Woj: Harden traded to Brooklyn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

The core, Harden, Durant and Kyrie is easily the most 'talent' in the East.

If healthy they'd get to the finals on talent alone. They lost some depth but they have three superstars now. If they'd kept Allen it would have been even worse for The East.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Poor Nash
JaggedJimmyJay1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I think this makes the Nets stronger in the short-term, particularly in the playoffs. They made a move that nearly any franchise makes I think. They're closer to championship contention than they were yesterday.

They don't have much time to gel though, especially while Kyrie is out doing god knows what. The Lakers are a better team top-to-bottom; of that I have little doubt. The Nets aren't to be underestimated though. Depth is overrated in the postseason.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Welp D'Antoni gets to now implement an offense using Kyrie, Harden and Durant.

What the Nets will miss the most is Dimwiddie as their 6th man.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Currently, Nets roster with Harden trade:
Kevin Durant
James Harden
Kyrie Irving
DeAndre Jordan
Joe Harris
Landry Shamet
Tyler Johnson
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
Jeff Green
Bruce Brown
Nic Claxton
Reggie Perry
Chris Chiozza
Spencer Dinwiddie
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject:

If Dinwiddie is healthy, I can't imagine him being happy having to play behind/with these superstars.. well winning a ring is a good consolation, but still
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject:

you all realize this makes Brooklyn the poster child for the "no defense" guard tandem, right?
Kyrie & Har*en don't play a lick of defense at all.

And we all just saw in the playoffs that defense wins when it counts

This move reminds me of old Denver teams and all D'Antoni teams "we'll beat other teams by outscoring them - we don't need to play defense"
Never worked before.

I'll take AD over KD at this point although this is close
Lebron vs Harden is even more of a joke
Kyrie vs any of our guards is probably going to lead to a very frustrated Kyrie.

I don't think this Nets team can even beat Giannis in a series
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

We don't have anyone to guard KD or Harden. We can't even guard Pandemic P or Gary Trent Jr.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
We don't have anyone to guard KD or Harden. We can't even guard Pandemic P or Gary Trent Jr.

We have AD to guard KD
LBJ & our guards just shutdown Harden - not to mention shutting him down in the playoffs too.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

We have AD to guard KD
LBJ & our guards just shutdown Harden - not to mention shutting him down in the playoffs too.

Harden shut himself down by gaining 30 lbs and not trying. We have two stars but they have three. That's still an issue.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

We have AD to guard KD

Harden shut himself down by gaining 30 lbs and not trying. We have two stars but they have three. That's still an issue.

You are ignoring the fact that we also shut Harden's ass down about 90 days ago in the playoffs, when Harden was in shape. Even THT, in his rookie year and called up from the g-league, took a shot at covering Harden and did very well.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

KD is the x-factor in that situation.

He's the one that relentlessly does what he does vs LeBron in the Finals.

So that means we need to have LeBron ready and we need to be clicking on all cilinders. from a talent standpoint, Harden, Kyrie and KD are going to negate a lot of their lack of depth especially when healthy.

We have to count on the defense on our team as a whole which has been solid as of late. So this is where Vogel is going to be earning his defensive coaching chops.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
P.K. wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

We have AD to guard KD

You are ignoring the fact that we also shut Harden's ass down about 90 days ago in the playoffs, when Harden was in shape. Even THT, in his rookie year and called up from the g-league, took a shot at covering Harden and did very well.

That's some elementary level evaluation just lazily saying 3 stars vs. 2 = us being in trouble...

Chemistry and how the rosters mix and compliment each other is vital if you want to win an actual Championship. We matchup extremely well with them not to mention having the 2 best players in the series (Durant is absolutely right there though and could move up depending how he looks by the Playoffs). I want to see them buy in and actually play defense for a stretch and compliment each other on the offensive end outside of taking turns doing iso.

Then you add the fact Kyrie is mentally all over the place and clearly not focused on just basketball, will that change by seasons end? Very possibly but it's def. a big question mark. Then you have Harden who is in awful shape and has to get right again both mentally and physically by seasons end which is very likely but still another hurdle. Then you have Durant still just coming off his extreme injury. Then a mostly offense dominant coaching staff, how is there defense going to realistically look by the Playoffs?

We have already seen glimpses of the Lakers absolutely dominating on both ends with Lebron and AD having the extreme luxury of currently having the best record in the NBA while not even having to play extreme minutes. We know what we have works and will only get better now with time. While the Nets have a team that looks amazing on paper but a lot of there strengths intertwine so there will be some major sacrifice needed and it's def. not a given that will happen when you're talking about guys like Harden and Kyrie.

Like you said throw AD on Durant with Lebron able to cover him as well. Then we have a slew of guards that can make life tough on Kyrie and Harden. Kuz even did a really solid job on him last year at times. We also have the depth to help keep our superstars fresh so they don't have to absolutely kill themselves to win any game against good teams.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Kyrie "all over the place" still averages 27/5/6 on 50% from the Field and 42% from three.

An in shape Harden added to he and KD is a threat if all three are healthy. There's no way they aren't. So we just have to get ready for either them or The Celtics.
SumminFunny
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, I'm pretty scared of the Nets.

Yes, defense wins championships and we're still the favorites. However, we're talking about KD, Kyrie, and Harden. Durant already looks like he hasn't lost a step!

Yes, Harden and Kyrie are mental cases. To be honest, It doesn't matter. If this team is healthy and just half way decent they can half *ss it into the eastern conference finals. To make matters even more terrifying, If they're actually motivated ...it's going to be really tough.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

We've seen these Brooklyn Nets before.

https://twitter.com/KobeSexuaI/status/1349465637094117376

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Bring em on, so the Lakers can enjoy whooping them in the Finals. Hope they hype the f out of the Nets.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject:

This is going to be a disaster for the Nets
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I have no respect for this era's players. Don't like your team or its chances...no problem, just go to another one. WEAK!!!
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject:

This is great for the NBA.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject:

Durant looks good!

I don't know about Harden and Irving. Those guys checked out, mentally.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject:

They sure have the talent to score a lot of points very quickly. How they mesh and defend - we will see. They all can defend if they want to...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
I have no respect for this era's players. Don't like your team or its chances...no problem, just go to another one. WEAK!!!

Would you have hated it if the contracts were the way they were nowadays in the 80s, and Jordan frustrated with the Bulls not winning a Championship went to the Lakers in Free Agency to pair with Magic and Kareem?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kwase wrote:

Would you have hated it if the contracts were the way they were nowadays in the 80s, and Jordan frustrated with the Bulls not winning a Championship went to the Lakers in Free Agency to pair with Magic and Kareem?

For one, I was not an fan of MJ's during the 80's, so I wouldn't have wanted him on the Lakers taking all the shots and hogging the ball. Secondly MJ has addressed this issue. He said he never wanted to play with Magic or Isaiah, he wanted to beat them. That's how real men who are competitors think. That's why IMO Kobe and Duncan are the last great players in the NBA...well that and the league is soft as cotton now. I hate to say it, but it's becoming unwatchable. There used to be a time when the players had true positions. Now everybody is just jacking up 3's and nobody plays defense. There are no more rivalries because everybody is all buddy buddy, and players don't stay on teams long enough to develop a rivalry. I hope it changes when this crop of players retires and we get a new culture. I hate Portland, but I respect Dame for being loyal. And it's not about the owner of the team....it's about the fans and the city. The media always wants to say "Player empowerment era". There's absolutely nothing empowering about it...it's weak.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
MJST wrote:
kwase wrote:

For one, I was not an fan of MJ's during the 80's, so I wouldn't have wanted him on the Lakers taking all the shots and hogging the ball. Secondly MJ has addressed this issue. He said he never wanted to play with Magic or Isaiah, he wanted to beat them. That's how real men who are competitors think. That's why IMO Kobe and Duncan are the last great players in the NBA...well that and the league is soft as cotton now. I hate to say it, but it's becoming unwatchable. There used to be a time when the players had true positions. Now everybody is just jacking up 3's and nobody plays defense. There are no more rivalries because everybody is all buddy buddy, and players don't stay on teams long enough to develop a rivalry. I hope it changes when this crop of players retires and we get a new culture. I hate Portland, but I respect Dame for being loyal. And it's not about the owner of the team....it's about the fans and the city. The media always wants to say "Player empowerment era". There's absolutely nothing empowering about it...it's weak.

Kind of easy to say that when you have a powerhouse yourself and are dominating the league though. Why would Jordan leave the Bulls once he hit his prime and had the NBA's best coach along with a great supporting cast?

I agree some players moving are weak but there's also a ton of franchises who aren't doing there part to put a winning product on the court next to some of the best players in the NBA.

Dame is super loyal and it's cool to see but there's pretty much zero chance he's ever winning a Championship in Portland imo.

You're kind of coming off like the people who say Music is trash now or they don't make movies like they used to when in fact there's more talent and great content out there then ever. Nothing will beat that "nostalgia" factor of the past for most though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: