2019: was it a good or bad year for you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: 2019: was it a good or bad year for you?

mine was so so

got my first filling due to a fracture in my molar. bad

got rear ended 2x. once by someone with mercury insurance, and last week by someone with no insurance...on the 405. in the rain. my trunk won't open. bad

I won my first 5.5 singles tennis tournament and $2500. good

my mom is being bullied and harassed by her new stepdaughter over my stepdad's estate. bad

i flipped a foreclosure into a rental property that pays its own property taxes and nets me $820/mo. excited to raise the rent next month. good

the lakers are doing great but with a bunch of players coaches and execs i have zero emotional attachment to. bad

i think the guy who has been putting up my christmas lights for the last 3 years might be shafting me because he's racist. bad

go

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Definitely better than 2018 financially but nothing to get too excited about yet. I say yet because I started importing fabric to sell online and it appears to be taking off pretty well.

Also got to meet an ecomm "guru" that is showing me the ropes on marketing my internet business and it is helping a lot. Most importantly I am learning a lot. 2020 is going to be the breakout year.

In terms of sports teams: Rams lost, Lakers didn't even make the playoffs, and Dodgers didn't make the WS so it sucked in that department.

I am hoping for Rams, Lakers, and Dodgers parades in 2020.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Started out rocky. I was laid off at the end of March with a fat tax bill to pay. The silver lining was that I had a solid employment contract and didn't have to fight for them to pay me out. After paying my taxes, I had some financial breathing room and time to choose what I wanted to do next.

While trying to line up some clients to establish a new business, I got a compelling offer to work for someone I really respect. We negotiated terms and I took the job. I was expecting to have some more free time off but the new gig was pretty enticing and it's turned out to be a great decision for me. It's the first time in a while that I've been happy at work. I've still got my eye on the new business but it's not a matter of urgency.

Personally, I've done a lot a growing. My "higher self" is getting stronger but with idle time, my "lower self" still creeps up and stifles my growth. Luckily I'm seeing the patterns and I can address them.

In other news, my golf game has been atrocious. I waver between wanting to go out everyday and wanting to sell my clubs. I've realized my golf game has its own higher and lower selves.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Free and clear of CC debt again. Feels SOOOOO good.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

We have been in that condition for 5 years now after spending 20 getting out of debt.

It was a good year, my second in a newer job that I love. The IRA/401ks are growing nicely. My son got as far as an invite to the sheriff academy before deciding it wasn’t for him (to my relief). The daughter got her BA and is shopping graduate schools. We finally talked the mother in law to sell her rental condo in Santa Barbara. She has app $1.5 mil in two properties but lived on social security. I’m healthier than ever and we didn’t lose anyone close this year. All in all it has been a very good year.

In sports, the Lakers are fun again and my Cards are back in the playoffs. The only negative was my Saints getting screwed in the playoffs.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019: was it a good or bad year for you?

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
mine was so so

got rear ended 2x. once by someone with mercury insurance, and last week by someone with no insurance...on the 405. in the rain. my trunk won't open. bad

my mom is being bullied and harassed by her new stepdaughter over my stepdad's estate. bad

i flipped a foreclosure into a rental property that pays its own property taxes and nets me $820/mo. excited to raise the rent next month. good

the lakers are doing great but with a bunch of players coaches and execs i have zero emotional attachment to. bad

i think the guy who has been putting up my christmas lights for the last 3 years might be shafting me because he's racist. bad

go

You play tennis and win money at it.
You bank nearly $10k in semi-passive investment.
You have someone who you pay to put up decorative lights on your house.

By most metrics, you are living the life.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Been a crazy year filled with all kinds of extreme highs and lows.

It started off with tragedy. My best friend/coworker/golf buddy's wife died suddenly due a surreal medical malpractice issue - spent 3 days in the hospital with him as that horrible thing played out. They were both in their early '30s, college sweethearts and very much in love. So I've been helping him navigate the grief and realities of his life without her to the extent I can . . . and to top it off, their dog that they have had since before they were married died 2 nights ago.

My wife and I went into the year with plans to build a custom home on some property we own up in the PNW. We went into the summer with all the final architectural plans completed and picking out finishes and fixtures when we discovered the builder's final budget came in waayyy over the figures we had previously agreed upon. So that was a crushing disappointment. But we shifted plans, decided to buy a finished home instead and in October closed on a dream house right on the water on an island off Seattle. There's even a Lakers fan on the island that you all know.

My work is going great. I've had a really favorable schedule with Directors I really like. My wife landed an upcoming series on Netflix that is bound to be a big deal.

The kids are healthy and happy. My daughter graduated HS and after 3 previous trips to the City Finals as the starting goalie for her Water Polo team, they finally got that Championship based in no small part to her tenacity in the goal. My son is settling in to HS life as a Sophomore and really flourishing. He's becoming a huge lover of music and constantly amazes me with the great artists he is discovering for himself.

So as any year, it's been good and bad. But this one has definitely seen much bigger extremes of both.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

In other news, my golf game has been atrocious. I waver between wanting to go out everyday and wanting to sell my clubs. I've realized my golf game has its own higher and lower selves.

Mine has been improving - I finally have a repeatable, effective swing with my driver and my fairway percentage is up AND I have added +/- 20 yards to my distance. I have far fewer 3 putts. But my irons and wedges still frustrate the hell out of me and result in far too many double/triple bogies.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Heartburn wrote:

Mine has been improving - I finally have a repeatable, effective swing with my driver and my fairway percentage is up AND I have added +/- 20 yards to my distance. I have far fewer 3 putts. But my irons and wedges still frustrate the hell out of me and result in far too many double/triple bogies.

I have completely given up on my driver. I hit my three wood pretty reliably so I'm happy to give up a bit of distance for the more favorable placement. My irons are ok.

All in all, it's about reliability and consistency, and that changes from shot to shot. It's infuriating...and fun at the same time.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Yes, that is a good feeling. Liberating.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019: was it a good or bad year for you?

mine was so so

go

Not sure if its the same issue as me but I got rear ended and my trunk stopped opening through the key fob. I thought it was broken but turns out the rear end caused the trunk lock to trigger. I only found that out months later after watching random youtube videos
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject:

Actually ended up as a pretty amazing year for me.

Started off so badly, I started off the year barely able to walk because at the end of last year I tore ankle ligaments playing football (soccer). But I went through rehab well, played a whole lot of golf because it was all I could pretty much do (managed to knock my handicap down to 3 which is best it's ever been!), and when summer came around my ankle was pain free and now I've lost 30 pounds through being able to get more active again! (most of it was what I'd put on through not being active).

Ended up the year with my friends and family all doing well, all healthy, my job going well, and with a new girlfriend who is pretty amazing. Happy AF right now.

And the cherry on the cake... the Lakers are back in business again

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject:

Ultimately a very good year. Got a new job in February that I ended up hating, so I got a new better job in October that so far I’m really enjoying. Decided to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy for reasons and am glad I did, they found some pre cancerous polyps they were able to remove on one end, and something similar on the other. Got a Tesla, which I still smile every time I get in. My wife loves me. My son loves me. My dog loves me. And I love them too. Lakers got AD and are favorites once again. Took another trip around the sun!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2019: was it a good or bad year for you?

mine was so so
go

Hey you forgot one "good": Your name-sake is releasing his first album in 19 years:

https://people.com/music/huey-lewis-and-the-news-announce-new-album-weather/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: