OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3700, 3701, 3702 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Boogie was a play we had to make (the potential reward outweighed risk). KCP was a bad signing both in terms of timing (when he signed) and contract amount.

KCP has not turned out to be the player thought. For 18M could have gotten Iggy.
KCP does not show up at end of games or critical situations.
But as you say he is there at garbage time.
A good defensive SF for that price was a much better shot.
Politics seem to play with the Lakers.

We have 8 players out of 15 who are classified as "guards." Everyone in that group except Danny Green is limited to defending guards. We have a gaping hole at SF behind LBJ (who is best at small ball PF).

It has to be Kuz.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
Boogie was a play we had to make (the potential reward outweighed risk). KCP was a bad signing both in terms of timing (when he signed) and contract amount.

KCP has not turned out to be the player thought. For 18M could have gotten Iggy.

We have 8 players out of 15 who are classified as "guards." Everyone in that group except Danny Green is limited to defending guards. We have a gaping hole at SF behind LBJ (who is best at small ball PF).

It has to be Kuz.

And that's pretty crazy to me, unless he takes a miracle developmental leap on defense this year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

No, it was a high risk, low reward play. It is no surprise that he suffered another injury, look at Kobe post-Achilles, and he kept himself in great shape. Cousins was fat and out of shape when he was injured, the chances of additional injury were high. We spent that roster spot and salary cap to kiss Klutch ass. The chances of something positive happening from that signing were about the same as betting that the sun won’t set tonight.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

It has to be Kuz.

And that's pretty crazy to me, unless he takes a miracle developmental leap on defense this year.

The bright side...? He'll probably be bad defensively at either position, but his lackluster rebounding won't be as much of an issue against 3s.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
laker50 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

It has to be Kuz.

The bright side...? He'll probably be bad defensively at either position, but his lackluster rebounding won't be as much of an issue against 3s.

Yeah. I think his defensive woes are better masked at SF compared to PF.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

I hope this debate about our roster being weak at sf stops after USA got beat by France. We have the best defensive, big men guarding the paint with AD, Mcgee and Dwight, with the right defense and proper funneling we can overcome the lack of true SF in this team.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

No, it was a high risk, low reward play. It is no surprise that he suffered another injury, look at Kobe post-Achilles, and he kept himself in great shape. Cousins was fat and out of shape when he was injured, the chances of additional injury were high. We spent that roster spot and salary cap to kiss Klutch ass. The chances of something positive happening from that signing were about the same as betting that the sun won’t set tonight.

Negative. We all know it is very easy to be a Monday morning QB when resident GM's bat 100%. However, if one objectively looked at Boogies play starting when he came back, they would have noticed the continuous improvement he showed each and every month. Comparing Boogie to KB is apples and oranges so I will not go there. Calling Cousins fat and out of shape when he got hurt is disingenuous because by all accounts and numerous reports, he was in good shape and had dropped a lot of weight. Cousins was not a client of Klutch (aka "the devil" or Lakers scapegoat) so it had no bearing (although LJ and AD did want Boogie). The roster spot and money spent on Cousins was insignificant and many throughout the NBA thought it was a good signing. I am not a fan of Boogie, but as I previously said, it was a play we had to make and the potential reward outweighed the risk.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Boogie was a low risk, high reward play.

I'm just sad that it was for 3.5m instead of the vet's minimum as originally reported by WOJ at the time. If it was vet's min, we could have used that 3.5m (likely on another damn guard or KCP ).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject:

Can't wait for the AD, McGee, Dwight lineup. Where Lebron throws the ball at the rim every time and all 3 jump for dunks.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Can't wait for the AD, McGee, Dwight lineup. Where Lebron throws the ball at the rim every time and all 3 jump for dunks.

You beat me to it Epak.

Love to see a lineup of

C Mcgee
PF Dwight
SF AD
SG Kuz
PG LBJ

Our bigs are very agile for their size. I will overplay my D and force shot inside the 3pts. I will take my chances on us getting more reb and shooting a higher percentage than the other team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Negative. We all know it is very easy to be a Monday morning QB when resident GM's bat 100%. However, if one objectively looked at Boogies play starting when he came back, they would have noticed the continuous improvement he showed each and every month. Comparing Boogie to KB is apples and oranges so I will not go there. Calling Cousins fat and out of shape when he got hurt is disingenuous because by all accounts and numerous reports, he was in good shape and had dropped a lot of weight. Cousins was not a client of Klutch (aka "the devil" or Lakers scapegoat) so it had no bearing (although LJ and AD did want Boogie). The roster spot and money spent on Cousins was insignificant and many throughout the NBA thought it was a good signing. I am not a fan of Boogie, but as I previously said, it was a play we had to make and the potential reward outweighed the risk.

I posted the same regarding injury before we signed Cousins and argued that the money could be better spent. No after the fact comments here.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I posted the same regarding injury before we signed Cousins and argued that the money could be better spent. No after the fact comments here.

Legit question, where would you have preferred that money go?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
epak wrote:

You beat me to it Epak.

Love to see a lineup of

C Mcgee
PF Dwight
SF AD
SG Kuz
PG LBJ

Our bigs are very agile for their size. I will overplay my D and force shot inside the 3pts. I will take my chances on us getting more reb and shooting a higher percentage than the other team.

I'm leaning towards that lineup not being successful. And I don't really think we'll see that lineup. Remember when Phil rarely used Bynum + Pau + LO?

I was posting that lineup more in fun; seeing 3 freakish leapers getting oops from Lebron type of thing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject:

It wasn’t my original idea but people were pushing Holli-Jefferson and I liked that idea. Plus it would have given us a backup for Lebron. And I liked Amir Johnson as our 3rd center. Plus I saw no reason to re-sign KCP.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Boogie was a low risk, high reward play.

I'm just sad that it was for 3.5m instead of the vet's minimum as originally reported by WOJ at the time. If it was vet's min, we could have used that 3.5m (likely on another damn guard or KCP ).

Spot on. I was pissed when I found out that WOJ was wrong (either though its was still a very good get for us).
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It wasn’t my original idea but people were pushing Holli-Jefferson and I liked that idea. Plus it would have given us a backup for Lebron. And I liked Amir Johnson as our 3rd center. Plus I saw no reason to re-sign KCP.

KCP I’ll give you, but Boogie was supposed to be our back up center. Not third. RHJ would have been an absolutely terrific pick up. But he went for Vet minimum. Again I say, if not Boogie who then? Because you could have done a ton with KCP dollars while still signing Boogie. His injuries in the playoffs was concerning but he was looking in terrific shape. Went for the homerun, can’t blame them. The problem was passing on potential free agent all stars waiting on Kawhi to burn us
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait to see a Caruso-DG-Kuzma-LBJ-Davis death lineup and for Kuzma to dunk on these haters in here.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

RHJ and Jordan Bell went for minimums
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject:

we have waaay too many guards

Bradley
Green
Caruso
KCP
Cook
Daniels
Rondo

even if you DNP Daniels and Rondo there's not enough minutes to go around. My thoughts are that Green should stagger with Lebron to cover as many SF minutes as possible when Lebron is not in the game. Additionally Lebron and AD need to stagger minutes so that atleast one of them is on the court for as much as possible.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
I can't wait to see a Caruso-DG-Kuzma-LBJ-Davis death lineup and for Kuzma to dunk on these haters in here.

You know what, that's the exact death lineup this Kuz hater wants to see succeed. And what I think will be the team's best lineup barring a Bradley renaissance.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I agree with you. Hard to think there was anything to criticize in getting Cousins for one year at $3.5 million.

Continuing to sign KCP to big contracts makes no sense to me unless it was some under-the-table deal to get Lebron and AD.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

RHJ and Jordan Bell went for minimums

I was never crazy about Bell. A center rotation of Javelle, AD and Johnson would have been fine.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
we have waaay too many guards

Bradley
Green
Caruso
KCP
Cook
Daniels
Rondo

even if you DNP Daniels and Rondo there's not enough minutes to go around. My thoughts are that Green should stagger with Lebron to cover as many SF minutes as possible when Lebron is not in the game. Additionally Lebron and AD need to stagger minutes so that atleast one of them is on the court for as much as possible.

+ THT and Norvell, which makes nine guards, only one of whom (Danny Green) we can realistically expect to play minutes at SF during the playoffs if we get there.

Toronto has 3 SFs: Anunoby, RHJ, Stanley Johnson... and 2 more on non-guaranteed contracts: Miller, Robinson.
Memphis has 7 SFs: Iggy, Hill, Anderson, Crowder, Jackson, Brooks, Caboclo.
Atlanta has 5 SFs: Parsons, Turner, Hunter, Reddish, DeAndre Bembry.

We've already brought up RHJ, Stanley Johnson, Iggy, Crowder and Caboclo before. So I think DeAndre Bembry is another SF option we could make a play for. Atlanta will want to play their rookies at the SF position, Hunter and Reddish. Bembry is on a $2.6m contract, hustles and plays hard, and is athletic/strong enough to help defend Kawaii. His dunks will entertain the crowd during regular season as well. I hope he's on Rob's radar.

DeAndre Bembry Top 10 Plays from 2018-2019 NBA Season:

DeAndre Bembry vs Raptors 2019... 11 pts, 6 rebs, 5 asts, 5 stls.. Highlights with Defense:

Bradley, Green, Bembry, LeGramps, AD - would be a strong closing lineup if Kuz isn't able to guard the SF.

Make it happen, Rob!

Last edited by LAL1947 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Do the math: If Lebron James, Anthony Davis and Kyle Kuzma each play 32 minutes at forward, with a total of 48 minutes at each forward position, how many minutes are left? The answer is none.

The only minutes available at forward would be in the event of an injury (or rest.)

Last edited by JUST-MING on Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Nice LAL1947, I like Bembry, didn't know he had defensive chops. Dunno how we'd trade for him.. but he'd be a fun addition
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3700, 3701, 3702 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 3701 of 8560
Jump to: