Just hours after El-Paso Mass Shooting in Dayton Ohio Masked Gunam with body armor kills 10+/Gunman dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
But how exactly does a President from say Illinois encompass the values and agendas set forth by Californians?

The presidency is a national office. The president often does not encompass the values and agendas of a particular state.

No state encompasses the "values and agendas" of all it's residents. Republicans living in California are no less representative of California than Democrats.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
But how exactly does a President from say Illinois encompass the values and agendas set forth by Californians?

The presidency is a national office. The president often does not encompass the values and agendas of a particular state.

No state encompasses the "values and agendas" of all it's residents. Republicans living in California are no less representative of California than Democrats.

If you look at it that way, what's your point? Trump represents the values and agendas of Californians, so we don't have a problem.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
The idea was that the big, populous states should not be able to jam their values and their agenda down the throats of the less populous states. That principle still applies today.

I've been pondering. Large populous states have more than one vote. Why not gather a consensus and give it priority. Once the majority is determined cast 1 vote for all. Of course this is off the top of my head. It's a thought that needs much to perfect.

Regarding the electoral college, there is a movement out there to neuter the electoral college system. Fifteen states, so far, have joined a pact to "promice" to pool all electoral votes together, with the popular vote winner taking all the electoral votes of the pact. So far, these states have a combined 195 electoral votes. The pact would take effect once enough states have joined to guarantee the national winner 270 electoral votes, ensuring election. I see some problems with this, but it is quite a clever tactic.

If I had my druthers I'd durther we go back to the popular vote and make vote by mail mandatory.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

If you look at it that way, what's your point? Trump represents the values and agendas of Californians, so we don't have a problem.

The idea that Californians, through their Presidential vote, are trying to shove their values and agenda down the throats of rural America is laughable. We still have states rights. The point is that there are many value systems throughout the country, even within the same communities. So a popular vote is the true voice of the people since the most amount of people, with different values, are voting for a candidate.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
The idea was that the big, populous states should not be able to jam their values and their agenda down the throats of the less populous states. That principle still applies today.

I've been pondering. Large populous states have more than one vote. Why not gather a consensus and give it priority. Once the majority is determined cast 1 vote for all. Of course this is off the top of my head. It's a thought that needs much to perfect.

Regarding the electoral college, there is a movement out there to neuter the electoral college system. Fifteen states, so far, have joined a pact to "promice" to pool all electoral votes together, with the popular vote winner taking all the electoral votes of the pact. So far, these states have a combined 195 electoral votes. The pact would take effect once enough states have joined to guarantee the national winner 270 electoral votes, ensuring election. I see some problems with this, but it is quite a clever tactic.

If I had my druthers I'd [druther] we go back to the popular vote and make vote by mail mandatory.

Both good ideas but the small states will never go for the constitutional amendment that would be required for the former. How we vote, where, by which method, is a state issue.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

The idea that Californians, through their Presidential vote, are trying to shove their values and agenda down the throats of rural America is laughable. We still have states rights. The point is that there are many value systems throughout the country, even within the same communities. So a popular vote is the true voice of the people since the most amount of people, with different values, are voting for a candidate.

No one is arguing that. Personally, I would favor direct popular election of the president. Ironically, back in the ‘80s when I was in the GOP, it was the Republicans who worried about the electoral college. That changed in 2000.

But the presidency is only one component of the system. The Senate is the primary mechanism for preserving the influence of smaller states. The Senate also affects the composition of the electoral college. If every state did not get two electoral votes automatically for its senators, Gore would have won in 2000, but Trump would still have won in 2016.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If I had my druthers I'd durther we go back to the popular vote and make vote by mail mandatory.

Well, we can’t go back to the popular vote because we never had a direct popular vote. In fact, we didn’t have direct election of senators until 1913.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Well, we can’t go back to the popular vote because we never had a direct popular vote. In fact, we didn’t have direct election of senators until 1913.

Quote:
People also ask

When did the popular vote start?
The 1824 presidential election was the first election in American history in which the popular vote mattered, as 18 states chose presidential electors by popular vote in 1824 (six states still left the choice up to their state legislatures).

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

That is not a direct popular vote. That is what we have today.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

Booming business for concealed handguns in El Paso:

Quote:
The vast majority of people at the classes were Hispanic; El Paso is a predominantly Latino city. Police say the accused gunman deliberately attacked Hispanics in the Walmart.

Michael McIntyre, general manager of Gun Central, one of the largest gun shops in El Paso and the host of the class, on Friday said his store tallied double the usual number of sales in the week following the attack, something that did not happen after previous mass shootings in Texas.

Most of the sales were for handguns, which can be strapped to an ankle or shoulder under clothing.

“I have over 50 for this Saturday class and approximately the same amount for the Sunday class, and I normally have approximately seven,” McIntyre said.

“We actually had two people buy guns here who were actually in the Walmart on the day of the shooting. The other people are just saying, ‘Hey, you know I want to be able to protect myself in the event of something going on.’,” he said.

Reuters
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

We vote by mail in Colorado and in 2018 we had somewhere around 80% of active voters return a ballot. It works really well.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

No one is arguing that. Personally, I would favor direct popular election of the president. Ironically, back in the ‘80s when I was in the GOP, it was the Republicans who worried about the electoral college. That changed in 2000.

But the presidency is only one component of the system. The Senate is the primary mechanism for preserving the influence of smaller states. The Senate also affects the composition of the electoral college. If every state did not get two electoral votes automatically for its senators, Gore would have won in 2000, but Trump would still have won in 2016.

Sorry, were you not referring to CA (or New York) when you wrote this?

Quote:
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
The vast majority of people at the classes were Hispanic; El Paso is a predominantly Latino city. Police say the accused gunman deliberately attacked Hispanics in the Walmart.

Michael McIntyre, general manager of Gun Central, one of the largest gun shops in El Paso and the host of the class, on Friday said his store tallied double the usual number of sales in the week following the attack, something that did not happen after previous mass shootings in Texas.

Most of the sales were for handguns, which can be strapped to an ankle or shoulder under clothing.

“I have over 50 for this Saturday class and approximately the same amount for the Sunday class, and I normally have approximately seven,” McIntyre said.

“We actually had two people buy guns here who were actually in the Walmart on the day of the shooting. The other people are just saying, ‘Hey, you know I want to be able to protect myself in the event of something going on.’,” he said.

Reuters

Awesome of them to go to classes.
Trump foresees a Homeland for the Mexican people's like Israel sees for the Palestinians
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Sorry, were you not referring to CA (or New York) when you wrote this?

Quote:
The framers did envision significant population disparities, because they existed in 1789. The population disparities are greater today, but that is a quantitative difference, not a qualitative difference. Rhode Island had two senators in 1790. So did New York. The idea was that the big, populous states should not be able to jam their values and their agenda down the throats of the less populous states. That principle still applies today.

I added the boldfaced part of the quote. You chose to omit it. I assume that you understand that the Senate and the Presidency are not the same thing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

Now why didn't I think of this?

Quote:
The bulletproof panels are designed to withstand multiple rounds from a handgun — and two of this season’s bestsellers are emblazoned with Disney princesses and Avengers superheroes.

“Here’s our demographic: parents with kids,” said Steve Naremore, founder of TuffyPacks, a Houston based company that sells bulletproof backpack inserts. “It’s a real morbid niche.”

Quote:
Within hours, Leatherback Gear, which sells backpacks that convert into bulletproof vests, saw a 12-fold increase in sales. “It was all hands on deck all weekend,” said Brad de Geus, who founded the company with his brother three years ago. “Everybody’s fielding calls and emails.”

The company’s backpacks — named simply “civilian one” and “tactical one” — were designed by active-duty law enforcement officers and sell for $330 to $400. Demand has been so high, de Geus said, that the Costa Mesa, Calif., company is in the process of releasing two new styles, including a sporty model for $280 and a smaller-sized children’s bag for $100.

Bulletproof Backpacks
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:

Reuters

Awesome of them to go to classes.
Trump foresees a Homeland for the Mexican people's like Israel sees for the Palestinians

the problem was never qualified citizens/individuals buying hand guns. Not good enough back ground check is one, military strengh weapons are the other
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12
Jump to: