NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Damian lillard had 65 games to show he is superstar and carry his team to playoffs.

u didnt bro...so your threats of not playing are as clueless as your game

so long, see u next year...if you decide to show up that is

https://media.giphy.com/media/VapWo1dvqJquP3frRb/giphy.gif
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Damian lillard had 65 games to show he is superstar and carry his team to playoffs.

They were catching up with Memphis, as were the Kings and Pelicans. The 20 team playin format after getting all teams up to 70 games seems to be catching momentum.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject:

The validity of the eventual champion has nothing to do with who grabs the eighth seed. Only team below the 4th seed to win in league history was Houston (6th). The priority should be getting through a full postseason without Covid related interruptions or absences.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

At this point, i kinda wanna see the blazers make the playoffs, so we can absolutely humiliate them in the first round.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

At this point, i kinda wanna see the blazers make the playoffs, so we can absolutely humiliate them in the first round.

Dropping from WCF to missing the playoffs the next year without major free agent losses or injuries is pretty bad.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

Dropping from WCF to missing the playoffs the next year without major free agent losses or injuries is pretty bad.

Other than their two guards, it's a completely different team than last year. The changes may not be big names but they were all significant. They're significantly worse in shooting, rebounding, defense, passing and pretty much everything else
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

They were catching up with Memphis, as were the Kings and Pelicans. The 20 team playin format after getting all teams up to 70 games seems to be catching momentum.

hope he had the same confidence in himself that you have
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

Other than their two guards, it's a completely different team than last year. The changes may not be big names but they were all significant. They're significantly worse in shooting, rebounding, defense, passing and pretty much everything else

Just noticed Nurkic never came back from last year's injury either.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

I wouldn't call it a "threat." I can understand why he wouldn't want to return for some meaningless games if he doesn't have a chance to make the playoffs. If you ask a guy to put his health at potential risk, you need to give him a stronger reason than "because."
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject:

Did Damian said he wouldn't return because of health concerns (understandable) or because his team sucks balls and has no chance of winning (weak)?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

Without injuries? Sorry, that isn’t correct.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1266396979971657728?s=21

Shams with the goods.

Windhorst says teams are “paranoid” that the NBA is trying to include Zion and the Pels. Probably *some* truth to that.

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1266372884735246337?s=21

Tbh, 65 games is enough to reward the teams that made the top 8 in their respective conference.

It’s not the end of the world if they have play-in, but it’s unfair to the bottom seeds that busted their ass to get into the playoffs.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

I wouldn't call it a "threat." I can understand why he wouldn't want to return for some meaningless games if he doesn't have a chance to make the playoffs. If you ask a guy to put his health at potential risk, you need to give him a stronger reason than "because."

He has 196 million reasons to play. If he doesn't want to play because he's assuming they won't make the playoffs, does he still need to be paid the roughly $6M (prorated) owed for the remaining games?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

He has 196 million reasons to play. If he doesn't want to play because he's assuming they won't make the playoffs, does he still need to be paid the roughly $6M (prorated) owed for the remaining games?

First, it's not an assumption they won't make the playoffs. He said he wouldn't return if the plan they put in place all but guarantees the Blazers wouldn't male the playoffs. He said he would return if they actually have a shot.

I guess the 196 million is the amount of his remaining contract. But it's not like he forfits that money if he refuses to play the last few games.

As far as the prorated amount of his contract, that's a legal matter, and will probably be addressed in the negotiations between the league and players union.

If it's up to the team, I doubt they dock him.

But if this is purely a money issue, I wouldn't blame him for sitting. He's made about $110 million in his NBA career and is owed $220 million in future money. Why should be put his health and even life at risk to make a few million on some meaningless games?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1266444677940682757?s=21

July 31st target date to resume season. That’s plenty of time to ramp back up and mitigate the injury risk.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject:

I agree with those that say that going straight into the playoffs is unfair to teams like the Pelicans/Blazers/Spurs those teams want to have a chance to compete at the big stage, Adam Silver has a hard decision to make because the Blazers and Pelicans were starting to hit there stride before the season shut down...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Good to see that the majority of teams want to continue with the playoffs structured as usual. Keep it simple and make this a “real” season.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I agree with those that say that going straight into the playoffs is unfair to teams like the Pelicans/Blazers/Spurs those teams want to have a chance to compete at the big stage, Adam Silver has a hard decision to make because the Blazers and Pelicans were starting to hit there stride before the season shut down...

Still the 65+ games or whatever it was is substantial. Those teams have no room to complain, you are what your record says. The Pels are probably a bit skewed because they didn’t have Zion, but they have also had a bunch of bad losses even with Zion. Just a young team.

Those teams will have to accept things if it’s just top 8. They had more than enough time to get the 8 seed.

Yes injuries play a role, but that’s part of the game. Even Memphis had to stay afloat without Clarke and JJJ.

Edit: looks like those teams will get their way

Quote:
Owners are largely planning to pledge support for Silver's final recommedation on a plan, which teams expect to include invitations for 20-to-22 teams to resume the season, sources tell @ramonashelburne, @ZachLowe_NBA and me.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1266489457798234112?s=21
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Still the 65+ games or whatever it was is substantial. Those teams have no room to complain, you are what your record says. The Pels are probably a bit skewed because they didn’t have Zion, but they have also had a bunch of bad losses even with Zion. Just a young team.

Those teams will have to accept things if it’s just top 8. They had more than enough time to get the 8 seed.

Yes injuries play a role, but that’s part of the game. Even Memphis had to stay afloat without Clarke and JJJ.

Quote:
Owners are largely planning to pledge support for Silver's final recommedation on a plan, which teams expect to include invitations for 20-to-22 teams to resume the season, sources tell @ramonashelburne, @ZachLowe_NBA and me.

I posted a few pages back that they should have a "wild card round" for the 4 teams on the bubble. Winner faces Memphis in a 3 game series. The 8 teams in the east were already locked in when the season stopped in March, IMO.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Quote:

Let's see how they handle the 8th seed and play-in tournament. Memphis should be given some advantage here, given that it would be unfair to straight up assign more value to a limited number of games taking place in this sure to be weird setup in Orlando (and of course coming off a long break). I'm already despising Zion and the Pels for how hard the NBA is going to go out of its way to help them for years to come.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

I watched a little soccer this morning with no fans and now Nascar with no fans. I didn’t even notice that there weren’t fans. Maybe NBA with no fans won’t be bad.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Could someone clarify the TV contract minimums? Does every individual team have to play 70 games in the regular-season to fulfill the contract or can they fulfill it with any combination of 70x30 teams=210 games? Even then, can they consider a playin in place of a regular season game?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I watched a little soccer this morning with no fans and now Nascar with no fans. I didn’t even notice that there weren’t fans. Maybe NBA with no fans won’t be bad.

Pump in some fake crowd noise and keep the camera angles on the court and it will just be like another NBA game.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Quote:

Let's see how they handle the 8th seed and play-in tournament. Memphis should be given some advantage here, given that it would be unfair to straight up assign more value to a limited number of games taking place in this sure to be weird setup in Orlando (and of course coming off a long break). I'm already despising Zion and the Pels for how hard the NBA is going to go out of its way to help them for years to come.

Well we traded them all our youth, so we helped them too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Could someone clarify the TV contract minimums? Does every individual team have to play 70 games in the regular-season to fulfill the contract or can they fulfill it with any combination of 70x30 teams=210 games? Even then, can they consider a playin in place of a regular season game?

They are talking about regional TV contracts, such as the Spectrum contract. The Clippers and Fox Sports are another example. Not all teams have minimums, such as the Lakers. But many do, the teams have been paid and would have to give back money for games less than 70. That is why just jumping into a 16 team playoffs might not pass a vote, unless the league agrees to pay give back money. Just my opinion but coming back while not allowing players to play into game shape would be a bad idea. Imagine jumping into the playoffs and Lebron and AD getting injured because they weren’t in game shape. And if bringing all teams back is so dangerous, why are they even coming back?

Regarding the Disney facility, I read that the players aren’t thrilled because of the accommodations. The writer said that he got upgraded there and the room was similar to a Motel 6 room.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 97 of 130
Jump to: