TEAM USA BASKETBALL THREAD-FIBA Tourney
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject:

USA still has a formidable A-team in the fold for 2020 with players like (if they decide to join):

Curry
Harden
Kawhi
PG13
AD
Kyrie

but for 2024, after AD who is the youngest USA super star, theres a huge gap of no blue chip players until you get to Zion
we will need players like Mitchel, Fox, etc to really make that transformative leap and become top 10 level NBA players
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

Spain still a beast team. Interested to see them in the Olympics.
lenouveau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

[quote="TDRock"]Spain still a beast team. Interested to see them in the Olympics.[/quote]

Overachievers. Last drop squeezed out of a unique generation.

I see them out of the medals in the Olympics.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The US will always have a much bigger population than those other countries. So I’m not sure things will change that much except for maybe other countries improving, like maybe Germany for example.

I don't think its a matter of population, but rather how popular a sport is....
Basketball is pretty popular in the US, which is why they will never have a problem finding talent here. In comparison we have way more people here than most soccer powerhouses, but we are pretty terrible on the men's side of the sport because there isn't as much passion and love for the sport compared to other countries.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
The US will always have a much bigger population than those other countries. So I’m not sure things will change that much except for maybe other countries improving, like maybe Germany for example.

I don't think its a matter of population, but rather how popular a sport is....
Basketball is pretty popular in the US, which is why they will never have a problem finding talent here. In comparison we have way more people here than most soccer powerhouses, but we are pretty terrible on the men's side of the sport because there isn't as much passion and love for the sport compared to other countries.

Both are important. Population is a big deal when a lot of Americans are really into the sport.

It also helps a lot that the NBA is in the US, so a lot of players in other countries are the ones playing in inferior leagues. With soccer, the US has MLS and sometimes that hurts the national team. Americans trying to become elite soccer players need to go overseas to develop their games.

I’ve reached a point where I’ve gotten sick of watching the men’s (soccer) team. I expected to see some improvement but the team has regressed. I was hoping for more progess by the 2022 World Cup.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
USA still has a formidable A-team in the fold for 2020 with players like (if they decide to join):

Curry
Harden
Kawhi
PG13
AD
Kyrie

but for 2024, after AD who is the youngest USA super star, theres a huge gap of no blue chip players until you get to Zion
we will need players like Mitchel, Fox, etc to really make that transformative leap and become top 10 level NBA players

You know LBJ isn't missing his last Olympics. He will be on that team too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject:

Kobesystem wrote:
they should scrap all the older guys and just start with the new era after the 2020 Olympics....

PG: Dlo, Fox
SG: Mitchell, Booker
SF: Tatum, Caris
PF: JJJ, AG
C: Turner, Jared Allen.

Others: Joe Harris, Dejounte Murray, Kuzma, etc.

I don't see us winning many golds with that roster. I'd add Zion on the roster obviously. Towns is toilet paper soft on D. But he might be worth a look as well with his floor spacing ability. Since there is only 1 ball, I'd look at lights out catch and shooters like Hield as well. Tatum is so freaking inconsistent. He's not someone you want to rely on to win you games in international play.

Bradley Beal and CJ McCullom should be early 30s in 2024, they may be worth considering as well.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Towns is toilet paper soft on D.

I mentioned Towns earlier, but it turns out that he has played for the Dominican Republic and is likely unavailable to us.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject:

So any way we can get Giannis on the USA team?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Pop is overrated.
He is a great coach, but not the greatest of all time coach, many seem to like to tout him with. He is not in Phil's class, or even Mike K's class.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobesystem
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Kobesystem wrote:
they should scrap all the older guys and just start with the new era after the 2020 Olympics....

PG: Dlo, Fox
SG: Mitchell, Booker
SF: Tatum, Caris
PF: JJJ, AG
C: Turner, Jared Allen.

Others: Joe Harris, Dejounte Murray, Kuzma, etc.

I don't see us winning many golds with that roster. I'd add Zion on the roster obviously. Towns is toilet paper soft on D. But he might be worth a look as well with his floor spacing ability. Since there is only 1 ball, I'd look at lights out catch and shooters like Hield as well. Tatum is so freaking inconsistent. He's not someone you want to rely on to win you games in international play.

Bradley Beal and CJ McCullom should be early 30s in 2024, they may be worth considering as well.

Towns reps DR.

Also, Hield reps the Bahamas.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: