Daryl Morey out in Houston as GM

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
20,000
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Posts: 29834
Location: Likely nowhere near you

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Daryl Morey out in Houston as GM

Daryl Morey Steps Down as G.M. of the Houston Rockets

Quote:
Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets, is stepping down from his post, according to a person briefed on the decision who was not authorized to discuss it publicly.

The move came after the Rockets were knocked out of the N.B.A. playoffs in the second round and more than a year after Morey shared an image on Twitter in support of pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong. The tweet upended relations between the N.B.A. and the Chinese government. China’s state-run television network did not broadcast any N.B.A. games since then until Game 5 of the N.B.A. finals.

_________________
Courage doesn't always roar.
Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying...'I will try again tomorrow.'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 1089

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject:

I hope they don't hire anyone that can actually build a team around Harden..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 27174

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
I hope they don't hire anyone that can actually build a team around Harden..


I think Morey's teams are the closest thing to Harden winning the chip. It's not going to get better there imo.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 May 2006
Posts: 13087

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject:

The beginning of the end once Tillman bought the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 24742
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Wow that’s really surprising /s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 5407
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject:

Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.
_________________
"We just sat in the locker room and I told the fellas, 'We need to check ourselves, 'cause we're the world champions and we're not out here fighting.'"

- Kobe Bryant on 2/12/2002 after defeating Michael Jordan's Wizards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 7822
Location: San Jose, CA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject:

Are the Lakers now responsible for ending the Daryl Morey era (at least in Houston)?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 23599

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Interesting this comes out right after the NBA is allowed to air in China again...

I'm sure this was a stipulation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 11956

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.

It was (and still is) to the point where people don't even watch the games anymore. Just plug in all of the stats from boxscores to your little formulas, have your little fantasy simulation, and it was already better than watching games.

I am not saying that I;m from the Byron Scott school of thought, I get that it does have value. It was even pretty interesting at first, but its now completely overblown. People got so used to interpreting numbers that they forgot to use their eyes to watch basketball.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 138026
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.


It’s going nowhere, teams will still use analytics to build teams.
_________________
If you could choose between dating a supermodel or going fishing, would it be saltwater or freshwater?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 37946

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject:

The most overrated manager in the history of sports. He was supposed to usher in a new analytic based culture and build winning teams with cheap talent. His approach changed from building with cheap role players to building with overpaid all-stars. No wonder their owner sold the team, he couldn’t afford the overpaid all-stars.
_________________
“God knew they couldn’t be on this Earth without each other. He had to bring them home to heaven together.”

— Vanessa Bryant
https://youtu.be/SX3IZULkWx8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 1396

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.

It was (and still is) to the point where people don't even watch the games anymore. Just plug in all of the stats from boxscores to your little formulas, have your little fantasy simulation, and it was already better than watching games.

I am not saying that I;m from the Byron Scott school of thought, I get that it does have value. It was even pretty interesting at first, but its now completely overblown. People got so used to interpreting numbers that they forgot to use their eyes to watch basketball.


Basketball is not baseball. Analytics is useful under some circumstances but there are too many variables that are not being accurately calculated to have it be the final determinant.

Remember 538 analytics never had the Lakers winning the chip and even when we were up 3-1 still gave us only 65% chance of taking the series. As with any formula garbage in will get you garbage out.

The eye test especially in basketball still has tremendous value depending on whose eyes we are talking about.

Having said all that when your team’s analytics department comes to you and tells you pulling off Montez Harrell swing you from -30 to +10 and you IGNORE that ... the you probably deserve to be fired. 😂😂
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 11956

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.

It was (and still is) to the point where people don't even watch the games anymore. Just plug in all of the stats from boxscores to your little formulas, have your little fantasy simulation, and it was already better than watching games.

I am not saying that I;m from the Byron Scott school of thought, I get that it does have value. It was even pretty interesting at first, but its now completely overblown. People got so used to interpreting numbers that they forgot to use their eyes to watch basketball.


Basketball is not baseball. Analytics is useful under some circumstances but there are too many variables that are not being accurately calculated to have it be the final determinant.

Remember 538 analytics never had the Lakers winning the chip and even when we were up 3-1 still gave us only 65% chance of taking the series. As with any formula garbage in will get you garbage out.

The eye test especially in basketball still has tremendous value depending on whose eyes we are talking about.

Having said all that when your team’s analytics department comes to you and tells you pulling off Montez Harrell swing you from -30 to +10 and you IGNORE that ... the you probably deserve to be fired. 😂😂

Agreed 100%

I still haven’t heard a sufficient explanation as to why 538 Analytics was so wrong on their NBA Playoffs predictions. I’m sure they scrambled to call it an anomaly due to various unforeseen conditions/factors that contributed to it, but who is to say that it won’t happen again? Are their basketball models reliable? I’m sure they are proud of their calculations and stand by their model, but what can be done to better predict something like this in the future?

There’s a place for both watching basketball and analytics. There are serious flaws with relying too heavily on one or the other. Daryl Morey certainly presents an example of one of those extremes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 5407
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Good riddance to analytics and a geek-oriented approach to basketball.


It’s going nowhere, teams will still use analytics to build teams.

Analytics is useful for certain things, but there are so many things in basketball that can't accurately be measured by numbers or formulas.

Basketball is the most visceral sport, and things like PER, +/-, BPM and RPM don't accurately tell the whole story, especially when it comes to defense. Plus, obviously, no number or formula can measure a player's intangibles.
_________________
"We just sat in the locker room and I told the fellas, 'We need to check ourselves, 'cause we're the world champions and we're not out here fighting.'"

- Kobe Bryant on 2/12/2002 after defeating Michael Jordan's Wizards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB