were paying people to pick it up out of the dirt with their hands to bring it back to them. The people in the vid, of course, were ignorant of the risk of touching mercury and they needed the money for their efforts.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/04/asia/philippines-turtles-duct-tape-suitcases-scli-intl/index.html

More than 1,500 live exotic turtles have been found wrapped in duct tape and packed into suitcases at an airport in the Philippines.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/04/asia/philippines-turtles-duct-tape-suitcases-scli-intl/index.html

More than 1,500 live exotic turtles have been found wrapped in duct tape and packed into suitcases at an airport in the Philippines.

How did they fit 1,500 turtles into 4 suitcases?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: