survey finds that 1/3 USC female undergrads were sexually assaulted

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: survey finds that 1/3 USC female undergrads were sexually assaulted

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-15/sexual-assault-survey-aau-westat-usc
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Fight On!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Find these studies very suspect.

They ask questions all across the spectrum, and then group them under the worst case scenario.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

They ask questions all across the spectrum, and then group them under the worst case scenario.

Example?
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

If this were true the school would have been sued into bankruptcy and lose its accreditation a long time ago
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

and there is self-selection in these studies where the ones that answer have an axe to grind.
like ad23 said, no way or the school would be bankrupt from litigation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: survey finds that 1/3 USC female undergrads were sexually assaulted

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-15/sexual-assault-survey-aau-westat-usc

After speaking to a number of women I have had close relationships - familial, friendly and romantic - I think that statistic, whether actually 1/3 or not - corresponds more or less to any university.

I have no reason to think such activity is more endemic of USC than any other school.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
If this were true the school would have been sued into bankruptcy and lose its accreditation a long time ago

Why do you say that? Most women dont come forward after being assaulted. Those who do have a tough time proving it and are called into doubt. I think you'd be surprised by the number of women who've experienced sexual assault in the general public. A college campus would be even greater considering the drinking, hormones and frat culture.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Why do you say that? Most women dont come forward after being assaulted. Those who do have a tough time proving it and are called into doubt. I think you'd be surprised by the number of women who've experienced sexual assault in the general public. A college campus would be even greater considering the drinking, hormones and frat culture.

Some don’t even realize they are victims of sexual assault.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Some don’t even realize they are victims of sexual assault.

One of the most unsettling things I have experienced talking to some of the women I have been close to in my life is that very thing. It's shocking how society has traditionally convinced women that assault in so many forms is just something they have to put up with.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

knowing this.. why would anyone send their daughter there??
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
knowing this.. why would anyone send their daughter there??

so she can say she played on the waterpolo team without needing to know how to swim
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why this thread should stay open if the point is to make light of sexual assault in order to get personal digs in at a rival school . . . And this is coming from someone who has had an ingrained contempt for SC since early elementary school.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject:

I don't believe it, and i don't believe it because i know the exact statistical nonsense they are using.

They are beginning with the interpretation that if a woman is inebriated, they are unable to consent.

The logic then follows that since they are unable to consent, therefore any sexual contact while inebriated is by definition non consential sexual contact, which they then classify as sexual assault.

A lot of people aren't going to take a number that high seriously to begin with (it means women are sexually assaulted more often on this US university campus than in places where they rape women as a genocide tactic), absurd numbers will do that, but the logic trap used to create it is blatant to anyone who understands the nature of it.

If they could actually be reasonable in the stat gathering, there might be some consensus to address the issue, if the issue actually exists at all, although when statistics are being done to be deliberately misleading, it's most often because the real ones aren't there.

e.g. when two people are inebriated and they have sex, most people don't consider that sexual assault, yet that's what they're doing here, we're talking about young adults getting drunk.

Whereas the (bleep) who will get women drunk just to have sex with them, very few people wouldn't accept that being considered sexual assault.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
I don't believe it, and i don't believe it because i know the exact statistical nonsense they are using.

They are beginning with the interpretation that if a woman is inebriated, they are unable to consent.

The logic then follows that since they are unable to consent, therefore any sexual contact while inebriated is by definition non consential sexual contact, which they then classify as sexual assault.

It's impossible to say how many of the cases fall into that category, but yes, this jumped out at me when I saw the numbers. I've seen this in other surveys, too. The result is that a lot of different types of behavior gets lumped together.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Telleris wrote:

It's impossible to say how many of the cases fall into that category, but yes, this jumped out at me when I saw the numbers. I've seen this in other surveys, too. The result is that a lot of different types of behavior gets lumped together.

While that may be true, if a woman has had her breasts grabbed at a party or a woman has been drugged at a bar and later raped, they both should fall under the category of "sexual assault".
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

This probably belongs in the non PC thread, but it is something I strongly believe....and I say this as the father of a daughter that is about to leave for college. Even better for me, god decided to make my daughter in the image of those old MTV Spring Break promo females! The point I am making is this issue is at the front of my mind, and terrifies me daily as the day gets closer to her not being pretty much under my 24 hour protection. All that said, as a society we went too far in removing all responsibility of young women and indoctrinating a victim mentality into them in regards to these issues. Me and my daughters mother have tried to push back against this and tried very hard to ensure my daughter understands she is always responsible for herself.

Do not get it twisted, I am not talking about situations of brutal rape or criminally drugging a young woman (or man). I am talking about the vast majority of these claims which involve intoxication and questions about consent. Young females must be reminded that they are responsible for themselves and the positions they put themselves into. It does not remove responsibility of the male even a little bit for their actions, but the female cannot put herself in extremely vulnerable situations then avoid all responsibility.

For example, we should be able to walk down any street in America without fear of physical harm. That said, if a white guy walk down a dark street at 2AM in a minority community known for significant drugs and violence wearing a MAGA hat, we will not excuse someone for physically harming the white man, but we also can recognize the responsibility of white male placing themselves in an extremely poor position that resulted in their personal injury.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: