Jerry West says ‘a lot of players’ have Kobe Bryant’s mentality, but not ‘the skill’
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I've often wondered what type of player Lamar Odom would've been had he had Kobe's mentality cause he sure had an over-abundance of skillz. Could play all 5 positions effortlessly: handles & passing of a PG, shooting range of a SG, low post moves of a SF, rebounding of a PF and height of a C. Only reason he wasn't one of the greatest of all time were 0 work ethic, 0 hustle and 0 basketball IQ.

What a waste.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
I've often wondered what type of player Lamar Odom would've been had he had Kobe's mentality cause he sure had an over-abundance of skillz. Could play all 5 positions effortlessly: handles & passing of a PG, shooting range of a SG, low post moves of a SF, rebounding of a PF and height of a C. Only reason he wasn't one of the greatest of all time were 0 work ethic, 0 hustle and 0 basketball IQ.

What a waste.

Dunno about one of the greatest of all time, but I feel if Lamar had Kobe's work ethic, he'd have made multiple All-NBA teams.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
acer77 wrote:

What a waste.

Dunno about one of the greatest of all time, but I feel if Lamar had Kobe's work ethic, he'd have made multiple All-NBA teams.
He would be damn near KG.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
acer77 wrote:

What a waste.

He would be damn near KG.

Yeah, I see him easily around that KG level for sure.. In his prime when he was actually putting in the work and effort he was an absolute beast on both ends but even then he'd look like a superstar for a game here or there then look like a mediocre roll player for a few games.. He would have been all nba and an all star most years imo. I think he always had a lot of pain though mentally which only made it worse.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

Patrick Beverly is an example of what West is saying - he might even be who West was thinking about when he said it, I don't know the context of the comment. Beverly has scratched and clawed his way into the league and I've got mad respect for him but he could work out 24 hours a day and never be a top 10 player he just doesn't have the ability to do that.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Kobe once say he'd be the best ever if he had Lamar's body

acer77 wrote:

What a waste.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Didn't Kobe once say he'd be the best ever if he had Lamar's body

acer77 wrote:

What a waste.

yes, this is true. kobe said that. and lamar has just about the ideal basketball body, probably can count on one hand in history someone with a better physique for basketball. tall, almost 7'. VERY mobile, moves like a slashing guard, with extremely nice smooth handles. HUGE hands, like webber. plus, hes a lefty, so bonus points for that too.

if you put kobe in that body, yea you would see the devastation. that would be unreal. i mean, it would just about be like wilt chamberlein who shoots threes like curry and plays midrange like MJ. in a 7' frame. hopefully, that day is coming....and that would be incredible!!!
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject:

Most players do not have Kobe's _training_ mentality.
If you don't train for 10 hours a day, every day, you don't got it.
If you're not working out at 5AM (late start), you don't got it.
If you're not constantly examining other players and their tendencies, you don't got it.

Most people might have a killer mentality in game, but people don't have the skill because they didn't have the training and studying mentality.

Simple as that.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

I really think a lot of players today work close to as hard as Kobe. They looked up to him; and everyone has their eye on the spotlight and stardom today..and the big contracts. These kids want “it”. And there’s so many training avenues and recourses, that it’s tough not to work relatively hard. Gone are the days where offseasons are spent somewhat relaxing and letting the body rest —- everyone is grinding. It’s the standard Kobe set. They’re probably not working out at 5AM. But all the young Laker core was reportedly doing 3-a-days when you include weights.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: