2020 NBA DRAFT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Spurs run a different philosophy of what BPA is. I think they more intentionally draft international players because international players are more used to adapting to a certain system and succeeding within it, rather than drafting the most talented or most athletic or combination of both, etc.

Best Player Available doesn't necessarily mean highest upside either.

I do have a philosophy when it comes to BPA, especially when it's BPA vs. fit, because the "fit" drafted Laker players from 2000 to 2010 didn't really stick in the league that long, and their riskiest pick in Bynum, was by far the most successful player, despite his shortened career.

Totally agree and that is why BPA is such a vague term as it is highly dependent on those doing the evaluations.

With Vogel does the BPA change if say D''Antonio was the coach? Essentially does the draft philosophy change?

I envision upside as how you project said player to develop into. I clearly see Lonnie Walker differently than Luka Samanic.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject:

If you guys had to guess (assumming these players are available when we pick) who are Pelinka's top 3 targets? or players he wished he could add to this roster.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Spurs run a different philosophy of what BPA is. I think they more intentionally draft international players because international players are more used to adapting to a certain system and succeeding within it, rather than drafting the most talented or most athletic or combination of both, etc.

I do have a philosophy when it comes to BPA, especially when it's BPA vs. fit, because the "fit" drafted Laker players from 2000 to 2010 didn't really stick in the league that long, and their riskiest pick in Bynum, was by far the most successful player, despite his shortened career.

Totally agree and that is why BPA is such a vague term as it is highly dependent on those doing the evaluations.

With Vogel does the BPA change if say D''Antonio was the coach? Essentially does the draft philosophy change?

I envision upside as how you project said player to develop into. I clearly see Lonnie Walker differently than Luka Samanic.

100%. I think when it came to Derrick White, Lonnie Walker, and even DeJounte Murray, those were more traditional "BPA picks."

Worked out well for them. Not every talented European player is NBA ready.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
If you guys had to guess (assumming these players are available when we pick) who are Pelinka's top 3 targets? or players he wished he could add to this roster.

Tough question.

We know they have interviewed Immanuel Quickley (twice) and Desomnd Bane.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:

1. Trade out.
2. Trade down.

Malachi Flynn
Tre Jones
Xavier Tillman

Just guessing.

Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Kansas' Udoka Azubuike registered the highest standing vertical leap in NBA Combine history among centers at 37 inches. Helps partially explain why he had the best career FG% in college basketball history when combined with his incredible length (7'7 1/4 wingspan).

That's pretty crazy
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Kansas' Udoka Azubuike registered the highest standing vertical leap in NBA Combine history among centers at 37 inches. Helps partially explain why he had the best career FG% in college basketball history when combined with his incredible length (7'7 1/4 wingspan).

That's pretty crazy
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

That's pretty crazy

I'm not surprised. I actually have him as a steal in the 2nd and he's still arguably a late 1st.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Practice wrote:

That's pretty crazy

I'm not surprised. I actually have him as a steal in the 2nd and he's still arguably a late 1st.

Vogel's next Roy Hibbert.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I agree BPA is a vague and subjective term and depends on the team environment. Every team will have a different idea of who BPA is - there is no consensus BPA outside of maybe the top 3-4 in most drafts and certainly not in this draft. The simplest way “BPA” makes sense to me is for an individual team to have a rank list regardless of position and pick the highest ranked guy left on their list when it is their turn to pick. But I’m not sure if that’s what actually happens in reality.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject:

Apparently Tyler Bey also had a ridiculous vertical. 6’6 without shoes and 6’7 with shoes and a 7’1 wingspan.

Sounds like a good candidate for our defensive wing.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

I agree BPA is a vague and subjective term and depends on the team environment. Every team will have a different idea of who BPA is - there is no consensus BPA outside of maybe the top 3-4 in most drafts and certainly not in this draft. The simplest way “BPA” makes sense to me is for an individual team to have a rank list regardless of position and pick the highest ranked guy left on their list when it is their turn to pick. But I’m not sure if that’s what actually happens in reality.

I would believe each team would compile a ranked list of prospects. It was also mentioned by either Magic or Pelinka that essentially Jesse Buss does his own mock draft predicting each teams selection and that he is pretty accurate.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Apparently Tyler Bey also had a ridiculous vertical. 6’6 without shoes and 6’7 with shoes and a 7’1 wingspan.

He'd fit in well on this Laker team. He is also a good rebounder which normally translates from college to the NBA.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
scout_0 wrote:

1. Trade out.
2. Trade down.

Malachi Flynn
Tre Jones
Xavier Tillman

Just guessing.

I would be thrilled to see the Lakers pick ( and keep) Flynn or Jones.

Just not sure that can be the plan in the win-now environment. Tend to agree it is most likely moved.

Another PG that could be intriguing is C . Winston.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject:

Are the Knicks stupid enough to trade 8/Frank for kuzma/28

And we pick up k hayes
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Are the Knicks stupid enough to trade 8/Frank for kuzma/28

And we pick up k hayes

New FO and Thibs so No.

Higher salary at 8 may cause problems for 2021.

Trade 28 for 38 and future 2nd or trade with 76ers for 2 2nd rounders.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Practice wrote:

That's pretty crazy

I'm more optimistic for Udoka than that, but honestly, I didn't forget Hibbert's effect on defense for Indiana that year.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Better at 4/3.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Better at 4/3.

Not a bad thing right? Especially if we lose Kieff?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Better at 4/3.

Cannot play small ball C and not a 3pt threat.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Practice wrote:

That's pretty crazy

I'm more optimistic for Udoka than that, but honestly, I didn't forget Hibbert's effect on defense for Indiana that year.

He gave Lebron some problems that year.

Vogel knows how to use big men which is a plus if he becomes a Laker.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Better at 4/3.

I don't expect immediate impact right away especially when I didn't look his predraft shooting overall, not just the makes and misses.

He's one of the ideal candidates when we think of a defensive wing + switchability, and has been playing 4/5 throughout his NCAA career anyway. I'm 100% bought into the measurements, but not bought into his athletic scores because they don't always show in game situations.

Really, his upbringing isn't much different than Ariza, Harkless, Roberson and other project wing types that played 4 at the NCAA level, can't/couldn't shoot, and have the athletic ability.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Okay I am off wanting Nnaji at 28. I have turned to Riller or Joe.

Riller's attacking style is exactly what the Lakers need and he is plus in this respect. Best prospect in this draft with this skill. He is also ready to play

Joe's shooting/defensive potential elevates him above other similar prospects who are more one trick ponies.

A lot of input by Mike ( a t ) LG in this thread about these 2 and everything mentioned just seems to fit for the Lakers.
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject:

If we clear up some of our guard depth, Riller would be a nice pick otherwise let’s k SF or C if we lose Dwight😩
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
If we clear up some of our guard depth, Riller would be a nice pick otherwise let’s k SF or C if we lose Dwight😩

Apparently his recent listed height may be 6'1 or 6'2. Haven't decided if that really bothers me, but the flat shot really does. It really depends on who is leftover because basically 18 to 34 or so feels like relatively the same tier of talent.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 27 of 48
Jump to: