General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 473, 474, 475 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject:

Video Gray asked Floyd if he would accept Manny's challenge. Floyd didn't respond. Manny wants to go, Floyd didn't accept the challenge.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

These are great analysis.

Manny Pacquiao vs Keith Thurman - Film Study

Manny Pacquiao - Complete Film Study
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

Santillan, 23, is second boxer to die this week

Quote:
Argentine boxer Hugo Alfredo "Dinamita" Santillan died Thursday in Buenos Aires of injuries suffered in the ring during Saturday's draw against Uruguayan fighter Eduardo Javier Abreu. He was 23.

LINK
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Santillan, 23, is second boxer to die this week

Quote:
Argentine boxer Hugo Alfredo "Dinamita" Santillan died Thursday in Buenos Aires of injuries suffered in the ring during Saturday's draw against Uruguayan fighter Eduardo Javier Abreu. He was 23.

LINK

Boxing at its core is a pretty dangerous sport. Unlike MMA, where the ref usually calls a fight after somebody takes a swam of punches, a boxer can take a bunch of punches and still keep fighting.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

I understand why boxers choose to fight tomato cans when they reach a certain status in the sport. Every time they crawl between the ropes and enter the canvas jungle they put their lives on the line. The intention to render an opponent unconscious being the ultimate goal.

Look around, see how many boxers have slurred speech and unsteady movement. Ali didn't take a lot of head shots but the body absorbed a beating, one that finally took it's toll.

Say what you will about Floyd but he used the game, didn't allow it to use him. If the money's right I think he'll fight Pacman. It'll be a boring snooze fest that will set another PPV record. Floyd will prevail and smile all the way to the bank.

Fan blood lust is part of the game. Watching one person beat the $hit out of another is what fills arenas. I'll admit to being one who likes to see a KO but also enjoy seeing the art of boxing, "Hit and not be hit." Pernell Whitaker.

Boxers are warriors similar to those who fought in ancient Greece. In those fights ones life would depend on a or . Today many times the life is in the hands of corners and referees.

What bothers me most is the people who make the real money don't take the risks. They dress Armani and sit behind expensive desks. I advocate a portion of all fights go into a health care, retirement fund for boxers.

Query; Does SS take from boxers winnings?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Yuriorkis Gamboa and Roman Martinez showed Gamboa still has hand speed. What surprised me was his power. He hadn't had a KO in 5 years but he stopped Roman in the 2nd round.

Gervonta Davis vs Ricardo Nunez another early KO. I thought the stop was early but in light of recent deaths in the ring I understand.

Floyd was in attendance. Gray said Tank Davis was the star but Mayweather is the PPV star. He asked him if we'd see that star shine again, Floyd said "I don't know." Sounds like Pacquiao vs Mayweather snooze fest is about to be hyped.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Yuriorkis Gamboa and Roman Martinez showed Gamboa still has hand speed. What surprised me was his power. He hadn't had a KO in 5 years but he stopped Roman in the 2nd round.

Gervonta Davis vs Ricardo Nunez another early KO. I thought the stop was early but in light of recent deaths in the ring I understand.

Floyd was in attendance. Gray said Tank Davis was the star but Mayweather is the PPV star. He asked him if we'd see that star shine again, Floyd said "I don't know." Sounds like Pacquiao vs Mayweather snooze fest is about to be hyped.

Gamboa looked fast or Martinez was just that slow, this is kinda like Pacquiao-Mattyse

Davis - Nunez was great, crowd was lit and I thought Nunez was very much into the fight til he got caught (he didn't pay attention) and with 2 during match boxing deaths announced before the fight, the ref had to be extra cautious and stopped the fight. He coulda taken an 8 count and see if he gets his legs back, overall great fight, Gervonta looked prime
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Gamboa looked fast or Martinez was just that slow, this is kinda like Pacquiao-Mattyse

Davis - Nunez was great, crowd was lit and I thought Nunez was very much into the fight til he got caught (he didn't pay attention) and with 2 during match boxing deaths announced before the fight, the ref had to be extra cautious and stopped the fight. He coulda taken an 8 count and see if he gets his legs back, overall great fight, Gervonta looked prime

I agree. I thought he should have been given a 8 count. Nunez seemed surprised he wasn't given one.

Harvey Dock was in a very precarious position due the last weeks boxing deaths. If he'd let Ricardo continue and he'd suffer serious injury I think that may have been the end of Harvey's career.

Tank has a great future before him, he's a beast.

Osei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Yeah, I was at the card in Baltimore (my hometown) this past Saturday. Tank looked great, though I think he'll need to beat another world champion-level fighter in his prime (like Farmer) before he can be considered pound-for-pound. On the co-main, Gamboa looked good too, though Rocky Martinez is certainly washed at this point. A fight between Tank and a fighter with similar speed and punching punching power like Gamboa would be very interesting. Gamboa is past his prime but he is a smart, skilled boxer with more experience than Tank so would be interested in seeing how that fight plays out. Gamboa is also still undefeated at 130 lbs assuming the fight takes place at that weight.

This card took place in the same state that Maxim Dadashev lost his life in last week (Maryland). The increase in medical staff ringside this past Saturday night was very noticeable...
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Another brilliant analysis.

Manny Pacquiao new techniques in Kieth Thurman Fight !

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Tank needs to fight Loma. No one else stands a chance, and that is the fight to make.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Tank needs to fight Loma. No one else stands a chance, and that is the fight to make.

Why hasn't a rematch with Orlando Salido been made?

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject:

Orlando Salido retired about a year ago
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:

That's a good reason. Did they ever try to make a rematch?

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Yes, they did, but Salido wanted a crap ton of money. Did you watch the foul-filled first fight that Salido won controversially (in Loma's second professional fight), or are you just trolling?

Mayweather has spoken about not wanting Tank to fight Loma, so the real question is why not? This argument is akin to Mayweather wanting Pac to fight Marquez a 5th time before fighting him, so I am not surprised Tank is following Mayweather's lead here.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Yes, they did, but Salido wanted a crap ton of money. Did you watch the foul-filled first fight that Salido won controversially (in Loma's second professional fight), or are you just trolling?

Mayweather has spoken about not wanting Tank to fight Loma, so the real question is why not? This argument is akin to Mayweather wanting Pac to fight Marquez a 5th time before fighting him, so I am not surprised Tank is following Mayweather's lead here.

First, I never troll. I've watched every one of Lomo's fights. At first I wasn't on board with him. I grew to respect his abilities. I was very impressed with his 4 straight RTD.

Mayweather's part of the reason we don't get the best to fight the best. I say part because all promoters protect THEIR interests. They don't give a $hit about the fighters, it's all about them.

I understand why May doesn't want Gervonta to fight Vasiliy. He's a cash cow and Loma may milk him. I think it would be a great fight. I also want to see Bud and Errol.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

First, I never troll. I've watched every one of Lomo's fights. At first I wasn't on board with him. I grew to respect his abilities. I was very impressed with his 4 straight RTD.

Mayweather's part of the reason we don't get the best to fight the best. I say part because all promoters protect THEIR interests. They don't give a $hit about the fighters, it's all about them.

I understand why May doesn't want Gervonta to fight Vasiliy. He's a cash cow and Loma may milk him. I think it would be a great fight. I also want to see Bud and Errol.

Tank is young though. I don't see his value being greatly diminished any more than Canelo's was for losing to Floyd. Unfortunately, Bud vs. Spence won't happen until both fighters are old or one loses for the same reasons you stated above; these promotional tactics are killing the sport imo.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

Tank is young though. I don't see his value being greatly diminished any more than Canelo's was for losing to Floyd. Unfortunately, Bud vs. Spence won't happen until both fighters are old or one loses for the same reasons you stated above; these promotional tactics are killing the sport imo.

Tank has youth in his corner, he's 24, Loma's 31. Tank's fought 22 times, Loma 14. As you say his value may not be diminished. I think Loma's would. I give Loma an advantage for less wear and tear. It's a shame we may never see Bud and Errol in their prime as we had to wait on May and Pac.

I see another May and Pac on the horizon. I won't buy it. I'll go to a friends house. Last one was at the house of a friends cousin. I think he may do it again.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

IBF strips Canelo of title, angers De La Hoya

Quote:
Middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez is in the market again for a fall opponent after negotiations for one of his mandatory defenses against Sergiy Derevyanchenko ended with no deal on Thursday afternoon and resulted in his being stripped of the IBF 160-pound title.

LINK
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Middleweight world champion Canelo Alvarez is in the market again for a fall opponent after negotiations for one of his mandatory defenses against Sergiy Derevyanchenko ended with no deal on Thursday afternoon and resulted in his being stripped of the IBF 160-pound title.

LINK

This is weird. I thought they were close to a deal and DAZN approved Derevyanchenko as an opponent (instead of GGG or Kovalev).
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Donair wil face Inoue on November 7. This Inoue is a monster with 18 wins and these 16 wins by KO.

Naoya Inoue-Nonito Donaire WBSS final set for November 7th in Tokyo

Quote:
Despite a stretch of uncertainty that had one fighter ready to pull out, the Super Series tournament final nobody expected is reportedly all set. The tournament’s Twitter teased news coming “very soon,” but The Athletic beat them to it; Naoya Inoue and Nonito Donaire will reportedly duke it out on November 7th in Tokyo, Japan.

It’s the second WBSS Season Two final to receive a date, the first being Josh Taylor-Regis Prograis on October 5th. The cruiserweight final between Mairis Briedis and Yuniel Dorticos, which will unify three titles, remains under construction.

Inoue (18-0, 16 KO) being here is no surprise; the 26-year-old phenom entered the tournament as the #2 seed and has looked every bit “The Monster” in his brutal beatdowns of Juan Carlos Payano and Emmanuel Rodriguez. Boasting arguably the best body attack in the sport and downright unfair power, he was a staple of pound-for-pound lists even before his rampage through the tournament.

Donaire (40-5, 26 KO) being here, by contrast, is a suggestion that would have gotten you laughed out of the room back before the first round. When given the choice of four unranked opponents in the quarterfinals, #1-seed Ryan Burnett elected to face “The Filipino Flash,” who hadn’t fought at 118 pounds since dominating Omar Narvaez in 2011 and had lost two of his previous three bouts. Burnett wound up suffering a freak back injury and bowing out after four rounds, leaving Donaire to fight #3 Zolani Tete, who defeated former Olympic standout Misha Aloyan in his own quarterfinal.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/8/6/20756435/naoya-inoue-nonito-donaire-wbss-final-set-november-7th-tokyo-dazn
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

When you become a cash cow things start to change. Canelo never ducked anyone. I wonder of Oscar De La Haya is the reason for this?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna watch the Lomachenko vs Campbell fight. I have ESPN+ Does it air on any other venue?

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

When you become a cash cow things start to change. Canelo never ducked anyone. I wonder of Oscar De La Haya is the reason for this?

Canelo ducked GGG for a good two years or so. If you avoid a fighter for years and eventually fight them when they're older, you still ducked, and you don't get the credit you would have if you fought them in their prime. Same scenario with Floyd ducking Pacquiao all those years.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm gonna watch the Lomachenko vs Campbell fight. I have ESPN+ Does it air on any other venue?

Unfortunately, no. I am going to stream it since i don't have ESPN+.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 473, 474, 475 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 474 of 514
Jump to: