SPURS -at- LAKERS - 2/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: SPURS -at- LAKERS - 2/4 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Bombs Away... The Spurs were sorta, kinda hanging around in this game until LeBron exploded in the fourth.

It was a slow, sleepy start to the game as both teams came out a bit flat. Anthony Davis took LeMarcus Aldridge out of the equation in the first half, holding him scoreless on 0-5 shooting as the Lakers built a 51-41 first half lead.

The Lakers pushed out to a 19-point lead in the third, but had that trimmed in half as the bench couldn’t score or keep DeRozan off the freethrow line.

L.A. led by 13 heading into the fourth. Both teams started to hit threes to open the quarter. Then LeBron just went nuts. He rained down five threes, one after another as he poured in 19 points over the course of a few minutes. And that was that. The Spurs were done.

With the 129-102 win, the Lakers now passed last season’s win total with their 38th W.

LeBron -- -- He just went nuts from the three line to start the fourth quarter. He sank five straight, getting into the zone during the middle of a shootout between the two teams. He was the only gunslinger alive after that exchange. It had Staples buzzing. The whole bench rushed to pick him up off the floor after that fifth one when Pop was forced to call a timeout. We tried to set him up for sixth on the subsequent ATO, but he couldn’t knock that one down. He scored 19 points in that first half of the fourth quarter. Excellent all-around game. He had a couple of those long outlet passes to teammates for scores in that first half. It’s one thing to throw it up to a big to out-jump everyone. It’s another to hit a guard. The one to KCP could not have been more perfect and made something out of nothing. The Stats: He scored 36 points on 12-20 shooting (6-9 from three, 6-9 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 9 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 34 minutes. He was a +20.

Davis -- -- Some really good defensive challenges on Aldridge on iso. That seemed to really take the Spurs out of this one. In the first half, he held him to 0 points on 0-5 shooting. Aldridge would finish with 7 points on 3-10 shooting as McGee took over defensively a bit in the second half. AD and Rondo teamed up at the end of the third for a couple of timely scores after the Spurs were making a run and then got to sit the entire fourth as we blew the Spurs out from there. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 8-12 shooting (0-1 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 29 minutes. He was a +7.

Green -- -- He had 2 assists in the first half, including a nice curl into the lane that turned into a lob dunk for AD. His scores came off a baseline jumper and a three in transition. Good job on the boards. We rebounded well as a team. There were a couple stands early on where we did not, then the team got it together. Every starter had between 5-7 rebounds. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-5 shooting (1-3 from three) to go with 7 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 1 foul in 19 minutes. He was a +5.

McGee -- -- He had 14 points in 15 minutes. Strong second half crashing the glass and using his size to cause the Spurs problems. That led to several scores and trips to the line. Just a really good effort where it was too much size and athleticism for the Spurs to deal with it. Defensively, we switched things up and had him managing Aldridge in the second half. He wasn’t as successful as AD, but didn’t allow anything crazy to happen. When we really put our mind to using our length/athleticism it’s a problem for opponents. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 5-7 shooting (4-5 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 1 block and 2 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a +12.

Bradley -- -- He sank a couple more threes in this game. He also hit a 17-footer for our first score. The three ball has looked much better lately (hard not to with how badly he shot it last month). Hopefully, he can get it back on track and stay healthy. We spread those minutes around pretty evenly between Bradley, Green, Rondo and KCP. All had around 20 or so minutes. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-9 shooting (2-5 from three) to go with 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 20 minutes. He was a +12.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Quiet night for KCP. He got in the highlights on a sequence where he got pushed on the defensive glass, was mad, came back in the game and roofed his man to tie him up for a jumpball. All of KCP’s scores were layups (an outlet from LeBron, an up-fake and drive, and an attack right to go high off the glass over the D). No threes or midrange action. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-5 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 assist, 1 block, 1 turnover and no fouls in 27 minutes. He was a +9.

Kuzma -- -- He was hitting the glass aggressively early on. This resulted in some pushouts in the first half, one that turned into a high screen-roll with Howard for a lob. The other turned into a feed to LeBron for a score in the paint (someone actually setting the table for LeBron). He also had a charge off those, but it helped the Lakers get the pace going. He was active and aggressive as a result of that effort with 8 rebounds (3 offensive) in that first half. He didn’t force anything offensively for himself, scoring 4 points on 2-4 shooting in that half. He picked it up in the second half, sinking a couple of threes during that shootout stretch. One of those, again, was off his own offensive board that he pulled out, turned and fired. I liked that he didn’t have an OC plays in this game. He was in more control and moving the ball a little more versus forcing things. That’s more of the vet-like game I want to see develop. Defensively, I liked that he got down low in his stance against smaller players. Generally, he wasn’t very effective, however. But he put in a good effort. Kuz had 4 of the 11 Laker offensive boards. Asked about the trade deadline, he said he didn’t care. He can’t control it. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-10 shooting (2-3 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 12 boards (4 offensive), 4 assists, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 29 minutes. He was a +15.

Caruso -- -- Quiet first half with just 6 minutes. We ran him a stretch as the PG while Rondo sat and stayed afloat. He’d get just a few minutes in the second half, scoring a layup across the lane after taking contact. Some great effort on his steal in the first half, knocking the ball loose then diving on the sideline to save it to a teammate. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting to go with 1 steal and 1 foul in 10 minutes. He was a -4.

Howard -- -- Double-double in his 21 minutes. I liked that high screen he set for Kuzma in transition that rolled into a lob. Dwight desperately needs that dribble penetration to thrive offensively. We just struggle with getting it consistently with our bench. But when it happens, it’s great to see. Kuzma found him twice in this one for scores. LeBron/Rondo, as well, but I like seeing someone else in the mix there with Kuz. This team can get to another level with our bench playmaking if we can improve it. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 5-5 shooting (2-4 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +20.

Rondo -- -- The team struggled a bit with Rondo and Kuzma trying to create when they first came in, but once LeBron returned they were back to smooth sailing in the first half. He scored a couple of layups and hit a 17-footer in the first half. He and LeBron had the team high +8 in the first half. Rondo also led the team with a couple turnovers early, but cleaned it up the rest of the way and led the team in assists. In the second half, he found AD at the end of the third for a couple of key scores to keep the Spurs from rallying. Plays that kill me: In the first half, shotclock low, the ball swings to him with 3 seconds on the clock, you’ve got to take that three, and he travels instead of firing it up. In the second half, he gets the ball swung to him for a wide open corner three and drives it into traffic instead. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-6 shooting (0-2 from three, 1-2 the line) to go with 4 boards, 9 assists, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +13.

Daniels -- -- Glad we’ve tightened the rotation. He wasn’t in the mix tonight. He banked in a garbage time three for a score. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-1 shooting to go with 1 foul in 4 minutes. He was a +7.

Cook -- -- He came in for garbage time and managed an airball and a travel. Not good minutes in this one, after stringing together some better minutes lately. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 turnover in 4 minutes. He was a +7.

Dudley -- -- He closed out the game. Probably should have come in a little sooner for either Kuzma or LeBron as we were up big. The Stats: He didn’t have any stats in 3 minutes. He was a +5.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: Pretty easy to coach when your superstars go and do superstar stuff. The Lakers got a couple of big scores from AD to close the third. The Spurs and Lakers both came out bombing threes to start the fourth. Then LeBron just blew the doors off the building with the five threes. That took the pressure off, and the Lakers could cruise to the win.

Key Substitution: Good rebounding by our backup bigs. Kuzma with 12, Dwight with 11. You’ve got to find a way to contribute around LeBron and AD. Hustling on the glass to make your own opportunities is one of those ways.

Key Stat: The Lakers were just 1-10 from three in the first half. They went 11-17 in the second half. As soon as they started dropping, this one was over.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Caruso should play more.

First.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject:

Good effort by the Lakeshow tonight. Need to see more effort like this from Kuz for the rest of the year (assuming he doesn't get traded).
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB.

Spurs have a piece or two that we could use. Too bad they'll never trade with us.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB !!!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Another win! Awesome to see the Lakers back on track.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject:

I don't particularly like this win. They played lock down D for a half and change (some of it was also the Spurs missing shots), but could just not gain any separation. When LeBron sat and they instantly saw the lead cut in half and then we needed an unlikely barrage of threes (while it seemed that they couldn't hit one for the first three quarters) to put them away. The D also slipped after the first couple of minutes of 2nd half.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject:

Has anyone noticed this team has now won more games than they did for whole of last season?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject:

Yay
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
I don't particularly like this win. They played lock down D for a half and change (some of it was also the Spurs missing shots), but could just not gain any separation. When LeBron sat and they instantly saw the lead cut in half and then we needed an unlikely barrage of threes (while it seemed that they couldn't hit one for the first three quarters) to put them away. The D also slipped after the first couple of minutes of 2nd half.

I think you take the win, especially if you want to guarantee 1 or 2 seed, but yeah I mean the same issue is there...Lebron sits, the offense goes to (bleep).

Also the Spurs aren’t the type of team where we needed wing defender, but we will need it against some of the better teams.

So yeah, got the W but doesn’t change the holes on the roster.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject:

I'll tell you this much, to hell with the Spurs. I once respected that franchise but quite frankly after what happened last Sunday and reading their responses on one of their prominent message boards, they can all kiss our collective asses.

I truly, truly, TRULY will enjoy as that second tier "nobody really gives a damn what they do" team continues suffering in mediocrity for many many years to come.

Just wanted to add that to this thread.

Lurkers can read to, and I know you classless clowns are doing just that.

Now with that said, I'll go celebrate another victory against the most boring, lowest TV rated team of all time while they wallow in their sorrows as Dallas and Houston prove time and time again that nobody gives a damn about San Antonio and the Spurs, even in their own state.

cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
I'll tell you this much, to hell with the Spurs. I once respected that franchise but quite frankly after what happened last Sunday and reading their responses on one of their prominent message boards, they can all kiss our collective asses.

I truly, truly, TRULY will enjoy as that second tier "nobody really gives a damn what they do" team continues suffering in mediocrity for many many years to come.

Now with that said, I'll go celebrate another victory against the most boring, lowest TV rated team of all time while they wallow in their sorrows as Dallas and Houston prove time and time again that nobody gives a damn about San Antonio and the Spurs, even in their own state.

What was the response?
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject:

cisternachyli wrote:
GTL wrote:

What was the response?

PM'ed you.

To put it lightly, as vile as I've seen across the NBA spectrum in terms of responses from opposing teams fans. I thought Denver fans were going to be awful, but these Spurs pricks really upped the ante in the classless department.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: