THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1801, 1802, 1803 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Quote:
"I rarely get emotional, if ever. I guess you'd call me hyper-rational, stoic. Yet as we drove past the rows of white grave markers, in the gravity of the moment, I had a deep sense of the importance of the presidency and a love of our country ... In that moment, I also thought of all the attacks we'd already suffered as a family, and about all the sacrifices we'd have to make to help my father succeed — voluntarily giving up a huge chunk of our business and all international deals to avoid the appearance that we were 'profiting off of the office.'"

From Don Jr's new book. He's talking about Arlington National Cemetery.

I wonder how much he paid his ghost writer.

Since it's a Trump, good chance he hasn't been paid.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Yes don’t think, just vote. That’s a smart way to run a democracy.

The two party system is incredibly flawed as it is, let’s not make it even worse please. Analyze the candidates, figure out who you agree most with and vote. If you don’t think either are fit for the presidency, there is nothing wrong with not voting. And judging by how the Democratic primaries are going, that will unfortunately be the case for the second consecutive election. I hope in my lifetime the two party system will be removed.

If there was no tangible difference between the 2 parties. You'd have a point. But there is clearly a less worse option. And sitting out an election is how you get a President Trump in the first place.

No my point stands whether you see one party as better or not. I know people hate to hear it on here, but many reasonable people believe Hillary is a horrible person like Trump and felt like they had no good choice.

Are implying that you believe Hillary to be a horrible person? If so, why?
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
^^^ In other words ^^^ Trump has reduced regulations to fatten the fat-cats fatter than they are at the expense of the environment, workers, consumers, and the world we leave our children.

You mean we haven't been taking "steps in the right direction?" Who knew?

I acknowledged we stopped making progress in 2018 after looking more into it. Also never intended to defend Trump. Progress must be made albeit less drastic progress than you feel we need IMO.

Will you acknowledge we’re not approaching an apocalypse or are you gonna stick by that?

I will acknowledge we are either approaching an apocalypse, or we are approaching life changing climate events that will result in (eventually severe) death and tragedy.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ribeye wrote:
I have three priorities: climate change, healthcare reform, and infrastructure repair and upgrade--in that order.

I accept the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that we need to keep the global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, and to to reach that goal, it is estimated that CO2 emissions would have to start dropping "well before 2030" and be on a path to fall by about 45 percent by around 2030.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27082019/12-years-climate-change-explained-ipcc-science-solutions

Yea we have some different priorities.

What, in your opinion, are our top 5 or 10 national problems?

I'll make it even easier. How about three?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

Trump threatening to sue whistleblower lawyer for treason on tv

Can a POTUS do this as a POTUS?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ribeye wrote:
I have three priorities: climate change, healthcare reform, and infrastructure repair and upgrade--in that order.

I accept the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that we need to keep the global temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, and to to reach that goal, it is estimated that CO2 emissions would have to start dropping "well before 2030" and be on a path to fall by about 45 percent by around 2030.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/27082019/12-years-climate-change-explained-ipcc-science-solutions

Yea we have some different priorities.

What, in your opinion, are our top 5 or 10 national problems?

I'll make it even easier. How about three?

Abortion
Taxes
Welfare
Regulations
Gay rights
Immigrants
Reverse racism
Women
The media
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

The two party system is incredibly flawed as it is, let’s not make it even worse please. Analyze the candidates, figure out who you agree most with and vote. If you don’t think either are fit for the presidency, there is nothing wrong with not voting. And judging by how the Democratic primaries are going, that will unfortunately be the case for the second consecutive election. I hope in my lifetime the two party system will be removed.

If there was no tangible difference between the 2 parties. You'd have a point. But there is clearly a less worse option. And sitting out an election is how you get a President Trump in the first place.

No my point stands whether you see one party as better or not. I know people hate to hear it on here, but many reasonable people believe Hillary is a horrible person like Trump and felt like they had no good choice.

Her emails
Pizzagate
Vince Foster
Pantsuits
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Her emails
Pizzagate
Vince Foster
Pantsuits

Wha? Not that she, single-handedly, destroyed Libya, and, single-handedly, was responsible for the death or four Americans? Four dead Americans! Four dead Americans!
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
kikanga wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:

Her emails
Pizzagate
Vince Foster
Pantsuits

Wha? Not that she, single-handedly, destroyed Libya, and, single-handedly, was responsible for the death or four Americans? Four dead Americans! Four dead Americans!

Most of the Benghazi attackers are now the Ukraine defenders, strange how that works out.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
but many reasonable people believe Hillary is a horrible person like Trump and felt like they had no good choice.

You said "reasonable". No reasonable person thinks Hilary is on par with Trump when it comes to being a horrible person. No doubt that there are people who have dislike for Hilary, and there is validity to that. But to the statement above is preposterous and doesn't stand up to reasonable, factual observation of their respective behavior.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
^^^ In other words ^^^ Trump has reduced regulations to fatten the fat-cats fatter than they are at the expense of the environment, workers, consumers, and the world we leave our children.

I acknowledged we stopped making progress in 2018 after looking more into it. Also never intended to defend Trump. Progress must be made albeit less drastic progress than you feel we need IMO.

Will you acknowledge we’re not approaching an apocalypse or are you gonna stick by that?

I will acknowledge we are either approaching an apocalypse, or we are approaching life changing climate events that will result in (eventually severe) death and tragedy.

The simple reality is that Climate Change is not an issue that can simply be put on the back-burner (no pun intended) in relation to other issues. There are certainly issues equally as important and need addressing immediately, but none at the expense of a concerted effort to battle the contributing factors to Climate Change.

Climate Change is an exponential event that increases in severity as it progresses. There's no putting it off, because if you do so, you have lost too much ground.

Not to mention that this idea that you can't address Climate Change aggressively and still deal with other issues at the same time doesn't hold up to logic.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

And by the way, Climate Change is not the only environmental issue that needs immediate addressing. The rolling back of protections for our natural lands and wilderness and destruction of the ocean's ecosystem are also priorities that can not be put off until a later date.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject:

The resistance to climate change comes from several fronts:

It’s seen as a “liberal” issue (more than any other factor, you can gauge conservative opinion by the opposite of whatever the liberals are saying or doing, even if that was previously a conservative opinion)

It’s science. Science is now seen as liberal, because liberals believe in it. It’s like facts, really only helpful in that they support a position, not as tools in forming one.

It requires regulation and cost and prohibition. That’s against freedom.

Other countries believe in and are taking actions to combat it. Eff them. We’re ‘Murica. Obtuse nationalism is almost as important as tribal racism.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Any of you old fogies remember Ivan "the Terrible" Demjanjuk. Just watched a Netflix documentary on him the other day. Really interesting stuff. Never heard of him before.

Final episode they brought up Wernher von Braun. Which was really thought provoking. The worst of the worst (Nazis) also contributing positively after the war for America. It's ... unsettling. I think all Nazis should've been imprisoned for life at the minimum. But the contributions von Braun made scientifically to our country are undeniable.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Any of you old fogies remember Ivan "the Terrible" Demjanjuk. Just watched a Netflix documentary on him the other day. Really interesting stuff. Never heard of him before.

Final episode they brought up Wernher von Braun. Which was really thought provoking. The worst of the worst (Nazis) also contributing positively after the war for America. It's ... unsettling. I think all Nazis should've been imprisoned for life at the minimum. But the contributions von Braun made scientifically to our country are undeniable.

If we didn't take him the Russians would have. I believe he was even a favorite on the Disney hour or whatever it was called.

His obsession was Mars, and viewed the trip to the Moon simply as a trial run (the oversized rockets were even designed to reach Mars, IIRC). It was Nixon who killed his dream and decided to go the with the safer Space Shuttle program after we hit our ceiling on the moon. So sad.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:

The simple reality is that Climate Change is not an issue that can simply be put on the back-burner (no pun intended) in relation to other issues. There are certainly issues equally as important and need addressing immediately, but none at the expense of a concerted effort to battle the contributing factors to Climate Change.

Climate Change is an exponential event that increases in severity as it progresses. There's no putting it off, because if you do so, you have lost too much ground.

Not to mention that this idea that you can't address Climate Change aggressively and still deal with other issues at the same time doesn't hold up to logic.

Meanwhile . . . in Italy . . .

Italy Is Making Climate Change Lessons Compulsory In Schools
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:

That’s awful. Six year olds being taught the world is going to end and skipping school to join Activist rallies.They don’t need to be worrying about this at that age. Let kids be kids. Teach them that in High School science classes, not in elementary school.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:

That’s awful. Six year olds being taught the world is going to end and skipping school to join Activist rallies.They don’t need to be worrying about this at that age. Let kids be kids. Teach them that in High School science classes, not in elementary school.

Teaching them it will get worse if nothing is done Before they are stuck with their parents bad habits is something that Must be done

We have One Planet and will be nearing 8 billion Unknowingly Matricidal Homo-Sapiens

Because we live in a society of hypercapitalism and MASSIVE WASTE
We don't realize how horribly irresponsible Americans are
WE are sooo wasteful and ungrateful we pollute the rest of the world
We send our plastics and sewage to southeast Asia and other (bleep) to others

Exponential Destruction

One planet and only one yet we allow Capitalism to make it inhospitable
Slaughtering and removing species forever due to Capitalist Beliefs.

No Earth No Human
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Italy’s education minister, Lorenzo Fioramonti, announced on Tuesday that climate change and sustainability will be a mandatory part of education for students ages 6 to 19. The new law will make Italy the first country in the world to introduce compulsory climate change education at all levels.

Initially, the classes will amount to 33 hours a year ― about an hour a week ― but the aim is also to thread the topic through traditional subjects such as geography and math. The syllabus will center around the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, a collection of 17 goals focused on tackling poverty, inequality and climate change.

Fioramonti is confident there is broad support among Italians for his policy, especially young people. “They are yearning to understand how the knowledge can be applied to foster sustainable development,” he told HuffPost. “And they yearn for scientific education that can give meaning to their lives.”

Yeah . . . sure. Teaching sustainability is really teaching students "that the world is going to end".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ribeye wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Italy’s education minister, Lorenzo Fioramonti, announced on Tuesday that climate change and sustainability will be a mandatory part of education for students ages 6 to 19. The new law will make Italy the first country in the world to introduce compulsory climate change education at all levels.

Initially, the classes will amount to 33 hours a year ― about an hour a week ― but the aim is also to thread the topic through traditional subjects such as geography and math. The syllabus will center around the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, a collection of 17 goals focused on tackling poverty, inequality and climate change.

Fioramonti is confident there is broad support among Italians for his policy, especially young people. “They are yearning to understand how the knowledge can be applied to foster sustainable development,” he told HuffPost. “And they yearn for scientific education that can give meaning to their lives.”

Yeah . . . sure. Teaching sustainability is really teaching students "that the world is going to end".

The same article you posted the education minister said “threatened by environmental devastation.” I have no problem with telling kids to recycle, turn off the lights and other simple stuff like that. But you know that’s not all it’s going to entail. There’s going to be putting fear into them as well. You’re seeing it with the e-cigarette “crisis”. All fear mongering to push an agenda. These poor kids who shouldn’t be worrying about this are being used as political tools.

Why don’t you reply to that part, which is what I’m concerned about, instead of a snarky response? You only need to look at the last page or 2 to see the belief the world is going to end is prevalent and teaching that to kids is just plain wrong in my opinion.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
All fear mongering to push an agenda. These poor kids who shouldn’t be worrying about this are being used as political tools.

Who benefits from the climate change fear agenda?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:

The same article you posted the education minister said “threatened by environmental devastation.” I have no problem with telling kids to recycle, turn off the lights and other simple stuff like that.

So you're good with the minutia and the platitudes of being resourcefully conscious, but you're not good with discussing the clearly evident consequences of not taking those things seriously.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, the evidence indicates it's not as simple as doing that hoping things will be ok.

Quote:
But you know that’s not all it’s going to entail. There’s going to be putting fear into them as well.

I'm baffled by this idea that informing our young people of the consequences of our actions nd we need to make efforts to protect the planet is "putting fear" into them. Especially when they are the ones who have to deal with the mess that their predecessors have left them. I think it is obvious that the least we can do is admit that their ancestors left them a bad bill of goods and educate them with the knowledge to protect themselves.

When I remind my kids to buckle up in the car, I'm not saying, "look guys, I don't mean to scare you, but this car ride thing is a potentially lethal endeavor." I'm simply engaging in a practicality for safety - not fear mongering.

Quote:
You’re seeing it with the e-cigarette “crisis”. All fear mongering to push an agenda.

Protecting our kids from an obvious health issue is "pushing an agenda"?

What are you? The cigarette industry in the 1950's?

Quote:
These poor kids who shouldn’t be worrying about this are being used as political tools.

So our kids, the very people who are more at risk than you and I in regards to their future are turned into "political tools" because they are being encouraged to protect their future and be proactive about it?

That makes no sense. What makes even less sense is that you would advocate against that.

Quote:
Why don’t you reply to that part, which is what I’m concerned about, instead of a snarky response?

I posted the content of the article and highlighted the meaningful parts.

I don't see how that's being "snarky".

Look, I don't mean this as being "snarky", but I have kids. They aren't delicate little beings that need insulation from the realities that face them. In fact, they are very aware of the realities that face them and want to be informed and want to address them.

It reminds me of when I was a kid. I'm a child of the Cold War and we had "duck and cover" drills. I remember thinking how silly we thought it was. We weren't stupid. We knew what was going on in the world. Duck and cover wasn't going to do anything if an actual nuclear war broke out. We weren't traumatized by that knowledge. We were given a reason to grow up and fight nuclear proliferation.

Give kids some credit for being prescient human beings capable of assimilating the fats about the world they have no choice but to grow up in.

Quote:
You only need to look at the last page or 2 to see the belief the world is going to end is prevalent and teaching that to kids is just plain wrong in my opinion.

That's not even remotely that message in that article or here. And it is unfortunate that you think it is. The point is that there are a set of very problematic circumstances that could be catastrophic if neglected, but avoided with the right course of action.

That is an inherently positive message to send the youth of today.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
All fear mongering to push an agenda. These poor kids who shouldn’t be worrying about this are being used as political tools.

#1 concern for millennials=climate change.

Politicians with higher priorities on climate change=millennial votes=power.

Plus my concern with the fact children should not be concerned with adult issues.

I really don’t think I’m saying anything controversial here. It’s not like I’m saying climate change is fake news.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Plus my concern with the fact children should not be concerned with adult issues.

I really don’t think I’m saying anything controversial here.
It’s not like I’m saying climate change is fake news.

Yeah, I guess you'e right. The last thing we should be doing is teaching our kids how to become adults.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

I really don’t think I’m saying anything controversial here. It’s not like I’m saying climate change is fake news.

No, you're not saying that, I just wanted to see what you thought...thank you for answering.

I think that everything taught by schools to children is to prepare them for adulthood which requires concerning them with adult issues.

Also, the alternative to empowering politicians who campaign on climate change, genuinely or not, is to empower politicians who think climate science is a joke. There aren't really any in-between candidates...it's just that binary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1801, 1802, 1803 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1802 of 3663
Jump to: