Dion Waiters Officially a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
activeverb wrote:

My confusion remains after re-reading. Why put Waiters in the starting lineup?

Lakers need to regain the focus and chemistry they had in March. Not "try new things" with the starting five IMO. .

Well, the guy who was our starting point guard in March is sitting out the bubble, so we have to try something new.

Bradley was never the ball handler or playmaker. His strength and role was high energy defense in the starting lineup.

James was and is the PG and playmaker on this team. Kind of why he averaged 10 assts per game and Bradley 1.3 assists.

Just for arguments sake, on a Shaq and Kobe team, would you have started J.R Rider to take the ball out of Kobe's hands?

The way this season has gone, I should just keep my mouth shut because Waiters will likely be in the starting lineup tonight.

i dont know if you watched games this year but the top teams have multiple ball handlers and initiators
rockets: harden/Westbrook
Clippers: Kawhi/PG/Lou

prefer Waiters over brick city of KCP and D Green
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Lakers need to regain the focus and chemistry they had in March. Not "try new things" with the starting five IMO. .

Well, the guy who was our starting point guard in March is sitting out the bubble, so we have to try something new.

Bradley was never the ball handler or playmaker. His strength and role was high energy defense in the starting lineup.

James was and is the PG and playmaker on this team. Kind of why he averaged 10 assts per game and Bradley 1.3 assists.

Just for arguments sake, on a Shaq and Kobe team, would you have started J.R Rider to take the ball out of Kobe's hands?

The way this season has gone, I should just keep my mouth shut because Waiters will likely be in the starting lineup tonight.

i dont know if you watched games this year but the top teams have multiple ball handlers and initiators

Watch a lot of games. Lakers roster is not built that way. They are built around Davis and James.

James has been ball dominant his entire career. But especially in recent years. When he alienated Irving and traded away "ball handlers" last year. In free agency it was not addressed other then Rondo, Caruso and Quinn.

Yet now with six games until perhaps the most competive 1-8 of playoff teams ever assembled, the plan is to get a ballhandler into the lineup to help James?

Lakers made their choices. Now they live with them. Starts with James and Davis playing like MVP candidates each and every game. The rest of the roster is just along for the ride.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Watch a lot of games. Lakers roster is not built that way. They are built around Davis and James.

James has been ball dominant his entire career. But especially in recent years. When he alienated Irving and traded away "ball handlers" last year. In free agency it was not addressed other then Rondo, Caruso and Quinn.

Yet now with six games until perhaps the most competive 1-8 of playoff teams ever assembled, the plan is to get a ballhandler into the lineup to help James?

Lakers made their choices. Now they live with them. Starts with James and Davis playing like MVP candidates each and every game. The rest of the roster is just along for the ride.

We did not add players whose primary skill is ball handling. We added two guys on our team (Dion & JR) who are able to create off the dribble. Outside of Kuzma - the team did not have that skill set at all. We have a plethora of guys (KCP, Danny Green, & JR) who can shoot but we didn't have a lot of guys who can create off the dribble.

We're incorporating two new players and we haven't shot well - yet we were up in the fourth against the Raptors. Guys have to play better than they have so far - I'm glad we're going through this adversity now.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:

We did not add players whose primary skill is ball handling. We added two guys on our team (Dion & JR) who are able to create off the dribble. Outside of Kuzma - the team did not have that skill set at all. We have a plethora of guys (KCP, Danny Green, & JR) who can shoot but we didn't have a lot of guys who can create off the dribble.

We're incorporating two new players and we haven't shot well - yet we were up in the fourth against the Raptors. Guys have to play better than they have so far - I'm glad we're going through this adversity now.

We actually had Rondo, but waiters and AC are doing a. Good job
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Dion is the perfect bench, instant offense guy. Has had moments through the first three games. The guy the Lakers did not have, which is a guy that can generate his own offense for the second unit. It gave LBJ/AD a small break in the second half and made a big difference.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I enjoy when he comes in with Alex.
That defense is pretty interesting.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject:

with #1 locked the next 5 games are for experiment.period
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I think we could use him in closing lineups - his handle and ability to create is a life saver. And his defense is solid, hell without Bradley, he might be our best option to defend teams that have two scoring guards.

If he could knock down threes just a tad better, would be a no brainer.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
I think we could use him in closing lineups - his handle and ability to create is a life saver. And his defense is solid, hell without Bradley, he might be our best option to defend teams that have two scoring guards.

If he could knock down threes just a tad better, would be a no brainer.

If KCP isn't hitting, that might be a move to make.
However, DW does get a little OC at times.
We need him to rein it in during the next few games in preparation for the playoffs.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Waiters is no initiator though. He creates for himself.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

love this guy

we've all been there: stoned out of our minds on a plane, so much so that the thing has to be bleeping grounded, notwithstanding that the thing probably had some top notch munchies and movies to alleviate such paranoias

he's a man's man, a bubble cheese's bubble cheese, a warrior's warrior, an upper middle-class's oj mayo

you can bet your bottom dollar that I've already purchased three jerseys of his, one in each color, including the purple jersey that we may well never see in an actual game -- yes that one, with the black stripes on the side, even that one
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Since he’s the newcomer, I’ll put this here:

Quote:
The advanced metrics through 3 games for the Caruso + Waiters + Kuzma lineup combination is absurd.

33 minutes:

135.2 OffRTG
78.7 DefRTG
+56.5 NetRTG

https://twitter.com/vkillem/status/1290697743317385216?s=21
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Dude better have his head in this, has to be a net plus against that Blazer backcourt which all their guys can erupt for 30 plus.

If Dion is the LG proclaimed LouWill Stopper then at the minimum be a Trent Jr. Neutralizer.
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Not as high on Dion as everyone else due to his defense. Lillard will abuse him if he draws that assignment. I’d have him guard CJ but even then, CJ is a smart ball handler. Dion should always be with Caruso. He can provide the offense and AC can be assigned the best guard on the floor. A lineup of AC, Dion, Bron, Kuz and Dwight should be a good unit. A good balance of offense and defense. I’m surprised that Vogel didn’t utilize it.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I don’t know if you watched the clippers this season but Lou has struggled to fit in with Paul and Kawhi.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Watching Ja cut through the Portland defense gives me hope for Dion. He doesn’t have Morant potential, but he’s similar around the rim.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

We need Dion to step up big-time because Dame & CJ are capable of going off at anytime, from anywhere.

Dion Waiters is going to be important in the potential Los Angeles Lakers-Portland Trail Blazers series.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2020/08/15/los-angeles-lakers-dion-waiters-key-portland/
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject:

I would start him at this point... It would be nice to have another guy who can beat his man off the dribble next to Lebron. Also he can make Dame/CJ work on defense.

AD
Morris
Lebron
Green
Waiters

Have a 2nd unit of

Howard
Lebron
Kuz
KCP
Caruso
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject:

He needs limited minutes at best this series. This is the one team where I think he’s near unplayable unless he suddenly becomes passable on defense. I truly believe LeBron doesn’t want him out there. Him and Vogel both see that he’s a defensive sieve. He was a -3 in 1 minute because he left Melo wide open to end the half. Wish he was better defensively. We could really use him.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject:

Unleash Dion
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Agree - can’t deal with KCP and Green, Vogel doesn’t have the balls but would love to see it.

I think Kuz starting would also work
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject:

kinda disappointed Vogel isnt giving Waiters more run. He's the perfect player to put in the game when Lebron is on the bench with his ability to attack the hoop
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
kinda disappointed Vogel isnt giving Waiters more run. He's the perfect player to put in the game when Lebron is on the bench with his ability to attack the hoop

I know what you mean. Watching Ja cut through the Portland defense and knowing Dion can do the same. He’ll get his chances though. Every series is different and every game is different. Caruso had an amazing game last night. He’s the most impactful defender in the playoffs for the entire NBA. Kuzma is second. Vogel is a defensive coach. That pretty much sums it up.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

He is a break glass in case of emergency player.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

He is a break glass in case of emergency player.

I have no idea what put JR in front of him. Dion is such a better player then him at this point and it's not even close, especially for this series.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28
Jump to: