2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117, 118  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1488

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
I kinda wish they would've ditched the champagne party this year. Set the tone that, yeah, this is cool, but not even close to what we're after.

But I get it...it's tradition and we have so many rookies on the squad that should get to enjoy it as well.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. These guys are playing a game, after all, and should have some fun after accomplishing one of their goals.


I don't think they should get rid of it because they aren't the Yankees. They also are one of those teams that rely on a lot of up and coming talent from the farm system so its a new experience for many of those players....why get rid of it because our past teams couldn't finish the task?


Because it's such a small step. I get if you win the LDS and then LCS, sure. But it's crazy to me that a team would do a champagne celebration for winning the second wild-card, then champagne celebration for winning the wild-card game the next day and so-on.

And I dunno, if I were Kershaw, Jansen, Turner and the lot who've done this 7 years in a row, I'd almost be like...'meh'.

I, personally, think it'd be badass if they just did a tame celebration and move on, but I get that the rookies and the new players deserve to celebrate.


So take the celebration away from the rookies?

How do you go about deciding what year to end the celebration? Is the 7th year the cutoff?


I'm not like crazily adamant against it. I get why they do it. It's just weird when you think about it, no?

Personally, I wouldn't ever do it, really. That's just me, though.

Could you imagine if the Lakers did that when clinching a playoff berth? Again, don't mind them celebrating...but I do feel it's a bit over-the-top nowadays.


I don't think it's fair to compare baseball to basketball though.

Baseball's playoffs is the most exclusive club in all sports.

It used to be only 4 teams made the playoffs. Think about that.

The NBA has over half the league making the playoffs. I remember when there were only 23 teams and 16 teams made the playoffs.

I agree now it's easier to make the playoffs in MLB due to 3 divisions winners and 2 wild cards.

Also, you have to take into consideration the grueling 162 game schedule.

But honestly, if the NBA only had 4 teams make the playoffs every year, I think they'd celebrate as well. That's pretty much like making the Conference Finals.

But really, I think it's the fact that they play so many games - I think that's why they celebrate. It's a LONG season. That and the fact that one player has less impact in mlb than other sports.

Mike Trout's made the playoffs ONCE in his career? Kobe missed the playoffs what, 2-3 times?

NBA players just have more impact on the game than MLB players. You really need the entire team to click to make the playoffs.

In the NBA, you can have 1-2 superstars and a bunch of scrubs and you're guaranteed to make the playoffs.


That's why I get it...it's tradition. And back before the divisions, it used to be only NL and AL and the teams that finished in first place were automatically in the world series. So I get why they'd celebrate then.

My point is now there are 10 teams making the playoffs and it just seems silly that they'd go all out when there is just so much more to play. Say they keep expanding the amount of teams in the playoffs to where there are more rounds (doubtful this would ever happen, but just for examples sake), would they still keep celebrating like this?

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but it's crazy that a team will go nuts clinching the 2nd wild-card, then play the next day and win the wild-card game and go nuts again when they have to turn around and play the LDS either the next day or the day after that...lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 10047

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
So the MVP is Cody's to lose at this point, eh?

Also, I feel like Kobe was the only one that could pull of the "we're not celebrating unless it's the championship" thing. Otherwise, why not celebrate your accomplishments? 7 in a row is no small feat.


I think he's already lost it to Yellich. Same with Ryu for Cy Young.


MVP is a WAR award and Bellinger is so far ahead of Yelich in WAR


That is the trend. By WAR, Bellinger has it hand's down. By his play of late, not so. Up until yesterday, I think I would choose Yellich because they are so close, he has been consistent, and he is truly more valuable to his team.

Still, I won't complain when Belli gets it.
_________________
If ever there were a Mount Rushmore of liars, it would be Trump, Trump, Trump, and Trump.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 3977

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Seager is locked in right now. At the plate and on the field. I still think he has the most upside of all of our players. I'm very excited.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5381

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
That's why I get it...it's tradition. And back before the divisions, it used to be only NL and AL and the teams that finished in first place were automatically in the world series. So I get why they'd celebrate then.

My point is now there are 10 teams making the playoffs and it just seems silly that they'd go all out when there is just so much more to play. Say they keep expanding the amount of teams in the playoffs to where there are more rounds (doubtful this would ever happen, but just for examples sake), would they still keep celebrating like this?

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but it's crazy that a team will go nuts clinching the 2nd wild-card, then play the next day and win the wild-card game and go nuts again when they have to turn around and play the LDS either the next day or the day after that...lol.


Yeah, it won't stop.

It's still hard as hell to make the playoffs. Look at the teams making a push for the wild card right now. The Mets have been making a push since All Star break?

If I'm a Mets player, I'd celebrate as hell if I clinched a playoff berth.

I actually can understand it more for wild card teams because they are pushing for 162 games.

The division winners like the Dodgers who've wrapped it up for so long now, it just seems anti-climatic.

But for the Mets, Diamondbacks, teams that are pushing till the end, I totally get why they would celebrate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5381

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Keith Law has moved Gavin Lux up to #3 in his prospect rankings.

And the Pirates wanted him and another prospect. Ridiculous.

You don't give up the no. 3 prospect for a reliever (unless you're Tommy Lasorda trading Konerko for Shaw).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 1488

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
That's why I get it...it's tradition. And back before the divisions, it used to be only NL and AL and the teams that finished in first place were automatically in the world series. So I get why they'd celebrate then.

My point is now there are 10 teams making the playoffs and it just seems silly that they'd go all out when there is just so much more to play. Say they keep expanding the amount of teams in the playoffs to where there are more rounds (doubtful this would ever happen, but just for examples sake), would they still keep celebrating like this?

Not trying to be a curmudgeon, but it's crazy that a team will go nuts clinching the 2nd wild-card, then play the next day and win the wild-card game and go nuts again when they have to turn around and play the LDS either the next day or the day after that...lol.


Yeah, it won't stop.

It's still hard as hell to make the playoffs. Look at the teams making a push for the wild card right now. The Mets have been making a push since All Star break?

If I'm a Mets player, I'd celebrate as hell if I clinched a playoff berth.

I actually can understand it more for wild card teams because they are pushing for 162 games.

The division winners like the Dodgers who've wrapped it up for so long now, it just seems anti-climatic.

But for the Mets, Diamondbacks, teams that are pushing till the end, I totally get why they would celebrate.


Yeah, totally. I think it does get amplified more in my mind when the Dodgers have had this sucker wrapped up for months.

But yeah, I can see teams working their tail off and making it on the last day or week go nuts.

Anyways, enough of my semi-rant. As you said, it ain't ever going away...lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 13559

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

it’s games like this against an American league team that has me feeling if we make it back to the WS that our bullpen will get torched
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 25581

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Seager is locked in right now. At the plate and on the field. I still think he has the most upside of all of our players. I'm very excited.


As far as consistency and all around play I agree with you that Seager is the guy I'd look to most among the young core.
_________________
(bleep) those 2 guys. Onward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14579

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Keith Law has moved Gavin Lux up to #3 in his prospect rankings.

And the Pirates wanted him and another prospect. Ridiculous.

You don't give up the no. 3 prospect for a reliever (unless you're Tommy Lasorda trading Konerko for Shaw).


If you're Tommy, then you give up the #1 position prospect and #1 pitching prospect in your organization for a team that ultimately didn't even make the playoffs. Then because you don't even know the rules, your guy can become a free-agent and your successor has to make him one of the highest paid closers in order to make the deal less of a debacle. And this comes after chasing away arguably one of the best pitchers of all time before he was going into his prime because you felt he was "too small" despite pitching 100+ innings as a reliever.

Tommy really f'd up the Dodgers in the '90s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 8027
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Keith Law has moved Gavin Lux up to #3 in his prospect rankings.

And the Pirates wanted him and another prospect. Ridiculous.

You don't give up the no. 3 prospect for a reliever (unless you're Tommy Lasorda trading Konerko for Shaw).


If you're Tommy, then you give up the #1 position prospect and #1 pitching prospect in your organization for a team that ultimately didn't even make the playoffs. Then because you don't even know the rules, your guy can become a free-agent and your successor has to make him one of the highest paid closers in order to make the deal less of a debacle. And this comes after chasing away arguably one of the best pitchers of all time before he was going into his prime because you felt he was "too small" despite pitching 100+ innings as a reliever.

Tommy really f'd up the Dodgers in the '90s.


Man and Piazza getting traded and letting Beltre go.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 02 Jan 2011
Posts: 34730
Location: 502 Bad Gateway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Is there a reason Caleb Ferguson is still in the big leagues?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18290
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Rich Hill leaves early with a knee problem. If he is not an option for the postseason roster, I wonder what they do with a potential Game 4 starter, either in the NLDS or NLCS.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18290
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject:

OK, so I called out Justin Turner for a total lack of effort on a play in the field a couple of weeks ago in San Diego. Tonight, I'm going the other way. The Dodgers had the bases loaded with 2 outs and a 3-2 count on Russell Martin. He chased a high pitch and struck out, but the catcher committed a passed ball and so Bellinger scored from third. Then a split second later, you saw Corey Seager hustling hard from second base and he scored, too! Love the effort there.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 12895

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
OK, so I called out Justin Turner for a total lack of effort on a play in the field a couple of weeks ago in San Diego. Tonight, I'm going the other way. The Dodgers had the bases loaded with 2 outs and a 3-2 count on Russell Martin. He chased a high pitch and struck out, but the catcher committed a passed ball and so Bellinger scored from third. Then a split second later, you saw Corey Seager hustling hard from second base and he scored, too! Love the effort there.


I bet the pitcher got reamed for not covering home plate.
_________________
Think about how stupid the avg. person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

---George Carlin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18290
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

^
Bundy was very frustrated. On an earlier pitch or two in the at-bat (might have even been the previous pitch), he should have been out of the inning because Martin totally went around on a check swing. Inexplicably, the first base ump ruled no swing. The entire Orioles bench was visibly frustrated. Then he strikes him out on a high fastball on the next pitch--not even that high, really--and the catcher somehow has it go off his glove. He was probably steamed, and knew the first run was going to score, and wasn't even considering the second runner.

But yes, you're right: total mistake by Bundy.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 18290
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

Rich Hill likely done for the year.
_________________
OK, no superteam, but we can still do this. Onward and upward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 459
Location: Somewhere in China

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Rich Hill likely done for the year.


Ugh, I was hoping he'd be a rotation guy when the playoffs started....

Oh well

_________________
Visit:
www.bestcatgear.com and www.reviewhouseware.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 13559

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Kershaw is so done ... serving batting practice at Citi Field. That was a huge no doubter bomb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5381

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Kershaw is so done ... serving batting practice at Citi Field. That was a huge no doubter bomb


Interesting comment

I was expecting us to be down big after reading this comment

I looked up the score and we’re up 4-1 in the 5th

I checked again to see if we played an earlier double header hame or something..... Nope!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 13559

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Kershaw is so done ... serving batting practice at Citi Field. That was a huge no doubter bomb


Interesting comment

I was expecting us to be down big after reading this comment

I looked up the score and we’re up 4-1 in the 5th


give him time ... he’s walking on rice paper every game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3383
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Kershaw is so done ... serving batting practice at Citi Field. That was a huge no doubter bomb


Interesting comment

I was expecting us to be down big after reading this comment

I looked up the score and we’re up 4-1 in the 5th


give him time ... he’s walking on rice paper every game


Lol no he's not he has top 5 era in the NL. This has been his most consistent season in the past few. He's given up a lot less homers in a season with a juiced ball and had had a really good string of quality starts. Don't let the lack of velocity fool you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3383
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Rich Hill likely done for the year.


Ugh, I was hoping he'd be a rotation guy when the playoffs started....

Oh well


On a similar note the announcing team just announced that Verdugo is done for the season. He went from an oblique injury to heading on a rehab assignment to back issues to done for the season. Wow
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 3383
Location: Mukdahan, Thailand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

According to my Red Sox fan buddy the Sox fired Dombrowski one year removed from winning the World Series. Apparently he was wanted to let Sale go and John Henry overruled him and signed him to a big extension. Sale was not right all season. On another front it appears they will trade one of Betts or Martinez Anyone want an outfield of Betts Bellinger and Pollock or Joc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
JerryWest_44
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 22 May 2004
Posts: 13559

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Kershaw is so done ... serving batting practice at Citi Field. That was a huge no doubter bomb


Interesting comment

I was expecting us to be down big after reading this comment

I looked up the score and we’re up 4-1 in the 5th


give him time ... he’s walking on rice paper every game


Lol no he's not he has top 5 era in the NL. This has been his most consistent season in the past few. He's given up a lot less homers in a season with a juiced ball and had had a really good string of quality starts. Don't let the lack of velocity fool you.



Yup .. he’s got the Mets guessing even when Syndergaard’s changeup of 92mph is faster than Kershaw’s fastball
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 5381

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Kershaw is so done ... serving batting practice at Citi Field. That was a huge no doubter bomb


Interesting comment

I was expecting us to be down big after reading this comment

I looked up the score and we’re up 4-1 in the 5th


give him time ... he’s walking on rice paper every game


Yeah, I’m just saying from your comment I was expecting something far worse than 1 run on 3 hits through 6 innings.

Of all the starts that you could have chosen to declare him as “done,” it’s interesting that you chose this one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117, 118  Next
Page 116 of 118
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB