NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)

I’m with Lebron. Empty arenas would suck. I would suggest they do a lottery for those who already have tickets. They could spread out seats and sections so 1,000 people could attend. A lottery randomly selects the seats separating people from sitting in close proximity to strangers, and those people are allowed to attend. Something like 3 rows apart and 3 seats apart. Just a thought. Hope it doesn’t come to this, but Pearl Jam just canceled their arena tour and the NBA is looking for options.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject:

You know, I didn’t answer this question because I really don’t know how bad this is going to get. If it gets bad enough, I would vote for making them play in empty arenas. My idea, come up with a creative way for people to live stream their reactions during the games. It could be fun to watch some of the Laker celebrity fans react to plays from home. Watching Denzel or Andy Garcia jump of their couches, watching Jack lounge by the pool shouting the team on. Or you could love stream a commentary on top of the commentary kind of like when YouTubers comment on the games they are playing.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I ain’t going to a game this season. Not taking any chances. TV at home is fine for me.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject:

You all realize of course that the Flu has claimed well over 50000 lives world wide this year and that this is 3900 as of today....that the epicenter in China and Korea has leveled off as of last Friday...and that at minimum the recovery percentage is 96.2% and likely in the 99% range once final epidemiological results are tallied at years end?

This data come directly from the CDC and WHO and is easily verified.

I understand concern for elderly and immunocompromised people...but this is now reached hysteria. Total cases in US is under 1000 and no new hot spot will exceed the numbers found in China at the epicenter.

Make a person afraid and they will beg you to take away their freedom...and pay for it in the process.

Ask questions folks...do your own research...follow the $.

#BannersOverBillboards
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

There are fans whom would risk their health to attend games.

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
MKSforever
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject:

I guess it depends how much worse this gets. If it gets a lot worse I don't think the choice will be theirs.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
You all realize of course that the Flu has claimed well over 50000 lives world wide this year and that this is 3900 as of today....that the epicenter in China and Korea has leveled off as of last Friday...and that at minimum the recovery percentage is 96.2% and likely in the 99% range once final epidemiological results are tallied at years end?

I understand concern for elderly and immunocompromised people...but this is now reached hysteria. Total cases in US is under 1000 and no new hot spot will exceed the numbers found in China at the epicenter.

Make a person afraid and they will beg you to take away their freedom...and pay for it in the process.

Corona is 10x as deadly as the flu. If we don't eradicate it now and it becomes as common as the flu then the 300k to 600k who die from flu each year are joined by 3M to 6M covid deaths every year for the foreseeable future.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Let's be sure to post a link to any medical, scientific or statistical claims.

Quotes and links are better than summary and opinion.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject:

What are the chances they cancel the season because of this? It will also only take one player to be infected for them to shut down the season. And if they do shut it down, no one knows how long that is going to be. It could last a month, few months, or maybe until the end of the year. So there's a possibility that we might suffer a season with no champion being crowned.

Last edited by miggz23 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

Corona is 10x as deadly as the flu. If we don't eradicate it now and it becomes as common as the flu then the 300k to 600k who die from flu each year are joined by 3M to 6M covid deaths every year for the foreseeable future.

Exactly, people keep bringing up the flu but i've read a decent amount on Corona and seen about 5 of the victims explanation of the symptoms they had and it seems brutal asf for even the healthiest person. I'm not worried personally about dying at all but being super sick with something that is worse then the flu for 3 weeks would not only be absolute hell but devastating as far as not being to get on the road and work. Also, imagine getting it and giving it to someone close that is elderly and they pass away. Of course the media is over exaggerating it like they do with everything they possibly can but it's def. a real issue as it is only growing. I'd also be surprised if the numbers released aren't on the extremely low side and it's really quite a bit more but I won't go there at this point as that's purely speculation.

Also, look at the stock market and how hard this can hit the economy negatively if it continues on and worsens.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject:

What a selfish comment for him to make. He would rather play in front of a crowd that will potentially expose others to a virus just so people can watch his headband slide back while he dribbles a ball. If he’s playing for the fans he needs to considers the fans that watch the games on TV. There are more fans at home watching than in the actual arena. If he wants to play for the fans he should book a flight to China!
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

It has leveled off in China and Korea because each of them has taken extreme social distancing measures. China basically shut down the country for several weeks, forcing people to remain in their homes. Korea has closed schools and universities, shut down concerts and sporting events, etc.

Without social distancing measures, it grows exponentially. Here is a great short video

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

It has leveled off in China and Korea because each of them has taken extreme social distancing measures. China basically shut down the country for several weeks, forcing people to remain in their homes. Korea has closed schools and universities, shut down concerts and sporting events, etc.

Without social distancing measures, it grows exponentially. Here is a great short video

This isn’t the flu. Fantastic video, and at the end sums up the issue nicely. If people aren’t worried, if they don’t change behavior by continuing to gather large groups, or by simply not washing their hands more often and the growth factor remains the same at 1.15, in 61 days there will be over 100,000,000 infections (based on 21,000 current infections...it’s actually already double than that). If the growth factor drops to 1.05 using the same assumptions, it drops down to under 500,000 infections. “If people are sufficiently worried, there is less to worry about.”

China’s growth factor has dropped of because they took extreme steps to quarantine entire cities. Italy has now quarantined the entire country.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject:

People so worried about the virus, yet many take (bleep) daily at work without washing their hands.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject:

The real problem I keep telling people isn't the corona virus.

The real problem is everyone keeps buying toilet paper and when we run out, everyone will have stinky butt holes. And no one is coming to an arena full of stinky butt holes...not even me as a die hard Laker fan.

Last edited by lar9149 on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Coronavirus and NBA Arenas

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
I’m with Lebron. Empty arenas would suck. I would suggest they do a lottery for those who already have tickets. They could spread out seats and sections so 1,000 people could attend. A lottery randomly selects the seats separating people from sitting in close proximity to strangers, and those people are allowed to attend. Something like 3 rows apart and 3 seats apart. Just a thought. Hope it doesn’t come to this, but Pearl Jam just canceled their arena tour and the NBA is looking for options.

So you actually think that public health policy should be governed by polls of basketball fans?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

It should be up to the individual fan if they want to attend or not, assume your own risk. Fans should be allowed to wear their own masks/medical gowns/gloves
As far as NBA employees: players/coaches should have the option to not be near fans for at least 6 feet (move the courtside seats back and away from benches), stadium employees should be provided and have the option to wear a mask/protective medical gown/gloves during their shift.
Strict self quarantined/no work if symptomatic until cleared by doctor.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
You know, I didn’t answer this question because I really don’t know how bad this is going to get. If it gets bad enough, I would vote for making them play in empty arenas. My idea, come up with a creative way for people to live stream their reactions during the games. It could be fun to watch some of the Laker celebrity fans react to plays from home. Watching Denzel or Andy Garcia jump of their couches, watching Jack lounge by the pool shouting the team on. Or you could love stream a commentary on top of the commentary kind of like when YouTubers comment on the games they are playing.

the problem is that we have to be proactive instead of reactive.
that is going to cause a lot of complaints.
going through the LA marathon is a disaster imho
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Let's be sure to post a link to any medical, scientific or statistical claims.

Quotes and links are better than summary and opinion.

korea and china
korea went into quarantine for affected area early
china had disaster and had to shut down the country for 5 weeks
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/china/

usa and italy
usa had 14-day policy for visitors who was in china last 14 days
italy had quarantine for affected areas and then just locked down entire country yesterday
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
markjay wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

This isn’t the flu. Fantastic video, and at the end sums up the issue nicely. If people aren’t worried, if they don’t change behavior by continuing to gather large groups, or by simply not washing their hands more often and the growth factor remains the same at 1.15, in 61 days there will be over 100,000,000 infections (based on 21,000 current infections...it’s actually already double than that). If the growth factor drops to 1.05 using the same assumptions, it drops down to under 500,000 infections. “If people are sufficiently worried, there is less to worry about.”

China’s growth factor has dropped of because they took extreme steps to quarantine entire cities. Italy has now quarantined the entire country.

This video is interesting although we must understand the math will be somewhAt off. The formula assumes every person effected will contact x number of people which will than contact x number of people and that person continues to infect an x amount of people the next day.

This is true in China and South Korea because people got it there before the Corona virus was known about. It is believed certain places like Seattle this happened as they traced cases back to dec 2019.

However we now know about the corona virus it can’t be assumed every person who gets it Will keep infecting a x amount of people because some people will be quarantined. This didn’t happen in places like China right away

So it is uncertain whether mass quarantines are needed this point. Also I think it’s possible less people are going out so they already may decrease the growth.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
What are the chances they cancel the season because of this? It will also only take one player to be infected for them to shut down the season. And if they do shut it down, no one knows how long that is going to be. It could last a month, few months, or maybe until the end of the year. So there's a possibility that we might suffer a season with no champion being crowned.

imagine if they do that, wow, in the midst of Lakers' best season, cancelling this season means wasted one of LBJ's few remaining prime season, possibly opening the door for AD to sign elsewhere this summer. i know human lives are way more important than a game of basketball, but speaking from a pure Laker fan vaccum world, that would be suck big time.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

imagine if they do that, wow, in the midst of Lakers' best season, cancelling this season means wasted one of LBJ's few remaining prime season, possibly opening the door for AD to sign elsewhere this summer. i know human lives are way more important than a game of basketball, but speaking from a pure Laker fan vaccum world, that would be suck big time.

AD isn’t leaving if they cancel the season. It would give him more incentive to stay knowing they were so close. If he lost in the second round or something, that would be different although he probably would still re-sign either way.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
What a selfish comment for him to make. He would rather play in front of a crowd that will potentially expose others to a virus just so people can watch his headband slide back while he dribbles a ball. If he’s playing for the fans he needs to considers the fans that watch the games on TV. There are more fans at home watching than in the actual arena. If he wants to play for the fans he should book a flight to China!

your interpretation of what LBJ meant is totally wrong. But at least you got a jab in , ok. smh
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:

Possible. hoping not..
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

They should find the best outdoor court in every NBA city and have play there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 1 of 130
Jump to: