THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3184, 3185, 3186 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Fwiw, the criminal justice system has moved pretty quickly on the people who stormed the Capitol. Identifying, arresting, charging, and in some cases already convicting and sentencing. And yes I know, we’ve only seen the intial small fry get small sentences for fairly minor crimes. The people with the heavy felonies haven’t been tried yet.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I get you in general, but not sure what you’re looking for here that hasn’t been done yet. It looks like they actually are going to go after these people for contempt. Are you implying that they aren’t going to or that there is some other mysterious remedy that they should be pursuing?

I'm saying that any remedy is gone. Partisan lawlessness now rules the day. There is no doing it by the book anymore because the book has been burned and its ashes buried. I'm not looking for anything, because I can seen down the road. None of this will get punished, and certainly not in any meaningful fashion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Fwiw, the criminal justice system has moved pretty quickly on the people who stormed the Capitol. Identifying, arresting, charging, and in some cases already convicting and sentencing. And yes I know, we’ve only seen the intial small fry get small sentences for fairly minor crimes. The people with the heavy felonies haven’t been tried yet.

I want to see felons go through Judge Chutkan court. If they're found guilty I think she'll mete out heavier sentences than a lot of judges.

I'm banking on other judges seeing the damage done by the insurrection and making felons pay a heavier price than misdemeanors.

'There have to be consequences:' Judge ups sentences for Capitol rioters

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

You do realize that despite one judge who has acted aggressively, many others have expressed concern about how people have been undercharged and been given lenient proposed sentences?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I get you in general, but not sure what you’re looking for here that hasn’t been done yet. It looks like they actually are going to go after these people for contempt. Are you implying that they aren’t going to or that there is some other mysterious remedy that they should be pursuing?

I'm saying that any remedy is gone. Partisan lawlessness now rules the day. There is no doing it by the book anymore because the book has been burned and its ashes buried. I'm not looking for anything, because I can seen down the road. None of this will get punished, and certainly not in any meaningful fashion.

^This.

This is why I used to think both parties were the same.
It is like the police/Chief/DA/Governors etc all corrupt so they just don't shake the skeleton closet

*I think the judges were lenient because they felt sorry for these brains in front of them-Getting suckered by a Slickster/Grifter con man. I would have created strong probation that required them to somehow educate themselves and/or get counseling.

There is one guy who has been skipping these subpoenas for two Trumpster Fires now.. what is his name.. I gave up

Anyone in the higher ups who weakened the security forces - Manslaughter charges and incarceration is what they are facing.. beyond the other attacks against the government.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

You do realize that despite one judge who has acted aggressively, many others have expressed concern about how people have been undercharged and been given lenient proposed sentences?

Because the police forces in their cities and states are oath keepers and other racist whackjobs?
Some of those that work forces
Are the same that burn crosses

Change the color of their skin and see what the sentences would've been.

Native Americans defending their monuments = Terrorists
White people attacking and murdering police in our nations capitol = Misdemeanors

Only one of them shot... (bleep) if the attackers were indigenous peoples or minorities it would've been a hollywood level bloodbath
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject:

Supposedly Sinema hasn't held one town hall since taking office.. so.. Could someone file for an ethics investigation and force her to answer for why

We need someone to dig dirt on her and to reign her in via political violations or something anything

Could she have been a long game republican plant? Lie through everything to fill the hot ticket progressive seat and then become a Republicrat.. or hold a Dem seat but really be a republican?

Both her and Manchin have just raked in huge donations from Energy and Pharmaceuticals .. sigh

Is anything ever a violation in politics.

Manchin was bad enough but now there are two.. never allowing the Democrats to hold actual power.. Destroying us from the inside
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Supposedly Sinema hasn't held one town hall since taking office.. so.. Could someone file for an ethics investigation and force her to answer for why

We need someone to dig dirt on her and to reign her in via political violations or something anything

Could she have been a long game republican plant? Lie through everything to fill the hot ticket progressive seat and then become a Republicrat.. or hold a Dem seat but really be a republican?

Both her and Manchin have just raked in huge donations from Energy and Pharmaceuticals .. sigh

Is anything ever a violation in politics.

Manchin was bad enough but now there are two.. never allowing the Democrats to hold actual power.. Destroying us from the inside

nothing you can do if she keeps getting voted in
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

A country built on slavery, theft of land, racism, misogyny, and homophobia is in for some karmic retribution.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject:

Colin Powell, military leader and first Black US secretary of state, dies after complications from Covid-19 at 84

(He was fully vaccinated but also immune compromised due to blood cancer.)

Last edited by ChefLinda on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: RIP Colin Powell

Colin Powell passes from COVID complications. He was a globally respected American. A Vietnam veteran that spent a lifetime in public service....long enough to anger partisans on both sides. One of the few men that when partisans disagreed with his position, it often began with a caveat and a "but" which is one of the only figures in American public service that garnered that level of universal respect.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject:

Here's more evidence of Koch funded right-leaning plans to takeover school boards and how operatives masquerade as "just a concerned parent" at school board meetings and in the press. This person also seems to be "pretending" to be a Democrat:

How Virginia school boards are being weaponized to help elect a GOP governor

Quote:
"I am a concerned parent. I am not a plant. I am not an activist. And as anyone who knows me, I've always been identified as a Democrat," Virginia resident Harry Jackson said on an October 14 appearance on Fox News. Jackson has been outspoken at school board meetings in Northern Virginia's Fairfax County, which is a key battleground in Virginia's upcoming gubernatorial election.

Jackson is a parent. He was recently elected president of the Thomas Jefferson High School Parent Teacher Student Association. But that is not the full story.

Jackson is also part of the "Leadership Team" of Parents Defending Education (PDE), a dark money group created earlier this year. In its first tweet, PDE said its intention was to "build a grassroots army to begin reclaiming our K-12 schools."

Quote:
While PDE claims to be non-partisan, it has deep ties to the right-wing Koch political operation. The president of PDE is Nicole Neily, who also serves as the president of Speech First, another self-proclaimed "grassroots" organization that targets college campuses. Neily has refused to disclose Speech First's donors but its board includes "a former head of a Koch-backed trust and two conservative attorneys from Koch-funded programs." Neily previously worked at the Independent Women's Forum, another dark money group funded by the Charles Koch Institute, and Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity, which Columbia Journalism Review reported in 2013 was "the Kochs’ leading media investment to date.”

Quote:
Prior to joining PDE, Jackson co-founded Coalition for TJ, a group that opposes changes to admission policies at Thomas Jefferson High School. In March, Coalition for TJ filed suit to invalidate the changes. In that suit, the group is represented by the Pacific Legal Foundation, a right-wing legal group that received $1,000,000 from the Charles Koch Foundation in 2019.

Jackson is also directly involved in Virginia's gubernatorial election. Jackson is an active participant in "Educators for Youngkin," which is part of the campaign of Republican nominee Glenn Youngkin. The chairwoman of "Educators for Youngkin" is Suparna Dutta, who founded Coalition for TJ with Jackson.

Quote:
While Jackson publicly claims to identify as a Democrat, he frequently promotes messages supporting Youngkin and attacks Democrats on his Twitter account.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject:

Joe Manchin and Kristen Sinema are paid actors. Change my opinion.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject:

He lied to Congress, to the entire nation, about WMD in Iraq, which led to a never ending war, countless men and woman either killed or living on with PTSD. I am sure there is a circle in hell reserved for Colin Powell.

I heard he was double vaxxed, not even science could save his miserable life from the plague.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Colin Powell

adkindo wrote:
Colin Powell passes from COVID complications. He was a globally respected American. A Vietnam veteran that spent a lifetime in public service....long enough to anger partisans on both sides. One of the few men that when partisans disagreed with his position, it often began with a caveat and a "but" which is one of the only figures in American public service that garnered that level of universal respect.

He was a piece of (bleep). Full stop.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject:

Trillions of dollars spent on a trumped up war. I don't EVER want to hear the words freedom and patriotism hijakced by war hawks again. That entire ilk is on their way out and can stfu with it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: RIP Colin Powell

adkindo wrote:

Unfortunately he surrendered any integrity he was esteemed for when he conspired with Bush et al to lie to the world in order to justify an invasion of Iraq. He was clearly an evil person despite the accolades and it's gross seeing so many people ignore that while fawning all over him in death.

Rot I Pieces Colin.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

Revisionist GOP History: to look upon favorably because of death

Hell Effing No

The world becomes a less miserable place as GOP'ers die off . . .

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Revisionist GOP History: to look upon favorably because of death

Hell Effing No

The world becomes a less miserable place as GOP'ers die off . . .

It’s not just Republicans who are glorifying Powell.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
It’s not just Republicans who are glorifying Powell.

dumbasses

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject:

Colin Powell

Tim Scott

Larry Elder

Daniel Cameron

Herman Cain

enemies of the people

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/magazine/colin-powell-iraq-war.html

very long read but is gives alot of intel on what was going on behind the scenes before the Iraq war. Powell was the lone reasonable voice in the room who thought the Iraq War would be a bad idea (which it was) but was drowned out by Bush, Cheney, Rumsfled, and a host of others.
He also was highly hesitant on the intel report he was to present and questioned the validity of many parts but at this point everyone else was already in lock-step to give him the answers that would convince him to agree on the report and not divulge any counter points that would have had him bail out. Should he have dug deeper on this until he was 100% confident what he was going to present? Yes, but Im not going to vilify him over this. Theres plenty of other people who deserve that much more in that administration.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

very long read but is gives alot of intel on what was going on behind the scenes before the Iraq war. Powell was the lone reasonable voice in the room who thought the Iraq War would be a bad idea (which it was) but was drowned out by Bush, Cheney, Rumsfled, and a host of others.
He also was highly hesitant on the intel report he was to present and questioned the validity of many parts but at this point everyone else was already in lock-step to give him the answers that would convince him to agree on the report and not divulge any counter points that would have had him bail out. Should he have dug deeper on this until he was 100% confident what he was going to present? Yes, but Im not going to vilify him over this. Theres plenty of other people who deserve that much more in that administration.

The contempt for those who perpetuated the lies that led to the invasion isn't a pie with only so many pieces. There's plenty to go round, including for Powell.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LIE AFTER LIE: WHAT COLIN POWELL KNEW ABOUT IRAQ 15 YEARS AGO AND WHAT HE TOLD THE U.N.

The evidence is irrefutable: Powell consciously deceived the world in his 2003 presentation making the case for war with Saddam Hussein.

Jon Schwarz
February 6 2018, 5:38 a.m.

COLIN POWELL DELIVERED his presentation making the case for war with Iraq at the United Nations 15 years ago, on February 5, 2003.

As much criticism as Powell received for this — he’s called it “painful” and something that will “always be a part of my record” — it hasn’t been close to what’s justified. Powell, who was secretary of state under President George W. Bush, was much more than just horribly mistaken: He fabricated “evidence” and ignored repeated warnings that what he was saying was false.

Unfortunately, Congress never investigated Powell’s use of the intelligence he was given, so we don’t know many of the specifics. Even so, what did reach the public record in other ways is extremely damning. While the corporate media has never taken a close look at this record, we can go through Powell’s presentation line by line to demonstrate the chasm between what he knew and what he told the world . . .

. . .

Clearly, Powell’s loyalty to Bush extended to being willing to deceive the world: the United Nations, Americans, and the coalition troops about to be sent to kill and die in Iraq. He’s never been held accountable for his actions, and it’s extremely unlikely he ever will be.

The Intercept
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

The contempt for those who perpetuated the lies that led to the invasion isn't a pie with only so many pieces. There's plenty to go round, including for Powell.

Powell deserves a little extra helping for knowing better and not only going along, but helping to make the case publicly for it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3184, 3185, 3186 ... 3671, 3672, 3673  Next
Page 3185 of 3673
Jump to: