Have the Lakers' official height measurements been released yet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Have the Lakers' official height measurements been released yet?

All this intrigue with NBA players' real heights has me wondering about how tall some of our players are.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to this as well

I saw somewhere they had Dwight at 6’9.5”

I’m thinking LBJ is true to height or 6’7.5” and AD is legit 6’10.5”
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Looking forward to this as well

I saw somewhere they had Dwight at 6’9.5”

I’m thinking LBJ is true to height or 6’7.5” and AD is legit 6’10.5”

AD was measured on live tv. Im pretty sure you can youtube it

PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

he's 6'11 in shoes. probably 6'9.5 or so barefoot.

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm 6'3 in my prince platforms if anyone is interested
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject:

https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2019/07/15/dwight-howard-anthony-davis-lakers-advice.jpg?itok=uc4a6OV3
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
https://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/styles/marquee_large_2x/public/2019/07/15/dwight-howard-anthony-davis-lakers-advice.jpg?itok=uc4a6OV3

This picture pretty much confirms that Davis is about 6'9. Dwight confirmed himself that hes 6'9 a few weeks ago.

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Boogie looking kinda short in these pics: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/61/b7/80/61b780e28e94accbfbc84dc15b0692f8--demarcus-cousins-anthony-davis.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/anthony-davisdemarcus-cousins-lamarcus-aldridgedirk-nowitzkimarc-tim-picture-id463527098
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Think Boogie is listed as 6’10”
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject:

i dont think dwight is 6'9.
i think lebron is at least 6'8...if you ve seen him in person he does not seem small. kobe seems smaller than one would think, and even he is at least 6'5 if not legit 6'7.

and i don't think shoes add more than 1" to height.

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/2010/9/22/104352625-430x296.jpg
there's brook lopez, who does appear to be legit 7'
dwight looks around 6'10.

who knows? is it significant? kind of. i think those last few inches of the upper extremes of human height give a great advantage to the players. and the more athletic you are like dwight, the more important it is. but what might be even more important is wingspan. who cares about the additional height above the neck? it's all about reach in the nba. so if your head height is shorter by an inch or two, but your reach height is more by more than 2", then that is better than simply being taller.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Every inch gives you a like an inch and a half standing reach.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

your skull size means nothing in basketball. especially compared to arm length. you can be a genetic deformed dude like ghoerghe or yao ming with a huge head and get a couple of inches. meaningless. someone else who has a small head and longer arms is 100% more beneficial. the advantage of the height is being closer to the rim, which means arms extended. the head doesnt do anything.

also to your specific point...not true. having a big head doesnt mean you have longer arms. some people just have big heads. especially freaky genetics 7footers.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3w8hqrAruk/?igshid=14p2b6utzfxc3

AD same height as Dwight 6’9 3/4” and LBJ is 6’8.5”
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Honestly, who cares? This isn't a video game.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Only those who are into numbers. Most of the numbers in all sports are inflated. Who cares? I don't. AD is longer than Dwight and plays a totally different game. Barkley was 6'4" but played much taller same as Elton Brand because he had a huge wingspan. The bottom-line is can you play the game? Rodman was a rebounding machine and he is only 6'8" or so just like Draymond Green.

Basketball like all sports is about ability, heart, and desire. The players who have all three will do well no matter what their measurements are.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

KIROE should be here with all the info soon enough. He’s obsessed with measurables.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

your skull size means nothing in basketball. especially compared to arm length. you can be a genetic deformed dude like ghoerghe or yao ming with a huge head and get a couple of inches. meaningless. someone else who has a small head and longer arms is 100% more beneficial. the advantage of the height is being closer to the rim, which means arms extended. the head doesnt do anything.

also to your specific point...not true. having a big head doesnt mean you have longer arms. some people just have big heads. especially freaky genetics 7footers.

Absolutely longer arms as In wingspan matters a lot. Phil Jackson used to say length causes problems because a shot you think is open isn’t because of the guys length or you play good defense but the guy shots over you

You might of seen this a few times on Wed where Draymond Green had a Few open shots only to be blocked or contested by Anthony Davis.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I saw that Klay got downgraded to 6'5". Makes sense after looking at this pic.
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/anthony-davisdemarcus-cousins-lamarcus-aldridgedirk-nowitzkimarc-tim-picture-id463527098

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3w8hqrAruk/?igshid=14p2b6utzfxc3

AD same height as Dwight 6’9 3/4” and LBJ is 6’8.5”

something seems off to me about this. lebron seems right....but with ad and dwight it feels like they are trying their damnest to get the height under 6'10 for some reason. i suspect there is something technical that is being politicked there. but it could be right i suppose....but i do feel something is going on here.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject:

ah...could be something like this...
Quote:
Others such as the retired trio of 6-foot-11 stars Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan and Bill Walton — as well as the Nets’ 6-foot-9 Durant — have insisted on being listed as shorter than they really are to avoid being pigeonholed as a 7-foot power player.

actually nice article overall...
Quote:
“I keep telling him to stop standing by me, man,” Cousins said to a reporter for SNY.tv. “I think people are starting to figure out, I might be about 6-7. He’s every bit of 7 feet, every bit.”

Durant explained the situation to The Wall Street Journal, saying: “For me, when I’m talking to women, I’m 7 feet. In basketball circles, I’m 6-9. But really, I’ve always thought it was cool to say I’m a 6-9 small forward. Really, that’s the prototypical size for a small forward. Anything taller than that and they’ll start saying, ‘Ah, he’s a power forward.’ ”

Quote:
Kent Wipf, Minnesota’s former longtime public relations director, posted on Twitter on Thursday that Garnett was “well over” 7 feet tall “but never wanted to be listed above 6-11” because “they would want to make him play center.”

“I always wanted to list him at 6-13 but I was not allowed,” Wipf wrote.

Quote:
KG was well over 7-0 tall but never wanted to be listed above 6-11. He said if he was over 7 ft, they would want to make him play center. I always wanted to list him at 6-13 but I was not allowed.

Quote:
In another recent measure adopted in the name of transparency — but which has also been interpreted as a concession to gamblers

something a lot of people dont realize about the nba
axs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Imagine being negative for no damn reason.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject:

I'll be curious to see those measurements. It's just curiosity for me....
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject:

Saw an IG story from Draymond measuring himself at 6'6" barefoot. Seemed like he was annoyed at people on social media saying he was lying about his height lol.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject:

axs wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

All, come on, we at least owe the question a response. Who cares the poster asked? Actually many of us do. We've all wanted to be as tall as the average NBA player so we kinda live vicariously through them. I met Byron Scott at my job years ago. He's 6'4 or so, but whatever height he was, he was f'n tall to me. (I'm 5'11 at best)

We also revel, almost glory in having the tallest skilled players. Its a badge of honor, and ensures that we can compete with the smallest to the tallest NBA lineups. We absolutely were hoping that AD came in at least at the 6'10 1/2 in barefoot category.

Its ok, we know he's still a baller. So, again, to answer the question who cares? Many of us do for so many reasons related to both life and basketball.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
axs wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

All, come on, we at least owe the question a response. Who cares the poster asked? Actually many of us do. We've all wanted to be as tall as the average NBA player so we kinda live vicariously through them. I met Byron Scott at my job years ago. He's 6'4 or so, but whatever height he was, he was f'n tall to me. (I'm 5'11 at best)

We also revel, almost glory in having the tallest skilled players. Its a badge of honor, and ensures that we can compete with the smallest to the tallest NBA lineups. We absolutely were hoping that AD came in at least at the 6'10 1/2 in barefoot category.

Its ok, we know he's still a baller. So, again, to answer the question who cares? Many of us do for so many reasons related to both life and basketball.

i'll also add, there is a very practical implication to these questions about height. it matters.
assuming many people have not played a lot of competitive basketball...this is something you should be aware of. even 1-2" of height difference can really make a difference in matchups (and i'll throw in arm length is maybe even more of a factor). if two players are equally talented/skilled, and one is 2" taller, that advantage is very significant. if you are 6'2 and you play someone likr 6'4 or 6'5, you will notice that its going to be a rough game for you. every little thing will be harder....when you dribble you will feel very constrained and liable to make errors....when you shoot you will feel rushed and you will get blocked a lot.

and basketball is fundamentally a tall man's sport, there's no way around it. having the tallest people on the team is a big deal. it has taken the nba decades and a lot of irresponsibvle rule changes and officiating to get it to this point where we are calling it small ball. look what is happening...harden is basically traveling on every possession, multiple times per possession even. nonsense things like the "gather" step have become common discussion points recently. people act like the 3pt shooters today are so much better than before, like curry etc., and they dont consider all the massive amounts of screening (illegally often) that it takes to get these shorties to an mvp status. and if you notice, the trend is that in the beginning the stars were centers, then forwards, then guards, etc. as the decades proceed. that is because the nba is trying to expand, which means they need more stars, which means, there are more stars available (human height distribution) as you get closer to 6' which is the place where there are a lot of options. you cant rely on 7 footers because they are so rare and by the time you find enough to fill the league it will be too late (according to their plans of expansion and growth).

so yes it matters.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: