Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LuciusAllen wrote:
Injuries really derailed him. Coming out of Stanford, I thought he had a chance to join the Mount Olympus of QBs. It just didn't happen.

Very shocking, but he's a bright guy, he's made tons of money, and he'll do well whatever comes next.

He has to give back $12MM of his signing bonus money, AND he's giving up approximately $58MM in future earnings. He must truly feel battered from football, or a combo of that and he just doesn't love it enough. Hey, you gotta do you. If he doesn't want to play, more power to him.

Colts fans booed him as he walked off the field in street clothes. Stay classy, Indianapolis.

They should boo their ownership for the terrible OLs they put around a franchise QB who was battered to pieces over his now short career.

It's a shame that their new GM did a great job to spend valuable capital on getting a better O-line, and has been a great roster-builder in general, and had built the team into a likely contender for years to come. Too little, too late, I suppose, for Luck's health.

Definitely, the new GM there seems to have had a strong run so far, but windows (players and teams) are so short in the NFL.

Indeed. Now they have a strong roster but, almost certainly, a QB not good enough to take them to the promised land. QB's like Winston and Mariota are in the final year of their rookie deals and could conceivably not be offered deals by their current teams, but if they play well, then you'd think those teams would keep them. So if they play poorly, that wouldn't exactly be a cure-all for Indy. Maybe someone like Stafford could become available if the Lions falter again (there were rumblings of that last year). I think they have the right GM in place, but he has his work cut out for him.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/24/rumors-fly-that-colts-knew-about-andrew-lucks-potential-retirement-in-march/

Quote:
Rumors fly that Colts knew about Andrew Luck’s potential retirement in March
Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2019, 11:08 PM EDT

Getty Images
As the NFL digests the bitter pill of a franchise quarterback in his prime walking away from the game, chatter has commenced regarding why Andrew Luck is quitting the NFL — and for how long the Colts knew that it could happen.

Per a league source, there’s already scuttlebutt in league circles that the Colts have been aware of Luck’s potential retirement since March, and that they’ve been trying to talk him out of it while also preparing to move forward with Jacoby Brissett as the starting quarterback.

It’s unclear whether the calf strain that became a high-ankle issue was a real injury or a ruse; it’s possible that Luck went through the motions pending a final decision and that the injury helped him decide that it was time to walk away.

Regardless, while the Luck retirement is news to the rest of us (including the team’s paying customers), it’s apparently not news to the Colts.

UPDATE 11:48 p.m. ET: The Colts contend they knew nothing about Luck’s potential retirement until this week.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

People booing here are garbage humans: https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1165447358416609281
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
He was definitely headed for Canton.

I would say probably not, but the football HoF is hard to predict. To be a lock, he would have needed either to start winning stuff or to hang on long enough to rack up some big career totals. Given how brittle he was, it was going to be tough for him to do that even if he didn’t retire. His HoF target would be someone like Warren Moon, who got in on a whim of the voters. Ken Stabler finally slipped in. Ken Anderson, Phil Simms, and Boomer Esiason still haven’t. I’d say that Luck would have wound up on the waiting list.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Well he retired two weeks before the season began if he retired in the offseason it would've been different.

I mean if he doesn't want to play anymore fine its his life but I can see the resentment with the timing of it all. Plus this is the dude that the Colts let Manning go for and we got nothing to show for it except watching Manning succeed with another team, go to two SB's win another and retire as a Bronco.

Its not rational but I get it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
He is retiring to “travel the world”.

Very millennial. Lol.

Hardly.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject:

People booing here are garbage humans: https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1165447358416609281

They are booing because of the timing. It leaves the Colts in a very bad spot. Now if he had retired before the NFL draft, I doubt the bad feelings would be anywhere like this. If he didn't feel like he was going to be ready to play or continue his NFL career, why go along with the charade. On that reasoning I understand why he chose to retire, its the timing that is terrible.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Well he retired two weeks before the season began if he retired in the offseason it would've been different.

I mean if he doesn't want to play anymore fine its his life but I can see the resentment with the timing of it all. Plus this is the dude that the Colts let Manning go for and we got nothing to show for it except watching Manning succeed with another team, go to two SB's win another and retire as a Bronco.

Its good for Jacoby Brissett, but I think if you are looking from an organizational standpoint, if he had chosen to retire much earlier, the Colts would probably have been able to draft a QB to replace him or even pick up a free agent QB on the market before camp. Now all the quality QB's are gone and they pretty much have to go with their backup and hope he performs somewhere close to Luck. Don't forget you can't just throw a QB in there at the last minute, they usually study the plays and schemes during training camp.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
He was definitely headed for Canton.

I would say probably not, but the football HoF is hard to predict. To be a lock, he would have needed either to start winning stuff or to hang on long enough to rack up some big career totals. Given how brittle he was, it was going to be tough for him to do that even if he didn’t retire. His HoF target would be someone like Warren Moon, who got in on a whim of the voters. Ken Stabler finally slipped in. Ken Anderson, Phil Simms, and Boomer Esiason still haven’t. I’d say that Luck would have wound up on the waiting list.

Perhaps "definitely" was strong (he would've had to play longer, clearly), but the TD passes, yards, and record (53-33) had him on his way. I think he was on the path, but the problem was that I thought he was over the injury bug and would just thrive for many years under Reich. HOF voters often go to things beyond just stats, and even though other QB's may have put up a better QB rating or had fewer INT's, I don't know, Luck always just seemed to have that "it" factor. He went 11-5 in each of his first 3 seasons in the league, and those were bad teams that he put on his back; so many of those wins were 4th quarter comebacks with points on their final drive. It's such a shame that, now that they were finally able to surround him with a strong roster, he isn't able to feel the fruits of that work. And I don't blame him, to be clear. The game clearly beat him up.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Its good for Jacoby Brissett, but I think if you are looking from an organizational standpoint, if he had chosen to retire much earlier, the Colts would probably have been able to draft a QB to replace him or even pick up a free agent QB on the market before camp. Now all the quality QB's are gone and they pretty much have to go with their backup and hope he performs somewhere close to Luck. Don't forget you can't just throw a QB in there at the last minute, they usually study the plays and schemes during training camp.

Yep now its a lost season(I guess it probably would've been even if he retired earlier) that being said I trust Reich to handle this situation since he's been in this spot as opposed to Pagano where that season was a total disaster.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

They are booing because of the timing. It leaves the Colts in a very bad spot. Now if he had retired before the NFL draft, I doubt the bad feelings would be anywhere like this. If he didn't feel like he was going to be ready to play or continue his NFL career, why go along with the charade. On that reasoning I understand why he chose to retire, its the timing that is terrible.

"His body really should've failed according to the most advantageous timeline for the team I root for."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Yep now its a lost season(I guess it probably would've been even if he retired earlier) that being said I trust Reich to handle this situation since he's been in this spot as opposed to Pagano where that season was a total disaster.

If Brissett is, say, the 20th-best QB in the league, they could still win that division. Houston has a porous offensive line and can't run the ball (and lost its best ball-carrier for the season tonight), in addition to having an increasingly weak pass defense. Jacksonville, while having a very strong defense, still has a weak offense, at least on paper. The Titans have a poor pass defense and a poor pass offense. I think the Colts aren't out of the division race if Brissett is passable. He may not be, so we'll see. But I don't see any team in the division as a 10+ win team, so if Indy just stays near .500 for most of the year, they'll be in it.

I will say this: if they happen to find themselves 1-6 out of the gate, their best play, clearly, would be to tank.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Colts started 1-5 last season and finished 10-6 last year with Luck at the helm.
Do I expect Jacoby Brissett to have the anywhere close to the experience or skill of Andrew Luck? Nope.
So Jacoby got the lucky break he was looking for, but he's pretty much in the deep end now. Its sink or swim.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Colts started 1-5 last season and finished 10-6 last year with Luck at the helm.
Do I expect Jacoby Brissett to have the anywhere close to the experience or skill of Andrew Luck? Nope.
So Jacoby got the lucky break he was looking for, but he's pretty much in the deep end now. Its sink or swim.

It's good that he's at least been taking all of the first team reps at practice, all summer. He is as prepared as he can be. He has great coaching, and he has a pretty darned good supporting cast. And he's behind a much better offensive line than what he had in 2017. With Luck, I think they were an 11-5 kind of team, in the mix as a serious AFC contender. With Brissett, I'll guess 8-8. If he's not better than he was in '17, more like 6-10. If he's decent, perhaps 9 or 10 wins and still winning the division. I wouldn't rule that out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Next to combat sports, football is the sport you can't have one foot in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Next to combat sports, football is the sport you can't have one foot in.

Definitely. Actually, a guy just about the money could've tried to milk the Colts, saying he was too injured to play and forcing them to pay him this year. By retiring like this, he's giving back a portion of his signing bonus, as well as future years of salary (I'm not certain of how much guaranteed money he has left, but there has to be some). Instead, he's just walking away, and at least he is saving them money. I don't think his cap # stays on their books, once he officially retires and files the paperwork. So that's another thing: Indy should have a ton of cap space again next offseason. They already have a strong roster. They will just need to find a franchise QB again, assuming that Brissett doesn't unexpectedly turn into one.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject:

I don’t think I would enjoy playing football either with the list of injuries he had.

Quote:
Zak Keefer
@zkeefer
Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:
» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

LINK
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject:

Premature death likely complicated by CTE (your brain rattling around in your skull)

vs.

Retire a millionaire

Hmm. Yep. Just another lazy millennial.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject:

It's just a matter of time. But eventually we'll look back on NFL players the same way we look back at Gladiators in the Roman coliseum.

2000 year difference. But I guess at least these guys get paid well to die prematurely.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

It's good that he's at least been taking all of the first team reps at practice, all summer. He is as prepared as he can be. He has great coaching, and he has a pretty darned good supporting cast. And he's behind a much better offensive line than what he had in 2017. With Luck, I think they were an 11-5 kind of team, in the mix as a serious AFC contender. With Brissett, I'll guess 8-8. If he's not better than he was in '17, more like 6-10. If he's decent, perhaps 9 or 10 wins and still winning the division. I wouldn't rule that out.

The AFC South is a pretty sad division right now. The Texans ought to be dominating it, but we just keep shooting ourselves in the foot. Jacksonville looks at us and says "Hold my beer." The Colts could end up winning the division almost by default, but I have a funny feeling that this is going to be the Titans' year.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

The more I think of it, the more it makes sense to me.

No reason to by physically debilitated for life when you are already a multi millionaire.

He had some bad injuries, a lacerated kidney for instance is no joke.

I was a bit surprised, but I told a friend a couple of years back that Luck was making comments that indicated he wasn't completely in love with football.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The more I think of it, the more it makes sense to me.

No reason to by physically debilitated for life when you are already a multi millionaire.

He had some bad injuries, a lacerated kidney for instance is no joke.

I was a bit surprised, but I told a friend a couple of years back that Luck was making comments that indicated he wasn't completely in love with football.

Not everyones career is blessed like Tom Brady's....in fact most NFL careers mirror something like what Andrew Luck went thru. He will have no problem finding a post NFL football job, but I don't think he was willing to go thru another season of pain.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject:

Wow he's so lucky

From ESPN

Despite the fact that they could have recouped $24.8 million from their former quarterback, the Indianapolis Colts have reached a financial settlement with Andrew Luck and will not take back any of the money they are owed, league sources told ESPN.

The Colts essentially are telling Luck to keep it all, even though it is within their rights to reclaim the money.

The settlement was reached late last week, according to a source familiar with the talks.

Luck, 29, could have owed the Colts $12.8 million as a prorated portion of the $32 million signing bonus the Colts gave him when he signed his five-year extension in 2016, and another $12 million in roster bonuses he was paid in March. But Indianapolis waived its right to recoup the money and is allowing Luck to keep it all, after the poundings he's taken and all he's given to the franchise. It is, in an official way, his parting gift.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject:

Wvc0925 wrote:
Wow he's so lucky

From ESPN

Despite the fact that they could have recouped $24.8 million from their former quarterback, the Indianapolis Colts have reached a financial settlement with Andrew Luck and will not take back any of the money they are owed, league sources told ESPN.

The Colts essentially are telling Luck to keep it all, even though it is within their rights to reclaim the money.

The settlement was reached late last week, according to a source familiar with the talks.

Luck, 29, could have owed the Colts $12.8 million as a prorated portion of the $32 million signing bonus the Colts gave him when he signed his five-year extension in 2016, and another $12 million in roster bonuses he was paid in March. But Indianapolis waived its right to recoup the money and is allowing Luck to keep it all, after the poundings he's taken and all he's given to the franchise. It is, in an official way, his parting gift.

My guess is they don't want to drag it out in case he has a change of heart. Athletes do sometimes un-retire occasionally if they get bored.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
He is retiring to “travel the world”.

Very millennial. Lol.

Hardly.

Sure it is. He just has the means to actually do it. He could have done both in fact.

But it’s looking more like that’s not the sole reason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: