OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6997, 6998, 6999 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
PF/C's with a 3pth shot and can contribute on the defensive end is not a common commodity but so valuable if you have one. Reminds me of Chris Boucher who took time to develop but is now a solid rotation player that would fit nicely on this Lakers team.

The Lakers aren't a good place for him. We're focused on winning now. He'd be better off with a crappy team that has the time for projects.

As a 2way? If you don't believe the Lakers are able to develop him then that is different but the Lakers have excellent development staff in Handy, Lucas and other associated coaches. Onu would b in an optimal position to learn from some of the best. Hey they kept Kostas and Cacok for 2 years and they won a championship and would have contended last year if not for injuries so I don't believe it matters on the winning now.

As you previously stated you would not expect the 2ways to get 20 minutes total this year so it should not matter who it is.

Do you feel a player like Onu would be better served on a crappy team so he can get playing time or he won't receive the attention from the coaches?

Oh, I thought you were suggesting giving Onu a roster spot. if you're just talking about the 2-way spots, I'm indifferent who those go to. I have no idea if Onu is a better or worse prospect than Reeves or Ayayi.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I disagree on Monk. I think it's worth taking a risk on him. Yeah there's not much long term benefit due to the high likelihood that he'll move on next season.

But he has higher upside (with ability to contribute) than any undrafted and most all unsigned free agents right now. He's not currently a good NBA player but he is a legitimate average level NBA player. He had a pretty decent shooting year this last season (will he keep it up, who knows?). But he does at this point deserve to be in the league. So for a minimum contract I'd take him over almost everything else available on a minimum contract.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Charlotte cut bait on Monk after his drug suspension. It's understandable that they wouldn't extend him, but he did improve (PER wise) every season. I'm surprised that they didn't trade him. Then again, trading for a druggie is always risky and the NBA hallway is littered with the bodies of guys who drank, injected, smoked and snorted their way out of the league.

I hope Monk can be the feel good story of the year. Even if he balls out, I wouldn't expect (smart) GMs to go beyond the MLE. Many will be of the mindset that Monk held it together on a team filled with strong veteran leaders (Bron, Rondo, DJ, Melo, WB) and will wonder if he will revert to past behavior on a different team that doesn't have the same culture/chemistry.

Just bear in mind that he has been a terrible defensive player. Last year, he ranked 115th out of 116 SGs in DRPM, right behind Lou Williams. The previous year, he was 133rd out of 138, just ahead of RJ Barrett and Buddy Hield. The year before that he was 115th out of 123, just ahead of Grayson Allen and Buddy Hield. There's more to his story than just the drugs.

Maybe he'll get it together and become a real player. I have nothing against him. But if you don't play defense, I don't see how you get a lot of minutes from Vogel. That's where he needs to improve.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
I disagree on Monk. I think it's worth taking a risk on him. Yeah there's not much long term benefit due to the high likelihood that he'll move on next season.

But he has higher upside (with ability to contribute) than any undrafted and most all unsigned free agents right now. He's not currently a good NBA player but he is a legitimate average level NBA player. He had a pretty decent shooting year this last season (will he keep it up, who knows?). But he does at this point deserve to be in the league. So for a minimum contract I'd take him over almost everything else available on a minimum contract.

This is a one year roster. Rob put all his eggs in one basket. It's championship or bust. The 1 year contracts know that. If the Lakers and the Nets are healthy it's gonna be one hellofa final.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Charlotte cut bait on Monk after his drug suspension. It's understandable that they wouldn't extend him, but he did improve (PER wise) every season. I'm surprised that they didn't trade him. Then again, trading for a druggie is always risky and the NBA hallway is littered with the bodies of guys who drank, injected, smoked and snorted their way out of the league.

I hope Monk can be the feel good story of the year. Even if he balls out, I wouldn't expect (smart) GMs to go beyond the MLE. Many will be of the mindset that Monk held it together on a team filled with strong veteran leaders (Bron, Rondo, DJ, Melo, WB) and will wonder if he will revert to past behavior on a different team that doesn't have the same culture/chemistry.

Just bear in mind that he has been a terrible defensive player. Last year, he ranked 115th out of 116 SGs in DRPM, right behind Lou Williams. The previous year, he was 133rd out of 138, just ahead of RJ Barrett and Buddy Hield. The year before that he was 115th out of 123, just ahead of Grayson Allen and Buddy Hield. There's more to his story than just the drugs.

Maybe he'll get it together and become a real player. I have nothing against him. But if you don't play defense, I don't see how you get a lot of minutes from Vogel. That's where he needs to improve.

iirc wasn’t there multiple posts just a few weeks ago stating that all Heild needed to be a good defender was some time with Vogel? Wouldn’t the same apply to Monk?

Not overly worried about Monk’s defense. He is a bench player capable of scoring against other bench players. His role is not to play anything but work hard at passable defense. Same role as Ellington.

I think the bench has some serious potential. A combo of Nunn, Monk, with a little Rondo sprinkled in can do wonders for keeping the starters on the bench and rested throughout the season.

And the possibility of him being here one year is meaningless. It’s an all in season with another expected restock of half the team next year anyways.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

iirc wasn’t there multiple posts just a few weeks ago stating that all Heild needed to be a good defender was some time with Vogel? Wouldn’t the same apply to Monk?

Not overly worried about Monk’s defense. He is a bench player capable of scoring against other bench players. His role is not to play anything but work hard at passable defense. Same role as Ellington.

I think the bench has some serious potential. A combo of Nunn, Monk, with a little Rondo sprinkled in can do wonders for keeping the starters on the bench and rested throughout the season.

And the possibility of him being here one year is meaningless. It’s an all in season with another expected restock of half the team next year anyways.

The Lakers aren't prioritizing defense like on the past. If we were we wouldn't have Melo Ellington and DAJ on this team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

I gotta assume the team that is willing to take on John Wall are a team that is close to becoming a playoff team.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject:

It's the silly season. People come up with all sorts of theories and rationalizations. We're both veterans of this board. I can't believe you just accepted that sort of argument at face value. I don't even remember seeing it. If I did, I probably rolled my eyes and forgot about it.

Vogel's a good defensive coach. He's not an alchemist. If it's lead, it stays lead. I cannot think of any player who was a bad defender before Vogel who became a good defender under Vogel. I guess you could make an argument for Schroder, but he wasn't a bad defender and he didn't really become a good defender. I'd say he marginally improved, but that may be as much a function of the scheme as anything Vogel did to improve his individual defense. There are some other guys like Kuzma and Caruso who may have improved, but they weren't ever terrible defenders. They got better as they got more playing time. They certainly didn't flat out suck in their fourth season in the league.

Again, I've got nothing against Monk. It would be great if he finally started playing defense. I would love to be wrong about this one. But magical thinking is a danger in the silly season. There aren't many players who significantly upgrade their defense after four years in the league. I won't say that it's zero, but Monk doesn't strike me as the exception to the rule.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I gotta assume the team that is willing to take on John Wall are a team that is close to becoming a playoff team.

What makes you assume that?

Any team taking on Wall is going to have to work in his $44.3 million salary, post draft and free agent signings, so they are going to have to drastically alter their roster.

Wall hasn't played in 70+ games since 2016-17. I would NOT pin my playoff hopes on him if I were a GM.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Frankie to Dallas & Dante to Htown.

Quote:
@TheSteinLine
Dallas is expected to sign Ntilikina in coming days, league sources say, after the Mavericks were widely expected to draft him in 2017. Ntilikina went No. 8 overall to the Knicks; Dallas selected Dennis Smith Jr. at No. 9.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Free agent guard Dante Exum is nearing a deal to return to the Houston Rockets, sources tell @TheAthletic@Stadium. Exum played in only 24 games last season, but has returned to full health and averaged 9 points and 2.8 assists in Australia’s Bronze medal run in Tokyo Olympics.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

It's going to be interesting to see who wins SG minutes between Monk, Ellington, Bazemore, and THT.

Monk is probably under the most pressure.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

It's going to be interesting to see who wins SG minutes between Monk, Ellington, Bazemore, and THT.

Monk is probably under the most pressure.

Guessing Bazemore when the dust settles, since the 1-2 extra 3s Monk/Ellington might hit won't offset what they give up on D.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
@TheSteinLine
Dallas is expected to sign Ntilikina in coming days, league sources say, after the Mavericks were widely expected to draft him in 2017. Ntilikina went No. 8 overall to the Knicks; Dallas selected Dennis Smith Jr. at No. 9.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Free agent guard Dante Exum is nearing a deal to return to the Houston Rockets, sources tell @TheAthletic@Stadium. Exum played in only 24 games last season, but has returned to full health and averaged 9 points and 2.8 assists in Australia’s Bronze medal run in Tokyo Olympics.

In the words of Marv Albert “we have reached extensive gar-barge time” in free agency.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
@TheSteinLine

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

In the words of Marv Albert “we have reached extensive gar-barge time” in free agency.

rob shoulda signed ntilikina instead of monk
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
@TheSteinLine

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

Monk might have been the best undervalue signing of the off season
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
@TheSteinLine

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

Your joking, right?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
@TheSteinLine

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

Monk might have been the best undervalue signing of the off season

There is a big scrum of guys competing for the 2 spot, and a couple of them are going to lose out.

I could see it going either way with Monk. If his three point shooting from last year was a fluke, he could easily find himself glued to the bench.

Bazemore probably has the edge because he's the best defender. After him, the best thing for the team would be if THT takes a leap. Ellington is the best proven shooter so he's in the mix to.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's the silly season. People come up with all sorts of theories and rationalizations. We're both veterans of this board. I can't believe you just accepted that sort of argument at face value. I don't even remember seeing it. If I did, I probably rolled my eyes and forgot about it.

Vogel's a good defensive coach. He's not an alchemist. If it's lead, it stays lead. I cannot think of any player who was a bad defender before Vogel who became a good defender under Vogel. I guess you could make an argument for Schroder, but he wasn't a bad defender and he didn't really become a good defender. I'd say he marginally improved, but that may be as much a function of the scheme as anything Vogel did to improve his individual defense. There are some other guys like Kuzma and Caruso who may have improved, but they weren't ever terrible defenders. They got better as they got more playing time. They certainly didn't flat out suck in their fourth season in the league.

Again, I've got nothing against Monk. It would be great if he finally started playing defense. I would love to be wrong about this one. But magical thinking is a danger in the silly season. There aren't many players who significantly upgrade their defense after four years in the league. I won't say that it's zero, but Monk doesn't strike me as the exception to the rule.

Apparently my sarcasm was too subtle concerning Hield’s and Monk’s defense improving. When Hield was the flavor of the week early in free agency there was a counter argument that he would be a better defender starting for the Lakers. Just part of how silly this free agent ride gets.

Monk is intriguing. From what I have seen, he has been inconsistent in effort and impact. If he stays focused and we get the best of Monk…. Could become a special bench player.

JMO but I think the SG rotation will be Bazemore starting, Monk the super sub and Ellington as the 3pt specialist used only on certain situations. THT is going to earn mpg at SF.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
Klutch is active.

First Simmons threatening to hold out of training camp, then the Wall pseudo trade demand and now AG on the reup.

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
Denver Nuggets forward Aaron Gordon has agreed to a four-year, $92 million contract extension with the franchise, his agent Calvin Andrews of Klutch Sports told @TheAthletic @StadiumDeal includes a player option for Gordon on the 2025-26 season.

Schro probably thinking, that ain’t s fair deal.

I got a feeling the Simmons trade will involve Wall in some way. Maybe Htown/Fertitta can rectify the Harden move with Morey to bring back Simmons.

Houston and Philly GMs are Bozos. Philly wouldn't put ben in a Harden trade now they can't get more than Dangelo Russell for Ben. Houston traded away James Harden to the team he wanted and they get Victor O instead of Lavert smh now they don't even have Victor anymore. They don't even have the guy they traded victor for anymore lol

The team got what they wanted…salary relief for the owner and draft picks. LaVert has salary on the books. Oladipo doesn’t.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

29 other GMs weren't interested in Ntilikina either.

Yeah, our GM made a mistake when other teams are literally dumpster diving. Guys getting picked up in mid-September are on the verge of being out of the league. There have been some reclamation projects for some of these guys, but generally if they're not signed at this point in the season most teams have lost confidence the guy is a difference maker.

Maybe Monk is on the same level, in which case we're basically discussing which guard collecting DNPs deserves a roster spot, no? Which is to say, it literally doesn't matter.

In any event, Ntilikina is a PG so I am confused as to why the team would need a 4th PG. He would literally never play while Monk could get some PT.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:09 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Ntilikina might be the worst offensive player I've ever seen in the NBA. Even defense loving Thibs barely played him.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:
@TheSteinLine

Quote:
@ShamsCharania

Your joking, right?

He has to be
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Ntilikina might be the worst offensive player I've ever seen in the NBA. Even defense loving Thibs barely played him.

Excellent point!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

Shams Charania wrote:
Sep 14, 2021ReplyRetweetFavorite

Buyout?

No one is taking on that contract, even as a “ballast” (LG’s buzz word of the summer) for another deal.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject:

Apparently my sarcasm was too subtle concerning Hield’s and Monk’s defense improving.

I find it reassuring that you were being sarcastic, but sarcasm and irony are hazardous during the silly season.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6997, 6998, 6999 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 6998 of 8560
Jump to: