What if Ariza was healthy in 2008?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
x75274 wrote:
We need to let this one go. Even with those 2, we arent winning game 1, 4 or 6. Game 2 is one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen against the Lakers, but even if we win that one, we would have to face Boston in game 7 at Boston. As much as I love my Lakers, if I had to bet my life or my families lives on that one game, there is no f'ing way in hell, I am choosing the Lakers to win Game 7 in Boston in 2008.

The (bleep)-ING Leon Powe game. This will always set me off when I think of it.

me too. I always think about how Powe got better treatment by refs in that one game than Kobe did in all his FInals games. Really maddening.

By far this is what I remember most about that ridiculous series above all else.

ABC running the Leon Power special at halftime of that EXACT EFFING GAME was the cap in the feather. Unreal.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Ariza is one of those special role players that was just made for the Lakers. Of course he would've made a difference against the Celtics in 08. I think the bigger what-if is what if the negotiations between Kupchak and Trevor's agent hadn't gone south during the 09 summer. If we bring him back do we win in 2010? 2011? I think we do.

That was my hope, bring Ariza back and use the MLE on Jarrett Jack.

Spot on! Mine as well.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject:

One scenario I've always wondered about personally.. what if instead of the failed CP3 trade, we went for what Houston was offering:

Scola, Kevin Martin and Dragic for Gasol. Houston was going to throw in a pick but lets say instead of that, we found a way to parlay that into Shane Battier.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I rewatched game 4 of the 2009 finals against Orlando yesterday and wow, Ariza really was the perfect role player. Great off-ball defense, slashing, and three point shooting. He could still be a solid contributor to this day had we not let him go for a post-prime Artest.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
One scenario I've always wondered about personally.. what if instead of the failed CP3 trade, we went for what Houston was offering:

Scola, Kevin Martin and Dragic for Gasol. Houston was going to throw in a pick but lets say instead of that, we found a way to parlay that into Shane Battier.

Scola would have been a better fit next to Bynum, who IMO never really fit next to Gasol. Martin could have been a useful sixth man and provided bench scoring that we lacked that year and Dragic could have been the PG that that 2011-2012 team never really had.

Battier was worth way more than a first round pick so I doubt we would have gotten him.

I doubt any of this is enough to get us past OKC.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
joeblow wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
x75274 wrote:
We need to let this one go. Even with those 2, we arent winning game 1, 4 or 6. Game 2 is one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen against the Lakers, but even if we win that one, we would have to face Boston in game 7 at Boston. As much as I love my Lakers, if I had to bet my life or my families lives on that one game, there is no f'ing way in hell, I am choosing the Lakers to win Game 7 in Boston in 2008.

The (bleep)-ING Leon Powe game. This will always set me off when I think of it.

me too. I always think about how Powe got better treatment by refs in that one game than Kobe did in all his FInals games. Really maddening.

By far this is what I remember most about that ridiculous series above all else.

ABC running the Leon Power special at halftime of that EXACT EFFING GAME was the cap in the feather. Unreal.

Phil Jackson called him Leon PAU. GOAT-ish level name-trolling
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject:

I think you guys maybe underestimating Paul Pierce, not sure if Ariza could have guarded him..Artest was the guy and the Lakers got him next year.

Anyone doubts this take a look at this video

If you don't want to see the whole video, skip to 10.15
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I always thought the Celtics defense was a bigger problem than Pierce scoring. Kobe and Gasol didn’t play anywhere near their best. Kobe at his best smokes Pierce.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

the veto was the most landscape altering thing in recent nba history. and it screwed one team and one team only. the chain of events afterward plays heavily in the warriors' success, the cavs/miami/lebron success, the end of kobe, the lakers troubles for like 10 years. It also effectively ended a 30 year Jerry Buss reign, the real dynasty.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

Assume that Kobe still gets injured and we have only two years with that crew.

Scola was pretty much done by then. Is a team centered around three guards -- Kobe, Dragic, and Martin -- good enough to get out of the west? I have my doubts, but we'll never know of course.

That isn't a woulda-coulda-shoulda scenario I lose any sleep over.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

Scola was pretty much done by then. Is a team centered around three guards -- Kobe, Dragic, and Martin -- good enough to get out of the west? I have my doubts, but we'll never know of course.

Scola had one of the shortest periods of effectiveness I’ve ever seen. Then again he was a 29 year old rookie, so...

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

Scola had one of the shortest periods of effectiveness I’ve ever seen. Then again he was a 29 year old rookie, so...

Shout out to Pablo Prigioni who was the oldest rookie in NBA history at age 35
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: