THANK YOU Dwight Howard (DH Signs with Philadelphia)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 135, 136, 137  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Dennis Miller of LG?

Talk about loft expectations of urself and spending OT on Howard thread

If you don't know, just ask. It's okay to ask, Jim.

It's ok banana head

Go hard at Dwight bro

While u r at it, grow out of YouTube bro.

YouTube is for 8yr olds hope u r older then that

youtube is for 8 year olds? so you don't watch any internet videos?

TIL Jim is in VLF's age group. Makes sense. When he's not shaking his cane at other people's posts (i now picture the Dana Carvey Old Man character when Jim does his 10x daily "still cryin over ____?" post) it's at these younguns with their yourtubes and eyephones.

Enjoy kcp, don't worry how old I am
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject:

I wished someone cared about my meaningless takes enough to be my arch rival on LG. šŸ˜
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject:

The more I think about it. The more I realize that this is a good move assuming what Ramona reported is true, that Dwight looked in great shape and moved very well. He apparently was much better than Noah and others in the work outs. If Vogel is planning on using McGee and Dwight as the rim protectors and guys that then set screens, look to get to the basket and finish, I see Dwight's skills fitting into that very well.

If we use Dwight to set screens and get to the basket. Or use him to get post position and blocking the opposing 5 man from helping on drives, it can help a lot. People are not seeing the value of having a really strong big man that can hold post position and finish plays around the basket. McGee does not do that. He is not a post presence outside of dunks and finishing plays. McGee does not have the talent to flat out defend in a possession that is critical. Dwight has talent that no one else on the team had - ability to hold position down low, against strong defensive 5s. Think about playing Portland in a series. Think about playing Denver. Think about the teams that have a strong defensive 5 that is physical. Dwight even at this stage of his career gives us what we were hoping Cousins would do for Davis, which is to get the opposing 5 man out of the equation.

Of course teams will counter this with small ball, and teams will try to hack Dwight. When Dwight is ineffective, it's nice to know that we can go with AD at 5, and move Lebron to 4. Bring in Kuzma at the 3. Dwight a few years ago would have pouted in this scenario. Right now we've made it clear to him, that if he does, he'll be cut.

I think we're the most talented team in the league. Dwight's talent has never been the issue. It's been his head. I think he is aware of his role and the possibility of having games where he is only a token starter. He may even have to beat out McGee for a starting spot. I really like this. I think we've given Dwight zero leverage, but have set ourselves up to have a really major steal talent wise if somehow he wounds up doing what his talent should enable him to. Based on talent, no one can argue against him, even at this stage of his career. He was miles ahead of Noah and the other bigs we worked out.

One thing that is clear, we are going to have to be a value the possession, halfcourt team, that plays at a much slower pace than last year. Which is fine, teams win in the league playing that way. What will define if Dwight works out or not is his effort towards his role and attitude when teams can take him out of games with small ball and FTs (Hacking). Dwight's got to be mature and a good teammate in those situations, or he's cut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
People are upset about a backup center?

Not a Dwight fan but Lebron gonna keep him in check.

LeBron can't even keep El Mariachi in check lol
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The more I think about it. The more I realize that this is a good move assuming what Ramona reported is true, that Dwight looked in great shape and moved very well. He apparently was much better than Noah and others in the work outs. If Vogel is planning on using McGee and Dwight as the rim protectors and guys that then set screens, look to get to the basket and finish, I see Dwight's skills fitting into that very well.

If we use Dwight to set screens and get to the basket. Or use him to get post position and blocking the opposing 5 man from helping on drives, it can help a lot. People are not seeing the value of having a really strong big man that can hold post position and finish plays around the basket. McGee does not do that. He is not a post presence outside of dunks and finishing plays. McGee does not have the talent to flat out defend in a possession that is critical. Dwight has talent that no one else on the team had - ability to hold position down low, against strong defensive 5s. Think about playing Portland in a series. Think about playing Denver. Think about the teams that have a strong defensive 5 that is physical. Dwight even at this stage of his career gives us what we were hoping Cousins would do for Davis, which is to get the opposing 5 man out of the equation.

Of course teams will counter this with small ball, and teams will try to hack Dwight. When Dwight is ineffective, it's nice to know that we can go with AD at 5, and move Lebron to 4. Bring in Kuzma at the 3. Dwight a few years ago would have pouted in this scenario. Right now we've made it clear to him, that if he does, he'll be cut.

I think we're the most talented team in the league. Dwight's talent has never been the issue. It's been his head. I think he is aware of his role and the possibility of having games where he is only a token starter. He may even have to beat out McGee for a starting spot. I really like this. I think we've given Dwight zero leverage, but have set ourselves up to have a really major steal talent wise if somehow he wounds up doing what his talent should enable him to. Based on talent, no one can argue against him, even at this stage of his career. He was miles ahead of Noah and the other bigs we worked out.

One thing that is clear, we are going to have to be a value the possession, halfcourt team, that plays at a much slower pace than last year. Which is fine, teams win in the league playing that way. What will define if Dwight works out or not is his effort towards his role and attitude when teams can take him out of games with small ball and FTs (Hacking). Dwight's got to be mature and a good teammate in those situations, or he's cut.

Wolf, spot on. I could not agree more. Perfectly stated, sir.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject:

I don't get the Julius comparisons. I'm thinking more along the lines of a super enhanced Kwame Brown. Phil Jackson turned Kwame into a human battering ram - which was quite effective but those hands... oh, those hands...

IF Dwight is willing to set great picks and NOT get rewarded most of the time by getting the ball down low where instead someone else fires up a 3 pointer and if Dwight is willing to spend most of his energy on defense I could absolutely see him starting for us and thriving... but it's Dwight... so he's our box of chocolates this season, you never know what you're gonna get...
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

He wanted redemption in L.A., too, after how his lone season alongside Kobe Bryant went. He wanted to be part of a championship team, and he was willing to do whatever was asked of him, no matter the role, and be held accountable at all times, Howard told them.

The Lakers had gathered momentum in their own research into Howard over the past week, but needed the roster to be fully on board. Howard won over the players in the locker room, including James and Davis, for his approach and mindset in the visit, sources said.

ā€œHeā€™s determined the make this the best opportunity by winning a title,ā€ one source said.

From Harris Faigen article
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

Still, James appearing to buy what Howard is selling is at least somewhat meaningful. James has been around long enough to know Howardā€™s reputation, to have played with mutual teammates, and to understand the risk factors here. If heā€™s even partially been ā€œwon overā€ by the way Howard is approaching this opportunity, itā€™s a good sign, because one would think heā€™d be able to detect BS pretty well by this point in his career.

Same article from Faigen
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject:

Redemption? His first round playoffs series in 2013 was third or fourth all-time largest margin of defeat in playoff history, the largest in franchise history. He wants to redeem himself for that embarrassment? The sad thing is, judging from last year, his best performances were during blowout losses. He hasnā€™t changed at all.

Apr 21, 2013 (Blowout loss, on road, 12 points)
Apr 24, 2013 (Blowout loss, on road, 11 points)
Apr 26, 2013 (Blowout loss, at home, 31 points)
Apr 28, 2013 (Blowout loss, at home, 21 points)

All those in support of this move, donā€™t whine when they suffer blowout losses.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mxgardens
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Redemption? His first round playoffs series in 2013 was third or fourth all-time largest margin of defeat in playoff history, the largest in franchise history. He wants to redeem himself for that embarrassment? The sad thing is, judging from last year, his best performances were during blowout losses. He hasnā€™t changed at all.

All those in support of this move, donā€™t whine when they suffer blowout losses.

If we suffer a blowout loss this season that's attributable to Howard, it won't matter because that would mean we already had suffered catastrophic injuries.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
IF Dwight is willing to set great picks and NOT get rewarded most of the time by getting the ball down low where instead someone else fires up a 3 pointer and if Dwight is willing to spend most of his energy on defense I could absolutely see him starting for us and thriving... but it's Dwight... so he's our box of chocolates this season, you never know what you're gonna get...

Yeah if Dwight could just do those things he wouldn't be in the situation he's currently in, participating in a tryout to beat out Mo Speights. We all recognize Dwight's talent at the 1 or 2 things he does well, but he hasn't been a good screen setter for years. He can't hit a FT. He's a terrible passer. He cant spread the floor.

Even still, if it were as simple as him just being a good defender and rebounder who can finish around the rim he'd be a big money player right now. Every team could use a rim protecting, athletic Center, right? And yet the Rockets didn't try to re-sign him. The Hawks had him for one season before they had enough and traded him for Miles Plumlee and Marco Bellinelli. The Hornets had him for one season before they had enough and traded him for Mozgov. The Nets decided they rather cut him and eat the money than allow him to step foot in their locker room. He was hurt with the Wizards, but they had him locked up for another season on a fairly cheap deal. But their new GM realized he couldn't build the culture he wanted to if Dwight Howard was in the locker room. Couldn't the Grizzlies use a veteran rim protecting center who just sets great screens and rebounds? Because they also dumped him for nothing. So if anyone wants to make the argument that he's simply a very talented rim protecting rebounder and therefore a no-brainer they also have to explain why nobody wants him (and in some cases make sacrifices just to rid themselves of him). They also have to explain why the thing that keeps happening with him won't happen with us and the explanation has to be more compelling than "I hope it doesn't".
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Still, James appearing to buy what Howard is selling is at least somewhat meaningful. James has been around long enough to know Howardā€™s reputation, to have played with mutual teammates, and to understand the risk factors here. If heā€™s even partially been ā€œwon overā€ by the way Howard is approaching this opportunity, itā€™s a good sign, because one would think heā€™d be able to detect BS pretty well by this point in his career.

Same article from Faigen

It's actually very meaningful that Lebron and AD are on board with this signing.
I hope Vogel is as well.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Same article from Faigen

It's actually very meaningful that Lebron and AD are on board with this signing.
I hope Vogel is as well.

Exactly. The guys that want to win more than us fans are on board...we should at least see how this works out.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The more I think about it. The more I realize that this is a good move assuming what Ramona reported is true, that Dwight looked in great shape and moved very well. He apparently was much better than Noah and others in the work outs.

I have to agree here. It's a low risk move that grabs a guy who can potentially play a signficant role. If it doesn't work out it didn't cost much.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

What kind of player ā€œwants to winā€ by getting ejected, at home, during a playoff elimination game? What a crock of (bleep).

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject:

Dwight is who he is and is too old to change. He'll say one thing, but do another and will be cut during the season like Beasley was. The only question is when.
Citizen Arcane
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

We had a starting lineup with Steve Blake playing against four future hall of famers... Barry only condemned Dwight for one of those four games in his recap.

Are you trying to defend Dwight by supplying those links?

Dwight was a disappointment but they were outmanned.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

Citizen Arcane wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

LMAO k

We had a starting lineup with Steve Blake playing against four future hall of famers... Barry only condemned Dwight for one of those four games in his recap.

Are you trying to defend Dwight by supplying those links?

Dwight was a disappointment but they were outmanned.

LMAO at Just Ming...think heā€™s biased?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject:

Obviously DH has not fully matured (at least in regards to his relations wth members of his previous teams). His signing, however, is simply a no brainer. The pendulum clearly moved towards his singing when considering his play vs. his contract, the situation we were in, and alternatives.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Yeah if Dwight could just do those things he wouldn't be in the situation he's currently in, participating in a tryout to beat out Mo Speights. We all recognize Dwight's talent at the 1 or 2 things he does well, but he hasn't been a good screen setter for years. He can't hit a FT. He's a terrible passer. He cant spread the floor.

Even still, if it were as simple as him just being a good defender and rebounder who can finish around the rim he'd be a big money player right now. Every team could use a rim protecting, athletic Center, right? And yet the Rockets didn't try to re-sign him. The Hawks had him for one season before they had enough and traded him for Miles Plumlee and Marco Bellinelli. The Hornets had him for one season before they had enough and traded him for Mozgov. The Nets decided they rather cut him and eat the money than allow him to step foot in their locker room. He was hurt with the Wizards, but they had him locked up for another season on a fairly cheap deal. But their new GM realized he couldn't build the culture he wanted to if Dwight Howard was in the locker room. Couldn't the Grizzlies use a veteran rim protecting center who just sets great screens and rebounds? Because they also dumped him for nothing. So if anyone wants to make the argument that he's simply a very talented rim protecting rebounder and therefore a no-brainer they also have to explain why nobody wants him (and in some cases make sacrifices just to rid themselves of him). They also have to explain why the thing that keeps happening with him won't happen with us and the explanation has to be more compelling than "I hope it doesn't".

+ 1M
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Dwight is who he is and is too old to change. He'll say one thing, but do another and will be cut during the season like Beasley was. The only question is when.

And this.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Did she say they worked out Speights or was it only against Noah?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

They were outmatched? They had Nash, Artest, Gasol and prime Howard.

Did either of you even read what he wrote?

Game 1
    Dwight and the team were somewhat inefficient trying to get him going in the post. Too many times we forced bad passes or Dwight's sloppy fundamentals would result in a turnover. It won't show up in the FG percentage, but in those team turnovers and GT's chart of points per possession (0.53 for Dwight). It was never smooth. Some of our best sequences for him were set up out of a timeout. That just shows the lack of chemistry and cohesion that they aren't able to pull off anything clean for him without a deadball discussion. Off those today, we had some nice lob sequences and even worked the Pau/Dwight two-man game. "We'll be better. We'll be better," Dwight said, mentioning a couple of adjustments they can make against doubles and the aggressiveness of the bigs fronting at times. He thinks they will counter that better and wear the bigs down over the course of the series. I'd like to see some better work on the offensive glass. It looked like Dwight and Pau were more tired and giving up on some opportunities to get after it there. (Between the two, they had 31 boards, but just 1 offensive board). Defensively, the team was reasonably solid. There were a few breakdowns on rotations behind Dwight, but it wasn't bad. He patrolled the paint and we let the Spurs try to finish on open midrange looks by hanging back off the screens. They may need to tighten that up, but I don't think they want to get sucked into giving up too many open threes. Dwight has to be careful on switches to watch Bonner popping out for threes. I could see the Spurs trying to set that up more in the next one.
Game 2
    A more active night from Dwight. The Lakers need him to impose himself off ball and he didn't a better job of that tonight. However, he also picked up foul trouble in the third quarter on the offensive end. I liked the aggression on that end, but not the sloppy lack of fundamentals and knowing what he can and can't get away with. Just too many throw away fouls and throw away possessions that leave him not bringing the complete game impact. The Lakers didn't seem to rely on him for as many back-to-the-basket post ups like the last game, which was just awful. He still had a ton of turnovers. He had a few touches in the post, but he did his damage on high-lows, offensive putbacks...the quick strikes we want him to score on. Defensively, when he was out of the game you could see Parker attack the lane without that presence. Spurs bringing a lot to impose their will. "Either we overcome it or we go home," Dwight said.
Game 3
    Offensively, we settled quite a bit for just dumping the ball to him in the post. This is consistently an inefficient option with Dwight's skills. What worked best, of course, were those quick strikes off interior or high-low passing sequences. Pau really knows how to play with Dwight on that end of the floor. The Lakers did a good job moving the ball from the corner when Dwight was fronted to Pau out top, who quickly fired down low to Dwight over the top for scores. Really, I don't know why the Spurs bother fronting the post to Dwight. You want him to have it on iso, not quick strikes. On the other side of the floor, we were a mess. We needed to crowd shooters more in this game to drive them to Dwight. That meant both Pau closing on Duncan or Dwight getting tighter on PGs coming off screens (an occasional trap by our bigs to mix things up would have been nice, too).
Game 4
    He picked up a second tech to start the half yelling at the refs when he already had one tech. I'm surprised he didn't get more leeway from the refs, but he should have also watched his tongue after picking up that first tech. That looked pretty cheap, though. It looked like he might have yelled something to Mitch as he passed him in the tunnel. Could have been yelling at the refs still, but not sure. He said he didn't remember. "It's over with now," Dwight said. He added he needs to keep his cool when things don't go well. "It's like a nightmare, a bad dream and couldn't wake up out of it," Dwight said. "We'll get an opportunity to get some rest for guys coming off of injury, a chance to rehab and think about what we can all do to better ourselves." Asked if he was showing optimism about coming back, he said, "You're reading too much into it." Not much of a game today. Again, any time we tried to force the offense through him for iso plays, it was terribly inefficient and turnover prone. He really needs to work on his post game this offseason. Cut the sloppy fighting for post position using his arms, work on fundamentals. Concentrate on post footwork and how to protect the ball better. And, of course, figure something out with the terrible FT shooting. He looked better as the season went along health wise and will have a better season next year. Big summer. "We've maintained a pretty good relationship," Dwight said of Kobe, saying he will be there for Kobe "as a brother." Asked about a vote of confidence for D'Antoni, he said he didn't want to comment on anything related to that.

Of course Iā€™m biased. I watched that train wreck.
Citizen Arcane
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject:

You guys that are predicting a negative outcome have an unfair advantage because most supporting Dwight here also believe a negative outcome is likely.

It's just that some of us believe an even more negative outcome would have happened with Noah, Speights, Gortat.

Not locker room negative but box score negative... we will likely never know which would have been worse because only one scenario likely plays itself out this year. If Dwight is a pain in the ass and gets cut... we'll probably never know if Speights, Gortat, Noah also failed. But those who predicted he would fail will act like they were right when the truth is no one will know unless we sign one of the other three after him and they actually help us win a title.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Of course Iā€™m biased. I watched that train wreck.

People have short memories. It was agonizing to watch his effort that year and that was 6 years ago when he was still good. That injured Lakers team waant going to beat the Spurs, but Dwight's effort in that series was abysmal. He already had a foot out the door. I can forgive the losses but not getting himself tossed so he could duck out and let his teammates endure the rest of the blowout. This is who Dwight is, and it doesn't change no matter how many different uniforms he puts on. That's who people want to root for this year?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Page 22 of 137
Jump to: