Lakers vs Nets games in China might get canceled (update: leaning towards letting Nets/Lakers play)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
crazylakerfan001 wrote:
So sick of American companies bowing down to a communist nation

And now China is basically trying define our constitution on what counts as freedom of speech and what doesn’t

Also can’t believe there’s people on this forum who are actually ok with being controlled on what to do, what to say, what to read, what to watch, etc.

Businesses tied to China are pretty much beholden to the CCP's whims. Too much to lose in Chinese business. Several posters have pounded on that point repeatedly, making it abundantly, nauseatingly clear for the last day or two, non-stop. Still, those with no specific ties to China could give a crap about whether or not Morey's personal opinion is wrong in the CCP's eyes.

What China has done, by the hysterical reaction to Morey, is etched the Hong Kong protests in the minds of millions of people around the world who otherwise weren't even paying attention. They also serve to legitimize Trump's protectionist stances that otherwise have little support, and would otherwise disappear once he does. Is that the reaction the CCP was seeking?

We have 2 NBA teams in China, along with the Commissioner, on a global stage, with the world watching. Let's hope for a good set of games.

Yep, and now there are instances of fans showing up to NBA games supporting the HK movement in Philadelphia and Washington D.C.....this would have never happened had the CCP never drawn attention to it in the first place. That kind of crap probably works in China, but not in the USA.

And those people are being removed from the stadiums.

Feel free to post loudly when these basketball fans actually change anything, instead of 1 or 2 of them going to a stadium with a sign

here i will agree with them. it does something. it gets the vulture politicians all ready to pounce. there will be more and more political pressure. not that it will change what china does, but it makes it harder and harder on the companies forced to navigate the minefield. both sides threaten the companies and in the end they end up with less profit while nothing is achieved.

A couple of throwaway remarks by politicians pandering to their base won't change American business behaviour in China. If America wants to do something about it they'll have to actually DO something about it. If all the politicians want to do is shame the companies, well ... they'll cop the shame and keep on raking in the money.

Did you know Apple has pulled the Taiwan flag emoji from their IPhones in Hong Kong? Oh no Apple what are you doing ...
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we have learned to live with it. belt and road does not affect us, but it explains why things are the way they are.

Fair statement, your take and your choice. Let's hope for a good game, no injuries, and a Laker win.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Unless the US stops trading with China, then there is no reason to leave the responsibility on the NBA or expect any businesses to stand with HK. Do we feel that morally superior? That our constitution is the creme de la creme and every other country should be like us? Have our political system, our way of life and thinking? This all sounds familiar in history.

Funny to me Trump poked fun of Kerr and Pop because it starts at the top. If we really want to stand with HK, then America and Trump has to come out and say it, so that all hell can really break loose. But that's not the case, is it? Our government dances around these issues when they deal with China because it's complicated and delicate. Yet we expect the NBA to put the smack down on China and stand with HK? This whole thing makes no sense.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Funny to me Trump poked fun of Kerr and Pop because it starts at the top. If we really want to stand with HK, then America and Trump has to come out and say it, so that all hell can really break loose. But that's not the case, is it? Our government dances around these issues when they deal with China because it's complicated and delicate. Yet we expect the NBA to put the smack down on China and stand with HK? This whole thing makes no sense.

Yep. And Trump himself said

"They need to work out their own situation. The NBA - they know what they're doing"

So Trump is leaving it up to the NBA, the NBA will pander to anyone that has money, the Chinese market has lots of money, the NBA will pander to China. This is what businesses do, do we really expect otherwise?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Unless the US stops trading with China, then there is no reason to leave the responsibility on the NBA or expect any businesses to stand with HK. Do we feel that morally superior? That our constitution is the creme de la creme and every other country should be like us? Have our political system, our way of life and thinking? This all sounds familiar in history.

Nobody's expecting the NBA to put the smackdown on China. Unless leaving and not scheduling games there again for a while is a 'smackdown.'

Chartering a plane back to the US, and playing two games in Vegas sounds like a lot better answer for everyone involved tbh.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Nobody's expecting the NBA to put the smackdown on China. Unless leaving and not scheduling games there again for a while is a 'smackdown.'

Chartering a plane back to the US, and playing two games in Vegas sounds like a lot better answer for everyone involved tbh.

Not to mention if the fans in China don't want to bother to show up to see Lebron and AD team up together to play thats their loss not ours. They would have zero problems selling out a game like that back home.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

NBA is the fake woke league. Stand up and speak what you believe in, unless it causes you material or social loss.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
drae wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
crazylakerfan001 wrote:
So sick of American companies bowing down to a communist nation

And now China is basically trying define our constitution on what counts as freedom of speech and what doesn’t

Also can’t believe there’s people on this forum who are actually ok with being controlled on what to do, what to say, what to read, what to watch, etc.

Businesses tied to China are pretty much beholden to the CCP's whims. Too much to lose in Chinese business. Several posters have pounded on that point repeatedly, making it abundantly, nauseatingly clear for the last day or two, non-stop. Still, those with no specific ties to China could give a crap about whether or not Morey's personal opinion is wrong in the CCP's eyes.

What China has done, by the hysterical reaction to Morey, is etched the Hong Kong protests in the minds of millions of people around the world who otherwise weren't even paying attention. They also serve to legitimize Trump's protectionist stances that otherwise have little support, and would otherwise disappear once he does. Is that the reaction the CCP was seeking?

We have 2 NBA teams in China, along with the Commissioner, on a global stage, with the world watching. Let's hope for a good set of games.

Yep, and now there are instances of fans showing up to NBA games supporting the HK movement in Philadelphia and Washington D.C.....this would have never happened had the CCP never drawn attention to it in the first place. That kind of crap probably works in China, but not in the USA.

And those people are being removed from the stadiums.

Feel free to post loudly when these basketball fans actually change anything, instead of 1 or 2 of them going to a stadium with a sign

here i will agree with them. it does something. it gets the vulture politicians all ready to pounce. there will be more and more political pressure. not that it will change what china does, but it makes it harder and harder on the companies forced to navigate the minefield. both sides threaten the companies and in the end they end up with less profit while nothing is achieved.

A couple of throwaway remarks by politicians pandering to their base won't change American business behaviour in China. If America wants to do something about it they'll have to actually DO something about it. If all the politicians want to do is shame the companies, well ... they'll cop the shame and keep on raking in the money.

Did you know Apple has pulled the Taiwan flag emoji from their IPhones in Hong Kong? Oh no Apple what are you doing ...

i think there is a fast break between the two parties to be tough on china. they want their tv moment to punish someone who cannot hit back - the companies who are not in their district.

there is one thing that is universal - politicians and their tv moments.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we have learned to live with it. belt and road does not affect us, but it explains why things are the way they are.

Fair statement, your take and your choice. Let's hope for a good game, no injuries, and a Laker win.

yeah, lets hope there is a game, no injuries. i would like to see caruso play with the starters some though
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

yeah, lets hope there is a game, no injuries. i would like to see caruso play with the starters some though

Strongly agree on this one.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Sill no word it's been cancelled? I hope they do play....I know I am desperate to watch my Lakers.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Same here.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Think we are playing. Game is 4:30am our time so would have heard something by now
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Sill no word it's been cancelled? I hope they do play....I know I am desperate to watch my Lakers.

crazy, you'd think at least one reporter would have gotten some kind of word by now. If they're still debating whether to play the game which is now... about 7 hours away then screw it. The players are like, "we're staying, we're going, what are we doing?" Somebody is going to pull a hammy.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject:

If someone gets injured I'm going to be so annoyed.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what kind of team building experience this is for this Laker squad? Solid team leadership may just come in handy. From coaches and players.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
If someone gets injured I'm going to be so annoyed.

I'm hopeful they find a way to warm up, shootaround or not.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Stein said game is on
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Stein said game is on

Great for those who want to see the new look Lakers
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

We could reschedule the games for Saudi Arabia.

But then someone might say it wasn't nice that they hacked a journalist to pieces in the Turkish embassy and then Saudi Arabia would be angry and demand an apology.

Bring the Lakers home.
LaLaLakeShow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Every human should have the right to speak freely without fear of torture or imprisonment. Yet the only constitution in the world which protects this freedom is our own. So yeah..in this we have moral high ground.
China’s government is oppressive and vile. How can anyone suggest otherwise?
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Weibo's wobble but they don't fall down... I'm still surprised not one reporter has said anything when there is so much interest.

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
Follow Follow @TheSteinLine
MoreMarc Stein Retweeted Yu Fu
According to the NBA’s official Weibo account — China’s answer to Twitter — Lakers vs. Nets is indeed on course for a tip at 7:30 AM Eastern Time
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Per Rachel Nichols

The Lakers & Nets are going forward as if they’re playing tonight. I’m told the Nets held a shootaround this morning and that the Lakers held a film session. Buses are scheduled to leave the hotel for the arena in a few hours.

https://twitter.com/rachel__nichols/status/1182144136800952321?s=21

Sounds as vague as ever but I have my DVR set ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That would be some pure mess if the they let the teams get to the arena etc and then shut the game down.

Last edited by TDRock on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

If anyone's on the Lakers reddit, there's film footage of people freaking out over Lebron today Even with the Chinese Government cancelling their support, Lebron still draws the crowds

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/dfr17r/lebron_had_the_fans_in_china_wildn_out_witness/

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/dfqsg0/look_at_all_these_chinese_fans_towards_lbj/

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/dfqvf6/chinese_fans_chanting_lbj_last_night_at_a_mall/
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah 6 hours away. Some shut-eye and an early alarm are in order.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 20 of 38
Jump to: