Becky Hammon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject:

I feel like we should have learned in the last five years, that tons of people will be quick to stand up and say that a woman should get The Job, until said woman actually has a chance to get The Job. Then, there's suddenly endless rationalizations for why said woman, who was considered a worthy candidate for The Job, when she wasn't eligible for The Job, is magically not qualified for The Job, when she becomes eligible for The Job.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
I feel like we should have learned in the last five years, that tons of people will be quick to stand up and say that a woman should get The Job, until said woman actually has a chance to get The Job. Then, there's suddenly endless rationalizations for why said woman, who was considered a worthy candidate for The Job, when she wasn't eligible for The Job, is magically not qualified for The Job, when she becomes eligible for The Job.

Obviously the first woman coach will have the toughest time for reasons not related to BBall. However it is my belief that this cant be about breaking barriers. This has to be about:

Can she get the best out of her players
Can she relate to her players
Will she be held to the same standard as male coach
Will players have to adjust to her or vice versa
Is she more qualified than the man next to her on the bench. This is more than just dues because she has paid her. Take Phil handy. IIRC he wants to be a head coach. If he were female in todays climate with his tenure are we talking about him in the same way as becky?

Women are different. i am married, I hate that im going to ask/say this but what if her cycle happens at the most inopportune time. Will she get special treatment? This is a real difference.

I think its great if she or any other woman gets a shot but lets keep it honest and make it about the game and not a moment.

Also, its ok if there are things men do and women dont and vice versa it doesnt mean we are stuck in the stone ages. It just is what it is.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Halflife wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
Men coach WNBA players. I don’t see why the opposite can’t work.

its different. Plus we are seeing a bit of a change in the NBA with young coaches. Guys that have played and arent that far removed from current generation are the guys being hired.

im not saying becky cant/wont work but just to break barriers for the sake of breaking them isnt enough of a reason IMHO unless their is a safety net for success. Because IMO if she hypothetically takes the SAS job. they arent winning and probably wont be for a while. Will she be held to the same standard of a man? If she gets fired will the narrative be " its because shes a woman", she legitimately couldn't coach or because the cupboards were bare?

When a guy gets fired its on him.

I was just referring to the original poster’s comment about how a coach of a different gender than the players might have a problem with the locker room / shower situation.

lakez34 post gave me pause on that.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
An Open Letter About Female Coaches

Pau Gasol

Quote:
I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

Love Gasol for putting this out there, and maybe this would have worked in getting Hammon hired 10 years ago, but the dynamic between players and coaches is different today than it used to be. FOs are literally consulting with their star players for many of these coaching hires, and qualifications do not mean much if she doesn't have that rapport and relationship with players. Lots of coaches won't get the consideration they deserve because of the leverage that star players have in FO decisions now. Not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is. Personally, I don't think players should have any input in personnel decisions, and the chain of command needs to be respected. Becky would be coaching today if players weren't such divas.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:

Pau Gasol

Quote:
I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

Love Gasol for putting this out there, and maybe this would have worked in getting Hammon hired 10 years ago, but the dynamic between players and coaches is different today than it used to be. FOs are literally consulting with their star players for many of these coaching hires, and qualifications do not mean much if she doesn't have that rapport and relationship with players. Lots of coaches won't get the consideration they deserve because of the leverage that star players have in FO decisions now. Not saying I agree with it, but it is what it is. Personally, I don't think players should have any input in personnel decisions, and the chain of command needs to be respected. Becky would be coaching today if players weren't such divas.

It seems like the NBA MAY be a little more diverse in the C levels but I mentioned it before. Look how much of.a struggle the NFL has with roonie rule..
Its laughable and sad. It was exciting when they announced a female ref.

Who is the most dynamic owner? Cuban? He seems to have his finger on the pulse, i could see him hiring a woman first. However he isnt risking it while Luka is young and healthy and thats the rub. Its going to have to be a total rebuild with a 2-4 yr window of experimentation with roster and an understanding that w's arent the king. That way any success will look good for her and show that it could work.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

Agreed. The nba team that gives her a shot has to be one that's young with potential. But one also without a mega star like luka. And not one that just flat out sucks. That's a no win proposition.

Honestly a team line the kings would be a good one for Becky. I bet she does a better job than Luke!

Halflife wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:

Pau Gasol

Quote:

It seems like the NBA MAY be a little more diverse in the C levels but I mentioned it before. Look how much of.a struggle the NFL has with roonie rule..
Its laughable and sad. It was exciting when they announced a female ref.

Who is the most dynamic owner? Cuban? He seems to have his finger on the pulse, i could see him hiring a woman first. However he isnt risking it while Luka is young and healthy and thats the rub. Its going to have to be a total rebuild with a 2-4 yr window of experimentation with roster and an understanding that w's arent the king. That way any success will look good for her and show that it could work.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: