PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Snipes wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Low Leverage Trea....

Guy never hits when a team really needs him and only gets hits in low leverage situations. Not that this is a surprise since he pulled this (bleep) in Washington as well. Like I said....another Piazza.......choker when it really matters.

Idk if I’d go that far but his game is so reliant on creating hits rather than getting actual hits. It’s tough to watch sometimes and why I think we will never pay him long term and why Washington didn’t want to either. It’s even tougher for him now because the power seems to be gone and it’s mostly infield or bloop hits.

His game sounds like Ichiro.

How was Ichiro at getting hits when needed?

In his rookie year he was super clutch but i don’t remember if he was clutch after that year.

There are players who are average or below average during the season but step it up in big games. It seems like Trea is the opposite. He just doesn't have it in big games. I hope I am wrong and we see the regular season Trea tomorrow.

Yea i saw he was a choker from the first playoff game I ever saw of him when he batted leadoff for Washington after batting 0.342 in the regular season. I knew this guy did not have it. Now with experience some guys do improve their "clutchness" like Belli and Seager - both of whom were also bad at bats in critical moments in the past. Trea Turner, however, still does not have it. If a pitcher makes his pitch in a high leverage moment in the playoffs, low leverage Trea will be 99% out.

Ditto AJ Pollock who also still does not have "it." As pathetic as these guys are in the highest leverage situations, I almost would prefer Julio Urias batting than these two in the biggest moments. Urias has everything you want in a clutch player. This guy is Fernando, Schilling, Bumgarner, Morris level clutch

True. If you asked what the memorable plays were in the WC game and NLDS, then I would say Urias rbi single, CT walkoff, and Belli's go ahead hit in game 5. Guy's like JT and TT were nowhere to be found. Hell even Seager and Mookie's hits seems like meaningless hits to some degree. Our first four batters in the line up are not doing what they are suppose to be doing.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject:

We should have won regardless of the field...But, it's hard not to think about winning almost 20 more games than them, and then having to get on a cross country flight to meet them while they've been resting. The fact that the world series goes off of best record...MLB has some really stupid/inconsistent rules.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
We should have won regardless of the field...But, it's hard not to think about winning almost 20 more games than them, and then having to get on a cross country flight to meet them while they've been resting. The fact that the world series goes off of best record...MLB has some really stupid/inconsistent rules.

It's beyond stupid.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

We could have a Hall Of Fame player at the plate in a close game with a man on third and less than 2 outs, and they will -- and do -- fail. Been watching it all year long. Been watching us give games away all year long. No, my friends, this isn't about where the game was played. It could be at Dodger Stadium or in a parking lot. And some of you wonder why Roberts tried to pull off a safety squeeze with Taylor in the 9th inning of Game 5. Because he's seen it also. He figured, hey, if he just gets the bunt down anywhere, it's a free run with as fast as Lux is. But nope, we screw that up too.

I'm telling you, I've been watching Dodger baseball actively for almost 35 years. I have never been more frustrated by a team that this year's Dodger team, and we still might win the World Series. What a ridiculously bad loss, and at some point, possibly in this series I fear, it's going to bite us. We've been chasing this entire season. Can't get ahead. Here's a clearly inferior team, and we just handed them a game in the postseason. It's one thing to do that in the regular season. At some point, we aren't going to be able to overcome these horrible losses. This wasn't about a back-and-forth game with many chances for each side. This was giving them a free run in the 1st inning because of a wild pitch, which, by the way, is the second time we've done that in 7 postseason games, which is pretty remarkable (looking at you, Will Smith). It's about Mookie taking a 1-0 center-cut fastball with a man on third and 1 out. I wanted to gouge my eyes out. SWING THE BAT! ATTACK! He was never going to see a better pitch and I knew he was probably going to fail as soon as that happened. There's just no reason to take that 1-0 pitch. Look, if you pop it up or swing and miss or something, which could happen, you won't like the result, but at least it would have been the right process. I have no idea why you would take in that spot, when you should be looking to attack in that situation when you don't even need to get a hit to get the run in. It's not the time to try to go deep into an at-bat. I seriously screamed when he took that pitch, I just could not believe it. I get it if he takes a good pitcher's pitch on the corner for a strike. It just shows he was looking to take a strike in that spot and that's just not the right process with a man on third and less than 2 outs. You need to be aggressive early in the count in that situation, especially ahead 1-0, and if he was looking breaking ball, well, that's incredibly awful on his part. 1-0 you should be looking to hunt.

And on the Chris Taylor mishap, what I would have said even before it happened, had I been on here, was that he HAS to steal 2nd base there on the first pitch. Not the second pitch. The first pitch. It's essentially a free stolen base in that situation, when you have a reliever in the game (they all take forever to get the ball to the plate), a reliever who is going to be throwing breaking balls to Bellinger, and off a catcher who only threw out something like 5 men all season. You saw Albies go. You just have to go in that situation, because there's so much more to gain as opposed to the damage if you actually get thrown out. If he's standing on 2nd, he scores on that ball, and Smith is going to continue to throw Bellinger sliders anyway. You have to put pressure on the other team there and it's probably 90-95% that he steals the base. What he then did in even considering taking an extra base, when it's then not needed because you're already in scoring position with 2 outs, is one of the dumbest baserunning plays I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm upset and frustrated tonight. Nothing gets me like bad baseball. For a team that wins as often as we do, we sure do play a lot of bad baseball.

Oh, and Justin Turner needs to sit tomorrow. He looks as lost as Bellinger did for the entire regular season.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Hope Belli is in the line up tomorrow playing center. He would of caught that ball.

what I was thinking...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject:

I don’t get why we play station to station baseball. In football terms, this is like run-run-pass type playcalling. So conservative and so passive.

We have a bunch of players who aren’t clutch yet we continue in believing that we can string together 3 walks/hits in an inning to score, while waiting for that magical 3 run HR.

Come to think of it, how many non-solo HRs have we hit in these 7 games?

————-

In summarizing our playoffs so far:

-We’ve played 7 playoff games.

-struggled to score in 5

-shut down by:

1) Wainwright (5.1ip, 1 run)
2) Webb (7.2ip, 0 runs)
3) Wood (4.2ip, 0 runs)
4) Webb (7ip, 1 run)
5) Fried (6ip, 2 runs)

Total: 30.2ip, 4 runs. 1.17 ERA

-we’ve been able to hit 2 starters:

1) Gausman (5.1ip, 4 runs)
2) DeSclafani (1.2ip, 2 runs)

We’re lucky our pitching staff has been out of this world because honestly we should have been eliminated already with this type of dreadful offensive production.

We can rightfully blame the players for their awful offense. But the team philosophy of playing station to station baseball doesn’t help.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I don’t get why we play station to station baseball. In football terms, this is like run-run-pass type playcalling. So conservative and so passive.

We have a bunch of players who aren’t clutch yet we continue in believing that we can string together 3 walks/hits in an inning to score, while waiting for that magical 3 run HR.

Come to think of it, how many non-solo HRs have we hit in these 7 games?

————-

In summarizing our playoffs so far:

-We’ve played 7 playoff games.

-struggled to score in 5

-shut down by:

1) Wainwright (5.1ip, 1 run)
2) Webb (7.2ip, 0 runs)
3) Wood (4.2ip, 0 runs)
4) Webb (7ip, 1 run)
5) Fried (6ip, 2 runs)

Total: 30.2ip, 4 runs. 1.17 ERA

-we’ve been able to hit 2 starters:

1) Gausman (5.1ip, 4 runs)
2) DeSclafani (1.2ip, 2 runs)

We’re lucky our pitching staff has been out of this world because honestly we should have been eliminated already with this type of dreadful offensive production.

We can rightfully blame the players for their awful offense. But the team philosophy of playing station to station baseball doesn’t help.

I agree about the poor offense...With our lineup, they have underperformed the entire year IMO. But, on your point about the station to station baseball. All those pitchers you mention are lefties. That unfortunately takes away Trea and Mookie's ability to steal, as they're looking right at them the whole time.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I agree about the poor offense...With our lineup, they have underperformed the entire year IMO. But, on your point about the station to station baseball. All those pitchers you mention are lefties. That unfortunately takes away Trea and Mookie's ability to steal, as they're looking right at them the whole time.

Yeah, only Fried and Wood are lefties. That’s 10ip out of around 63ip in the playoffs.

I mean, if you look hard enough, you’ll always be able to find reasons why we don’t steal in any particular situation. But you can’t deny that it’s an organizational philosophy to not run.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We could have a Hall Of Fame player at the plate in a close game with a man on third and less than 2 outs, and they will -- and do -- fail. Been watching it all year long. Been watching us give games away all year long. No, my friends, this isn't about where the game was played. It could be at Dodger Stadium or in a parking lot. And some of you wonder why Roberts tried to pull off a safety squeeze with Taylor in the 9th inning of Game 5. Because he's seen it also. He figured, hey, if he just gets the bunt down anywhere, it's a free run with as fast as Lux is. But nope, we screw that up too.

I'm telling you, I've been watching Dodger baseball actively for almost 35 years. I have never been more frustrated by a team that this year's Dodger team, and we still might win the World Series. What a ridiculously bad loss, and at some point, possibly in this series I fear, it's going to bite us. We've been chasing this entire season. Can't get ahead. Here's a clearly inferior team, and we just handed them a game in the postseason. It's one thing to do that in the regular season. At some point, we aren't going to be able to overcome these horrible losses. This wasn't about a back-and-forth game with many chances for each side. This was giving them a free run in the 1st inning because of a wild pitch, which, by the way, is the second time we've done that in 7 postseason games, which is pretty remarkable (looking at you, Will Smith). It's about Mookie taking a 1-0 center-cut fastball with a man on third and 1 out. I wanted to gouge my eyes out. SWING THE BAT! ATTACK! He was never going to see a better pitch and I knew he was probably going to fail as soon as that happened. There's just no reason to take that 1-0 pitch. Look, if you pop it up or swing and miss or something, which could happen, you won't like the result, but at least it would have been the right process. I have no idea why you would take in that spot, when you should be looking to attack in that situation when you don't even need to get a hit to get the run in. It's not the time to try to go deep into an at-bat. I seriously screamed when he took that pitch, I just could not believe it. I get it if he takes a good pitcher's pitch on the corner for a strike. It just shows he was looking to take a strike in that spot and that's just not the right process with a man on third and less than 2 outs. You need to be aggressive early in the count in that situation, especially ahead 1-0, and if he was looking breaking ball, well, that's incredibly awful on his part. 1-0 you should be looking to hunt.

And on the Chris Taylor mishap, what I would have said even before it happened, had I been on here, was that he HAS to steal 2nd base there on the first pitch. Not the second pitch. The first pitch. It's essentially a free stolen base in that situation, when you have a reliever in the game (they all take forever to get the ball to the plate), a reliever who is going to be throwing breaking balls to Bellinger, and off a catcher who only threw out something like 5 men all season. You saw Albies go. You just have to go in that situation, because there's so much more to gain as opposed to the damage if you actually get thrown out. If he's standing on 2nd, he scores on that ball, and Smith is going to continue to throw Bellinger sliders anyway. You have to put pressure on the other team there and it's probably 90-95% that he steals the base. What he then did in even considering taking an extra base, when it's then not needed because you're already in scoring position with 2 outs, is one of the dumbest baserunning plays I've ever seen.

Yeah, I'm upset and frustrated tonight. Nothing gets me like bad baseball. For a team that wins as often as we do, we sure do play a lot of bad baseball.

Oh, and Justin Turner needs to sit tomorrow. He looks as lost as Bellinger did for the entire regular season.

That Betts at bat had me very steamed too and that was before the next two pitches which were great pitches on Matzek's part. I knew that was the one to swing at as well after ball one. Thats the kinda (bleep) that caused Mookie to have a bad year at the plate in 2017 where he took too many pitches....before he fixed it and attacked the strike zone and hit 0.346 in 2018.

As for JT and CT, i know those boys are clutch so you will never hear me get on them too much. CT's mistake is something anybody can make as that is a brain fart mistake and CT usually doesnt make those types of mistakes. Im willing to let that one go....not to mention if you ask me to honestly guess what would happen next, i would say runners left on base as Mookie flies out even though their Will Smith is a choker as well. JT does look bad but we all know he is never scared of the moment but more like he has lost his timing and has no rhythm. Im willing to wait it out for him but I would drop him in the batting order to like 6th or 7th.

Its Low Leverage Trea who I will get on. Notice Low Leverage Trea's at bats in big moments vs low leverage moments in the playoffs not only this year but throughout his entire career......stark difference. If Skip Bayless on undusputed talked baseball, he would single out Low Leverage Trea as the choker who puts up regular season numbers but shrinks in the playoffs
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

No Justin Turner in the lineup today. Good.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I wouldnt have taken out Turner. He will find his swing....we just need to wait it out. Pollock really over JT?????? WHY?????
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I wouldnt have taken out Turner. He will find his swing....we just need to wait it out. Pollock really over JT?????? WHY?????

Because he sucks right now. Dude swung at a pitch that bounced in front of the plate last night. Which makes Doval hitting him in Game 5 all the more a gift. He's lost. Looks like Bellinger did for the entire regular season. Give him a day to clear his head, actually 2 days since there's the travel day tomorrow. He's also a liability in the field.

I've been very critical of Roberts at times over the years. I think he's doing a great job this postseason, though.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Because he sucks right now. Dude swung at a pitch that bounced in front of the plate last night. Which makes Doval hitting him in Game 5 all the more a gift. He's lost. Looks like Bellinger did for the entire regular season. Give him a day to clear his head, actually 2 days since there's the travel day tomorrow. He's also a liability in the field.

I've been very critical of Roberts at times over the years. I think he's doing a great job this postseason, though.

Taking out Turner for the reasons you stated is fine as anyone can see he is terrible right now if you are inserting hot hitters in his place. In no universe am I putting Pollock over Turner in a critical playoff game as its not like Pollock is doing great either. Lets not forget Pollocks wonderful swings and misses on pitches nowhere near the strike zone that he always manages to pick up only during playoff games. And Im not looking at numbers with Pollock either as while his abysmal numbers are better than Turner's he too is a low leverage player. In a key at-bat, he will always be an automatic out like Low Leverage Trea. Id rather keep the hope with Turner unless he really is hurting physically. Finally as bad as Turner has looked, Pollock's at bats look even worse even though he has more hits. Pollock is the choker who cant keep his emotions in check. Turner is the guy who has lost his rhythm and timing. Between those two flaws, ill take my chances on the guy who can find his timing than a guy with a character flaw of being unable to find his cool in the biggest moments.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Pollock is not an automatic out. Yeah, he's striking out some, but who isn't? The Braves struck out 14 times last night. At least he's actually getting some hits. Turner looks lost. It's not just that he's making outs. He looks bad. Give him a game to clear his head. I think it's a good move. It's early enough in the series to where he can still make an impact later, if this does some good. Maybe he's nursing an injury that's affecting him, who knows. What I do know is that he sucks out loud right now. And, as I said, his defense is a major liability. If he's lost at the plate, he's not helping the team.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I still have to ask, if Turner was on the brink of being benched, why was he continually batting in the 4 hole?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Taking out Turner for the reasons you stated is fine as anyone can see he is terrible right now if you are inserting hot hitters in his place. In no universe am I putting Pollock over Turner in a critical playoff game as its not like Pollock is doing great either. Lets not forget Pollocks wonderful swings and misses on pitches nowhere near the strike zone that he always manages to pick up only during playoff games. And Im not looking at numbers with Pollock either as while his abysmal numbers are better than Turner's he too is a low leverage player. In a key at-bat, he will always be an automatic out like Low Leverage Trea. Id rather keep the hope with Turner unless he really is hurting physically. Finally as bad as Turner has looked, Pollock's at bats look even worse even though he has more hits. Pollock is the choker who cant keep his emotions in check. Turner is the guy who has lost his rhythm and timing. Between those two flaws, ill take my chances on the guy who can find his timing than a guy with a character flaw of being unable to find his cool in the biggest moments.

I agree with you on that JT is still a better option than Pollack. Also even though JT made an easy error in game 5, I would still take JT at 3rd base over Taylor. However, I think Roberts just wants to give him a breather and what better time to do that than when Max is pitching.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Bill Shaikin
@BillShaikin
·
32m
Dave Roberts on benching Justin Turner: He had a stinger on the right side of his neck yesterday. Couldn’t turn his neck to the right.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Bill Shaikin
@BillShaikin
·
32m
Dave Roberts on benching Justin Turner: He had a stinger on the right side of his neck yesterday. Couldn’t turn his neck to the right.

Well there we go. That answers the million dollar question.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Bill Shaikin
@BillShaikin
·
32m

Well there we go. That answers the million dollar question.

Good now this makes sense and Dave clarified he can be expected back by game 3 with pinch hit duties if necessary today
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject:

At the time I thought Taylor was going to make it to third base. But ChickenStu makes a really good point about it being so important not to get thrown out in that spot. I have to see it again. At the time I was confident he would make it to 3rd.

Quote:
But then Chris Taylor got indecisive.

"I tried to stop," he said. "I should've kept going."

Quote:
Atlanta Braves second baseman Ozzie Albies was shaded toward shallow right field and came just shy of making a leaping catch on Bellinger's liner.

"To be honest with you, I thought he was going to be at third already once I jumped and the ball went over my head," Albies said. "When I turned around and I saw him halfway and he stopped, I said, 'OK, we got him.'"

What was the third base coach telling Taylor? I couldn’t see him on the replays.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Pollock hit a double yesterday and scored a run to tie the game at 1-1. That alone makes me have more confidence in him than in Justin Turner.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Basehit Mookie
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Corey Boom

2-0
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

That's last year's swing from Seags....

If he can start to get it going.....

Kiss my Converse.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Trea Turner is still hitting 3rd. At this point I prefer Bellinger and I’m being serious.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 291, 292, 293 ... 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 292 of 395
Jump to: