Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Every year it feels like the same story. But this playoffs has to be the biggest disappointment. This should’ve been an easy series.

I never saw this as an easy series. They had two of the three best starters. That will give you more than a decent shot. Now, we spit the bit in Game 5 with 6 outs to go, but it's not like we rolled over them. Short series, this is what can happen. Especially when we get outmanaged every series.

I always thought this series looked tough and I feared the Nationals more than any other NL team. They had a slow start to the season so I think they are better than their record. Also, baseball playoffs are unpredictable.

2017 was the biggest disappointment and it’s not close for me. Win that series and the Dodgers are champs. I was never confident this Dodger team would win the next round AND beat the AL champ.

I was also really disappointed when Greinke had that season with a 19-3 record and a 1.66 era and the Dodgers lost game 5 to the Mets. He didn’t pitch poorly at all but it’s so disappointing losing a final game after he had a season like that. And I wasn’t as used to the playoff disappointments back then.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Anyone calculate Kershaw's post season ERA?

It was 4.33 across 158 IP before tonight. He gave up 2 more runs and got one out, so that's now 78 ER allowed over 158.1 IP. If my math is correct, that equates to...a 4.43 ERA.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Every year it feels like the same story. But this playoffs has to be the biggest disappointment. This should’ve been an easy series.

I never saw this as an easy series. They had two of the three best starters. That will give you more than a decent shot. Now, we spit the bit in Game 5 with 6 outs to go, but it's not like we rolled over them. Short series, this is what can happen. Especially when we get outmanaged every series.

I always thought this series looked tough and I feared the Nationals more than any other NL team. They had a slow start to the season so I think they are better than their record. Also, baseball playoffs are unpredictable.

2017 was the biggest disappointment and it’s not close for me. Win that series and the Dodgers are champs. I was never confident this Dodger team would win the next round AND beat the AL champ.

I was also really disappointed when Greinke had that season with a 19-3 record and a 1.66 era and the Dodgers lost game 5 to the Mets. He didn’t pitch poorly at all but it’s so disappointing losing a final game after he had a season like that. And I wasn’t as used to the playoff disappointments back then.

Yeah, I think Greinke gave up 2 runs over 6 or 7 innings in that Game 5. Just so happens that we couldn't hit deGrom, who was literally perfect through 5 innings in that game.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

The lakers haven’t hurt me since the year Kobe went down w the Achilles. They’ve been so bad for so many years I don’t even care when they lose anymore.

The Dodgers? My goodness the dodgers are like an ex girlfriend that dumped you and she keeps coming over only to borrow stuff from your house for her new boyfriend. It’s been so brutal. We have really suffered as Dodger fans. To me it’s first or last ..to come so close to first and have all this talent and lose is just devastating.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Gerrit Cole please front office. You letting Ryu walk and Hill is done

Cole
Beuhler
Kershaw
May
Gonselin or someone

Kershaw should be 5th or 6th in the rotation
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Anyone calculate Kershaw's post season ERA?

It was 4.33 across 158 IP before tonight. He gave up 2 more runs and got one out, so that's now 78 ER allowed over 158.1 IP. If my math is correct, that equates to...a 4.43 ERA.

Thx ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

Steve007 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yep, win 2017 and I probably wouldn't care if the Dodgers don't make the playoffs the next couple of years.....that year they had everything going right and they just didn't make the right moves at the trade deadline.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

AD23 wrote:
Gerrit Cole please front office. You letting Ryu walk and Hill is done

Cole
Beuhler
Kershaw
May
Gonselin or someone

If we did sign Cole, my hope would be that Urias (who should start for much of next season, though they may hold him back at the start of the year to still keep his innings somewhat down) could be the Game 3 starter. His stuff is better than Kershaw's and they need to have Kersh pitch in as low-leverage of a spot as possible going forward. And if May ends up in the rotation late in the year and if he's mowing down people, I'm not starting Kershaw at all.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

What's more shocking: Dave Roberts still having a job or Donald Trump still having a job?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
What's more shocking: Dave Roberts still having a job or Donald Trump still having a job?

Only reason Roberts still has a job is he kisses friedman's ass and the only reason Trump has a job is every gop member kisses his ass.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

Crazy to think Ryu has a better post season ERA than Kershaw or Greinke. Better win-loss % too.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

methdxman wrote:

Yes.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Hey someone asked Roberts "Why use Kershaw when his post season analytics are bad"

Roberts said he couldn't answer that question
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Even beyond finding a better manager or improving the roster, I wonder about the collective psyche of this team.

Like the 90s Bills, the 2002 Sacramento Kings, the 60s Lakers, etc., when you keep choking in the playoffs or world championship of any sport, eventually it becomes your identity. When you get back into a situation like that, it's almost like you subconsciously expect to lose or are just waiting for something bad to happen.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Hey someone asked Roberts "Why use Kershaw when his post season analytics are bad"

Roberts said he couldn't answer that question

Roberts couldn't tell his ass from his elbow.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

I wouldn't blame guys that want to leave us in free agency....its starting to resemble a horror movie where you know how its all going to end.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I respect Buehler more after every postseason (only 2 so far but still). He pitched 12.2 innings in the series and gave up only 1 run. It was an MVP performance from him. I have a higher opinion of Pederson, Muncy, and Maeda too.

Pederson has his flaws but I never thought of him as a postseason underachiever and he is able to perform up to his abilities in the playoffs. Wish I could say that about some of the other players on the team.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Roberts with his idiotic decisions is the MLB equivalent of George Mcclellan or Fighting Joe Hooker.

No matter how much talent/manpower at their disposal, failure is the end result because of their horrible strategy.

Last edited by babyskyhook on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Maybe this should belong on the sure-to-be coming 2020 Dodgers thread, but here you go, 7 quick thoughts in the immediate aftermath of this latest Dodger implosion in the postseason:

1) Roberts has to go. The examples of his blunders are plentiful. This should be a simple call, but they'll probably extend him again, for all I know.

2) Seager should be traded. His approach at the plate is awful and he's a bad defender. And it wasn't because he wasn't healthy. He was. You saw in September that he hit well. But against great pitching, he's a liability because of his approach. He needs to hit mistakes, and great pitchers have the book on him: don't throw him strikes. There's a reason that Vlad Guerrero wasn't close to the same hitter in the postseason, and Seager doesn't even have that kind of high-end talent. I'd trade him and move Lux to SS, his natural position. Time for a re-set there, and against lefty starters, if Lux proves to be a platoon type, you still have Kike or Taylor who can slide in there with no problem.

3) Kershaw is a legacy Dodger and I doubt that management moves him, not to mention that I don't think teams are going to be exactly clamoring to acquire him. That said, he should not be used in high-leverage spots ever again. That means a Game 4 postseason start at best, and, obviously, no more bullpen appearances.

4) Break the bank for Gerrit Cole. The Angels need him more, but the Dodgers have deeper pockets. Get he and Buehler at the front of your postseason rotation. Buehler wasn't even perfectly locked in over his 2 starts in this series with some spotty command, and yet he spun 12.2 innings of 1-run ball because stuff plays in the postseason. Get Cole, throw he and Buehler 1-2 in the postseason, and maybe Urias emerges as the #3 starter. Heck, maybe even Dustin May. But we need at least one more "ace."

5) Let Ryu walk. You saw him break down after a certain innings level this season, and he just doesn't seem built to pitch 150+ innings for multiple years in a row. If you are signing Cole, can't also keep Ryu for a ton of money. Hill's expiring contract will also clear a lot of money, though I honestly wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1-year deal for relatively low money and incentives.

6) Trade Jansen. Look, if he's not going to be used in a tied elimination game in either the 9th OR 10th innings to start the inning, that tells you all you need to know. He will probably want a trade, honestly, at this point. Just pay down some of his salary, find a taker, and move on. Doesn't matter what the return is. Just do it.

7) Need to figure out who is going to get big outs in the bullpen in the postseason. Can't count on Joe Kelly, though hopefully he's healthy at the end of the year next year, which he wasn't coming into this postseason. Urias should be back in the rotation. Maeda will likely be an option to go in the bullpen again, but I don't think he's a realistic closer option because lefties hit him so well. Maybe a Seager trade could help to answer some of that.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Roberts signed a 4 year contract extension last year. He just completed 1 season already. I hope the Dodgers aren't dumb enough to let him finish out the contract.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Blame pie:
1. AJ
2. Corey
3. Dave Roberts
4. Kershaw
5. Joe
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I respect Buehler more after every postseason (only 2 so far but still). He pitched 12.2 innings in the series and gave up only 1 run. It was an MVP performance from him. I have a higher opinion of Pederson, Muncy, and Maeda too.

Pederson has his flaws but I never thought of him as a postseason underachiever and he is able to perform up to his abilities in the playoffs. Wish I could say that about some of the other players on the team.

He's shown to be a reliable pitcher in the postseason. Its usually when he gets taken out that all hell breaks loose.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

I vowed I would not follow the Dodgers this year if Roberts was still the manager. I don't think I posted in this thread once all season even though I did keep tabs on the team and still watched plenty of games. I almost came close to believing again, but every single time they showed Roberts the nightmares of yesteryear came flooding back. This is what the result will be as long as that guy is the manager.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Didn't think of this but Bryce Harper leaves the Nationals and they finally advance in the playoffs....
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Maybe this should belong on the sure-to-be coming 2020 Dodgers thread, but here you go, 7 quick thoughts in the immediate aftermath of this latest Dodger implosion in the postseason:

1) Roberts has to go. The examples of his blunders are plentiful. This should be a simple call, but they'll probably extend him again, for all I know.

2) Seager should be traded. His approach at the plate is awful and he's a bad defender. And it wasn't because he wasn't healthy. He was. You saw in September that he hit well. But against great pitching, he's a liability because of his approach. He needs to hit mistakes, and great pitchers have the book on him: don't throw him strikes. There's a reason that Vlad Guerrero wasn't close to the same hitter in the postseason, and Seager doesn't even have that kind of high-end talent. I'd trade him and move Lux to SS, his natural position. Time for a re-set there, and against lefty starters, if Lux proves to be a platoon type, you still have Kike or Taylor who can slide in there with no problem.

3) Kershaw is a legacy Dodger and I doubt that management moves him, not to mention that I don't think teams are going to be exactly clamoring to acquire him. That said, he should not be used in high-leverage spots ever again. That means a Game 4 postseason start at best, and, obviously, no more bullpen appearances.

4) Break the bank for Gerrit Cole. The Angels need him more, but the Dodgers have deeper pockets. Get he and Buehler at the front of your postseason rotation. Buehler wasn't even perfectly locked in over his 2 starts in this series with some spotty command, and yet he spun 12.2 innings of 1-run ball because stuff plays in the postseason. Get Cole, throw he and Buehler 1-2 in the postseason, and maybe Urias emerges as the #3 starter. Heck, maybe even Dustin May. But we need at least one more "ace."

5) Let Ryu walk. You saw him break down after a certain innings level this season, and he just doesn't seem built to pitch 150+ innings for multiple years in a row. If you are signing Cole, can't also keep Ryu for a ton of money. Hill's expiring contract will also clear a lot of money, though I honestly wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 1-year deal for relatively low money and incentives.

6) Trade Jansen. Look, if he's not going to be used in a tied elimination game in either the 9th OR 10th innings to start the inning, that tells you all you need to know. He will probably want a trade, honestly, at this point. Just pay down some of his salary, find a taker, and move on. Doesn't matter what the return is. Just do it.

7) Need to figure out who is going to get big outs in the bullpen in the postseason. Can't count on Joe Kelly, though hopefully he's healthy at the end of the year next year, which he wasn't coming into this postseason. Urias should be back in the rotation. Maeda will likely be an option to go in the bullpen again, but I don't think he's a realistic closer option because lefties hit him so well. Maybe a Seager trade could help to answer some of that.

Seager is the dismaying one for me (everything else is a no brainer). He had such a bright future at one point. I'd hate to discard him for possibly one bad season when he's still cost controlled. Is Lux a better option at short? I actually was impressed with his range at second.

I'd also bring Kike back.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 197 of 248
Jump to: