🎾U S OPEN TENNIS🎾
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: 🎾U S OPEN TENNIS🎾

Anybody watching. I just tuned in. Haven't watched any matches. Hearing Serena is having back problems.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Didn't even know it was happening but I will check it out.

The 2 I seem to always watch are Wimbledon and the French Open (specifically Nadal).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

I saw that we get S. Williams vs. Sharapova in the first round. It wasn't so long ago that this would have been a legitimate marquee matchup. Now Sharapova has a fork stuck in her back, and the question is whether Williams' trainers can apply enough duct tape and WD-40 to let her make one more run in a major.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

They're still in the qualifying rounds this week.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I saw that we get S. Williams vs. Sharapova in the first round. It wasn't so long ago that this would have been a legitimate marquee matchup. Now Sharapova has a fork stuck in her back, and the question is whether Williams' trainers can apply enough duct tape and WD-40 to let her make one more run in a major.

Classic volt it

If you're ranked in the top 10 do you have to qualify for the Open?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

If you're ranked in the top 10 do you have to qualify for the Open?

No. U.S. Open seedings are based on ATP and WTA rankings as of a certain cutoff date this month. Serena is currently ranked 8th in the WTA which matches her seeding in the U.S. Open.

Sharapova is currently ranked 87th and was granted a wild card entry.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Serena is never going to overlook Sharapova--she despises her so there's no chance that she will take it easy--but so much for just easing her way into the tournament, at least from an intensity standpoint.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Serena is never going to overlook Sharapova--she despises her so there's no chance that she will take it easy--but so much for just easing her way into the tournament, at least from an intensity standpoint.

Maria has been having health problems as has Serena. I hope both are healthy when they meet. Not that it will be marquee as in the past but it will be entertaining.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

Should be a really interesting US Open men and women both. Young players and old with things to prove so stories aplenty. I could see Djokovic, Federer or Nadal winning. Federer looked great at Wimbledon, and Nadal just won a big hardcourt tournament and then got rested up by skipping the big one last week. I think he just played that tournament since wimbledon so lots of time to feel fresh. I could also see one young guy finally busting through one or more of those guys.
I hope Serena does it because if she doesn't, seems almost impossible that she will win a Slam while these other younger ones get stronger next year and after that. Americans look strong besides her too, especially Keys. Like to see Osaka get back on form.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Serena vs Sharapova match scheduled for 7:00pm EST on Monday. It's the first of the two night matches.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject:

It starts today 9:00am PT.
Today
First round·Arthur Ashe Stadium 10:15 AM *
N. Djokovic

R. Carballés Baena

If you have DTV channel 701 has the mix and all today's matches.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Sharapova has been light work for Serena
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Didn't realize she's only taken 1 set from Serena in 10 years.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Serena had a easy time with Maria. It wasn't Serena played good as it was Maria played bad.

Now lets see how much Federer has left in the tank.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

That suspension basically killed her career. I don't think she will win another major tournament again.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject:

it is kind of interesting when you look at Serena and Maria....on the surface, people would likely assume they would have nearly nothing in common, but in some ways they grew up with a lot of similarities. I think Serena was 8 or 9 when they moved to FL and began to train under Macci.....then Maria is younger but came over at a similar age to train under Macci. Both eventually left Macci....the Williams sisters to train with their dad, and Maria to train at IMG....but both grew up in southern Florida under the spotlight of being young tennis prodigies, and neither were from your stereotypical privileged backgrounds as most within their circles (high level youth tennis).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

That suspension basically killed her career. I don't think she will win another major tournament again.

I kind of wonder why she is still playing....her legacy is solid as one of the best to ever do it (Top 10-15ish?) and she has made more than enough money.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I kind of wonder why she is still playing....her legacy is solid as one of the best to ever do it (Top 10-15ish?) and she has made more than enough money.

Probably the next career isn't as lucrative as playing tennis?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I get that, but there is a generation of new fans that are watching this version of Maria and it creates an impression no matter how much you tell them how great she was at one time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

She makes a lot more money outside of tennis. This was true even when she was at her peak as a tennis player.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

She makes a lot more money outside of tennis. This was true even when she was at her peak as a tennis player.

But those endorsements are often linked to her as a high profile tennis player. Will those same companies still hang onto her in her post-tennis career or move onto someone else?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Sharapova was always one of the best fighters and competitors in the sport. She loves to play, and I would suspect that this is why she's still doing it, still trying to find her form after the suspension and then another shoulder injury. But if her results don't get better, you have to wonder how long she'll try to keep doing this.

Not surprised Serena beat her badly. She just loves to play and beat her. Stylistically, it's always been a good matchup for Serena, because, essentially, all of Maria's strengths are things that Serena does better than Maria.

Federer was all over the place in the first set, but recovered fairly well after that. Still, he doesn't look to be in great form, and I know he struggled all summer.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Sharapova was always one of the best fighters and competitors in the sport. She loves to play, and I would suspect that this is why she's still doing it, still trying to find her form after the suspension and then another shoulder injury. But if her results don't get better, you have to wonder how long she'll try to keep doing this.

Not surprised Serena beat her badly. She just loves to play and beat her. Stylistically, it's always been a good matchup for Serena, because, essentially, all of Maria's strengths are things that Serena does better than Maria.

Federer was all over the place in the first set, but recovered fairly well after that. Still, he doesn't look to be in great form, and I know he struggled all summer.

All summer? There was this tournament in midJuly where his form was pretty spectacular.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Coco Gauf won her first round match over Anastasia Potapova 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. It seemed like she had the jitters in the first set. She showed grit by rebounding in the 2nd and 3rd sets. I don't believe she'll bring home the the trophy but you have to give her a E for effort.

It must be disheartening for a player to hear fans cheer when their opponent wins a point and say nothing when they do.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

All summer? There was this tournament in midJuly where his form was pretty spectacular.

I was referring to the hard court season after Wimbledon. Guess I could have been more clear.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: