Which titles did you enjoy more: 2000-02 or 2009-10?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Which titles did you enjoy more: 2000-02 or 2009-10?

Which title team(s) did you enjoy more: the 2000-2002 dynasty led by Shaq and Kobe, or the 2009-2010 grouping, led by Kobe and Pau?

Maybe it's been discussed here before. But I think it'd be fun to see what people say.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject:

I think 2000-2002 felt more epic in my opinion, coming back the way we did in game 7 vs a stacked Trailblazers team was awesome en route to beating Reggie Miller’s Pacers. 2001- 15-1 postseason was impressive as hell and beating AI’s 76ers was great. The storylines and animosity between the Kings and Lakers in the WCF 2002 was prolific, so many grudges there and the series felt like it could go either way down to the last possession. Horry’s timeless shot is one for the ages. Shaq’s “Cheers” inspired mockery song was classic as well as his “Queens” nickname he gave them. The Nets were a joke. The one title that means more in my eyes is in 2010 against the Celtics, given the obvious history. Watching Kobe and Shaq destroy the competition was a thing of beauty though in the early 2000s
Ironicles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject:

To me it was 2009-2010, after losing to Boston in 2008, 2010 was so sweet, that was my favorite one.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject:

00-02

chick

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject:

Yes
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which titles did you enjoy more: 2000-02 or 2009-10?

madsen35 wrote:
Maybe it's been discussed here before. .

You think?
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I agree with the person above me who said 00-02 felt more epic. To me and my high school friends, those Lakers felt destined to win every game they played. It was never a question of "if", but "by how much" and "which opponents would Shaq and Kobe thoroughly humiliate in the process". No cable TV at home meant I was only able to catch a couple regular season games, so that scarcity made the entire experience of the playoffs and finals much more special to me.

Still, I prefer the 09 &10 title runs. I'd watched pretty much every game since the 05-06 season, so by the time they became contenders I felt like a part of the team, and not just a fan along for the ride like the threepeat.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
I agree with the person above me who said 00-02 felt more epic. To me and my high school friends, those Lakers felt destined to win every game they played. It was never a question of "if", but "by how much" and "which opponents would Shaq and Kobe thoroughly humiliate in the process". No cable TV at home meant I was only able to catch a couple regular season games, so that scarcity made the entire experience of the playoffs and finals much more special to me.

Still, I prefer the 09 &10 title runs. I'd watched pretty much every game since the 05-06 season, so by the time they became contenders I felt like a part of the team, and not just a fan along for the ride like the threepeat.

The late 2000 Lakers are probably one of the weakest back to back title teams. Almost knocked out of the 2009 semifinals by the Rockets without McGrady and Yao. Needed seven games to beat a 50 win Celtics team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject:

As great as 09 was, beating Dwight wasn’t as much fun as beating Lebron or Boston would have been.

Even the Showtime Lakers never won 3 in a row so that makes 2000-2002 even more special.

And there were some amazing winning streaks. The 2000 team had winning streaks of 7, 11, 16 and 19 in a row. The 11 game winning streak ended when Shaq missed a game. It looked like the team might win 70 despite having Kobe miss 16 games and Shaq miss 3 games.

The 2001 team winning 19 in a row including 11 playoff games was even more fun to watch once they got it going.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Ironicles wrote:
To me it was 2009-2010, after losing to Boston in 2008, 2010 was so sweet, that was my favorite one.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject:

As much fun as the Portland series was, I wanted to see a series with the Jazz so badly in 2000. I thought it would have been the reverse of what we saw when Utah was 8-1 in the playoffs against our team in 1997 and 1998. I’ve seen a few people say the 2000 Jazz could take the 2000 Lakers and Shaq made a bizarre comment about trying to avoid playing Utah in the playoffs. I have no idea which season Shaq is talking about and it makes no sense. Shaq does say some weird/dumb stuff so I just think this is another example of that.

We didn’t get to see a series with the Spurs in 2000 either because Duncan was injured. I wasn’t worried about playing the Suns at all.

But I still enjoyed the Sacramento, Portland and Indiana series. Winning game 6 against the Pacers at home was nice. The next 3 titles were won on the road. The next championship won at home was against Boston.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject:

The finals in 00-02 were so anti-climatic. All the hardwork was done in the Western conference playoffs. I honestly didn't enjoy 2010 much since it was ugly basketball, lots of bricks by both teams. They're all satisfying because of winning of course, but 88 finals still sticks out in my memory. It had it all! Down 2-3 going home. Needing to win both games 6 and 7 at the forum. Be the first to win back to back in a long while. Isiah Thomas giving us the business on one leg. Yet we prevailed and made history. Nothing beats 88 for me.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Definitely the 3 peat teams. My interest in the NBA has steadily gone down with each passing year since then, for various reasons, so I may be bias.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject:

All of them
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

I am grateful for the titles with Shaq & Kobe, but the ones without Shaq are more meaningful to me because Kobe did it as the #1 option, not the 1B option.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which titles did you enjoy more: 2000-02 or 2009-10?

activeverb wrote:
madsen35 wrote:
Maybe it's been discussed here before. .

You think?

Took a long break from the board for a number of years, so I apologize. But I figure not much else is going on anyway, lol...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject:

99-2002 we were witnessing a dynasty and we knew it. There were some great rivalries in those years and our dominance was GOAT level... but for me, watching Kobe do it on his own without Shaq was so much more gratifying after all those years of Chris Mihm, Chucky Atkins, Smush Parker, Jumaine Jones, Laron Profit, etc. I was always team Kobe and IMO those years were his coronation as an all time great and my greatest of all time.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject:

NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject:

There was nothing more satisfying in my lifetime of being a Lakers fan than winning a world championship against Boston in 2010. The satisfaction I got from that ring was on a much higher level than the other four titles.

Especially the way we did it in Game 7. I feel like that comeback win vs Boston isn't lionized enough.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

People were doubting if Kobe could win without Shaq. But in 2000 and especially before 2000, the media was questioning if Shaq could ever win a title at all. There were so many other stars that never won a ring at the time. It had already been 12 years since the last championship and if Shaq didn’t win, I was concerned it would be a while before we saw another ring. I missed Showtime and had no idea at the time that Kobe would win 5, or even 1.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject:

2009-2010

As a Pacers fan I rather not relive 2000..
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject:

The 09 team is my favorite, but the 01 team was the best/most dominant. So I'd go with those two.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject:

I liked both 2001 and 2009. I don't need no steenking drama. However, probably the 3peat. 3 > 2 and Chick was still there for all of 00-01 and a bit of 02 and the Gm 7s and the Gm 4 in 02 and some of those Spurs gms were epix. The repeat had some of those feelins n flavaz, too, but 3peat had a few more and some bigger. Beating Smelts always good, but no one kids themselves about that being a 1980s like battle. We got more variety in the repeat. The 3peat felt partly epic because we played POR 3x, SA 2x, and SAC 3x. That'll build up a lot of spite real quick. Matter fact, was tired of Port and Sac after the first year, but it is what it is. All of them wore black unis which added to the homogeneous feel. Least in the repeat we didn't have to endure all the incessant crying about the reffing.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
2009-2010

As a Pacers fan I rather not relive 2000..

Might've been closer if Reggie didn't wet the bed in Gm 1. Had you ever seen him have an important game like that before?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: