NETS -at- LAKERS - 3/10 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: NETS -at- LAKERS - 3/10 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Letdown After the Weekend... A bit of a letdown was expected after the last two games. The effort wasn’t bad tonight, but the focus came and went in this game.

“I feel like our sense of urgency wasn’t there from the beginning of the game,” Avery Bradley said. “Even though the game was close, we tried to turn it on a little too late.”

In the fourth quarter, they cranked up the intensity and defense, holding the Nets to 17 points. They didn’t really get going, however, until LeBron checked back in for the final minutes 6 minutes when we were down by 9.

He and AD came up with a number of bigs plays -- AD with huge threes and LeBron setting the table for him as well as pushing out a board for a score. But LeBron had some tough breaks, too. He had a three rattle down and out with 2:50 left and also missed a point-blank lefty layup in the final seconds.

Still the Lakers had a chance to win. Down 2 with the ball and 5 seconds on the clock. LeBron attacked, drew the D and kicked it to AD for a wide open wing three. He missed it at the buzzer. With the way he’d been shooting down the stretch, you expected it to drop.

The Lakers left themselves too small of a margin for error in this one. Not enough work done early, and they fell 104-102.

LeBron -- -- He nearly orchestrated a great late-game comeback. He just came up short. He hit a step-back three, was called for a bogus travel call that will be forgotten. He got robbed also on a three that rattled down and out with 2:50 left. Then, he struggled from the line, going just 1-5 in this game. He had a painful miss on a lefty layup in the final seconds. He put the team in position for a comeback, but we couldn’t get it done. His highlight play of the night was probably the great defensive play near the end of the first half, stripping a man on iso before diving to the floor for the ball, then hitting a teammate and it led to a Laker breakaway dunk. He sank a couple of threes early in the second half and made four on the night. Could have used a couple more FTs. The Stats: He scored 29 points on 12-22 shooting (4-9 from three, 1-5 from the line) to go with 12 boards, 9 assists, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 1 foul in 35 minutes. He was a +5.

Davis -- -- Man, he had a huge pick and pop three to tie the game with 42 seconds left (and hit an And-1 three with 3:23 left). He was given a wide open three at the buzzer on a LeBron kickout and he just couldn’t knock it down for the win. He drills that, Staples goes nuts. Poor first half in this game, scoring just 6 points on 1-6 shooting. A very perimeter oriented effort. His only field goal in the first half was on a floater. He’d get some wide open looks in the third quarter and the perimeter shot began to fall as he scored 14 points. He was on-balance more and the shots began to drop. Really good job down the stretch in that fourth to make some big plays for the Lakers (he had a huge putback, too). He just couldn’t get the last one to go. The Stats: He scored 26 points on 9-19 shooting (4-8 from three, 4-5 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a -5.

Green -- -- He had 3 assists in the first half, using some baseline attacks to find open three shooters. He sank a couple of threes, as well. No scoring in the second half. Some good moments on D, including drawing a charge. He’d miss a huge corner three to tie it with 1:20 left. We could have used that, but no one outside of LeBron/AD was contributing offensively to close. Got to have more from the role players there. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 2-5 shooting (2-4 from three) to go with 2 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals and 1 foul in 29 minutes. He was a -2.

McGee -- -- With Howard out with illness, the Lakers could mix up their minutes at the C spot a bit. We went small with Morris to start the second quarter, but later brought McGee in. (We’d do a little of that in the fourth briefly, before going with AD to close.) To start the third, however, Vogel yanked him early to go with a smaller lineup with AC after we weren’t getting stops. Not a lot in this one from McGee. He sank a hook trailing the break and finished a lob dunk. His best play might have been breaking up a lob himself, but not a lot of highlights. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting to go with 3 boards, 1 steal, 1 block and 3 fouls in 17 minutes. He was a -7.

Bradley -- -- He picked it up in the first quarter where he left off in the last one. He drained a couple of threes and swished a pull-up off a crossover. But he’d cool off as the game went along, missing a bunch of threes the rest of the way. He was able to draw a charge later in the game and also had a great boxout against a big, but pretty mediocre play by all of our guards tonight. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 4-11 shooting (2-8 from three) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists and 3 fouls in 31 minutes. He was a +3.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- Average game from KCP. Again, he got a finish on a break (always good for one of those per game). He sank a three on his first attempt. And hit a midrange on a kickout from LeBron in the second half. He seems automatic on those midrange looks. Wish he could teach AC to shoot like that from the midrange. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 3-7 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 5 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +7.

Kuzma -- -- Active first half with 10 points on 4-5 shooting. A lot of scores on the move in that first half, whether in transition or slipping screens. That’s always there for him even if his perimeter shot isn’t. He’s struggled with that three ball, but nice to see him get some other parts of his game going. Defensively, was hit and miss. The turnovers were painful, though. He telegraphed a post entry pass in the first half. He got stripped from behind in the second half. Then had a painful sequence of giving up a putback score, then pushing off on one of LeBron’s long outlets to get whistled for an offensive foul. The Stats: He scored 14 points on 6-9 shooting (0-2 from three, 2-2 from the line) to go with 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 4 fouls in 22 minutes. He was a -1.

Caruso -- -- A little up and down in the first half. He missed a few shots early and threw a pass out of bounds. Then was able to force a backcourt turnover and also sank an open wing three on a kickout. Still, a team-low -6 in that first half as our offense died for a stretch. In the second half, he had another probe where he threw the ball away. He just didn’t seem comfortable at all offensively. He had the team-low -11. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-4 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 turnovers in 14 minutes. He was a -11.

Rondo -- -- His highlight play of the game was a nice bounce pass to Kuz going to the hoop for a layup. Beyond that, a very forgettable game. He sank an open three for his only points but had 2 turnovers with his 2 assists. In the second half, he choked a layup and didn’t hit iron on a three. Soft on D, as well. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-3 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 2 assists, 2 turnovers and 1 foul in 16 minutes. He was a +0.

Morris -- -- With no Howard, we used him some at the backup C spot, going small. He had some good challenges in the paint with just enough size to be disruptive. A couple painful plays in the second half. He couldn’t handle a kickout from Rondo in the corner and also was blocked on a layup. The Stats: He didn’t score on 0-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 6 boards (3 offensive), 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a -2.

Vogel -- -- Key Moment: I might go with the Nets’ coaches challenge below, but you probably need to go with that final play to win it if the shot goes down. We put LeBron opposite the sideline inbounds pass. We ran him off a screen by AD. He had the ball, floor spaced, attacked, drew the helping big and fed AD for the wide open three for the shot. I suppose you could have had AD setting up closer for a two, but with how he was shooting and how wide open he was, you really can’t complain on that.

Key Substitution: In the past, when he’s felt the team was in for a letdown, he’d try to pick up a tech and fire them up. Vogel had a quick yank of McGee early in the second half after he didn’t like our team D. Maybe that was his moment. But during that third, it would have been nice to lay into the refs or the team a little to fire them up. The intensity wasn’t there. They got worked 31-22 in that third. “We tried to turn the switch on too late,” Danny Green said.

Key Stats: I didn’t like the 14 offensive boards we gave up. We didn’t have Dwight in this one and Jarrett Allen, the Nets backup C, had 4 offensive boards, so that probably hurt, but we also went small quite a bit.

Coach’s Challenge: The Nets used theirs with 2 minutes left in the third to challenge a charge that AD drew on a rotation. It was successful, so they got the bucket, foul and a FT on it. Lakers trailed by 5. Then 8 on the end of that 17-5 run. Vogel didn’t use his. He might have been able to do it on a LeBron travel in the fourth. This came down to one possession. Got to use that challenge somewhere.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject:

First.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject:

As Admiral Ackbar said, "It's a trap!"

Either the Lakers were looking proudly back or looking ahead to another big weekend ahead. We held NJ to 41% shooting, but gave up 14 offensive boards and sent them to the line way too often.

Still, a chance to win the game on a well devised and executed final play.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject:

Great write up DB

I had no issue with the final play call. I wondered if theyd play for a tie or avoid OT and go for the win - they did the latter and Im good with that.

Im never happy when the teams effort goes sideways, but understand it happens in a long season. I guess my frustration was I noticed they werent really working for buckets on offense like they did v bucks and clips, often just relying on unpredictable long range shots

Im also scratching my head re why Lakers have any difficulty with this team - even in the preseason!

But whatever, onto the next one.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. I was checking on my phone and when I saw that the Lakers had 6 FTA or something at the half, I knew they were sleepwalking.

Hate when these games happen - but they happen.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject:

I can’t believe the number of good shots we had, that just rimmed out. Just an unlucky game.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Not surprising considering an expected letdown and the Nets always play us tough.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Had to miss this one. Sucks we lost, but I don't think the Lakers will make a habit of this.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

I could pretty much tell this one wasn't happening in the third. I know it's not his style, but perhaps Frank should have just let this one go after that point. Play the long game ... And challenge anyone not named LeBron or Anthony Davis to try and salvage the game on their own.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject:

I've always wanted Spencer Dinwiddie.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject:

While it would be incorrect to pin this loss on any single factor, this game reaffirms that one of the major holes still remains : lack of a dynamic/attacking guard. Caruso tried to attack off the dribble, but it's clear he is not in the same league as e.g. the Nets' Dinwiddie and Chiozza (btw who's this Chiozza anyways). Rondo is Rondo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject:

Enter Dion.

Or at least we hope.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I remember feeling that way about AD for a few years.
JacksonLN
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Enter Dion.

Or at least we hope.

Well Dion is gonna be a hit or miss to be honest. Not keeping my hopes up.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Last game with fans until when?

Nice job China/Gobert.....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have buzzards luck. First the injury bug was the thing that held us down. Now it's a pandemic. What's next?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Would be amazing if we could pick him this summer.
JacksonLN
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Would be amazing if we could pick him this summer.

His interview after Kobe died... makes me believe he would bleed purple and gold. I wish we could've landed him @ the deadline.

Anyways this loss tastes more sour now that there's a decent change it was the last game of the season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: