OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject:

Rob is a baller
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Either Rob is going to be even more hated for this or this is the media just making assumptions/guesses as to what might have happened. Either way, we’ll soon find out if this was a clandestine bigger deal or just a pivot from Buddy to Brodie.

Quote:
However, Kings guard Buddy Hield and Wizards newcomers Kyle Kuzma and Montrezl Harrell were surprised by the rapid action that unfolded.

Almost every one that I could talk to that was involved in the potential Buddy Hield, Kings trade was kind of blindsided when it fell apart at the end,” ESPN’s Zach Lowe reported on his podcast.
The Lakers were in on talks to acquire Hield ahead of the draft.

As a matter of fact, they reportedly added their prized 2021 first-round pick to strengthen their offer. The Kings had the choice of picking between Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

According to Jason Jones of The Athletic, all the players involved in the Kings-Lakers talks believed the trade was going to happen.

“League sources said all the players involved in the much-discussed Lakers-Kings deal expected that trade to happen,” Jones wrote.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLakersReview/status/1421166984532692996
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Bron requested, Jeannie bankrolled, Pelinka delivered

Grade B but incomplete
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Either Rob is going to be even more hated for this or this is the media just making assumptions/guesses as to what might have happened. Either way, we’ll soon find out if this was a clandestine bigger deal or just a pivot from Buddy to Brodie.

Quote:
However, Kings guard Buddy Hield and Wizards newcomers Kyle Kuzma and Montrezl Harrell were surprised by the rapid action that unfolded.

Almost every one that I could talk to that was involved in the potential Buddy Hield, Kings trade was kind of blindsided when it fell apart at the end,” ESPN’s Zach Lowe reported on his podcast.
The Lakers were in on talks to acquire Hield ahead of the draft.

As a matter of fact, they reportedly added their prized 2021 first-round pick to strengthen their offer. The Kings had the choice of picking between Kuzma or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

According to Jason Jones of The Athletic, all the players involved in the Kings-Lakers talks believed the trade was going to happen.

“League sources said all the players involved in the much-discussed Lakers-Kings deal expected that trade to happen,” Jones wrote.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheLakersReview/status/1421166984532692996

I never trust that former Celtics fan Zack Morris Lowe. I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

@Ralph_MasonJr wrote:
Woj confirmed on Get Up this morning that the Buddy Hield trade had no draft pick going to Sacto

It was Trez + Kuz for Hield

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Whether you love or hate his moves... I just love the fact that he swings every summer.

Yes, it appears the MozDeng era has ended.

TrezMa?
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Whether you love or hate his moves... I just love the fact that he swings every summer.

Yes, it appears the MozDeng era has ended.

TrezMa?

What's funny is that, we traded Kuz and KCP and Trez a year after they got their new contracts. We're still paying Deng this year
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Pelinka's MO is to move before the market sets and always have a complimentary and a backup plan in the works.

When he dealt for AD, he closed the deal several days before the draft, most likely also closing on the Washington branch that openned up a max slot for Kawhi. Before the Kawhi pursuit unfolded, he arranged deals to build the roster in the event Leonard said no. When he dealt for Schroder, it was the first player transaction league wide for the 2020-21 season. Complimenting that and the departure of Danny Green, Pelinka had deals for Wesley Matthews and KCP already worked out. The deal for Russell Westbrook was once again the first major move of the offseason, coming before the NBA draft. Rob also had a backup plan in the works to add Buddy Hield in the event Washington wasn't interest in the Laker trade package.

His two resident stars hand picked Russell as their target, putting in the work to get him to press the deal on his end. Pelinka has known what the post trade roster would look like and what areas needed to be addressed. My guess is that the plan is strong.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Pelinka's MO is to move before the market sets and always have a complimentary and a backup plan in the works.

When he dealt for AD, he closed the deal several days before the draft, most likely also closing on the Washington branch that openned up a max slot for Kawhi. Before the Kawhi pursuit unfolded, he arranged deals to build the roster in the event Leonard said no. When he dealt for Schroder, it was the first player transaction league wide for the 2020-21 season. Complimenting that and the departure of Danny Green, Pelinka had deals for Wesley Matthews and KCP already worked out. The deal for Russell Westbrook was once again the first major move of the offseason, coming before the NBA draft. Rob also had a backup plan in the works to add Buddy Hield in the event Washington wasn't interest in the Laker trade package.

His two resident stars hand picked Russell as their target, putting in the work to get him to press the deal on his end. Pelinka has known what the post trade roster would look like and what areas needed to be addressed. My guess is that the plan is strong.

His MO seems to go for big names (AD, Kawhi, Westbrook) and to overpay for them. I'm not sure how much he's even in charge of this, versus just being an order taker for Lebron Inc. Not being in charge of things may be why he overpays.

His backup/complementary plan seems to be to overpay for older vets (Green, Wes).

I haven't seen a lot of great strategic thinking or impressive moves from him thus far. He has yet to make a move that both impressed and surprised me.

Having Lebron and AD as the foundation covers up a lot of iffy GM decisions, since they can succeed even with a sub-optimal team around them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I am not sure that he overpaid for Westbrook, with his salary we had to send some of our few larger contracts. He definitely overpaid for AD, there was no one else bidding against him and he sent much more than was needed to cover AD's salary. The negotiation seemed to be Griffin telling Pelinka what he wanted and Pelinka saying "ok".
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers Review: the Lakers in the last three years have acquired LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and Russell Westbrook.

True that.
Thank you Magic!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers Review: the Lakers in the last three years have acquired LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and Russell Westbrook.

True that.
Thank you Magic!

Don’t forget a 2025 2nd and a 2028 2nd. What a bargain!
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Another executive of the year level performance for Pelinka.

Let Caruso walk, and replace him with old guys like Bazemore, Wellington, and Ariza. Sorry, but I don’t share your enthusiasm.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Let Caruso walk, and replace him with old guys like Bazemore, Wellington, and Ariza. Sorry, but I don’t share your enthusiasm.

I like Caruso but people here value him too much. He's a decent defender and LBJ saw favor in him and made into an LA hero. Outside of that he's not worth that much, and the Lakers were not going to overpay. People here need to learn to think like a GM. All players have a value and fit into a certain category and that's what it's all about.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Quick and good moves
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Last season I felt like he made sensible upgrades to get younger and better talent. The fit and health just weren't the best. Hindsight is 20/20.

This off season I feel like has been a major mishandling of our assets. He overpaid for westbrook sending out two of our young rotation players and a pick for somebody nobody was bidding for, he let Caruso walk for a 9mil/year deal and for a TPE??, and its likely DS walks for nothing. To top it off hes signed all of the oldest washed up vets on the market. Hes completely lost me as a believer.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I like Caruso but people here value him too much. He's a decent defender and LBJ saw favor in him and made into an LA hero. Outside of that he's not worth that much, and the Lakers were not going to overpay. People here need to learn to think like a GM. All players have a value and fit into a certain category and that's what it's all about.

that is a ridiculous assessment of what Caruso is. He is not decent... he is freaken elite on defense which is invaluable when you have to face these crazy good guards out in the West (Steph, Booker, Mitchel, Murray, etc). Letting him walk was a crazy bad idea.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Great job by Rob so far... can't wait to see the next 2-3 players we add and who gets the $5.9M MLE
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject:

"We're putting the band back together"

- Joliet Jake Blues - Rob Pelinka
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject:

Ksig wrote:
Last season I felt like he made sensible upgrades to get younger and better talent. The fit and health just weren't the best. Hindsight is 20/20.

This off season I feel like has been a major mishandling of our assets. He overpaid for westbrook sending out two of our young rotation players and a pick for somebody nobody was bidding for, he let Caruso walk for a 9mil/year deal and for a TPE??, and its likely DS walks for nothing. To top it off hes signed all of the oldest washed up vets on the market. Hes completely lost me as a believer.

He way overpaid for AD when there was no market for him other than us, and not only did we take Westbrook's contract off Washington's hands, we also gave up our first round pick to boot. I don't see how anyone can look at all the moves we've made since he's been our GM (including the Magic era) and conclude that Pelinka is a good GM. If the argument is "rings", Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchack have had far more success than Pelinka has; and nobody thinks those two are geniuses.
Lurkernomore
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I agree that Caruso is a limited player and personally agree that many posters did overrate him. What makes him more valuable to us is the fact that we could resign him. Whether it was to play him or even if it was to trade him later (and based on what I'm hearing, there would have been a market for him), he was an asset. Is he replaceable? Absolutely! BUT not with a minimum level vet player. Putting my GM hat on, I don't see how I'd allow one of the few avenues I have to keep a decent salary slot available and simply light it on fire.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

Pelinka knows how to make moves and string multiple transactions together to completely remake a team..

Which is damn impressive. This guy is a thinker and knows how to get things done.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
Pelinka knows how to make moves and string multiple transactions together to completely remake a team..

Which is damn impressive. This guy is a thinker and knows how to get things done.

He's making me a believer. The Lakers 2022 edition is almost a completely new squad with old faces. He resigned players I thought we should have kept in the first place. 2022 is looking like a ship year. We're definitely a contender. The biggest obstacle we face is the damn injury bug. Maybe the basketball gods will smile on us next season.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Reds622 wrote:

He's making me a believer. The Lakers 2022 edition is almost a completely new squad with old faces. He resigned players I thought we should have kept in the first place. 2022 is looking like a ship year. We're definitely a contender. The biggest obstacle we face is the damn injury bug. Maybe the basketball gods will smile on us next season.

it was a shame that injuries to AD and Lebron derailed our run last season. we would've beat the suns and got into the finals, but the good thing is that no LGer will complain about how Rob broke up a championship team again.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Rob is swinging for the fences.
It is the over 35 gang.
And 32 being the young guys.

Who cares about tomorrow?

Just win now baby.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:

I barely think of Rob as the GM.

Seems like Lebron issues an order (get AD, get Westbrook), and Rob goes out and pays full retail price.

And then Rob wanders through the Dollar Store seeing who will play with Lebron for cheap.

Fortunately, if you have a healthy Lebron and AD, you can put a lot of guys around them and have a contending team. But with Rob, I don't see anyone behind the curtain orchestrating grand moves. He's an order taker.

Each of the past three preseasons I've had the same reaction to his moves: "Well, we'll see if it works out," rather than, "Man, I wasn't expecting that move -- how'd he do that!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 138, 139, 140 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 139 of 243
Jump to: