Ford vs. Ferrari

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Ford vs. Ferrari

I went into this movie with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. While it is not completely historically accurate, and it's long (2hrs 32mins) this is a very thoughtfully told story that has had me thinking about it for days afterwards, usually a sign of a good movie. It tells the story of how Ford Racing took on the seemingly impossible task of taking on the perpetually dominant Ferrari team in the 24 hrs of LeMans race.

Matt Damon plays the Carol Shelby character, and Christian Bale plays the driver Ken Miles. Bale lost 70 pounds in 7 weeks for the role and when Matt Damon asked him how he did it he answered, "I simply didn't eat.". The guy has done this several times over the course of his career.

Lots of multi-dimensional flawed characters in the movie. While the premise may sound a lot like a re-telling of light hearted movies with misfits overcoming impossible odds like Cool Runnings or the Mighty Ducks it is decidedly not that. This is a much more serious movie that feels painfully true to life in many ways. I wish they'd taken another shot at editing this down by another 30 minutes or so, but I really enjoyed it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I really enjoyed it. I devoured car magazines when I was a kid, watched racing on TV whenever it was on and went to as many races at places like the old Riverside International Raceway as frequently as I could. I saw many of the legends in the film at the track and went to Bondurant’s driving school. So I was in from the get go, whatever the film was like.

So, I was extra happy when I saw (and heard) what a stunning film it was. And seeing all my favorite cars from back in the day on the big screen was really cool - even if they were recreations. The racing sequences at night were sublime.Definitely a big screen movie.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Can of tuna fish and an apple a day was all he ate for The Machinist

CrayZ (bleep).

Christian Bale Weight Loss Diet Helps Him To Lose 63 Pounds in Four Months
https://www.inquisitr.com/1608434/christian-bale-weight-loss-diet-helps-him-to-lose-63-pounds-in-four-months/
Quote:
The Christian Bale weight loss diet consisted of an apple and can of tuna fish per day. Occasionally, he used Anne Hathaway’s weight loss strategy of eating just two thin squares of dried oatmeal paste.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject:

BTW, if anyone is interested in the historical story behind Ford/Ferrari, I suggest watching “The 24 Hour War” on Netflix.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject:

???
This
vs
That?
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
???
This
vs
That?

That’s it! It’s the story of how one farmer chooses overcome immense odds and time constraints to farm his field of rutabagas with a Ford, while his neighbor, who has a history of yielding the largest rutabagas in the county farms with a Ferrari. Matt Damon’s innovative soil sampling techniques combined with Christian Bale’s expert tractoring lead to some surprising and harrowing results. I saw it on IMAX, which is the only way to fully grasp the size of these things. Christmas lanttulaatikko will never be the same.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

Christian Bale was great in this role as usual. It's crazy to see him look so frail compared to his Batman and American Psycho days. Dude is committed to his craft.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Hits a lot of clichés, but Mangold makes the racing sequences pop, the production design is aces, and Damon and Bale do strong work. A good Hollywood crowd pleaser that thankfully isn't more franchise IP.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Hits a lot of clichés, but Mangold makes the racing sequences pop, the production design is aces, and Damon and Bale do strong work. A good Hollywood crowd pleaser that thankfully isn't more franchise IP.

Watched a screening of it attended by Josh Lucas (he comes up here every year and is considered an honorary local), and he said they wanted to make a car movie that wasn’t really about cars. Said almost none of the key people are into cars. I think they might have failed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

He also said this is the short version. A 3+ hour directors cut is forthcoming
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Watched a screening of it attended by Josh Lucas (he comes up here every year and is considered an honorary local), and he said they wanted to make a car movie that wasn’t really about cars. Said almost none of the key people are into cars. I think they might have failed.

I'm not a car guy, but every gear change started to get me worked up. And that Ferrari 330 P3 (yes, I looked that up) was pure sex.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I really enjoyed it. I devoured car magazines when I was a kid, watched racing on TV whenever it was on and went to as many races at places like the old Riverside International Raceway as frequently as I could. I saw many of the legends in the film at the track and went to Bondurant’s driving school. So I was in from the get go, whatever the film was like.

So, I was extra happy when I saw (and heard) what a stunning film it was. And seeing all my favorite cars from back in the day on the big screen was really cool - even if they were recreations. The racing sequences at night were sublime.Definitely a big screen movie.

Saw it this weekend on your recommendation. An impromptu meetup with some old S2ki buddies ended up in me watching this movie. Great movie on it's own but a car guy will doubly enjoy it imo. First movie in YEARS that I've seen in a theater.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Ford V. Ferrari was great. Kinda like Rush meets The Right Stuff. Also the guys who plays Henry Ford reminded me of Greg Popovich lol.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
He also said this is the short version. A 3+ hour directors cut is forthcoming

I'd be interesting in seeing that if for one reason. There's an actor that plays one of the Ford Suits who was a semi-regular on a show I edited. It was pretty surprising to see him since he was notoriously bad on our show and found much of his stuff "on the cutting room floor" as they say.

Anyway, he has one completely forgettable line in the movie that I think was actually one or two words. But you can tell from the coverage in the rest of the movie that the character had more to it, but was cut around. So it'd be kind of a kick to see some of what was cut out.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Interesting factoid: the running time is to the minute the maximum allowed in some Eastern European country (Bulgaria iirc). The director’s cut may or may not have that guy in the extra scenes.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Interesting factoid: the running time is to the minute the maximum allowed in some Eastern European country (Bulgaria iirc). The director’s cut may or may not have that guy in the extra scenes.

Quite possibly not. But it'd be interesting to see what of him did make it into the DC, if anything. My guess is that a large chunk of the deleted material dealt with the behind the scenes stuff at Ford. Because if you're cutting time out of that movie, it's going to be that stuff more than it would be Bale, Damon and the driving.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject:

By casting Jon Bernthal, Mangold turned Lee Iacocca into a stealth sex symbol.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

I'm not a car guy, but every gear change started to get me worked up. And that Ferrari 330 P3 (yes, I looked that up) was pure sex.

I want a sequal where the GT40's go back to LeMans the next year with the J Car chassis and Dan Gurney invents the champagne crowd spray and then Ford offloads the program to a private team who then goes and wins the next 2 LeMans races with the SAME EXACT CAR! Pretty exciting stuff. If you liked the P3, the P4 from '67 was even more beautiful if that is possible.

Then I want a pre-quel where Shelby takes the Daytona Coupes to Europe on a shoestring budget and beats the world including Porsche and Ferrari.

I've gotten to see all of these cars in action up at the historic races up in Laguna Seca. I am so glad they are getting their due now. Racing back then was awesome, mostly un-regulated and beautiful. Anyone follow the Can AM series back then? Wow, 8 liter injected big blocks in cars that weighed less than a VW Bug.

Now racing sucks because the rules are omni-present and discourage innovation. But back then a few hotrodders in a shop in Venice Beach could build a car to beat the world.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I want a sequal where the GT40's go back to LeMans the next year with the J Car chassis and Dan Gurney invents the champagne crowd spray and then Ford offloads the program to a private team who then goes and wins the next 2 LeMans races with the SAME EXACT CAR! Pretty exciting stuff. If you liked the P3, the P4 from '67 was even more beautiful if that is possible.

Then I want a pre-quel where Shelby takes the Daytona Coupes to Europe on a shoestring budget and beats the world including Porsche and Ferrari.

I've gotten to see all of these cars in action up at the historic races up in Laguna Seca. I am so glad they are getting their due now. Racing back then was awesome, mostly un-regulated and beautiful. Anyone follow the Can AM series back then? Wow, 8 liter injected big blocks in cars that weighed less than a VW Bug.

Now racing sucks because the rules are omni-present and discourage innovation. But back then a few hotrodders in a shop in Venice Beach could build a car to beat the world.

Yep, and went to watch them race out at the old Riverside International Raceway!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

Nice man, they race them pretty fast in the historics, but I can't imagine seeing them go all out in actual races that mean something!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Nice man, they race them pretty fast in the historics, but I can't imagine seeing them go all out in actual races that mean something!

We used to go stand about 3/4ths of the way down the main straightaway to watch as the faster cars passed as they approached the dogleg at 200+mph it was pretty crazy. That's actually where Ken Miles had his fatal crash.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: