THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3131, 3132, 3133 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
My favorite list is the one where you want to spend on a bunch of things but also lower taxes.

No. The point is we pay a ton of taxes yet it doesn’t fix anything but newsome sure loves to brag about a surplus.

Homelessness is a crisis of epic proportions

Let’s start there.

Homelessness is not indigenous to California. It's a nationwide problem. I think we're 4th on the homeless list. IMO California's weather is a factor. I don't have any proof, it's just something I think. Unemployment is high on the list of reasons.

There are programs homeless people can apply for to get them off the streets. It would call for them to be responsible. Many don't want that day-to-day responsibility.

Los Angles is doing something to reduce homelessness. They're building shelters LINK This may become a state wide endevor.

You can't undo laziness. Some people just don't want to work.

The majority of homeless people don't suffer from some sort of character default. They have been exposed to an unfortunate circumstance (violence, abuse, death, bad health --> expensive bills, lack of food and water) and they don't have a support system many others do (family, friends, loved ones, inherited wealth). They turn to drugs or alcohol to supplement their detriments. They become a part of our screwed up prison industrial complex. And they are lucky to even get a minimum wage job when they are out.
Speaking of minimum wage jobs:
Quote:
Full-time minimum wage workers can’t afford rent anywhere in the US, according to a new report

CNBC.

Republicans love to bash "Democrat run" cities and states for having homelessness. But it's a matter of density and services provided. Which "Democrat run" areas have. And that's why homeless people not from "Democrat run" areas travel there. In terms of Southern California. Weather plays a roll as well. When you're living on the street, less freezing nights is a plus.

There will never be 100% employment. Just don't think it's possible in a free-market society. But we can be doing better. By addressing the root of the problem. Education, after school programs, social programs, and addressing drug abuse in a non-criminal manner. Till that that happens. And other things, I can't think of. The "problem" (I don't call them that, they are people) will remain.

Thank you. "Laziness" is an absolute non-factor in the homeless crisis. The number of people who are sleeping on the streets because they simply don't want to work is infinitesimal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

There is a ton of money. I’m sure tons of data on causes etc. on homelessness.

He brags about surplus.

It’s getting worse.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
There is a ton of money. I’m sure tons of data on causes etc. on homelessness.

He brags about surplus.

It’s getting worse.

Unfortunately, it's not a problem with a "throw a ton of money at it" fix. A problem like homelessness is so multifaceted it requires a great number strategies far more involved than financial support. What gets some people off the street is completely ineffective for others. You can building low-cost housing to provide shelter for certain people, but that isn't going to work for the mentally ill. You can provide shelters for homeless, but they come with so many restrictions that the drug addicted/alcoholic just stay away. You can provide temp housing to those who have lost their homes, but without finding ways to get them gainfully employed, temp housing isn't a solution.

I've said it before, but those who complain about homelessness the hardest simply blame the politicians they dislike and typically are the ones that really don't have constructive remedies. It's simply "get rid of (insert politician" here) without offering any further specific remedy.

I have to ask, on one hand you rail about your taxes while pointing to the surplus money in the state coffers (a surplus that means that when major crisis that can be addressed financially, such as natural disasters, infrastructure fixes etc.), one the other, you want to spend that "ton of money" chasing a problem that money alone can't fix. This begs the question, if Newsom were to simply throw that "ton of money" at homelessness, are you going to stop complaining about the taxes when the state budget is exhausted and the only way to maintain state services is to keep taxes where they are or even possibly raise them? I'd bet dollars to donuts the answer is no. Because the contradiction that Omar pointed out is obvious. You want to pay lower taxes, but you expect the state to provide the maximum amount of services.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
My favorite list is the one where you want to spend on a bunch of things but also lower taxes.

No. The point is we pay a ton of taxes yet it doesn’t fix anything but newsome sure loves to brag about a surplus.

Homelessness is a crisis of epic proportions

Let’s start there.

Homelessness is not indigenous to California. It's a nationwide problem. I think we're 4th on the homeless list. IMO California's weather is a factor. I don't have any proof, it's just something I think. Unemployment is high on the list of reasons.

There are programs homeless people can apply for to get them off the streets. It would call for them to be responsible. Many don't want that day-to-day responsibility.

Los Angles is doing something to reduce homelessness. They're building shelters LINK This may become a state wide endevor.

You can't undo laziness. Some people just don't want to work.

The majority of homeless people don't suffer from some sort of character default. They have been exposed to an unfortunate circumstance (violence, abuse, death, bad health --> expensive bills, lack of food and water) and they don't have a support system many others do (family, friends, loved ones, inherited wealth). They turn to drugs or alcohol to supplement their detriments. They become a part of our screwed up prison industrial complex. And they are lucky to even get a minimum wage job when they are out.
Speaking of minimum wage jobs:
Quote:
Full-time minimum wage workers can’t afford rent anywhere in the US, according to a new report

CNBC.

Republicans love to bash "Democrat run" cities and states for having homelessness. But it's a matter of density and services provided. Which "Democrat run" areas have. And that's why homeless people not from "Democrat run" areas travel there. In terms of Southern California. Weather plays a roll as well. When you're living on the street, less freezing nights is a plus.

There will never be 100% employment. Just don't think it's possible in a free-market society. But we can be doing better. By addressing the root of the problem. Education, after school programs, social programs, and addressing drug abuse in a non-criminal manner. Till that that happens. And other things, I can't think of. The "problem" (I don't call them that, they are people) will remain.

I'm not saying laziness is high on the grid. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 1. Fighting unemployment, drug abuse, education, things you mentioned are of much higher priority to fend off homelessness. I mentioned laziness as some. It may be given more weight than my intention. Hope that clarifies it's mention.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

When Gavin was mayor of SF he and JBrown had zero foresight. They were happy to take all of that incoming tech money without understanding the inevitable.

Horrible infrastructure
Explosion in homelessness
Bad schools.

All of that money led to unaffordable housing = homelessness
Overdevelopment of high income real estate. = homelessness
Explosion of private charter schools = fewer dollars to go around

We saw what a Gavin led state would lead to before he was elected.

Now la has a bill to ban encampments in certain areas. So our mayor, gavin’s boy wants to hide the homeless as society gets closer to normalcy. Not fix it.

Let’s fast forward to our Olympics. The homeless crisis won’t be dealt with, they will be further pushed in the shadows so we are perceived differently than what we really are.

Our tax dollars aren’t being used correctly.

Yes I hate the horrid taxes we have. Most recently a gross gas tax that was to be used on transportation. Their not. Those dollars get raided for “others”.

I could live with our high taxes if I felt like things were getting done. But they are not.

Homelessness doesn’t affect me as much as others unless a transient sets a fire which has happened on enough occasions and burns my surroundings.

It does effect me because everyone should be afforded a safe place and a chance. Obviously some prefer to be homeless but whatever.

So take our tax dollars and forget about vanity projects like the the high speed rail to nowhere and put it towards issues that matter.

Katie porter would be a great governor
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Newsom 2021

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Newsom 2021

+1

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm not saying laziness is high on the grid. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 1. Fighting unemployment, drug abuse, education, things you mentioned are of much higher priority to fend off homelessness. I mentioned laziness as some. It may be given more weight than my intention. Hope that clarifies it's mention.

Over the years, seeing your posts. I know you intentions are good. My reply was only partially toward you. And mostly toward Republicans who rely on blaming character flaws while ignoring the effects of environment.

I use this thread to vent alot. Because I bite my tongue so much at work. When conservatives say the stupidest and most out of touch things you could imagine.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
. . . Republicans who rely on blaming character flaws . . .

Being a Republican is a character flaw.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
When Gavin was mayor of SF he and JBrown had zero foresight. They were happy to take all of that incoming tech money without understanding the inevitable.

Horrible infrastructure
Bad schools.

Now la has a bill to ban encampments in certain areas. So our mayor, gavin’s boy wants to hide the homeless as society gets closer to normalcy. Not fix it.

Let’s fast forward to our Olympics. The homeless crisis won’t be dealt with, they will be further pushed in the shadows so we are perceived differently than what we really are.

Yes I hate the horrid taxes we have. Most recently a gross gas tax that was to be used on transportation. Their not. Those dollars get raided for “others”.

I could live with our high taxes if I felt like things were getting done. But they are not.

Homelessness doesn’t affect me as much as others unless a transient sets a fire which has happened on enough occasions and burns my surroundings.

It does effect me because everyone should be afforded a safe place and a chance. Obviously some prefer to be homeless but whatever.

So take our tax dollars and forget about vanity projects like the the high speed rail to nowhere and put it towards issues that matter.

Again, more criticisms and finger pointing, which isn't necessarily wrong. But you've been repeatedly asked for concrete ideas for actually effecting the changes you demand rather than just slinging arrows and yet again, you offer none.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Horrible infrastructure
Bad schools.

If you take another 1000 posts on politics, the chances are likely you might get one right by accident.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Horrible infrastructure
Bad schools.

Again, more criticisms and finger pointing, which isn't necessarily wrong. But you've been repeatedly asked for concrete ideas for actually effecting the changes you demand rather than just slinging arrows and yet again, you offer none.

People are getting paid tons of dollars with endless data with a lot of financial resources. It’s their job. That is who fingers should be pointed at.

I didn’t run on fixing las/Cali problems. He did. Pointing out crisis isn’t shooting arrows.

As I posted a bunch of pages back. We saw Gavin as mayor. We knew how he ran SF. Unfortunately we also knew he was the guy in the wings when jerry was done.

The reason people like him here it seems isn’t because of his accomplishments it’s because he’s dem.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Horrible infrastructure
Bad schools.

People are getting paid tons of dollars with endless data with a lot of financial resources. It’s their job. That is who fingers should be pointed at.

I didn’t run on fixing las/Cali problems. He did. Pointing out crisis isn’t shooting arrows.

As I posted a bunch of pages back. We saw Gavin as mayor. We knew how he ran SF. Unfortunately we also knew he was the guy in the wings when jerry was done.

The reason people like him here it seems isn’t because of his accomplishments it’s because he’s dem.

This is true. Betteer Gavin than a Repukelican.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
kikanga wrote:
. . . Republicans who rely on blaming character flaws . . .

Being a Republican is a character flaw.

You are a reliable good laugh FB.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject:

I saw a Modern Marvels (nerd alert) segment on a double hotel walkway collapse on 7/17/1981 that was industry changing. It killed something like 115 people who were there at a dance competition, and were a predominantly older clientele. Reminded me of the Florida hotel that just collapsed, but yikes at 115 in just a walkway pancake at a hotel. Weird how a loss of that magnitude could've been lost on all the coverage of the Florida story where a similar death toll took place. That's the ravage of time. In the Hyatt case, the walkways were suspended in such an absurdly light way that even a non-engineer would cringe at seeing it (basically thin rods thru hollow box beams w/ a nut n washer at the bottom point holding the entire thing up). Guy on the Marvels said a metal washer plate w/ a hole in it that cost a dollar or so might've prevented it.

Here's the 20/20 report from July 81, riveting stuff.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject:

I think Biden extending the eviction moratorium via executive order and forcing a court ruling could be effective political theater.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if this has been posted. I just heard it on MSNCB.

It's sad the effect the insurrection had, is having, on MPD officers. According to some Repukelican reps it was just a tourist crowd. Another sad note. When those responsible are uncovered nothing will happen to them.

POLITICS
Third police officer, Gunther Hashida, dies from suicide after defending Capitol during riot by pro-Trump mob

LINK

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

It's sad the effect the insurrection had, is having, on MPD officers. According to some Repukelican reps it was just a tourist crowd. Another sad note. When those responsible are uncovered nothing will happen to them.

POLITICS
Third police officer, Gunther Hashida, dies from suicide after defending Capitol during riot by pro-Trump mob

LINK

Forsaken by their own Government
Trump and all the people responsible for removing their weapons that day
and organizing the Terrorist Attack are all free
and over half a year later not a single charge

I once heard Saddam supposedly killed many of the politicians from the previous ruler
before taking control. After seeing Trump and the Government employees he hired
to harm our country it gave me some understanding of Saddam's actions

Any government officials actively responsible for the terrorist attack should be in
Leavenworth awaiting their sentencing.

Horrifying that this is America and we have citizens
so dumb they still support this criminal.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Published July 31, 2021
Updated Aug. 1, 2021

And the grift goes on. The adage Find A Fool Bump His Head is so apropos. Trump's not going to spend any of the donations on politics. He's gonna pay his bills. I'll honestly be surprised if he actually runs in 24.

LINK
Quote:

Mr. Trump raised far more money than any other Republican via WinRed, the party’s main processing site for online donations, records show, and more than each of the three main fund-raising arms of the Republican Party itself. His nearly $102 million in cash on hand was also more than each of the party committees.

Quote:
Mr. Trump made his first post-presidential speech, at the Conservative Political Action Conference, in late February and urged supporters to give to him instead of any other G.O.P. entity, positioning himself as a potential rival to the existing Republican Party apparatus

Quote:
Much of the money raised by the Trump Make America Great Again Committee came through Mr. Trump’s recurring donation program, which guided countless supporters into unwittingly making repeat donations through the use of prechecked boxes.

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

POLITICS

LINK

Four suicides now among the cops who responded to the Trump mob on Jan 6.

Quote:
Natasha Bertrand @NatashaBertrand

“MPD confirmed Officer Kyle DeFreytag died by suicide, hours after the department confirmed Ofc. Gunther Hashida died by suicide.”

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject:

When it comes to homelessness, I think one factor that both leads to it and prevents it from being improved is how much our society has demonized poor people for the last several decades.

All I hear and read from conservatives and libertarians about poor people is that they're lazy, morally bankrupt, deadbeats, drug addicts, stupid, etc. They think it's all their fault they're poor, and they act like anyone will get themselves out of poverty if they just try.

I grew up middle class, so I can't really relate, but later on I've found that life is different in poor America than it is in middle class white America. They have obstacles some of us didn't have. It ain't easy being poor, despite what Retardikkkans want us to believe.

If we want to alleviate, let alone get rid of the homelessness problem, why don't we start by being more compassionate towards poor people as a society?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject:

Is DeSantis a Russian backed terrorist or just low iq?

His care for a state of 21.5 million is going to kill Them

And spread the virus killing people in other states

Republicans can't convince me they aren't paid terrorists..ALL OF THEM
Anyone who is willing to listen to and follow orders from Trump
is a Terrorist just like Trump - A Clear and Present Danger!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject:

Also, why hasn't one single individual
who organized and paid for the Terrorist Attack on 1/6/21
Locked up

Not even one government official who stripped capitol police of manpower and weapons is arrested or charged yet.
(bleep) politicians are the greatest evil ever..Theyll burn a whole planet to the ground for mere pennies of influence
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject:

And FWIW, Someone needs to explain why 4 or 5? Officers committed suicide..

^^^looks sketchy fake conspiratorial

Was it because they were Trump supporters and they couldn't
live with themselves any longer??

Why such a huge ratio .. unheard of... committed suicide??
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject:

Since this is a poll as opposed to CDC data, I'm putting this here instead of COVID thread. As of yesterday, I believe the US finally achieved 70% vaccinated with at least one shot.

Quote:
Ryan Struyk @ryanstruyk

Vaccinated Americans via new Monmouth poll:

92% Democrats
88% over 65 years
80% college grad
71% non-White
70% women
68% all Americans
67% White
65% men
63% under 35 years
62% no degree
59% independents
51% Republicans
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3131, 3132, 3133 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3132 of 3671
Jump to: