NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:
If the NBA can start up then so can other places of business.

Yes they could. If all of the employees of said businesses were to go live in a contained area that doesn’t allow anybody in or out. If these employees were having daily testing done. And also any possible customers of said business would also have to live in this contained area as well.

Not sure why it’s so difficult to understand how sports can start back up easier than other businesses. Are they essential? Of course not. But if they are able to safely return, they should.

Except basketball doesn't have social distancing when they play against each other. Then there are players who are huffing and puffing... running up and down the court, sweating etc. I don't know about you but that could lead to potential transmission. However this is probably going to be conveniently ignored and dispel the narrative the MSM has been feeding the public about this virus since jump. I mean they closed down gyms for this reason.

Then there's the element of athletes who have their groupies etc they probably want to bring with them they won't publically discuss.. good luck containing that.

If it was Golf or Racing where you don't really need to be near each other its one thing but other sports not so much.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject:

Would anyone support a lottery? The commissioner draws ping pong balls to select this years world champions

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 am; edited 2 times in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
AD23 wrote:
Really love the idea of ignoring conferences and doing 1-16 seeding.

https://twitter.com/actionnetworkhq/status/1264983225992167424?s=21

This appears to benefit the Lakers. Significantly. Sigh me up LOL.

1st Round Lakers(#2) vs Nets(#15)

Nets with healthy KD amd Kyrie?
Lakers with healthy Cousins?

They should also have a mini tournament fighting for the 16th spot from those teams that still have a big chance making the playoffs.

Cousins isn’t a Laker
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Would anyone support a lottery? The commissioner draws ping pong balls to select this years world champions

Only if the Celtics were a top 3 team and the Lakers were not.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

Yes they could. If all of the employees of said businesses were to go live in a contained area that doesn’t allow anybody in or out. If these employees were having daily testing done. And also any possible customers of said business would also have to live in this contained area as well.

Not sure why it’s so difficult to understand how sports can start back up easier than other businesses. Are they essential? Of course not. But if they are able to safely return, they should.

Except basketball doesn't have social distancing when they play against each other. Then there are players who are huffing and puffing... running up and down the court, sweating etc. I don't know about you but that could lead to potential transmission. However this is probably going to be conveniently ignored and dispel the narrative the MSM has been feeding the public about this virus since jump. I mean they closed down gyms for this reason.

Then there's the element of athletes who have their groupies etc they probably want to bring with them they won't publically discuss.. good luck containing that.

If it was Golf or Racing where you don't really need to be near each other its one thing but other sports not so much.

They're going to be tested everyday...the players want to return...fans want it back...we need stop being so fearful and critical. I work for a law enforcement agency with 10,000 employees. In total we have had 115 cases of Corona. Do the math. We deal with homeless, gangsters, drug addicts etc. Every single employee that has caught the virus has beat it and come back to work except for the ones that caught it more recently and are still quarantine for 14 days which is about 30 right now. ZERO deaths. Let that sink in...we deal with the worst yet here we are.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

You have a far smaller population to protect, test daily, and track when it comes to 15 players on the roster of an NBA team than you do in a public gymnasium. Also, social distancing in light of a pandemic when there is no vaccine available yet is a pretty smart 'narrative' to follow.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:

I think it would further cheapen an already cheapened title. You might as well use the NHL 24 team model.

I would've expected nothing less from you!

It is what it is, nothing is normal about this season so why jump the shark? Woj has an article about if we have a 16-team playoffs, seeding 1-16 would be the best way. Really? We have a 16-game playoffs every season. Why change it?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AD23 wrote:

I think it would further cheapen an already cheapened title. You might as well use the NHL 24 team model.

I would've expected nothing less from you!

It is what it is, nothing is normal about this season so why jump the shark? Woj has an article about if we have a 16-team playoffs, seeding 1-16 would be the best way. Really? We have a 16-game playoffs every season. Why change it?

Ventura...I think they were debating that if there was one location, Orlando. Then they would seed them 1-16. There was talk of 2 locations, Orlando and Vegas, where the east would be in Orlando and west in Vegas. Then that would be a regular format.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject:

For some, if the Clips win the championship, it will be legit. However, if the Lakers win it, it should not count and should have an asterisk attached.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

That's a reasonable point.

But I see a big difference between the NBA and a gym.

The NBA is testing everyone daily, putting them in a bubble, and keeping fans (the general public) away. The NBA has to negotiate with a union so the employees won't come back until they accept the conditions.

That's really not comparable to a public gym. And in any case some public gyms are reopening.

So I don't see this as the NBA being treated differently. Then simply can do things (like daily testing and putting everyone in a bubble) that gyms and some other businesses can't/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
For some, if the Clips win the championship, it will be legit. However, if the Lakers win it, it should not count and should have an asterisk attached.

I know I’m not the only 1 who thinks this whole coronavirus pandemic crisis should have a more meaning to whomever wins the title rather it’s the Clippers .. Lakers or Bucks these guys are gonna risk playing the game they love and it should count as any other championship.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I know I’m not the only 1 who thinks this whole coronavirus pandemic crisis should have a more meaning to whomever wins the title rather it’s the Clippers .. Lakers or Bucks these guys are gonna risk playing the game they love and it should count as any other championship.

I agree however..God forbid, but say we face the Bucks in the finals and the Greek freak gets the virus and is out...I would say an asterisk is necessary. I don't think an asterisk devalues a championship...it just addresses the fact this was not a normal season...stoppage, restart, no fans, one location site, testing etc.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

This season will have an asterisk for lots of people no matter who wins.

But sure, people who don't like the Lakers will want to tweak our noses, same as always.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

I agree however..God forbid, but say we face the Bucks in the finals and the Greek freak gets the virus and is out...I would say an asterisk is necessary. I don't think an asterisk devalues a championship...it just addresses the fact this was not a normal season...stoppage, restart, no fans, one location site, testing etc.

That’s a fair point, this is apart of the risk the NBA is taking by resuming the season.. hopefully the fact that the teams are gonna play in 1 location only prevents players from catching the virus.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

This season will always have one for me, because it got interrupted in the middle of it. We were starting to go next year just in time, and this whole break could have killed all our momentum. Other teams that started slowing down could benefit more. Plus the format seems to be changing

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

This season will always have one for me, because it got interrupted in the middle of it. We were starting to go next year just in time, and this whole break could have killed all our momentum. Other teams that started slowing down could benefit more. Plus the format seems to be changing

This will always be a highly unusual season.

That said, ultimately, whoever wins wins. People who make a big deal discounting the win just have their own agenda that has nothing to do with the season.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject:

Hey nobody says Duncan has 4 rings because one doesn't count
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject:

This asterisk talk is pure BS
PNWlakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject:

now there are talks of a group stage format, i.e. World Cup Soccer?

Could be interesting and might be the most fair way to start.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:
Wvc0925 wrote:

You have a far smaller population to protect, test daily, and track when it comes to 15 players on the roster of an NBA team than you do in a public gymnasium. Also, social distancing in light of a pandemic when there is no vaccine available yet is a pretty smart 'narrative' to follow.

Is it? Because they projected millions would've died and it has barely cracked that. We've had worse diseases etc come and go through the years where the entire world wasn't shut down over it.

Then there's of course people not following social distancing.

This is about $$$ for the NBA nothing more if they want to return fine but so should the rest of the world in that case. That's not going to happen..

Like I said they're fake woke.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject:

I just want to see our resident Clippers fans eat a big hot steamer when we win the championship.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Because they projected millions would've died and it has barely cracked that.

There was one study out of the UK that projected that 2 million people would die in the US if we did absolutely nothing in response to covid19 -- no social distancing, no closing anything down, etc. That was the upper end if we had pretended covid19 didn't exist.

So if you believe that study, the steps we took saved millions of lives.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

Damian Lillard saying he won't play if all regular season games aren't completed. He is asking for a tournament to let seeds 7-12 have a chance to play their way into the playoffs. Source: LINK
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Only if the Celtics were a top 3 team and the Lakers were not.

Our luck with ping pong balls, we would get second place .
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

I think that if the second season starts, how the NBA approaches it will define if it is a normal title or a tainted one. Do I think that the top 8 in each Conference when play halted would stay the same at the end of 82 games? No, I think that we would have seen movement in and out of the top 8. If the league has a 24-team playoffs with the bottom 4 playing in, that would make it more legit. If they go top 16 mixing Conferences, nothing else could be farther from a normal title.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 95 of 130
Jump to: