Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has died

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has died

That's very sad

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11251299/pat-bowlen-gives-control-denver-broncos-battles-alzheimer-disease

Quote:
Broncos' Pat Bowlen steps down

Bowlen Steps Down As Broncos Owner

Broncos' Bowlen Battling Alzheimer's Disease
Longtime Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has given up control of the team as he battles Alzheimer's disease.

Team president Joe Ellis will assume control of the Broncos.

Craig F. Walker/The Denver Post/Getty Images
Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has given up control of the team as he battles Alzheimer's disease.
"In recent years, Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has taken a reduced role with his team while courageously and privately battling Alzheimer's disease," the team said in a statement.

"The Broncos are very saddened that Mr. Bowlen is no longer able to be part of the team's daily operations due to his condition. We continue to offer our full support, compassion and respect to 'Mr. B,' who has faced Alzheimer's disease with such dignity and strength."

The Denver Post first reported Bowlen, 70, would step aside.

Ellis worked as the Broncos' marketing director from 1983 to 1985, then rejoined the team in 1998 as its executive vice president of business operations. In 2008, Ellis was named the team's chief operating officer, and in 2011 he was named team president.

"It's a really, really sad day," Ellis said in a statement to The Denver Post. "It's sad for his family, his wife and his seven children. It's sad for everyone in the organization. And it's sad for all the Bronco fans who know what Pat Bowlen meant to them as an owner. It's a day nobody wanted to see happen."

Bowlen purchased the Broncos in 1984 from Edgar Kaiser. In Bowlen's 30 years as owner, the Broncos reached six Super Bowls, winning back-to-back titles in 1997 and 1998.

A Denver Icon
Since Pat Bowlen took over as the Broncos' owner in 1984, the team has the second-best winning percentage in the NFL, behind only the 49ers.

Team Win pct. SB Wins
49ers .618 4
Broncos .604 2
Patriots .593 3
Steelers .586 2
-- ESPN Stats & Information
A Look at Pat Bowlen
• Owner of Broncos since March 1984
• 6 Super Bowl appearances (2 championships)
• .604 win pct since 1984 (2nd to 49ers)
• Broncos have sold out every game during his tenure
• Member of Colorado Sports Hall of Fame
"This is a sad day for the NFL," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement to The Denver Post. "Pat Bowlen's leadership has been critical to the success of the Broncos and the entire NFL. From building a championship team that is a pillar of the community to his important work for the league on television and labor matters, Pat's love of the game drove him and we have all benefited from his passion and wisdom. But the time has come for Pat to focus on his health and we fully support him. Joe Ellis has been a trusted executive for Pat for many years after working with us at the league office. Joe's deep experience ensures that the Broncos will continue to have strong leadership."

Bowlen told The Denver Post in May 2009 that he was dealing with short-term memory loss, but on Tuesday the team and Bowlen's family acknowledged for the first time that his condition had developed into Alzheimer's.

"Going forward, Pat Bowlen's indelible contributions to the Broncos, the NFL and this community will continue to define his three decades of ownership and serve as the standard he has set for his franchise," the NFL said in a statement to The Denver Post.

"With more than 300 victories, including six AFC championships and back-to-back Super Bowls, Mr. Bowlen has established the culture of winning that is responsible for the Broncos' sustained success. His work on various league committees has helped the NFL achieve unprecedented prosperity, and his philanthropic generosity has had a positive impact on so many throughout the Rocky Mountain Region."

Bowlen's wife, Annabel, thanked Broncos fans for their support.

"I am extremely proud of Pat's incredible accomplishments as owner of the Broncos, most notably the winning tradition he has established and the positive impact he has made in our community," Annabel Bowlen said in a statement. "Pat would be the first to say that none of the Broncos' success would be possible without the players, coaches, employees and fans whom he's shared such a strong connection with over the years.

"On behalf of Pat and the rest of my family, I want to thank all Broncos fans for their overwhelming support and how respectful they continue to be of his privacy. We look forward to sharing many more successful seasons of Denver Broncos football with you."

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject:

It is very sad. My grandfather has Alzheimer's, for him it's very confusing and tough to accept, and it's also tremendously difficult at times for us as a family to try to deal with.

One of the saddest things in life is when you watch someone you care about start to lose parts of who they are, and watching them struggle with it.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/wife-of-broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-diagnosed-with-alzheimers/ar-AAzeFVe?li=BBnba9I

Quote:
Wife Of Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen Diagnosed With Alzheimer's

The wife of Denver Broncos majority owner Pat Bowlen announced Wednesday that she was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Annabel Bowlen made the announcement in a statement released by the Broncos.

Denver Broncos

@Broncos
Annabel Bowlen, wife of #Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen, has announced that she too has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.

Mrs. B, you have all of #BroncosCountry behind you.

📰 » http://j.mp/2Kbnn9Q

8:35 AM - Jun 27, 2018
296 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
"I decided to make my diagnosis public right away in the hope that it continues to raise awareness for those battling Alzheimer's and their loved ones," her statement said. "I feel that it is important for people to know that those in my situation do not need to completely withdraw from their daily activities. Based on my own experience with Pat, there will still be many joyous and rewarding moments for me as well as my family and friends.

Pat Bowlen gave up control of the team to Broncos president Joe Ellis after announcing that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014. The team was placed in a trust after Bowlen's announcement.

The Bowlen family bought the Broncos in 1984 and the franchise has won three Super Bowls since that time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/14/broncos-owner-pat-bowlen-dies-at-age-75/#comments

Quote:
Broncos owner Pat Bowlen dies at age 75
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 14, 2019, 2:42 AM EDT

Getty Images
Pat Bowlen, the principal owner of the Denver Broncos since 1984, passed away Thursday night at age 75 after an extended battle with Alzheimer’s disease.

The Broncos released a statement from the Bowlen family just after midnight in Denver announced his passing.

“We are saddened to inform everyone that our beloved husband and father, Pat Bowlen, passed on to the next chapter of his life late Thursday night peacefully at home surrounded by family. His soul will live on through the Broncos, the city of Denver and all of our fans.

“Our family wishes to express its sincere gratitude for the outpouring of support we have received in recent years. Heaven got a little bit more orange and blue tonight.

“Pat Bowlen had a competitive spirit with a great sense of humor. As fun-loving as he was, he always wanted us to understand the big picture. We will forever remember his kindness and humility.

“More important than being an incredible owner, Pat Bowlen was an incredible human being.”

Bowlen’s illness was first announced by the team in July 2014. He stepped down from the day-to-day operations of the team and placed eventual stewardship into the hands of a three-person group of trustees. While family infighting over the controlling interest of the franchise has become the subject of a legal battle, Bowlen’s wife, Annabel, and his seven children, Amie, Beth, Patrick, Johnny, Brittany, Annabel and Christianna, were all named in the statement released by the team early Friday morning.

With Bowlen as owner, the Broncos have won three Super Bowls, appeared in four more, won the AFC West 13 times and made 18 total playoff appearances. Bowlen is set to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in August after being elected in the contributor category in January.

Bowlen is the fifth majority owner of an NFL team to pass away in the last 15 months. Others who have died were Tom Benson (Saints, March 2018), Alex Spanos (Chargers, October 2018), Paul Allen (Seahawks, October 2018) and Bob McNair (Texans, November 2018).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Don't know it to have any bearing. I have family members who suffered from the ailment. All three were female all on the same family side, mothers. My mother and both aunts. Grandmother and her two daughters. Causes me to wonder if it's hereditary? No one on my fathers side affected.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: