Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Can we just chill. The season will be what it is. We will finish top 4-5, but nothing will matter until 9 months from now.. Until then, why scrutinize everything? Who knows if we have a good enough roster.. who knows if The Rockets do.. who knows if The Nuggets with no 2nd star do... Every team's season will have ups and downs.. no need to go lose all hope over them.. I don't see perfect teams..

The Nuggets better hope they have a second star,.. they just invested 30+a year in Murray. They’re about to be severely disappointed
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

After watching the last few coaches we had on this team. It very refreshing to watch this team offensively and defensively execute so far. The improvement from previous years coach Vogel and the staff have done in the amount of time they had with this team is a great site to see . Very promising to see how far they can take the team as the season move forward. Good luck Coach Vogel and staff
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
After watching the last few coaches we had on this team. It very refreshing to watch this team offensively and defensively execute so far. The improvement from previous years coach Vogel and the staff have done in the amount of time they had with this team is a great site to see . Very promising to see how far they can take the team as the season move forward. Good luck Coach Vogel and staff

I was watching them set pin downs on both sides of the court at the same time. And I was just mesmerized.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Vogel is the real deal. I can definitely see the Lakers winning a championship with him as the coach.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Vogel has inserted a hard-nosed defensive approach that the players are picking up on.
The vets are clicking because they know what it takes. .... "No DEFENSE, no Championship" period!
If we can maintain that defensive mentality and intensity it will lead to more wins &
it'll be quite a refreshing contrast to the past few stagnant seasons when we didn't practice what we preached defensively. I like what I see so far.

GO LAKERS!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Vogel has inserted a hard-nosed defensive approach that the players are picking up on.
The vets are clicking because they know what it takes. .... "No DEFENSE, no Championship" period!
If we can maintain that defensive mentality and intensity it will lead to more wins &
it'll be quite a refreshing contrast to the past few stagnant seasons when we didn't practice what we preached defensively. I like what I see so far.

GO LAKERS!!

Also seems like the players really respect him.. not sure LeBron, Rondo, McGee, etc had much of that for Luke.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

GO LAKERS!!

Also seems like the players really respect him.. not sure LeBron, Rondo, McGee, etc had much of that for Luke.

Rondo and Luke had a fantastic relationship. Not sure how you could've missed that.

Also, I don't think it's fair to lump Luke in with Lakers coaches of the past (namely MDA and Byron) when it comes to 'not practicing what they preach' about the importance of defense. The Lakers opened training camp focused squarely on defense under Luke. Every year. They were bad the first year, but once Brian Keefe became a bench coach and took on the role of defensive coordinator, they became one of the top defenses in the league. The only thing that derailed them was injuries.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject:

I wonder if some of it is his new jersey working man's accent. Plus, from the huddles I've heard, he preaches like Gene Hackman in Hoosiers. He's like everyone's favorite high school basketball coach. Guys respond to childhood throwbacks like that... who knows!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Vogel is the real deal. I can definitely see the Lakers winning a championship with him as the coach.

I sure hope you are right, it would be tremendous.

We need the defense, and we need guards who can shoot. If that happens, then we have a good shot at a ring.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
I wonder if some of it is his new jersey working man's accent. Plus, from the huddles I've heard, he preaches like Gene Hackman in Hoosiers. He's like everyone's favorite high school basketball coach. Guys respond to childhood throwbacks like that... who knows!

Funny that you mention that because when he was in college he literally used to sleep to Hoosiers every night lol.

Quote:
As Mills recalled, Vogel’s job with video included splicing together a 15- to 30-minute tape on an upcoming opponent’s offense, another 15 to 30 minutes on the defense and five or six minutes on a particularly dangerous individual opponent’s favorite moves.

“Mills remembered Vogel put together a legendary’ 45-minute tape on Tennessee star Allan Houston.

“Vogel slept only a few hours each night, Mills said. He usually fell asleep with the movie ‘Hoosiers’ playing in the VCR. He also compiled a book of quotes for when he or anyone needed inspiration.

"...It was inspiring to be around him," Mills said.

https://www.talkbasket.net/46484-timing-was-perfect-frank-vogel-found-the-right-mentor-at-the-right-time
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

A very good article about Frank Vogel. Well written, Well digged information and very surprising tidbits. A very encouraging, confort reading.

Frank Vogel's basketball journey prepared him for everything that comes with coaching LeBron James, Lakers
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Why is Doc getting so much credit for his accomplishment and Vogel gets killed.

05-06 record 33-49
06-07 record 24-58 Ray, Pierce, Jefferson, Rondo
07-08 record 66-16 (Champion) with the big 3
08-09 record 62-20 (Lost in East Semi) big 3
09-10 record 50-32 (Lost Championship) big 3
10-11 record 56-26 (Lost Semi) big 3
11-12 record 39-27 (Lost East Finals) big 3
12-13 record 41-40 (Lost 1st round) KG, Pierce, Rondo
13-14 record 57-25 (Lost Semi) Lob city
14-15 record 56-26 (Lost Semi) Lob city
15-16 record 53-29 (Lost 1st round) Lob city
16-17 record 51-31 (Lost 1st round) Lob city
17-18 record 42-40 Blake, Lou, Harris, Gallinari, Jordan
18-19 record 48-34 Lou, Harris, Gallinari

just looking at his record the last 13 years, only last year will I consider a very good coaching year. All the other successful years is based on a very solid big three combo. I wonder why they give him so much creadit, but Vogel is getting killed for having bad years in a young orlando team without any stars.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

See what a "real" coach could do with Lebron on his team? Luke was and is still an assistant coach. He's not ready to be HC yet. Maybe Lue turning down our offer was another blessing? All things happen in our favor for a new dynasty to be born.

I'm ready to crown Rob as executive of the year.

(speaking of Rob, I can't even find a thread for him...lol)
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Still not sure why Alex isn't playing the first half, but so far so good on the defense the last 2 games. I wanna say the Lakers win game 1 with Alex not hurt for game 1. No bias
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Good adjustments by Vogel. I like our defensive plan so far. The guy knows what he is doing. Anbd LBJ is following so far. That is the most important.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully Jkidd's sabotage only lasted game 1.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm coming around....he's putting our players into positions to succeed.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Vogel has already made more adjustments 3 games in than Luke and maybe any Lakers coach since Phil. Took for the 2nd half of the Jazz game to play AD at the 5 much more due to spacing issues, got rid of the 1990s primary post-up centered offense, now playing Caruso finally, way more pick n rolls on offense, etc. Just going to be interested what he does with Rondo, KCP, and Cooks' minutes if Caruso continues to shine on both ends like he has the last 2 games. The politics part of the team is going to be the toughest part this year to navigate imo because so far on the court Vogel knows what modern basketball is and his hard nosed smash mouth defensive style fits with Bron & AD's offensive gifts to go along with their defense.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject:

"I'd rather have Walton".....said No One.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Imo Vogel is doing a stellar job with rotations. Specifically like how he has been staggering AD/Lebron and he has also shown a recent pattern of interchanging Caruso and AB. Get done with pest AB for 5 min, here comes Caruso.

Luke used to drive me nuts with his rotations. Vogel has been excellent at mixing and matching. It looks like competent groupings tbh.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

Looks like Vogel understands how to rotate lineups.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

How long its been to have a competent coach, the dark years have taken a toll.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

It's so nice to not have to waste timeouts on "teaching" moments.
And actually just call them on momentum instances.
And now we have players who can actually adjust after said timeout.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Vogel specializes in defense and this Lakers team is playing that smashmouth defense and can flip the switch to put the clamps down on opposing offenses on the perimeter & in the paint. Lakers through 4 games are only giving up 18.5 points in the 3rd quarter. The Lakers ceiling this year depends on how good their defense will be and they look like they can be an elite defense. Lakers are playing at the slowest pace, but aren't allowing teams to run in transition, which Danny Green is elite at preventing. The first game against the Clippers showed some flaws of Vogel, but can just chalk that up to it being the first game of the year and still figure out rotations and who to play.

Last edited by JPaulK0n on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 78 of 224
Jump to: