Free Agents to bolster depth

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellCrowe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Free Agents to bolster depth

Can we talk about other free agents that fill other roles than “superstar.” I get it, LeBron can’t do it all himself but this superstar talk got me just waiting to see who we land and if we can. We’ve failed at putting our eggs in one basket and as we see it’s taken a negative effect on the team.

Yes we need a new coach and yes we need Maginka to provide players. We tried the “veteran grit” now we need to it the right (e.g. knock down shooters and defensive players that do their jobs to a T). Whether that is defending the paint and rebounding, hitting open shots, or just to lockdown their man in the time they get. Someone that takes pride in their craft and stay in their realm.

Beasley...
Lance...

Big mistakes because they are none of those. Idk what their roles are actually. Handle the ball? We have at least 4 others that already comes to mind. Veteran leadership? They don’t come off as guys that know how to lead.

We need guys with the attitude of our previous man, Randle. Whether or not they have his basketball skill set, players that do their job and get it done and don’t stop.

Let’s look down the list past the top 5 and figure out who would work.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Well the good news is that the Lakers only have SIX players under contract for next season..

So that leaves about 8 incoming Free Agents and hopefully they will NOT all be the:

Rejects, Cast-offs, Head Cases, Underachievers, Never-Do-Wells, 5-years-Past -Their-Prime, Often-Injured, Malcontents, etc.

That the Laker Brain-trust targeted this season...
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

I did some back of the envelope math and came up with following scenarios.

Assuming Irving leaves the Celtics, which results in Tatum no longer being available in an Anthony Davis trade, Lakers should reduce their offer from what was being reported this trade deadline.

1. Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, 2019 1st round pick (other picks if needed) for Anthony Davis. This will leave us with about $25m if we keep Bullock's bird rights and $30m without Bullock's bird rights. We should try to get Khris Middleton for $25m and resign Bullock.

2. Ingram, Kuzma, 2019 1st round pick (other picks if needed) for Anthony Davis and Solomon Hill. This will leave us with about $12m if we keep Bullock's bird rights and $17m without Bullock's bird rights.

In terms of role players, I'd like to target Marcus Morris, Ed Davis, Robin Lopez, Marquese Chriss, Trey Burke, Ish Smith, Wayne Ellington, Goran Dragic, Brook Lopez, Jeff Teague, Noah Vonleh, Nerlens Noel, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Terrance Ross, JJ Reddick, Danny Green, Jeremy Lin, Trevor Ariza, Jeff Green, Wesley Johnson
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I stumbled upon a nice article on Kyle O'Quinn, backup center on Indiana. He's a solid defender and rebounder who actually has good assist numbers too. He doesn't stretch the floor, but he does block shots. He even shoots FTs pretty well. He's a free agent who makes about $4.5m this year.

I actually think he'll have a few suitors this summer, but maybe he'll be just cheap enough to justify signing him as a backup or even spot-starting C.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/oquinky01.html
JoeKool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
I did some back of the envelope math and came up with following scenarios.

Assuming Irving leaves the Celtics, which results in Tatum no longer being available in an Anthony Davis trade, Lakers should reduce their offer from what was being reported this trade deadline.

1. Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, 2019 1st round pick (other picks if needed) for Anthony Davis. This will leave us with about $25m if we keep Bullock's bird rights and $30m without Bullock's bird rights. We should try to get Khris Middleton for $25m and resign Bullock.

2. Ingram, Kuzma, 2019 1st round pick (other picks if needed) for Anthony Davis and Solomon Hill. This will leave us with about $12m if we keep Bullock's bird rights and $17m without Bullock's bird rights.

In terms of role players, I'd like to target Marcus Morris, Ed Davis, Robin Lopez, Marquese Chriss, Trey Burke, Ish Smith, Wayne Ellington, Goran Dragic, Brook Lopez, Jeff Teague, Noah Vonleh, Nerlens Noel, Markieff Morris, Nikola Vucevic, Terrance Ross, JJ Reddick, Danny Green, Jeremy Lin, Trevor Ariza, Jeff Green, Wesley Johnson

ball + ingram + kuz + pick doesnt work for davis regarding salaries.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject:

I have reached the point where I want to run with Lonzo and Ingram at the very least, and would not mind simply going with all our youngsters and just swing for FA's, even if we can't get someone like Kawhi. I would be happy with Jimmy Butler. Then maybe sign Cousins.

C: Cousins, McGee
PF: Lebron, Kuzma
SF: Ingram, Butler, Bullock
SG: Butler, Hart, Bullock
PG: Lonzo, Caruso, Bonga

Those would be your main rotation guys, stick to the rotation. This team would win some games. Pray for no injuries. Keep our 1st round draft pick.
JoeKool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

Definitely do not want to overpay for Butler.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I have reached the point where I want to run with Lonzo and Ingram at the very least, and would not mind simply going with all our youngsters and just swing for FA's, even if we can't get someone like Kawhi. I would be happy with Jimmy Butler. Then maybe sign Cousins.

Those would be your main rotation guys, stick to the rotation. This team would win some games. Pray for no injuries. Keep our 1st round draft pick.

This works for me, that is until Zo gets injured again, this next season may be his last for the Lakers, he makes $8mil next year, but then there is a Team option for $11mil the season after next (and $14mil after that) and if the Lakers don't see any improvement or he is injured as usual, I hope they are smart enough to dump him...

At this point, I'd be happy with any players that are into working hard, hustling and that can hit their shots, you know, pretty much the opposite of what we have now!

Look at the Clippers, the Nets, the Hawks, The Magic, hell even the Knicks have players that OUTPLAY our players... sad, hopefully it is just a Coaching-motivation thing...
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Wino wrote:

This works for me, that is until Zo gets injured again, this next season may be his last for the Lakers, he makes $8mil next year, but then there is a Team option for $11mil the season after next (and $14mil after that) and if the Lakers don't see any improvement or he is injured as usual, I hope they are smart enough to dump him...

At this point, I'd be happy with any players that are into working hard, hustling and that can hit their shots, you know, pretty much the opposite of what we have now!

Look at the Clippers, the Nets, the Hawks, The Magic, hell even the Knicks have players that OUTPLAY our players... sad, hopefully it is just a Coaching-motivation thing...

I agree with you about Lonzo and I am really hoping that he addresses his weaknesses this off season. Seems like he has weak legs/ankles, needs to concentrate on strengthening those areas to decrease his chance of injury. Needs to work on his FT's and 3 point shot. I am also really hoping that Bonga shows some significant improvement. Significant development by him would really elevate our guard rotations. We need a solid backup for Lonzo, and would love a really physical guy who could actually push Lonzo a little. Some competition there would really help everyone. Caruso is just a solid role player, who can play both sides of the ball and bring something positive. Not starter material but good for some rotating minutes. Bonga is actually very key here, if he doesn't show some significant improvement, we may have to look for someone else to sign to bolster the position and that would send one of these guys to the G-league.

I think the players above are all pretty darned good, we under performed BIG TIME, this past year. Assuming that BI's health problems do not continue, I think the above team should be very good with the right coach.

If we do end out trading for Davis, I hope we keep BI, a package consisting of Lonzo, Kuzma and a couple of drafts picks better be enough. Can't see gutting the team more than that, unless we ended out with a top 2 pick again, then perhaps that would change things. I doubt that happens, so not gonna consider it yet. Still the idea of losing Lonzo is also going to really hurt us. Truth is, he and Lebron are pretty darned good together, he is the defensive key for this team. The idea of losing him AND losing our #1 draft pick would leave us without a solid PG and that has not looked very good for us this year after Lonzo went down. We have really sucked without him. If we lose him, we have to have a way to replace him with someone respectable and Rondo ain't that. Sorry Rondo, but you are not close to Lonzo's level.
autoprice
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Well the good news is that the Lakers only have SIX players under contract for next season..
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject:

does the lakers have interest in J.R. ?
https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/07/15/report-cavs-expected-to-waive-j-r-smith-today/?
JoeKool
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

PinoyLBJFan wrote:
https://cavaliersnation.com/2019/07/15/report-cavs-expected-to-waive-j-r-smith-today/?

hopefully not
Sooke
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Hi everyone. First time writer here.

I would like to bring to your attention 4 free agents, who can be a great addition to our team.

PF Montrezl Harrell ( 26 ) Clippers - $ 6.0 mil in 2019-2020 season
18.6 ppg - 7.1 rpg - 1.7 apg

SF Brandon Ingram ( 23 ) New Orleans - $ 5.955 mil.
23.8 ppg - 6.1 rpg - 4.2 apg

PG DeAaron Fox ( 22 ) Sacramento - $ 2.3 mil.
21.1 ppg - 3.8 rpg - 6.8 apg

PF Christian Wood ( 25 ) Detroit - $ 1.578
13.1 ppg - 6.3 rpg - 1.0 apg
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject:

PinoyLBJFan wrote:

Might be a good pick for the playoffs, just to fill up the bench...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Sooke wrote:

I would like to bring to your attention 4 free agents, who can be a great addition to our team.

WELCOME, the problem isn't with the money these guys earned LAST season, it's the fact that there are lots of teams that CAN & WILL pay these guys FOUR times more that what the Lakers can offer...!
Sooke
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Top 5 choices for Lakers

1. Marcus Morris (NYK) 48 3P% Leeds NBA - UFA

2. Danilo Gallinary (OKC) - 47.5 3P% - UFA

3. Daniel House (Rockets) - 47.2 3P% $ 3.7 m. in 2020/21 - $ 4.2 in 2021/22

4. Bojan Bogdanovic (Jazz) - 45.5 3P% $ 17.8 in 2020/21. UFA in 2023

5. Goran Dragic (Heats) - 45.3 3P% UFA
Sooke
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Sooke wrote:

WELCOME, the problem isn't with the money these guys earned LAST season, it's the fact that there are lots of teams that CAN & WILL pay these guys FOUR times more that what the Lakers can offer...!

You are probably right. LeBron and A.Davis will eat 2/3 of our salary, so we basically have to go again for 1 year deals with the veterans minimum.
In any case, if we somehow manage to bring in 3-rd scoring option (Br.Beal for example) we will have to pay huge amount of penalties over the salary cap.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject:

i like jordan clarkson back in lakers.
Lakerlover89
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject:

Harkless, KCP, Augustin (if we can't keep Rondo), Kieff.
Sooke
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Our free agents...

Lakerlover89 wrote:
Harkless, KCP, Augustin (if we can't keep Rondo), Kieff.

Rondo and KCP will stay with the Lakers for sure. There ate indications that Dw.Howard is not interested from Golden State offer and will remain as well.
If we can bring in Markieff's brother, Marcus Morris they can both stay with the veteran's minimum. But it is really important to find a PG, who can play with the first team. That will unload a lots of duties from LeBron's shoulders.
Sooke
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Lakers off season...

With just 6 players under contract, the Lakers have plenty of room for free agents. Three of them ( Green, Kuzma and Tucker) most likely will be traded in a package with our pic # 28 for a third option player. Also, we have By Annual Exception of $ 3.6 mil. and mid-level exception of $ 9.3 mil. In the next few days will be determined if NBA can terminate Luol Deng's remaining $ 5 mil salary so we can use that money for solid veteran addition.
Personally, I trust Rob Pelinka and I believe he will build again solid and competitive team for another run.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: