AD!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: AD!

I am wondering if anyone would still rather have the young players instead of AD now?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Not sure what to tell anyone who would still rather have the kids. The Lakers gave up a lot to get him, yet games like last night show just how lopsided that trade actually was.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Honestly, for anyone that was ever against giving up our young guys for AD, I really don't care what their opinion is.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
youcantguardme
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AD!

PASTOR RILEY wrote:
I am wondering if anyone would still rather have the young players instead of AD now?

Even before the playoffs, fans of other teams are the only ones that would want the Lakers to have the young guys over AD.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AD!

PASTOR RILEY wrote:

Who were actually against the trade?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Having a bright future in the NBA always seems like a good idea but how many teams can keep everyone together, do the pieces fit, will every player turn out as you hoped, can you sustain it without injury....can only think of Golden St. and San Antonio who actually sustained success and only because they have super shrewd front offices....if we can scrape out 2 titles right now....all the losing in the last 8 years or so would've been worth it.....and get AD a young wing star down the road....maybe D. Book, Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum, Dame, Mitchell, Beal

Last edited by Maginka on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AD!

epic_ wrote:
PASTOR RILEY wrote:

Bi back in AD thread and read those quotes on lakers ground net and you will see how upset the many who are still on this site were saying how the pelicans fleeced the lakers
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject:

AD DO...!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I think the only ones upset were the delusional ones who felt we could have somehow traded fewer pieces, when in reality we got a really incredible deal.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AD!

PASTOR RILEY wrote:
epic_ wrote:
PASTOR RILEY wrote:

Bi back in AD thread and read those quotes on lakers ground net and you will see how upset the many who are still on this site were saying how the pelicans fleeced the lakers

Ah. This is gonna be a fun read. Hehe

[edit]
I found when the trade happen:
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=187835&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=16350

There were some bitter posts mixed in with the celebration for sure. Haha.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
AD DO...!

Man, those commercials are ingrained in my head. Prime ticket commercials.
Along with, Stephen, Jack Stephen. We're in The yellow pages.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject:

AD ON DA WAY
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
AD DO...!

Man, those commercials are ingrained in my head. Prime ticket commercials.
Along with, Stephen, Jack Stephen. We're in The yellow pages.

Same here...lol

Jack Stephanovich
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject:

Lakers gave up a lot to get AD.

Ingram - an all-star caliber wing in his prime
Ball - A great court vision PG, with some flaws ala Rondo
Hart - A solid backup wing

Draft picks.

But the thing is, those pieces were not going to put the Lakers into contention anytime soon, especially around Lebron. It would have meant waiting for a few more years, and by that time, Lebron is in year 19-20. It is amazing we are even getting this from Lebron in year 17, and we would not be, if not for AD being able to carry the D and O the way he has this past year.

I did not have anything against a longterm plan, if the longterm plan had at least one guy who could be THAT guy. You know the Luke Doncic of the team. Or even the Jokic. We simply do not have that player - when we talk about the young guys (including who we kept like Kuz). They are not that #1 guy on O or D you can build your O or D around.

Hence for me, giving them up for a chance at winning rings around top top 5 players in the NBA was too hard to resist. Plus, historically, as a Laker fan, I have strong bias for that model. It was Jerry Buss model. One elite big, one elite guard. Even before Buss, Wilt and Jerry West. Then Kareem and Magic. Then Shaq and Kobe. Then, Pau and Kobe. AD and Lebron, just had that similar feel to those great combos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lakers gave up a lot to get AD.

Ingram - an all-star caliber wing in his prime
Ball - A great court vision PG, with some flaws ala Rondo
Hart - A solid backup wing

Draft picks.

But the thing is, those pieces were not going to put the Lakers into contention anytime soon, especially around Lebron. It would have meant waiting for a few more years, and by that time, Lebron is in year 19-20. It is amazing we are even getting this from Lebron in year 17, and we would not be, if not for AD being able to carry the D and O the way he has this past year.

I did not have anything against a longterm plan, if the longterm plan had at least one guy who could be THAT guy. You know the Luke Doncic of the team. Or even the Jokic. We simply do not have that player - when we talk about the young guys (including who we kept like Kuz). They are not that #1 guy on O or D you can build your O or D around.

Hence for me, giving them up for a chance at winning rings around top top 5 players in the NBA was too hard to resist. Plus, historically, as a Laker fan, I have strong bias for that model. It was Jerry Buss model. One elite big, one elite guard. Even before Buss, Wilt and Jerry West. Then Kareem and Magic. Then Shaq and Kobe. Then, Pau and Kobe. AD and Lebron, just had that similar feel to those great combos.
If Lakers win it all this year they will be the favorite next season and I don’t think they will have any trouble tweaking the team in the off season, because there will be other veterans who will desire to want to be on the team and win a championship as was DH, don’t minimize the culture of the team that is being built others will desire that as well.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject:

Hard to argue the results of the trade. Especially when riding the emotional highs of the WCFs and a game winner. Davis’ season arguably DPOY and MVP worthy. Results matter.

My opinion stands the same. Lakers have taken the win now approach...

So win now!

Bury the Nuggets tonight and keep moving towards that next ring.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject:

Eh. If we win the title this year, the trade will have paid off. It's looking good right now, but it's not in the bag. Beyond this year, it all depends on Lebron. If he has another year or two at an elite level, we'll still be contenders. If he starts to slip or if he starts getting hurt, we won't. Davis is fine as a #2 guy, but he's not going to lead us to a title without someone else to be the engine for the team.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Eh. If we win the title this year, the trade will have paid off. It's looking good right now, but it's not in the bag. Beyond this year, it all depends on Lebron. If he has another year or two at an elite level, we'll still be contenders. If he starts to slip or if he starts getting hurt, we won't. Davis is fine as a #2 guy, but he's not going to lead us to a title without someone else to be the engine for the team.

This is where I am. We really needed to do more with that $15MM cap space we ultimately used on Danny Green, we need another young talented to piece to grow with AD moving forward because father time is undefeated and AD can't carry a team, he needs a dominant playmaker/wing to contend.

Right now our team is built in a way that requires dominant MVP level Lebron, he slips at all we would be in trouble.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject:

People who want to keep young players

"championships are kinda easy"

If you have an opportunity at even one ring you take it! Ain't nobody got time to sit around wishing upon a star.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject:

What about the ones who didn't want Bron here?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject:

High risk high reward trade, simple as that. Criticize till ur face is blue, it’s still a good trade

Let see,
AD for the farm
Melo for the farm
PG for the farm
KG/Pierce for a farm

AD the only one that’s more than a fair trade

Anybody can try to rain on this, Let’s just say lakers are very happy hahaha!!!

Last edited by governator on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject:

People assume championship windows are easy to create.

I liked BI/Zo a lot. But there was no guarantee that they hit that championship window. Like it or not, the Lakers will always shoot for that championship window.

The good thing is that once LBJ hangs it up, AD will still be around. He may not be an alpha 1A, but he is clearly amongst the top 5 in the NBA right now when you factor in everything including the playoffs, DPOY-level play, 1st team all NBA level play.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's a slam dunk with a title.
Tougher theoretical question is whether it would have been worth it if we go the Finals but don't get a chip. I say yes (putting emotions aside), since fighting for the chip is a *huge* deal AND the FO still has a chance to tweak/improve for next year, tough as it may be.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's a slam dunk with a title.
Tougher theoretical question is whether it would have been worth it if we go the Finals but don't get a chip. I say yes (putting emotions aside), since fighting for the chip is a *huge* deal AND the FO still has a chance to tweak/improve for next year, tough as it may be.

With everything that transpired in 2020, I just can't imagine if the Lakers were still shrouded in mediocrity, which is what I think happens if we only had LBJ as our star. Re-instatjng the fact that the Laker organization still puts winning as their top priority is quite huge imo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: