Official QUINN COOK Thread (Lakers Waive Cook...and Resign Him...and Waive him)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cook and Rondo have both been terrible defenders and are mono-positional - it doesn't make sense to give consistent rotation minutes to both, imo, especially if Bradley remains the starter. And Cook's shooting seems more useful on this team, so...

BVH- any thoughts that Cook's D could improve? Probably not since he was on a great team with great coaching. But it seems to me that he has some size and some tools to be a decent guard defender. I am wondering what the issue is?
He is small. Cant really expect much from him on that end. He migh not even be as bad as guys like Kemba Walker, Dlo and Kyrie (who we would of given the max to), Isiah Thomas (who people loved when he was healthy), Damian Lillard (who we would obviously love), etc. My point is there are a lot of below average defensive point guards out there that shoot the lights out that and that have been regarded as star players. Trey Young is another small PG example.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
la4win wrote:
Cook is going to be a crucial piece in this team. We needed someone that can break the defense down and get shot for himself and others beside LeBron and AD. He is going to be the reason we blow out teams on many nights with his spark off the bench. Oh he is also going to hit some dagger threes at the end of games.

Cook’s game isn’t breaking the defense down, he isn’t good at it. He is a shooter and we need to put him in good positions to shoot.
Wasn't he the best catch and shoot player in the NBA last season?
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
la4win wrote:
Cook is going to be a crucial piece in this team. We needed someone that can break the defense down and get shot for himself and others beside LeBron and AD. He is going to be the reason we blow out teams on many nights with his spark off the bench. Oh he is also going to hit some dagger threes at the end of games.

Cook’s game isn’t breaking the defense down, he isn’t good at it. He is a shooter and we need to put him in good positions to shoot.

He is good using screens to get open and he got some speed with his dribble to get open shots. That’s what we need from him.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cook and Rondo have both been terrible defenders and are mono-positional - it doesn't make sense to give consistent rotation minutes to both, imo, especially if Bradley remains the starter. And Cook's shooting seems more useful on this team, so...

BVH- any thoughts that Cook's D could improve? Probably not since he was on a great team with great coaching. But it seems to me that he has some size and some tools to be a decent guard defender. I am wondering what the issue is?
He is small. Cant really expect much from him on that end. He migh not even be as bad as guys like Kemba Walker, Dlo and Kyrie (who we would of given the max to), Isiah Thomas (who people loved when he was healthy), Damian Lillard (who we would obviously love), etc. My point is there are a lot of below average defensive point guards out there that shoot the lights out that and that have been regarded as star players. Trey Young is another small PG example.

Not all poor PG defenders can be lumped in together like this, though - IT has been rock bottom on that end and needed to be elite offensively to make up for it whereas Kemba has had some not bad defensive seasons, Kyrie and Lillard improved on that end last year, and DLo benefits from his size/wingspan as a rebounder and occasional pest in the passing lanes (even as he often spaces out).

All of those guys are better to much, much better passers and all but DLo are superior at attacking the rim so their offensive value offsets their defensive deficiencies moreso than for Cook. But maybe Cook takes a step forward on offense with the Lakers, which seems more realistic than improvement on defense.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Just by standing still he's already better than Rondo on D

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Don't underestimate Cook's play-off experience either. js
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Pure shooter. He looked like Ray Allen out there. This offense needs shooters for floor spacing.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
pio2u wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
what was the reason warriors let him go again?

So the Lakers could pick-up a sharp-shooter with championship experience to help us get to the "NBA Promised land!"

went on a warriors board to check. turns out dlo did us a favor. they had to release him after the trade to keep looney.

Hard capped I think.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

I think he will be a good spark off the bench where he can go against the second unit defense and offense.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Super Mega Team wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
pio2u wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
what was the reason warriors let him go again?

So the Lakers could pick-up a sharp-shooter with championship experience to help us get to the "NBA Promised land!"

went on a warriors board to check. turns out dlo did us a favor. they had to release him after the trade to keep looney.

Hard capped I think.

yes because of the sign and trade according to their board
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Pure shooter. He looked like Ray Allen out there. This offense needs shooters for floor spacing.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Maybe start him.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Maybe start him.

We'd suffer on defense
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Maybe start him.

We'd suffer on defense

That's true. Well in games where Bradley picks up 2 quick fouls. I'd consider bringing him off the bench first.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
drae wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Maybe start him.

We'd suffer on defense

That's true. Well in games where Bradley picks up 2 quick fouls. I'd consider bringing him off the bench first.

He should be the first guard off the bench
Intlakeshow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Bobby Jackson 2.0?
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
drae wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Maybe start him.

We'd suffer on defense

He should be the first guard off the bench

Very impressed by Cook He definitely should be ahead of KCP in the rotation
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

Cook should get a lot of PT vs Clips with Rondo out & Caruso probable. His 3 pt shooting could be the difference in the game tonight.
I expect Daniels to step up tonight too.

GO LAKERS!!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Have no clue why Vogel continues to have him play on the ball. He is a spot up shooter that has no clue how to create for others and doesn't bring much else to the table.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Have no clue why Vogel continues to have him play on the ball. He is a spot up shooter that has no clue how to create for others and doesn't bring much else to the table.

Think it’s been by default. They even mentioned it in the telecast that he really should be off ball. I think he will be solid in a role next to rondo off the bench unit.

He has zero pg skills.

Issue right now is that we have a few guys like him and not enough healthy ball handlers.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject:

He’s out there getting shots up after the game.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

Think it’s been by default. They even mentioned it in the telecast that he really should be off ball. I think he will be solid in a role next to rondo off the bench unit.

He has zero pg skills.

Issue right now is that we have a few guys like him and not enough healthy ball handlers.

Dont think it is by default. He is playing with other better ball handling and still being asked to initiate the offense.

When Kuzma gets back, Cook should see his minutes cut significantly.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

He has zero pg skills.

Dont think it is by default. He is playing with other better ball handling and still being asked to initiate the offense.

Lebron was the only other ball handler on the court. Literally. Caruso is the only other healthy player that can handle the ball and initiate offense.

Agree Kuz is badly needed. He’s the only other guy besides Lebron and Rondo that you can really just give the ball to and get out of the way. He will be pivotable in this offense.

Last edited by Doc JC on Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

He has zero pg skills.

Lebron was the only other ball handler on the court. Literally. Caruso is the only other healthy player that can handle the ball and initiate offense.

Bradley can handle the ball as well. He did it last year for Memphis.

I'd rather have Bradley and Caruso handling over Cook.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Doc JC wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:

He has zero pg skills.

Bradley can handle the ball as well. He did it last year for Memphis.

I'd rather have Bradley and Caruso handling over Cook.

Bradley hasn’t been much better from what I’ve seen so far. Unfortunately I expected more out of him on the ball. Hasn’t shown it yet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17
Jump to: