Eddie Jones
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Eddie Jones

Did we really have to trade him? I'm imagining a 7-8 year run with him and Kobe in the backcourt together. I mean, Rice was pretty underwhelming here in his short tenure. Thoughts?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject:

I was really pissed when we traded Stormin Norman Nixon and Eddie. We got Byron with one trade (I think he is very under rated by many because of his hanging around then coaching). Rice was HORRIBLE and to this day, I can not figure out that move.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I was really pissed when we traded Stormin Norman Nixon and Eddie. We got Byron with one trade (I think he is very under rated by many because of his hanging around then coaching). Rice was HORRIBLE and to this day, I can not figure out that move.

I think I understand why they thought he would fit. 22ppg scorer the year before he became a Laker. Shot 47 and 43% from 3 the years before, relatively healthy, all-star. But at the time I thought he would be a curious fit given his role as a #1 scorer for the Hornets.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

I think 'horrible' is a bit extreme. He averaged 16 ppg, was a pretty reliable spot up shooter, could semi-create his own shot when needed and all this as the third option.

I think the trade was mainly about getting Shaq a shooter for when he'd get double teamed (remember getting George McCloud a few years prior ). Plus Elden was really struggling and I believe was relegated from starting 4 to backup 5.

So we got Elden's contract off the books, made room for Kobe in the starting lineup and then got Rice, who was a solid contributor to the first championship.

But I do agree that a lineup with Eddie and Kobe would've been great to see in the early 2000s.

Last edited by oasisdude77 on Thu May 07, 2020 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

Yeah on paper the Rice trade made some sense. But damn, always loved Eddie Jones. Would have been a champion on the Lakers for sure.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

The official "excuse" is that we traded Eddie to give Kobe more minutes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
The official "excuse" is that we traded Eddie to give Kobe more minutes.

Yeah, and in today's modern NBA, imagine Kobe/Eddie sharing the backcourt together...whoa. Didn't have to be one or the other but that was a different era of basketball.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eddie Jones

yinoma2001 wrote:
Did we really have to trade him? I'm imagining a 7-8 year run with him and Kobe in the backcourt together. I mean, Rice was pretty underwhelming here in his short tenure. Thoughts?

This has been pretty well covered in some recent threads.

In a nutshell, the Lakers (1) didn't think Eddie could coexist as a SF with Kobe and he was really a SG; and (2) didn't think Eddie was a good enough 3-point shooter.

In hindsight, on paper, keeping Eddie seems like it would have been better. But it's anyone's guess if in reality we would have won more, fewer or the same amount of rings with Eddie.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

Rice wasn't horrible, though the triangle and being the third option didn't really fit his game.

In two years as a third banana, he averaged 16-3-4 and 38% on 3 pointers.

Eddie, before he was traded, was doing much worse than that as the #3 guy.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

Btw, I used to love Lawrence Tanter's 'Threeeee pointer for Eddie JOOOOOOOOONES' call.

One of the few times he would get overly enthusiastic.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

I seem to recall Eddie being due for an extension and landing something close to 100M over 7 and Campbell had a descent deal too. They were not going to resign Eddie long term and hoped Rice would fit for a championship run short term.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject:

Rice was a SHADOW of what he was with the Hornets and Heat. Rice played zero D, didn't rebound, didn't shoot well, and did not show up during the playoffs. I expected much more from him. It was the beginning of the end of his career. Jones was still a very good player for several more years. We took it in the shorts big time.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject:

Eddie Jones was one of my favorite Lakers -- loved hearing Eddie-Eddie-Eddie rain down from the rafters back in the day. That dunk over the 7-6 Deathstick Shawn Bradley was legendary.

It was sad to see him go to the Hornets, with all that said, he seemed to be a different player during the playoffs. (Credit to Krispy)

97 playoff series vs Jazz: (FG)

Game 1: 6/15
Game 2: 0/3
Game 3: 2/5
Game 4: 5/8
Game 5: 4/14

FG: 37%
PPG: 10.2
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject:

Rice was okay but I expected more from him. He wasn’t the same player he was in Charlotte when he made 43.3% and 47% of his threes the two seasons before the trade. In LA his numbers were 39.3% and 36.7%. Eddie Jones shot 38.9% and 39.1% from three in the two seasons before 1999.

But Eddie didn’t shoot as well in the playoffs against Portland and Utah when the game slowed down.

The offense had issues when the game slowed down but the biggest issue was defense, especially when playing against the Jazz. With hindsight, the roster looked much better defensively with Rodman and Eddie Jones than it did with JR Reid and Glen Rice, but Rodman was turned loose because he didn’t want to be a Laker and Rambis was fed up with him, and Jones was traded.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

We got JR Reid back in the trade and it seemed like he was constantly praised by the team, but from what I remember Tim Duncan destroyed him and had his best series against our team that year.

It led to an embarrassing sweep. Before that series started I thought the worst case scenario was losing in 6 games in a competitive series, not getting swept. But I thought the same thing a year earlier against the Jazz.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject:

I just figured trading Eddie and Elden was a money thing. Kobe was getting ready to come off his rookie deal, and was looking at $75 Million extension. Both Eddie and Elden had pretty fresh extensions, and trading them for Rice was equal to a salary dump. In retrospect, I wish they had kept Elden. The years they were together, they tried to have him on the floor with Shaq, and that just didn't work. He couldn't play with Shaq. But when Shaq was out, he balled. He would've been a great back up for Shaq, which Shaq never had a real back up while he was here.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Rice was a SHADOW of what he was with the Hornets and Heat. Rice played zero D, didn't rebound, didn't shoot well, and did not show up during the playoffs. I expected much more from him. It was the beginning of the end of his career. Jones was still a very good player for several more years. We took it in the shorts big time.

I hated that trade and said so at the time.

That said, Eddie and Elden were due for more money and it was going to happen with Kobe/Shaq on the team.

I agree with you though, Rice was already washed up by the time the Lakers got him...about the only thing he did well was shoot free throws.
Wvc0925
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Eddie Jones was one of my favorite Lakers -- loved hearing Eddie-Eddie-Eddie rain down from the rafters back in the day. That dunk over the 7-6 Deathstick Shawn Bradley was legendary.

It was sad to see him go to the Hornets, with all that said, he seemed to be a different player during the playoffs. (Credit to Krispy)

97 playoff series vs Jazz: (FG)

Game 1: 6/15
Game 2: 0/3
Game 3: 2/5
Game 4: 5/8
Game 5: 4/14

FG: 37%
PPG: 10.2

Eddie was the defacto second best player at that point. Realistically he should have been a 3rd option type of player. Had we let it ride, then Kobe emerges and Eddie would have had an easier time scoring.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I loved Eddie, hated the trade but figured it really was to create space for Kobe and also because Eddie was a disappearing act in the playoffs.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject:

If Eddie was cool with coming off the bench, and if he and Kobe could've played some minutes together at times, it would've been better for us to keep Eddie.

The early 2000s teams seriously lacked athleticism, and Eddie would've helped with that. Plus his defense would've made us even better at that end.

I think Phil would've loved to have him, especially on the defensive end since he was a big guard.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject:

I thought getting rid of Eddie was all about $$.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject:

I remember being super excited about Glen Rice. But man if it ain't true that Lakers is where jump shots die. LOL! He wasn't lights out the way he was in Miami and Charlotte. I'm pretty sure playing 3rd fiddle had something to with that, plus he was getting up there at 32. But very quickly, I wanted Jones and Campbell back. Players losing accuracy with their jumpers when they wear P&G started with Terry Teagle. I was super excited we got him too, but he wasn't the same in LA as he was in GS.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
I thought getting rid of Eddie was all about $$.

I don't think it was a money issue. Glen Rice made a lot, and the Lakers expressed a willingness to extend his contract after they traded for him. If he had worked out, it would have been a wash moneywise.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If Eddie was cool with coming off the bench, and if he and Kobe could've played some minutes together at times, it would've been better for us to keep Eddie.

The early 2000s teams seriously lacked athleticism, and Eddie would've helped with that. Plus his defense would've made us even better at that end.

I think Phil would've loved to have him, especially on the defensive end since he was a big guard.

I wish we'd kept him as he was never a high volume guy. He'd shoot open 3's, ran the floor, slash to the basket but didn't really pound the rock to death. I think the Lakers lost out big as a Kobe/Eddie combo would have been lethal defensively. He was a solid passer too and I could easily see him having an Andre Iguodala type impact.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I think the point of the trade was to accomplish the following, in this order:

1. Get out from Elden's contract. He was a serviceable player, and his contract wasn't a complete albatross (~$7M-$8M/year), however he showed he had trouble playing alongside Shaq. With the MDE playing 35+ minutes, it's hard to justify paying Elden the money he was getting to just be a part-time player.
2. Free up playing time for Kobe. Unfortunately Eddie was the casualty of it. During that time I don't think anyone could envision either Eddie or Kobe holding down the 3 without being some kind of liability. Both dudes were lanky "2's" in the 90's era.
3. Get Shaq a legit 3-point shooting threat Kobe and Eddie showed they could hit a 3, but not with any kind of consistency that Rice was supposed to provide.
4. "Save" on extending Eddie. Eddie was still on his rookie deal when dealt, but if the Lakers felt they could only afford to keep Shaq + one of Kobe/Eddie long-term, perhaps they felt it was prudent to move off Eddie right then so they could be able to fully commit to Kobe as their future star on the wing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: