OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6996, 6997, 6998 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject:

Chick's Magic Johnson wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
For continuity and fourth quarter blow outs I would prefer McKinnie.

At SF/ wing the Lakers have Bazemore, Ariza and THT. And let’s not forget that James guy.

James may have to use some consistent energy on defense this season. Lakers have done a great job of adding players with ball handling capabilities. James’ role changes.

James can focus on defense and as a third offensive option in half court situations. He is likely looking at about 30 mpg or less most nights. With an increase in marquee games. But if all goes right, he, Davis, and WB are sitting a lot of fourth quarters.

The last 5 on the bench should be an interesting group all season. Mainly because it will have some vets and “ big names” doing mop up time. At least that is what I am hoping as of today.

My hope is that one or two of the guys will become 2nd unit microwaves and carry the scoring load from the bench. IDEALLY (for me), Monk will have a breakout season, score 15-18 ppg and then build on his success by coming back on a 1+1.

The key to early Showtime (1979-85) was that bench unit of Cooper, McAdoo, McGee and whoever wasn't starting between Worthy/Wilkes/Kuphak & Rambis. That was a unit that came in and extended leads, often turning games into blowouts.

Of course, that was pre-salary cap and getting that collection of 2nd unit talent is tough when the Big 3 takes up all of the cap.

I would love that from Monk ... but if he breaks out big like that, he's gone. We can only offer him (correct me if I'm wrong) like a 50% pay raise, which is like $3M--nothing. If he's a 3 point sniper and 15-18 point scorer, he'll likely be in 8-figure territory.

Edit: sorry, we could offer him the MMLE at like $6M, but he'll still likely get much more on the open market.

Yeah, if Monk is back again next season, it will probably mean he didn't have a great year for us. If he actually does break out, he'll be looking for a big payday.

In the modern NBA, it's unlikely to develop and sustain a bench like we had in Showtime. The rules at the time were set up to create and sustain superteams. Today, the rules are set up to encourage player movement.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Im starting to think mckinnie is the best fit as the 3rd string guy playing both forward positions. His comfortable in that role, provides energy off the bench and is already familiar with the staff and core players. I’d also like him to learn behind ariza. I see a lot of similarities between their games, especially back during ariza’s first stint with us when he was younger.

I would like Mckinnie or Wes back as well.

Continuity is important.

No to Faried. He will be worse off than Trez was.

McKinnie sure...he was content with his position...Wes? are you kidding? Please watch the Phoenix series again and see what Booker did to him. There's a reason you don't even see Wes's name mentioned with any team. Geez even Monte Ellis, IT, Collison and now Faried are getting looks.

Im thinking of Wes as small forward which is our position of need

Wouldn’t expect him to be chasing two guards. Booker is elite..he made everyone look silly.

Kcp and Caruso got hurt so Wes got stuck on him.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

Do we really need another wing defender rather than another 4.

LBJ out Ariza, Baze THT, Ayayi and even Carmelo at the SF position
AD out LBJ and undersize Carmelo and Ariza are our option at PF

Feels like having a PF type player is more needed, Millsap would have been great, but Faried will do as an insurance 14th man.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
lurklurk wrote:
Im starting to think mckinnie is the best fit as the 3rd string guy playing both forward positions. His comfortable in that role, provides energy off the bench and is already familiar with the staff and core players. I’d also like him to learn behind ariza. I see a lot of similarities between their games, especially back during ariza’s first stint with us when he was younger.

Continuity is important.

Continuity of the end-of-the-bench guys isn't important.

We redid most of our roster.

The fact that McKinnie played 258 minutes for us last year doesn't make him any more valuable than anyone else.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
lurklurk wrote:

Continuity is important.

The fact that McKinnie played 258 minutes for us last year doesn't make him any more valuable than anyone else.

I wouldn’t expect whoever we sign next to play much at all.

Guys that know Vogel’s system and how the team plays at the end of bench could be beneficial. They’ll be valuable for the new guys in learning the new system and for practice purposes.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

Lakesh0wtime wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
lurklurk wrote:

Continuity is important.

I wouldn’t expect whoever we sign next to play much at all.

Guys that know Vogel’s system and how the team plays at the end of bench could be beneficial. They’ll be valuable for the new guys in learning the new system and for practice purposes.

I don't think that would provide any value. I don't think McKinnie will be a Laker this year. I don't think McKinnie will manage to stay on an NBA roster for the entire season, if he even gets on a roster at all.

Nothing against the guy, but as an NBA player he is inconsequential in every aspect.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject:

While I like both Ayayi and Reaves as 2way players I would have preferred one of them been signed to the regular roster and Monk not signed. I realize Monk has the one valuable commodity of being a 3pt shooter but he only did it for 1 year and is a liability on the defensive end. Begs the question why would the Hornets not retain him as the $'s is minimal? I don't anticipate him receiving much playing time this year.

I would rather see a guard/wing and a big as 2ways. Last year they wasted 2 spots with Cacok and Kostas and this year have 2 similarly sized and skilled 6'4" guards who with a year of development should be on the regular roster next year which I realize is value in itself. Last year I wanted Yurtseven to replace Kostas and now he is on the Heat regular roster after a standout SL.

This year I would take a flyer on EJ Onu who is 6'11" with a 7'8.5" wingspan and 9'6" standing reach. He played for a small NAIA school and needs a lot of development but the clay is there to be molded. Shot blocker who has the foundation of a 3pt shot.

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Sources: John Wall, Houston Rockets meet and mutually agree to work together on finding a new home for the five-time All-Star guard. Plan is for Wall to be present at training camp, but not play in Rockets games this season.

Shams

Clippers bound

Wall makes 30 mill I doubt it.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Sources: John Wall, Houston Rockets meet and mutually agree to work together on finding a new home for the five-time All-Star guard. Plan is for Wall to be present at training camp, but not play in Rockets games this season.

Shams

Clippers bound

I wonder if the Clippers would be interested in packaging Paul George if it meant they got John Wall + Christian Wood and Danuel House, I feel like that’s a risk worth seeking.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Shams

Clippers bound

I wonder if the Clippers would be interested in packaging Paul George if it meant they got John Wall + Christian Wood and Danuel House, I feel like that’s a risk worth seeking.

I doubt it
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Klutch is active.

First Simmons threatening to hold out of training camp, then the Wall pseudo trade demand and now AG on the reup.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Denver Nuggets forward Aaron Gordon has agreed to a four-year, $92 million contract extension with the franchise, his agent Calvin Andrews of Klutch Sports told @TheAthletic @StadiumDeal includes a player option for Gordon on the 2025-26 season.

Schro probably thinking, that ain’t s fair deal.

I got a feeling the Simmons trade will involve Wall in some way. Maybe Htown/Fertitta can rectify the Harden move with Morey to bring back Simmons.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Shams

Clippers bound

$44M, actually. I interpret this to mean that Houston has no intention of buying out Wall unless he takes a massive -- and I mean historically massive -- salary cut. They have no incentive to do so. They plan to play their kids. If they lose a lot of games over the next couple seasons, it's okay because they own their first round picks. Likewise, no one is going to offer $35M-ish in good contracts to get Wall, and the Rockets have no particular incentive to eat a bad contract just to get rid of Wall.

So Wall can watch the big checks get direct deposited into his account, and he can come to the games if he wants to. Otherwise, he can just be a professional and shut up, because the Rockets aren't going to write him a check for $80M to go away.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

First Simmons threatening to hold out of training camp, then the Wall pseudo trade demand and now AG on the reup.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Denver Nuggets forward Aaron Gordon has agreed to a four-year, $92 million contract extension with the franchise, his agent Calvin Andrews of Klutch Sports told @TheAthletic @StadiumDeal includes a player option for Gordon on the 2025-26 season.

I got a feeling the Simmons trade will involve Wall in some way. Maybe Htown/Fertitta can rectify the Harden move with Morey to bring back Simmons.

That would make Dreamshake a happy camper
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
While I like both Ayayi and Reaves as 2way players I would have preferred one of them been signed to the regular roster and Monk not signed. I realize Monk has the one valuable commodity of being a 3pt shooter but he only did it for 1 year and is a liability on the defensive end. Begs the question why would the Hornets not retain him as the $'s is minimal? I don't anticipate him receiving much playing time this year.

I would rather see a guard/wing and a big as 2ways. Last year they wasted 2 spots with Cacok and Kostas and this year have 2 similarly sized and skilled 6'4" guards who with a year of development should be on the regular roster next year which I realize is value in itself. Last year I wanted Yurtseven to replace Kostas and now he is on the Heat regular roster after a standout SL.

This year I would take a flyer on EJ Onu who is 6'11" with a 7'8.5" wingspan and 9'6" standing reach. He played for a small NAIA school and needs a lot of development but the clay is there to be molded. Shot blocker who has the foundation of a 3pt shot.

My sense is the Lakers grabbed every potential shooter they could get for the vet minimum, and are hoping a couple step out of the mass and produce.

It's a throw the spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks approach.

As far as Ayayi and Reaves, it's hard to imagine either one of them getting any run this year. They'll be lucky if they end the year with 20 total minutes in actual NBA games. I can't see us taking a flyer on undrafted projects this year.
Swagron12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

That would make Dreamshake a happy camper

That’s a downgrade bigtime. Can’t be too happy.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

My sense is the Lakers grabbed every potential shooter they could get for the vet minimum, and are hoping a couple step out of the mass and produce.

It's a throw the spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks approach.

As far as Ayayi and Reaves, it's hard to imagine either one of them getting any run this year. They'll be lucky if they end the year with 20 total minutes in actual NBA games. I can't see us taking a flyer on undrafted projects this year.

Agree I don't expect either 2way to get much playing time this year, just that either could have replaced Monk on the roster without much loss of production.

Undrafted projects belong on 2ways and not much loss if they don't pan out except opportunity if there is a project player like Yurtseven who could bring value if his development pans out.

PF/C's with a 3pth shot and can contribute on the defensive end is not a common commodity but so valuable if you have one. Reminds me of Chris Boucher who took time to develop but is now a solid rotation player that would fit nicely on this Lakers team.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

I think Philly fans would burn down the arena if that happened ... haha.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

Im thinking a Morey wants a win-now distressed asset player along with future 1sts. A Wall bundled with future 1sts via the Harden trade package makes sense for Philly, but Htown is going to drive a hard bargain seeing how Philly really has no leverage.

Quote:
Sources said the Rockets do not want to give up first-round draft compensation in a Wall trade and would not have interest in discussing a buyout until possibly after free agency next summer. – via Tim MacMahon @ ESPN

Meanwhile Okc is laying in the cut ready to take on a salary dump.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

Houston and Philly GMs are Bozos. Philly wouldn't put ben in a Harden trade now they can't get more than Dangelo Russell for Ben. Houston traded away James Harden to the team he wanted and they get Victor O instead of Lavert smh now they don't even have Victor anymore. They don't even have the guy they traded victor for anymore lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Shams

Clippers bound

$44M, actually. I interpret this to mean that Houston has no intention of buying out Wall unless he takes a massive -- and I mean historically massive -- salary cut. They have no incentive to do so. They plan to play their kids. If they lose a lot of games over the next couple seasons, it's okay because they own their first round picks. Likewise, no one is going to offer $35M-ish in good contracts to get Wall, and the Rockets have no particular incentive to eat a bad contract just to get rid of Wall.

So Wall can watch the big checks get direct deposited into his account, and he can come to the games if he wants to. Otherwise, he can just be a professional and shut up, because the Rockets aren't going to write him a check for $80M to go away.

The Andre Iguodala strategy. Makes sense. Unless Houston is getting a ton of cash back, they might as well wait. Maybe Wall's value as a trade item will go up in his final year of his contract.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
PF/C's with a 3pth shot and can contribute on the defensive end is not a common commodity but so valuable if you have one. Reminds me of Chris Boucher who took time to develop but is now a solid rotation player that would fit nicely on this Lakers team.

The Lakers aren't a good place for him. We're focused on winning now. He'd be better off with a crappy team that has the time for projects.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

I don't see Philadelphia caving and doing a bad deal. I think Simmons will start the season with the team. After that, we'll see.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:

Charlotte cut bait on Monk after his drug suspension. It's understandable that they wouldn't extend him, but he did improve (PER wise) every season. I'm surprised that they didn't trade him. Then again, trading for a druggie is always risky and the NBA hallway is littered with the bodies of guys who drank, injected, smoked and snorted their way out of the league.

I hope Monk can be the feel good story of the year. Even if he balls out, I wouldn't expect (smart) GMs to go beyond the MLE. Many will be of the mindset that Monk held it together on a team filled with strong veteran leaders (Bron, Rondo, DJ, Melo, WB) and will wonder if he will revert to past behavior on a different team that doesn't have the same culture/chemistry.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

The Lakers aren't a good place for him. We're focused on winning now. He'd be better off with a crappy team that has the time for projects.

As a 2way? If you don't believe the Lakers are able to develop him then that is different but the Lakers have excellent development staff in Handy, Lucas and other associated coaches. Onu would b in an optimal position to learn from some of the best. Hey they kept Kostas and Cacok for 2 years and they won a championship and would have contended last year if not for injuries so I don't believe it matters on the winning now.

As you previously stated you would not expect the 2ways to get 20 minutes total this year so it should not matter who it is.

Do you feel a player like Onu would be better served on a crappy team so he can get playing time or he won't receive the attention from the coaches?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Then again, trading for a druggie is always risky and the NBA hallway is littered with the bodies of guys who drank, injected, smoked and snorted their way out of the league.

Did not want to mention it but that is one of the reasons I was surprised the Lakers signed him. Yes it is available everywhere but signing in LA?

It is a tough fight and I hope the Lakers can provide the support he needs.

Jalen Harris, Tyreke Evans, the list is ugly taking down some really talented players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6996, 6997, 6998 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6997 of 8560
Jump to: