2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers are best served looking for a ballhandling prospect. someone Rondo can bring along and the coaching staff can teach the defense too. Not someone that can play right away, but maybe a year or two from now. Wonder if there would be a player like that in the draft, that late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lakers are best served looking for a ballhandling prospect. someone Rondo can bring along and the coaching staff can teach the defense too. Not someone that can play right away, but maybe a year or two from now. Wonder if there would be a player like that in the draft, that late.

Theoretically, yes. There are several PG prospects that fit that description currently projected in the 25-40 range.

I would love to see them use their scouting prowess to find a young PG to develop as you describe. Potentially a few that could contribute some combo of playmaking, defense or 3pt shooting for 10-15 mpg this season off the bench. Potentially more if they find the right prospect.

But this team is not built to be patient or develop any prospects. It is on a very short win-now window. Like others have mentioned, I expect this pick to be traded. I expect the Lakers to go after a seasoned pro ready to contribute this year.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject:

^I don't see the Lakers wanting to take on a guaranteed contract right now for a late first round pick. My guess is it will be traded, but we shall see.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Theoretically, yes. There are several PG prospects that fit that description currently projected in the 25-40 range.

I would love to see them use their scouting prowess to find a young PG to develop as you describe. Potentially a few that could contribute some combo of playmaking, defense or 3pt shooting for 10-15 mpg this season off the bench. Potentially more if they find the right prospect.

But this team is not built to be patient or develop any prospects. It is on a very short win-now window. Like others have mentioned, I expect this pick to be traded. I expect the Lakers to go after a seasoned pro ready to contribute this year.

They are win now. But if a 72 game season starts in 2 months they'll likely be digging deeper into their bench. They should have no problem landing ring chasing vet min players, but like THT Vogel will play you if you earn it.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
^I don't see the Lakers wanting to take on a guaranteed contract right now for a late first round pick. My guess is it will be traded, but we shall see.

They may use the pick on a European player and stash him overseas for a couple of years.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject:

I simply prefer they choose to use the pick. Add a Jones, Flynn, Winston or ???to develop at PG instead of filling the bench with "ring chasing vets".

For every smart choice there is usually a bad one to offset. Ex: Howard vs Cousins last year. Both signed, one a miraculous successful transformation the other an unsurprising injury and failed season. More hit and miss then we like to admit IMO.

Digging deep into the bench for J.R and Dudley? Or better quality impact players. We shall see.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject:

I simply prefer they choose to use the pick. Add a Jones, Flynn, Winston or ???to develop at PG instead of filling the bench with "ring chasing vets".

For every smart choice there is usually a bad one to offset. Ex: Howard vs Cousins last year. Both signed, one a miraculous successful transformation the other an unsurprising injury and failed season. More hit and miss then we like to admit IMO.

Digging deep into the bench for J.R and Dudley? Or better quality impact players. We shall see.

Cousins is not a miss. He had a season ending injury. Can happen to every player

Jr is not coming back and dudz was the best glue guy on this team
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/CanyonDriver/status/1320047018085998592

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject:

This is the first year in forever I feel like I have no idea on the top guys in the draft. Barely seen any of them.

For us, I would assume we'd be looking at defensive wings. Bane seems perfect, but I see him projected higher.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
This is the first year in forever I feel like I have no idea on the top guys in the draft. Barely seen any of them.

For us, I would assume we'd be looking at defensive wings. Bane seems perfect, but I see him projected higher.

As mentioned earlier on twitter, I have him Top 20.

It's already hard enough to find a productive NBA player at this range.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

Cousins is not a miss. He had a season ending injury. Can happen to every player

You are missing my point.

Relevant to this conversation "digging deep" into the bench means having to play significant mpg to fill in for days off or decreased mpg throughout a longer season for key contributors like James.

Love Dudley's "glue guy" abilities but I don't want to see the Lakers have to rely on him playing 20mpg on any consistent basis over 70 games. Do you?

Similar concerns of the quality of any of the ring chasing vet players. There is a trade off if the Lakers expect to rest James or any other players on a consistent basis. At some point the balance of resting older or oft injured players becomes a factor. Team needs some young legs to absorb some mpg.

It was actually amazing how the Lakers were able to keep James' playoff mpg down. Historically that has not been his track record. The long lay off and bubble were crucial to that result. Next season doesn't look to be the same. Plans have to be adjusted.

How they rebuild this roster and who they add or subtract has to take into account the reduction of playing time and how to fill those mpg with impact players.

Bottom line IMO, give me a young PG to develop. Perfect situation to get results over the course of the longer season. Let the over 30's rest for the playoffs.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:

Relevant to this conversation "digging deep" into the bench means having to play significant mpg to fill in for days off or decreased mpg throughout a longer season for key contributors like James.

Love Dudley's "glue guy" abilities but I don't want to see the Lakers have to rely on him playing 20mpg on any consistent basis over 70 games. Do you?

Similar concerns of the quality of any of the ring chasing vet players. There is a trade off if the Lakers expect to rest James or any other players on a consistent basis. At some point the balance of resting older or oft injured players becomes a factor. Team needs some young legs to absorb some mpg.

It was actually amazing how the Lakers were able to keep James' playoff mpg down. Historically that has not been his track record. The long lay off and bubble were crucial to that result. Next season doesn't look to be the same. Plans have to be adjusted.

How they rebuild this roster and who they add or subtract has to take into account the reduction of playing time and how to fill those mpg with impact players.

Bottom line IMO, give me a young PG to develop. Perfect situation to get results over the course of the longer season. Let the over 30's rest for the playoffs.

with 2 of top 5 guys on the roster we are trying to win now. I have no problem dealing #28 for a guy that can help us win now.

just not D Rose types tough
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject:

As always, go with BPA, despite position.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:

with 2 of top 5 guys on the roster we are trying to win now. I have no problem dealing #28 for a guy that can help us win now.

just not D Rose types tough

But that is exactly the type of player you are talking about filling the roster if you are lucky. And willing to part with multiple assets. Just look at all the trade scenarios or free agent proposals floating around the Forum.

If the season goes 70 games the young players like Kuzma, Caruso, #28 PG, THT (or active vets like Bradley, McGee, KCP) will be quality mpg fillers for all the load management days, groin soreness, hamstring tweeks and knee flare ups that tend to be a part of older players being suggested.

The deeper the team the better. Getting to the playoffs is not enough, getting to the playoffs healthy is.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject:

But that is exactly the type of player you are talking about filling the roster if you are lucky. And willing to part with multiple assets. Just look at all the trade scenarios or free agent proposals floating around the Forum.

If the season goes 70 games the young players like Kuzma, Caruso, #28 PG, THT (or active vets like Bradley, McGee, KCP) will be quality mpg fillers for all the load management days, groin soreness, hamstring tweeks and knee flare ups that tend to be a part of older players being suggested.

The deeper the team the better. Getting to the playoffs is not enough, getting to the playoffs healthy is.

no I am talking about guys like:
Oubre
Luke Kennard
Dejounte Murray

for example
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject:

It's incredibly difficult to find a guy in the lottery that can help a team win right now, nevermind a guy at #28.

I have some ideas as to how that happens, but nothing is 100%, let alone 30% accurate. Otherwise NBA teams would constantly trade down anyway.

AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject:

These two are my personal favs for what the Lakers need which is a consistent 3 point shooter at the 2/3. Both will likely be gone in the top 20 unfortunately.

Perhaps a Kuz + 28 for the 15th pick from Orlando could nab one of these guys.

Aaron Nesmith
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/aaron-nesmith/

Saddiq Bey

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/saddiq-bey/

and pie in the sky would be

Tyrese Halliburton

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/tyrese-haliburton/
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
These two are my personal favs for what the Lakers need which is a consistent 3 point shooter at the 2/3. Both will likely be gone in the top 20 unfortunately.

Aaron Nesmith

Saddiq Bey

Tyrese Halliburton

None are really expected to get past 20.

AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Aaron Nesmith

Saddiq Bey

Tyrese Halliburton

Yeah said they be gone in top 20. That's why I suggest Kuz and 28th to maybe Orlando if Lakers really like one of these guys.

Rookie contract on a team looking to keep pushing for a title the next few years.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
AD23 wrote:

Aaron Nesmith

Saddiq Bey

Tyrese Halliburton

Yeah said they be gone in top 20. That's why I suggest Kuz and 28th to maybe Orlando if Lakers really like one of these guys.

Rookie contract on a team looking to keep pushing for a title the next few years.

Rookie contract that gets more expensive as you go up higher in the draft, and affecting both FA 21 and FA 22.

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Rookie contract that gets more expensive as you go up higher in the draft, and affecting both FA 21 and FA 22.

Totally.

The salary for #28 in years two and three will likely be $1.7M and $1.8M respectively. The roster charge is the rookie minimum which is about $900k. So you lose a bit under a million in cap room in '21 and '22 with the pick over a cap hold. That's tolerable, especially if it's for someone who can fill a role in the back half of the roster.

Pick #17 makes $2.6M and $2.7M in years two and three. So moving up basically doubles that hit.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
According to @AdamZagoria #NBADraft SG Immanuel Quickley has now also interviewed twice with #Lakers (#28), #UtahJazz #Jazz (#23), and #Bucks (#24). Has interviewed with every team in the league except for the #TrailBlazers #Blazers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylecohenNBA/status/1319411014522359814

In a YT vid where they follow him around for a day or 2 in his senior high school year he is very affable with an outgoing personality and I can see why the Lakers would value him as a prospect.

I believe 2 interviews indicates he is a serious consideration at 28.

I see him as a top 5 3pt shooter with the added bonus he plays defense.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject:

My top 5 shooters. Factoring in 3pt, catch and shoot, off pull ups, off screens. The only rank I have is Merrill as number 1.

Sam Merrill
Immanuel Quickley
Desmond Bane
Aaron Nesmith
Saddiq Bey
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
My top 5 shooters. Factoring in 3pt, catch and shoot, off pull ups, off screens. The only rank I have is Merrill as number 1.

Sam Merrill
Immanuel Quickley
Desmond Bane
Aaron Nesmith
Saddiq Bey

meh
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Sam Merrill
Immanuel Quickley
Desmond Bane
Aaron Nesmith
Saddiq Bey

meh

I see your vocabulary is expanding from MF and GTFO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 22 of 48
Jump to: