OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6074, 6075, 6076 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
imagine actually utilizing the MLE on a player of neead...a ball handling guard in Clarkson and then using the pick/green to get wing...

JC got more than the full MLE.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LGFan wrote:
imagine actually utilizing the MLE on a player of neead...a ball handling guard in Clarkson and then using the pick/green to get wing...

coming back to LA, Klutch client, playing with bron and AD wont have sealed the deal?

i think so
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Who are the 5 best players in the league.

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Malik Monk.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LGFan wrote:

coming back to LA, Klutch client, playing with bron and AD wont have sealed the deal?

i think so

He signed a four year deal starting at 11.5M and increasing to 14.26M in his 23-24 option year. He was not turning that down to come back to LA for a short term 9.5M deal.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject:

I see a lot of hand wringing over our lack of flexibility and how there's no way we can go after players that can move the needle. Thing is, there are guys out there just waiting for an opportunity to get into the kind of situation we have with Bron/AD that would help maximize their skillset. Guys that nobody talks about, but could contribute as solid role players if given the chance.

You have teams like the Jazz plucking guys like Ingles and Royce O'Neal off the street, and they molded themselves into impact players in their system next to Mitchell/Gobert. Less extreme examples are Bruce Brown, who's played a decent role on the Nets this year, and or Mike James in the playoffs who they literally just signed a month ago. Hell, I saw Trey Burke almost help Luka knock off the Clippers last year.

It would be great if Rob tried to identify or at least take multiple shots on these type of role players with skillsets that could fit what we're missing, rather than waste so many roster spots on dudes that you already know are realistically never going to look like they belong in a playoff game...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Malik Monk.

Pretty sure the Hornets keep him if he only gets mini-MLE offers.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
I see a lot of hand wringing over our lack of flexibility and how there's no way we can go after players that can move the needle. Thing is, there are guys out there just waiting for an opportunity to get into the kind of situation we have with Bron/AD that would help maximize their skillset. Guys that nobody talks about, but could contribute as solid role players if given the chance.

You have teams like the Jazz plucking guys like Ingles and Royce O'Neal off the street, and they molded themselves into impact players in their system next to Mitchell/Gobert. Less extreme examples are Bruce Brown, who's played a decent role on the Nets this year, and or Mike James in the playoffs who they literally just signed a month ago. Hell, I saw Trey Burke almost help Luka knock off the Clippers last year.

It would be great if Rob tried to identify or at least take multiple shots on these type of role players with skillsets that could fit what we're missing, rather than waste so many roster spots on dudes that you already know are realistically never going to look like they belong in a playoff game...

This a great point, and to back it up, Alex Caruso went undrafted and came up through the G-League before becoming an NBA champion and one of the best small guard defenders in the NBA with the Lakers.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker

No!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject:

One thing about Myles Turner: it was reported that Pritchard offered him, a 1st, and another rotation player for Gordon Hayward and Ainge turned it down last offseason. That gives me the sense that Myles isn't a priority for Indiana going forward
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject:

A guy I want is TJ McConnell

SnT Schroder for Lowry.

Lebron , Lowry and McConnell are our ball handlers is high IQ basketball running the offense.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker
wat

Lebron? Dame? Harden? Embid?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject:

I'm hopeful that Patty Mills will be within the Lakers' price range. We need vets that can provide consistency + stability.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
Halflife wrote:

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker
wat

AD, Giannis, Kawhi there's no clear top5 in this league
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Robblake wrote:
Halflife wrote:

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker
wat

AD, Giannis, Kawhi there's no clear top5 in this league

Not sure there is ever a clear Top 5....ask 10 fans, and you will always likely get 7, 8 or more names. It's all subjective, but I would not put Mitchell or Booker in the Top 5 right now. Durant, Giannis, Luka, Embiid and Jokic may get the most votes? I find it problematic that AD is not in the Top 3 or honestly the best player in the league....because he could be if he ever decides to make that level of commitment.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject:

We know that the guys returning next year will be (if not traded)...

1. Lebron
2. AD
3. KCP
4. Kuzma
5. McKinnie (I assume he is worth a roster spot @ $1.9M?)

Questions..

1. Is it still expected that Gasol will retire?

2. Are we sure Harrell will have much larger offers? Is there a chance he remains with Lakers on current deal?

3. It is a near given that THT and Caruso will be resigned with THT being restricted and having Caruso's Bird rights?

4. Also assume early bird rights will be enough to resign Morris?

5. Non-Bird rights (120%) should be enough to resign Matthews if the Lakers wish to keep him? Maybe Ben McLemore also?

6. I am not a big fan of Schroder, but given the cap situation and doubts about a potential S&T, I assume the Lakers will try to keep him using his Bird Rights?

7. Is Cacok or Kostas expected to be considered for a roster spot?

8. With the exception of trades, we will be limited to our draft pick the taxpayer MLE ($5.7 M) and minimum deals?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:

People here was hatin on Clarkson when he was here. I know they wouldn't want him back lol
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LGFan wrote:

i think so

No it would not have. Why would he sacrifice millions and millions of $$$ and years of security to play with LeBron? Because we have so many guys that joined that sacrifices years and dollars just to play with LBJ. Let me list them all below:

1) No one
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
2. Are we sure Harrell will have much larger offers? Is there a chance he remains with Lakers on current deal?

3. It is a near given that THT and Caruso will be resigned with THT being restricted and having Caruso's Bird rights?

That's a pretty good set of questions. For Harrell, I don't think it is a given that he will get an offer from anyone at the full MLE level or higher. He might, but this season didn't help his market value. Yes, there is a chance that he opts in to the last year with the Lakers, even though he knows that he would be traded. I expect him to opt out, though, because he would want a multi-year contract with security even if he gives up some money the first year.

I do not think that it is a near given that THT and Caruso will be back. I just don't know what kind of market there will be for either of them. THT sometimes gets overhyped on this board. I can't tell whether there are any teams that value THT as highly as his fans here. If there is such a team, they could make it difficult for us. There will be a market for Caruso, but he's not the kind of player that anyone would be likely to break the bank for. But if he did manage to get an MLE level offer from another team, he's probably gone.

I'm all talked out on Schroder and don't have any thoughts to contribute on the other questions.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
Halflife wrote:

No order

Luka
Steph
Spida
Kd I guess
Booker
wat

What about this year's MVP? lol.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject:

The Trezz deal just perplexes me still.

That full MLE could have been a multi-year deal, and I think Rob knew at the time Giannis wasn't coming and was already working on extending AD/LBJ, so cap issues weren't it.

We could have theoretically signed two players to close to 5m/year deals on multi year deals, but it basically went to Trezz for a 1 year rental with him sitting on the bench during the playoffs. That was a major wasted cap asset opportunity. Now he likely leaves and the opportunity cost of properly using that full MLE in the 2020 offseason just continues to grow.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Trezz deal just perplexes me still.

That full MLE could have been a multi-year deal, and I think Rob knew at the time Giannis wasn't coming and was already working on extending AD/LBJ, so cap issues weren't it.

We could have theoretically signed two players to close to 5m/year deals on multi year deals, but it basically went to Trezz for a 1 year rental with him sitting on the bench during the playoffs. That was a major wasted cap asset opportunity. Now he likely leaves and the opportunity cost of properly using that full MLE in the 2020 offseason just continues to grow.

1 of the worst use of MLE I have seen. There was absolutely no need to get montrez on this team.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
What's up with Clarkson? I feel like so many former Laker players thrive in other teams. Watching Zubac and JC in the playoffs make wonder if we could have made better decisions with our young assets. JC used to receive so much hate on LG. I feel Kuzma could be another JC if and when he played for another team. I'm guessing the pressure of playing for the Lakers and the pressure of performing inhibited the performance of these players.

We definitely got poor value in return for many of our young assets, but that was mostly because we did not have any leverage with other teams fully aware that we were focused on clearing cap space. In regards to Clarkson, he has improved, but I think the clear difference in Utah is that he has always had a consistent role in Utah. He has been the 6th man....not rotating in an out of the starting lineup....or the 8th man some nights. I think it has been critical for him to know his role and know it is not changing.

Well said man.
Clarkson has definitely improved, but I think timing had a lot to do with it, plus fit. Clarkson is really a perfect 6th man, because dude can score. The Jazz use him exactly the way we should have used Dennis, as a go to scorer off the bench. Clarkson also is not a good fit into Bron ball, since he's not your typical 3 and D off the ball type. So for us, it was timing and fit. I'm not at all surprised to see him thriving in the right environment.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

What did we get for JC? Was it a 1st and Isaiah Thomas? It's been so long.

Remember at that time everyone was pining for more picks, and there were some vocal IT fans here on LG.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

No worries. Right now I'm just stuck on the idea of trading to CLE since I'm sure Kevin Love wants to move, but it doesn't really address team needs in term of rim protection or creative playmaking. I think LAL missed out on opportunities with CP3, Bogdanovic, Lowry, and that's it for the primetime creators.

I don't get worked up with the notion that we ever missed out on a player. I just accept that teams will often like a package from another team better than what we can offer, and that every trade is a gamble that has a risk of not working out.

Trades that cause fans to cheer often have them jeering a little bit later, and vice versa. Heck, people often change their opinion on how good or bad a trade was several times as the years go by.

Today, we regret not going for Paul (whether or not they would have taken our package). But it's also possible Paul could have declined rather than continue his resurgence, and we might have ended up kicking ourselves. Ditto with Lowry. Or they could have played great and brought us a ring. You just never know, so I choose not to torture myself imagining we missed out on a best case scenario.

I do get worked up, because this is the championship window. More critical for this team than all other teams.

I suppose it's different for me because communicate to more people in the know on twitter now and not just media sources. So if you're asking me if these were possible, I'd absolutely say yes. Ditto for CP3s or Bogdan's desire to go to LA. But LAL didn't make an offer, for a series of reasons. Fine. Doesn't mean I have to like that either.

Responging to Mike's original post, I still feel that we could somehow get a Lowry for Dennis deal done, maybe with a 3rd team getting Dennis.
I'm not overly knowledgable on S&T deals. I know the team receiving a player gets hard capped. Does that mean we'd lose even the mini mle if we did execute a S&T? Could we not sign someone to the mmle then execute a S&T?
I feel Lowry would be a great fit. He's an excellent defender (still) and shooter (over 40% from 3), and if we signed him to a 2 year deal it would fit our window with Bron. He could take some ball responsibility off Bron, but also fit with him at crunch time. For all the reasons I never felt like Dennis was a good fit on the floor with Bron I think Lowry would be.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6074, 6075, 6076 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6075 of 8560
Jump to: