D'Angelo Russell thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Somebody correct me if wrong, but isn't DLo's cap hold this offseason $21.1 million?

If so, even if we had traded Ingram instead of him to the Nets to dump Mozgov, that would've left us with ~ $25 million in capspace this offseason (even after renouncing Bullock), not enough for another star.

Would Russell, an all-star in a conference that lost a net total of *five 2018 all-stars to injury/FA/trade (LeBron, DeMar, Oladipo, Wall, Love, and Porky, gaining only Kawhi) be a suitable #2 for LeBron?

Russell's been a ball dominant guard who only scores 2-3 times per game off of assists, and rarely shoots the corner 3. He doesn't cut or move well off the ball. Also, consider that trading away Ingram (instead of Russell) after a subpar rookie season probably doesn't net us the 27th pick, so no Hart at best (or Kuzma at worst).

*(East did gain one former all-star in Blake Griffin, but Blake hadn't been an all-star since 2015. Butler also joined the East, but has struggled a bit and hasn't endeared himself recently to the people who select the all-star reserves)

It's amazing how context only gets applied in one direction.

I honestly am being objective to the best of my awareness. Was doubting the FO and myself for buying in to the Russell trade, until hearing from a Nets writer their cap hold was $21.1 million should they try to keep their young star.

If his cap hold really is $21.1 million, and we had kept him, there's a good chance LeBron is commuting to/from his beach house in Jersey right now while playing for Philly.

His cap hold would be that for 2019 FA, not 2018 FA (when LBJ signed).

Now, we'd have to attach another premium asset to get rid of Moz, or stretch him.

But there was a possibility where you:

1. keep DLO
2. trade others (#2 pick or BI) for PG13
3. sign LBJ (after stretching/trading away Moz with the leftover #2 pick or BI).

How would you like a DLO/PG/LBJ trio? I would.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
Somebody correct me if wrong, but isn't DLo's cap hold this offseason $21.1 million?

If so, even if we had traded Ingram instead of him to the Nets to dump Mozgov, that would've left us with ~ $25 million in capspace this offseason (even after renouncing Bullock), not enough for another star.

Would Russell, an all-star in a conference that lost a net total of *five 2018 all-stars to injury/FA/trade (LeBron, DeMar, Oladipo, Wall, Love, and Porky, gaining only Kawhi) be a suitable #2 for LeBron?

Russell's been a ball dominant guard who only scores 2-3 times per game off of assists, and rarely shoots the corner 3. He doesn't cut or move well off the ball. Also, consider that trading away Ingram (instead of Russell) after a subpar rookie season probably doesn't net us the 27th pick, so no Hart at best (or Kuzma at worst).

*(East did gain one former all-star in Blake Griffin, but Blake hadn't been an all-star since 2015. Butler also joined the East, but has struggled a bit and hasn't endeared himself recently to the people who select the all-star reserves)

It's amazing how context only gets applied in one direction.

I honestly am being objective to the best of my awareness. Was doubting the FO and myself for buying in to the Russell trade, until hearing from a Nets writer their cap hold was $21.1 million should they try to keep their young star.

If his cap hold really is $21.1 million, and we had kept him, there's a good chance LeBron is commuting to/from his beach house in Jersey right now while playing for Philly.

His cap hold would be that for 2019 FA, not 2018 FA (when LBJ signed).

Now, we'd have to attach another premium asset to get rid of Moz, or stretch him.

But there was a possibility where you:

1. keep DLO
2. trade others (#2 pick or BI) for PG13
3. sign LBJ (after stretching/trading away Moz with the leftover #2 pick or BI).

How would you like a DLO/PG/LBJ trio? I would.

The Lakers were being asked for Ingram and the #2 pick at the very least in exchange for PG. So no Hart, Ingram, Brook, or Ball last season. So this team would be making a run at #8:

DLo/Clarkson/Ennis
KCP/Nwaba
PG13/Brewer
Nance/Kuz
Randle/Zubac

The tricky part is, the PG deal (July '17) was off the table by the time the world knew the Cavs were breaking up (August '17). The team above would not have enticed LeBron to come out West in 2018 if Kyrie were still his teammate until 2019, and our front office had to consider that.

Moreover, there was a chance (especially if DLo played the way he did in Brooklyn last year) that Paul George would go to Philadelphia had LeBron not gone looking for greener pastures in 2018 (which we didn't know he would at the time).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Eh. There's a world where at least LBJ/DLO/cap space is very real. But we didn't know how to develop DLO. I just find it strange that even today, folks are still seeking to delegitimize him. Strange.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

JeffreyRashad wrote:
Practice wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Practice wrote:
A week or two ago after one of the national weekend games they asked the old Lakers players on the show if the Lakers made a mistake trading Russell and there responsing where no because of the Nick Young thing and in a separate statement that the Lakers should've taken Okafor.

A week or two ago??!?!?

Yup.

Yeah lol, it was on the Channel 7 post-game show with Norm Nixon + Michael Cooper. The question was asked and they really held it down for the Showtime Mafia.

I was flabbergasted.

It was really dumb.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
The Lakers were being asked for Ingram and the #2 pick at the very least in exchange for PG..

That's not true. Either/or and the Lakers weren't interested.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
The Lakers were being asked for Ingram and the #2 pick at the very least in exchange for PG..

That's not true. Either/or and the Lakers weren't interested.

Woj reported this in August 2018 after I had moved on...
My understanding in July of '17 was, the Pacers wanted more than one of our young players/picks.

Oladipo (even after a bad year) and Sabonis was a competitive offer, in fact a better offer than either our #2 or Ingram alone. If this is really true...I have no words. The only reason to not trade for Paul George would have been if the Pacers were trying to take 2-3 assets from us. Trading Ingram or Ball for George would've improved our chances of landing LeBron, and PG's bird rights would've left us with some more cash on the side.

I'd heard we were shopping the #2 pick to the Kings for #5 & #10, but they turned us down before the draft.

Did Woj report this before August 2018, and is it possible he was lied to?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

According to Ramona the rumors of what we offered for PG weren’t close to being true, that we low balled Indy.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Holy (bleep). I'd wear out the profanity filter if I could right now.

Was really hoping this was something floated by Mintz and Indy as a way to try and embarrass our FO for the tampering accusations.

Are the goofballs running our team drunk or high?

And that Okafor quote up a few messages is a sign we may need to clean house. Everything but the banners and jerseys need to go.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Was really hoping this was something floated by Mintz and Indy as a way to try and embarrass our FO for the tampering accusations.

And that Okafor quote up a few messages is a sign we may need to clean house. Everything but the banners and jerseys need to go.

Welcome to my world. Setting aside the sabotage, I can see an argument for wanting to move on from Jimchack (based on them not being up to it). But moving on entailed full power resting in the hands of a sibling with even less basketbal acumen than Jim, who first wanted to hand the team over to Phil, and ultimately handed over to a person whose understanding of either the modern game or the requirements of running basketball operations were sorely lacking.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:

Nixon and Cooper don't work for the Lakers, though it's possible that Magic and Byron fed them that stuff.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject:

I hate how this front office came into their position.

However, I could never blame them for not trading the number 2 pick or Ingram for PG.

At that point it seemed like a done deal that he was going to sign with the Lakers the following off season. Why get rid of assets when you can simply sign the guy? Also, PG wasn’t as good as he is now.

Now I have no idea what changed. Maybe someone here knows more details. Did OKC/Russ really win him over? I actually respect PG for sticking with a small market team and trying to build his own thing. In a time where fans chastise players for teaming up, PG did the opposite and Laker fans got extra salty. Doesn’t make sense to me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject:

I can blame them, it was a horrible rookie move to think that they had George locked up. You gladly give up Ingram or Ball for George. The guy is in the MVP discussion and I doubt that we ever say that about Ingram or Ball. The FO screwed up big time after all the tampering charges/fines and then to whiff on PG. They are too egotistical to realize that they should be embarrassed.
akk7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I can blame them, it was a horrible rookie move to think that they had George locked up. You gladly give up Ingram or Ball for George. The guy is in the MVP discussion and I doubt that we ever say that about Ingram or Ball. The FO screwed up big time after all the tampering charges/fines and then to whiff on PG. They are too egotistical to realize that they should be embarrassed.

I think it’s hindsight. Ingram and Ball both at that time had a lot of value. For both guys, potential was seen to be sky high.

Still think their potential is high.

Majority of people wanted to stay pat.

But I know you despise this FO, so we’ll ageee to disagree on this one.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I can blame them, it was a horrible rookie move to think that they had George locked up. You gladly give up Ingram or Ball for George. The guy is in the MVP discussion and I doubt that we ever say that about Ingram or Ball.

Nailed it.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

16/3 so far in the 1st half on DLO's 23rd Bday
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

akk7 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think it’s hindsight. Ingram and Ball both at that time had a lot of value. For both guys, potential was seen to be sky high.

Still think their potential is high.

Majority of people wanted to stay pat.

But I know you despise this FO, so we’ll ageee to disagree on this one.

Paul George wasn't seen as an MVP candidate either back then. The fans and the media would adamantly place him no higher than top 15.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject:

26/6 after 3 quarters.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

LeBron suddenly turned aggressive the last couple of possessions.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Russ has completely taken over late in the 4th here going toe to toe with Kemba. 40 spot
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject:

FAM
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ELITE CLUTCH BASKETBALL PLAYER FOLKS
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject:

LeVert seals it with the defensive stop
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject:

40/7 and W.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@APOOCH

D'Angelo Russell finishes with 40 points and 7 assists on his birthday and Caris LeVert comes up with the game-winning stop on Kemba Walker.

Nets win perhaps the biggest game of the year over the Hornets, 117-115.

Happy Birthday, DLO.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Highlights:
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 60 of 100
Jump to: