Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Bad balls and strikes calls are reaching critical mass. It's out of control. I can't believe there are actually people who still want these to be rendered as judgment calls.

Those umps got a strong union.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Some horrific ABs today....we need an insurance run or SD might steal this and avoid the sweep.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Graterol just doesn't have a breaking ball. And though he throws 100 and gets a lot of weak contact, his fastball doesn't have much movement, which is why he doesn't strike many guys out. He has to develop that secondary pitch.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Going to take a lot for us to win this one. We can’t seem to get on base.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Seager has become borderline atrocious at short stop this year.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

- Seager with the error. Yeah, his defense is definitely a weakness.

- Turner, Seager and McKinstry have been bad defensively this year.

- What’s up with our relievers having control issues everytime they come in? That walk hurt us, it got Profar into scoring position. Tatis is struggling, no reason to nibble against him.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

I had a feeling we would beat ourselves in one of these games..I guess we escaped game 1. I’m not convinced the Padres are any good..the games are intense but that’s about it. We should be able to handle these chumps easily.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
- Seager with the error. Yeah, his defense is definitely a weakness.

- Turner, Seager and McKinstry have been bad defensively this year.

- What’s up with our relievers having control issues everytime they come in?

Danny is super wild with the fastball but pretty decent with the slider. Still it be nice to have a couple guys that can come in and not start with a 2-0 count.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

And that's why Seager will not get $300MM from us. Just not happening. If he loses even a little bit of his effectiveness at the plate, the contract becomes downright horrific.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Bauer didn’t have his best stuff but he pitched an incredible game. Made 1 mistake to Cronenworth. We got a jump start from CT3 and fell asleep at the wheel. Rather than go for the kill we were lenient. Snell got into tons of 3 ball counts and we couldn’t take advantage.

Bright side is we probably score in the double digits our next game.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Defensive indifference, Padres get another free base. Yeah they are just running all over us.

And they cash in that defensive indifference. Why defensive indifference?

Why does SD run all over us but we refuse to run?

Yeah, Santana is not a high leverage guy because he has zero control. He got lucky the other day and they went back to him and got burned.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Defensive indifference, Padres get another free base. Yeah they are just running all over us.

Yeah, Santana is not a high leverage guy because he has zero control. He got lucky the other day and they went back to him and got burned.

In a huge game, he wouldn't have been in there, and neither would Graterol have been, not on his season debut, anyway. I thought maybe they'd go to Knebel for that 7th with the top of the order up, given that's a tough spot to throw Graterol into, but oh well. Alexander did a really nice job, and he's going to get saddled with the loss because of Seager's error. That entire inning is on Seager. Not Santana.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

In a huge game, he wouldn't have been in there, and neither would Graterol have been, not on his season debut, anyway. I thought maybe they'd go to Knebel for that 7th with the top of the order up, given that's a tough spot to throw Graterol into, but oh well. Alexander did a really nice job, and he's going to get saddled with the loss because of Seager's error. That entire inning is on Seager. Not Santana.

You’re right but we can’t ignore Dave making the move to Santana hoping to repeat the magic from game 1 of the series, or to throw Graterol in such a high leverage situation. And we definitely can’t overlook that awful pitch Santana threw to Hosmer with 2 outs.

Players make errors all the time and sometimes you crumble but a lot of times the pitching staff can bail you out too. All things considered we could have gotten out of that but Santana threw a horrible inning. Not all on Seager, no.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
In a huge game, he wouldn't have been in there, and neither would Graterol have been, not on his season debut, anyway.

Yeah I don’t know what qualifies as a huge game in the regular season but we did shift our rotation around to face them for this 3 game series and the next 4 game series at Dodger stadium. Big difference between a 2-1 series win and a 3-0 series sweep.

Quote:
That entire inning is on Seager. Not Santana.

Seager made the error, yes. We can get on Seager for his bad defense. However, once Profar got on base, it became a high leverage situation. Bottom of the 8th, 2-2 game, runner on 1st, one out.

Tatis, Machado, Hosmer up.

Roberts went with Santana so it was up to Santana to get 2 outs. Walking Tatis hurt because it put Profar in scoring position. Tatis is struggling at the moment. Make him beat you.

I can’t let Santana off the hook because Seager made an error.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

^
You can't make an error on a routine play that I make 95 out of 100 times. A major league shortstop can't be making an error on a routine play like that. You get it if there's any type of difficulty to the play, but there was none. Gave them an extra out and that's what they needed. As for Hosmer's base hit, that was a bad matchup for Santana, and in a big game there's no way he's in that spot. Dave probably wanted to get Knebel and Jansen further rest and just wasn't going to use them today unless we had the lead. That's at least defensible.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
You can't make an error on a routine play that I make 95 out of 100 times. A major league shortstop can't be making an error on a routine play like that. You get it if there's any type of difficulty to the play, but there was none. Gave them an extra out and that's what they needed. As for Hosmer's base hit, that was a bad matchup for Santana, and in a big game there's no way he's in that spot. Dave probably wanted to get Knebel and Jansen further rest and just wasn't going to use them today unless we had the lead. That's at least defensible.

Got it. No debating Seager’s error was costly.

But, once he made the error, the team is now in a high leverage situation and we need to evaluate the moves they make after that. The game doesn’t just stop after Seager makes the error. We can’t just quit and forfeit the game after Seager makes an error.

1 out, runner on first, that situation is fixable.

If it’s a throw away game, then ok. But it didn’t feel like a throw away game based on how we set up our rotation for this series.

If we’re already hurting for relievers in a 3 game series then we’re in for a world of hurt in the upcoming 4 game series.

At some point, we’re going to need some of these starters to go 7ip to give the bullpen a rest. Our main guys are avg 6ip per start and May is avg 5ip per start. Then we have the occasional xtra innings game and it taxes our bullpen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

^
For sure, the inning isn't over after that. And it was big that he walked Tatis, and I think Tatis got too much respect from our pitchers in general in this series, given how he's been struggling and probably isn't close to 100%. But if Seager makes the simple play, Alexander is through the first 2 hitters with no problem, and then you bring Santana in to face Tatis and Machado, and he only needs to get one of them out for the inning to be over. And he did that. He had to face the extra hitter, Hosmer, because of the Seager mistake, and, as I said, that's a tough matchup for him against Hosmer. No matter what I think of the walk to Tatis, it's a tough ask for any pitcher to get both Tatis and Machado out, and he did get one of them out. He did get Hosmer to hit it on the ground, although it was hit hard.

Ultimately, I just think this was a game where Roberts wasn't willing to use Knebel (or Jansen) unless we had the lead in the 8th or later. We're playing the long game.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

^^long game for sure. Just sucks because a lot of us (myself mostly lol) really wanted to sweep the Padres. All good. Felt like we beat ourselves and man that wasn’t just some error by Seager..that was a really ugly one. Plenty of time to sharpen things up. We move
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I'll be going to the Ravine on Thursday for Dodgers-Padres, with Buehler on the hill. Pumped!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'll be going to the Ravine on Thursday for Dodgers-Padres, with Buehler on the hill. Pumped!

Cool! What kind of stadium capacity are they allowing at glorious Dodger Stadium these days?

Enjoy the game, it is nice to have three aces in the starting rotation and you will be seeing one of them.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Nice! The ravine will be ROCKIN!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Cool! What kind of stadium capacity are they allowing at glorious Dodger Stadium these days?

Enjoy the game, it is nice to have three aces in the starting rotation and you will be seeing one of them.

I think it's about 15K.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Bad balls and strikes calls are reaching critical mass. It's out of control. I can't believe there are actually people who still want these to be rendered as judgment calls.

Robo umps. Get it done.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Robo umps. Get it done.

It's time. It really is. The combination of velocity, movement, and catchers being elite at framing is simply deceiving umpires. Take it out of their hands.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

This defense!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 39 of 395
Jump to: